2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Das Knecht said:
Oh, perfect. Let's ally with Russia, tell NATO they can't fight with Russian troops any longer, that'll stop them from invading Ukraine!  :roll:

Yeah, it will. Did you read any of what I posted or did you just drop in to give your horrifically uneducated opinion on yet another subject?

If sanctions were going to stop Russia from invading the Ukraine they would have done so by now. Because last I checked, they still de facto own part of the country.

Das Knecht said:
It's like you just don't give a flying **** about Russia annexing a part of another country and invading it with its own military, let alone trying to stage a violent coup to take over the entire Eastern Ukraine (and who knows what else).

Let's be real here, most of the world gives exactly zero ****s about Russia invading anything beyond perhaps a "proper Western European" nation.

Best case, someone will post something on social media mentioning how sad it is, but in regards to actually doing something, I doubt you'd find many willing people.

Úlfheðinn said:
Let's be real here, most of the world gives exactly zero ****s about Russia invading anything beyond perhaps a "proper Western European" nation.

Americans are supposed to have a missile site in Poland sometime in 2017 or 2018*. I think they would care a lot if such installations got in Russian hands.

* assuming the Donald doesn't cancel it

I'd also like to say that even if most people really don't care where Russia invades, they should. But I seriously doubt that most people don't care at all, especially if it's in Europe or somewhere close to the EU, which is USA's strongest ally. The normal reaction is to care for a moment, then go back to your everyday life - so people do care, but they are preoccupied with something more directly important to them.

Feragorn said:
Was that part of the proposed European missile defense network or do you mean forward ICBM positions?

Ehhhh...I think the missile defense? It's supposed to be called Aegis something. One site is already in Romania and another one should be in Poland soon.

Das Knecht said:
I'd also like to say that even if most people really don't care where Russia invades, they should. But I seriously doubt that most people don't care at all, especially if it's in Europe or somewhere close to the EU, which is USA's strongest ally. The normal reaction is to care for a moment, then go back to your everyday life - so people do care, but they are preoccupied with something more directly important to them.

Certainly that's part of it, but I think the deterrent is more "not wanting to get into a shooting war with Russia" rather than "meh, eastern europe doesn't matter".

It's much easier to justify invading Iraq, for example, when people didn't really like Saddam and it fit in the context of the wider war on terror. Invading eastern Ukraine to dislodge "rebels"? Retaking Crimea from Russia? Try explaining that one at the Security Council.

Feragorn said:
Das Knecht said:

Certainly that's part of it, but I think the deterrent is more "not wanting to get into a shooting war with Russia" rather than "meh, eastern europe doesn't matter".

It's much easier to justify invading Iraq, for example, when people didn't really like Saddam and it fit in the context of the wider war on terror. Invading eastern Ukraine to dislodge "rebels"? Retaking Crimea from Russia? Try explaining that one at the Security Council.

Yep, the key is really if Russia's (or anyone's) actions can be successfully framed as a threat big enough to risk war or at the very least merit a military response, in the case of Crimea/Ukraine the answer was clearly "no".

Das Knecht said:
The normal reaction is to care for a moment, then go back to your everyday life - so people do care, but they are preoccupied with something more directly important to them.

Sure, but the end result is the same, the average American/Euro doesn't care enough to go fight a war with Russia over Ukraine. Of course, as you and others have pointed out if they start pushing further West then things could very quickly change.

Hey...Does that mean we don't have to give a crap if Russia starts anexing the UK after Brexit? :iamamoron:

Back
Top Bottom