2012 - Our doom year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swadius said:
You can read more about human bad-assery in the face of humans here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumansAreWarriors

I absolutely love that page.
Especially the 4chan link on that one.

Hell, the whole description of C&C3(which I hate as far as story go if you don't count this bit) makes it awesome.

Yeah, another thought, what if alien culture doesnt have warfare in it?
Humans are in fact warriors, and have many milleniums with warfare experience on a greater scale. Perhaps the aliens used money and time on other things than weapons, because they didnt find it needy?

i dunno lol

Ill just wait till they come then.

It's called a "Kzinti Lesson*" and I doubt said aliens would be incapable of causing it.

*If you really need help with that, another term would also be "Weaponised Exhaust."
Actually, here's the definition: "The more efficient a reaction drive, the more effective a weapon it makes."

Atlantis evry one knows it dissapier in deep blue sea try change sea and sky
evry one knows gods are in sky
when Spain army was seaking for gold in south amerika indians was thinkung they are gods it repet in war USA and Japan when USA was on lonley island there was indians and think they are gods

Atlantis was big REALY BIG but it was not space **** ti was planetary station with laboratories and town and farms and ... space ship culd be 100 kilometers long why not? they are traveling on wery long distance and on evry planet on their path they want to know somthing about our planet and us so they learned how to comunikate with us they did not give us technology somthing moooooore valuable knowledge and informations geology, architecture, anatomy, medicin, balistic, chemystry and more

how they know somthing about our anatomy?
simple they study us how? simply when some one died they heave study object ther was small probley they did not know when someone die and we did not heave freezer they teached us somthing similar like mumification

simly they was nice they was scientists and i think they give us somthing maby it was eldorado no not gold (ok maby it was gold) but important is what was writen on this peace of gold

there was army to protect them Zeus lightnig maby it was just some weapon to show theyr power

what do you think (but eglic  :???: )

Learn to be at least readible then. I don't speak English as a first langauge. But you don't see me making a excuse going around for my grammar errors and so forth. Look at the basic langauge rules and apply them.

Back on topic, I personally think the 2012 theory is another media cough up that is a huge misinterpretation on a actual positive thing. The Mayan calander ends at 2012. That does not mean the endo f the world, by actual archaelogical findings and the few preserved Mayan codexes still left, the end of the Calander symbolizes an end of a era, and a birth of a new one.

So really we shouldn't be wailing that 2012 is a apocalyptic end of the world scenario. if anything we should be rejoicing that its a new "Era."

For me as well, I don't beleivei n prophecies, but if I got a reason to be happy, I be happy mhm?

Started before that, but ti deosn't really matter if it did or not. It's same crap as the Y2K bug. Now that I think of it, they are almsot EXACTLY alike.

Y2K was about all the computers in the world not having any dates past the year 2000, Which is utterly ridiclous, and resetting to 1900. Which means all the computers in the world, including governmental ones where it controls nukes airplanes and other things vital to society would crap out and glitch causing the basic end of the world catastrophe. That sounds as stupid as 2012 as well. Both are screw ups in a Calander, both will not happen.

King of Scotland said:
Didn't the whole "world ends at 2012" thing started after the movie "2012"...?  :roll:

no, the movie was inspired by the date in the Mayan calendar and used the media buzz surrounding that as free advertising. then the writers came up with a "possible" global catastrophe as a setting for the film and we get another disaster film with little substance built on pseudoscience

Majhudeen said:
Y2K was about all the computers in the world not having any dates past the year 2000, Which is utterly ridiclous, and resetting to 1900. Which means all the computers in the world, including governmental ones where it controls nukes airplanes and other things vital to sicety would crap out and glitch causing the basic end of the world catastrophe. That sounds as stupid as 2012 as well. Both are screw ups in a Calander, both will not happen.

the Y2K bug had a real basis because, either to save money or lack of foresight, the early microchips didn't have enough bits to store the full date and only used the last 2 digits of the year.
the panic arose when people couldn't remember whether important systems had chips with a 2 digit year and which had chips with a 4 digit year and didn't know what would happen when they rolled over to "00".

