2 major gamebreaking "strategies" for Siege

Users who are viewing this thread

There are currently two major game breaking cheeses for siege. I don't believe sieges should have these mechanics, and the fact they do is a bit concerning.

The first is the enemy team breaks behind enemy lines, whether it be an open gate or some form of horse-glitch is beyond me. They break through, go to the keep near G flag and start throwing every stone/rock at the defenders walls making it near impossible to defend G. Either get rid of the rocks at G, or only allow defenders to pick up those rocks. I've seen this multiple times, and each time we always lost due to having 0 walls to defend us.

The second is backcapping. The most annoying, and cheesiest tactic. In a perfect world E, F, and G would only be added to the map once A, B, C, D were taken. Otherwise the enemy team takes a horse, goes behind enemy lines, caps a flag, runs away goes to the next flag etc... And you HAVE to stop them or else your team will loose. You HAVE to have someone in the backline just sitting there while everyone else actually plays the game. The reason I'm writing this is because I'm usually that one guy that has to sit there so the game doesn't end early. It's a waste of time, and serves no real purpose. This is not a strategy, this is a cheese and should be removed from the game.

Last edited:
So the complaint is that your allies are letting the enemy get inside your base and run amok? That's not a cheese, that's a legitimate strategy.

I think multiple flags are a nice idea for Siege. It just needs improvements like the OP suggests.
How exactly would you improve it? It's the players who have to defend it.

So the complaint is that your allies are letting the enemy get inside your base and run amok? That's not a cheese, that's a legitimate strategy.
I agree, but i do think this is partly due to the fact there are many routes unused by the defenders, because they are just useless. But those same routes get used by attackers and are usually a path free of enemies to G flag

I agree, but i do think this is partly due to the fact there are many routes unused by the defenders, because they are just useless. But those same routes get used by attackers and are usually a path free of enemies to G flag

Level design is a big deal. My suggestion would be to add more gates that don't have to be opened in order to traverse outward, but do have to be opened to re-enter. Some of these already exist in the form of barricades or gates that can be bypassed by hopping down ledges.

The other issue is that the maps are large and confusing if you don't know them well. It's not just that the routes aren't used, it's probably also that many players don't even know they exist. I don't play a lot of siege due to player scarcity on NA, and I still get lost trying to get to places.

Level design is a big deal. My suggestion would be to add more gates that don't have to be opened in order to traverse outward, but do have to be opened to re-enter. Some of these already exist in the form of barricades or gates that can be bypassed by hopping down ledges.

The other issue is that the maps are large and confusing if you don't know them well. It's not just that the routes aren't used, it's probably also that many players don't even know they exist. I don't play a lot of siege due to player scarcity on NA, and I still get lost trying to get to places.
I agree, one map that was unironically one of the best maps to me was the aserai castle back in the beta, it was so much fun because it was so small, no bull****ting, just fighting

Referring to this one:

To me, this aserai map looked like the true definition of a siege, i mean just look at the video, it's chaos

Capturing flags progressively in a specific order where G ends up being available to capture after all the others would fix a lot of problems, I probably won't choose siege much till that's fixed, otherwise it's just a really short tdm while someone steals g in the background most of the time

Warband never had this much issues for siege when it only had one flag. I still don't get how this happens.
From what i remember, when defenders were spawning in Warband, we were pretty much always passing by the last flag on our way back to the front line. The maps felt smaller and the flag never felt far away for defenders.

From what i remember, when defenders were spawning in Warband, we were pretty much always passing by the last flag on our way back to the front line. The maps felt smaller and the flag never felt far away for defenders.
Yeah pretty much, everyone always spawned on the main flag, it ensured people were always able to protect the flag. In bannerlord you spawn all over the castle, which makes it hard to even spawn at G

back capping annoyed me so much I adopted a new method for countering it, pick a class that has a pike and brace somewhere back-capping-cav has to go through and just wait, it's a bit boring but so satisfying when it works
lcohMbR.png

In Warband there were also some maps like Turin Castle where attackers could steal the flag through the sidegate. The difference is that
1. Defenders didn't loose flags when rushing back to defend and on TW maps defenders spawned all over the castle making it easier to reclaim lost territory.
2. Most flags on the TW maps where in the middle of the courtyard so whoever held it was exposed to constant arrow fire from all sides that weren't controlled by his own team.
Most of the popular communiy mas on the other hand had defenders spawn near the flag and gradually being pushed back against it.

There is no arguing that current map layout in Bannerlord is not optimal. Beyond that siege will always be hard to balance siegmaps for low vs high player count. I think this can be achieved with siege engines through the possiblility op opening extra entrances at the cost of manpower. We see howerver that siege engines only come to use in the early stages of the siege and that opening new entrances is much more often performed than e.g. destroying the crenelations which would make the ladders work.

What I suggest is the following: Make sneakcapture late flags by the means of extra gates (maybe auto closing after some time to prevent accidents) and overall more defensive castle design and counter that with extra siege engines and ladders that get spawned inside the castle once their respective flag has been conquered.
The gates in Warband had a similar purpose as they opened another entry way once the gatehouse was counquered.

Back
Top Bottom