it was blown out of all proportion, and a lot of consultancies made a lot of money over it, but the basic problem did exist

Yeah but it was overly exaggerated eithier way :roll:, as you said in your own words, blown out of preportion. :cool:

many people believe that the reason there was no problem with Y2k was that for the years leading up to it old chips with 2 digit dates were replaced in the systems that would have gone tits up.

the problem was that no-one knew what would happen to those systems. there was no precedent.
so when the problem was discovered, people took steps to prevent it and, seeing as how the world didn't end, those measures were successful.

other problems didn't have world ending potential, but automatic billing systems would print the date on invoices by already having the 19 as part of the code and just adding the last 2 digits to it.

this would have meant that millions of invoices could have been contested as they would have been charging customers who weren't alive at t he time the invoice was dated.
would you pay a bill charging you for services in the 1900's?

Bolkonsky said:
We oughta just find a Mayan, and have him add a few thousand more years to it.

The problem is not that the last year on Mayan calendar is 2012.
The problem is that an age that consists of 5125 years ends during 2011 or 2012. This age supposedly started with a great flood.

Actually, I'm pretty sure these are astrological ages which only last somewhere from two thousand to two thousand five hundred. So roughly half that.
But it's astrology anyway so it's by definition, full of ****.

I believe there's gonna be a disaster on 2012 but for wholly different reasons. You see, people are so hyped and scared of 2012 that they've started doing things that will ultimately BE the disaster.

For example, moron A totally falls for 2012 theory, so he takes out big loans and spends it on pointless ****e, 'cause hey, the world is gonna end anyways, who needs to pay back! So when 2012 hits and nothing happens Mr. A is, more or less, ****ed.

Now that was a small example. Let's multiply Mr. A here by about... few hundred thousand. I'm pretty sure there will be unrest by these same "believers" as 2012 draws closer and, depending on how this matter is handeled, might evolve into mass panic and riots.

So where do Mr. A's come in? After some time has passed and people figure out nothing is gonna happen, Mr. A's will think "Well **** what now?". I think they'll join the rioting due to their really messed up status and prolong the end of the unrest. The riots will continue on for a lot longer, joined by the usual anarchist riot fans and the whole thing last so long that it will be called a disaster.

Thus the disaster theory is proven. And as millenias of religious fanaticism has shown throughout history, this scenario is very likely. So for short, the only disaster that will come in 2012 is caused by our own panic.

OR, nothing happens on 2012  :grin:

Majhudeen said:
That does not mean the endo f the world, by actual archaelogical findings and the few preserved Mayan codexes still left, the end of the Calander symbolizes an end of a era, and a birth of a new one.
It's not even that, it is to the Mayan calendar what the change from 1999 - 2000 is for us.

Urlik said:
the Y2K bug had a real basis because, either to save money or lack of foresight, the early microchips didn't have enough bits to store the full date and only used the last 2 digits of the year.
It's nothing to do with the microchips. Even if it were, since they don't store the date in a decimal format the chip itself doesn't actually care what the number is. It would only be significant if you were adding or removing a digit (so we'll get problems in the 9999 - 10000 rollover).

The actual problem is applicable to older systems (those based on COBOL for example) where removing the first two digits was a common practice to save space, which was important when coding for machines with a few k of memory (so guess how many systems around in 2000 would be affected ...). And anyone familiar with computers (i.e. not a journalist) could predict the results - some applications started showing the date as 1900. Or in other words, purely cosmetic. Some programs which compared dates could generate an incorrect result, but the fact that coders were aware of this from the 80's meant most apps could handle it. The most high profile effect was probably MS Excel, which had the issue due to the way it had to save dates to remain compatible with Lotus Notes, and in fact was more to do with the leap year problem. Oh, and Windows 3.x had the same issue, except Microsoft patched both.
it was blown out of all proportion, and a lot of consultancies made a lot of money over it, but the basic problem did exist
It didn't, but it didn't stop us charging exorbitant fees to basically change the system clock to the year 2000 and see everything working fine ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom