2 issues that are game breaking for me

Users who are viewing this thread

So yeah, just had to alt f4 a siege assault and will have to turn on cheats, win the battle without losses, save and turn cheats off again as I can't tell my archers to stay behind and thus losing some of my forest bandits who I had with me for a very long time and grown attached to. (in Warband I'd tell my most beloved units to stay behind and let my expendable troops do the fighting during siege battles)

It's annoying because I have survived attack wave after attack wave whilst besieging the castle and now decided to assault because a huge 400 man army was approaching and I didn't feel like having a chaotic field battle again so close after the last one.

Please Taleworlds the game is great but the following 2 issues are really frustrating

- not being able to properly select units and give them orders

- the endless attack spam by an AI that can almost magically conjure up armies to constantly harass you

Maybe the second problem could be solved by giving us the ability to build a fortified siege camp like in Viking conquest to make these battles viable and actually fun (I asked for this before, since I really really really love choke point fighting where my troops can defend against overwhelming numbers and quality matters more than quantity)

Come to think of it, garissons should start depleting without food during a siege, right now the only way to "starve out" the castles is via the trebuchet bombardments every time the defenders build a catapult or ballista and each salvo kills a few of their men

So yeah, just had to alt f4 a siege assault and will have to turn on cheats, win the battle without losses, save and turn cheats off again as I can't tell my archers to stay behind and thus losing some of my forest bandits who I had with me for a very long time and grown attached to. (in Warband I'd tell my most beloved units to stay behind and let my expendable troops do the fighting during siege battles)

It's annoying because I have survived attack wave after attack wave whilst besieging the castle and now decided to assault because a huge 400 man army was approaching and I didn't feel like having a chaotic field battle again so close after the last one.

Please Taleworlds the game is great but the following 2 issues are really frustrating

- not being able to properly select units and give them orders

- the endless attack spam by an AI that can almost magically conjure up armies to constantly harass you

Maybe the second problem could be solved by giving us the ability to build a fortified siege camp like in Viking conquest to make these battles viable and actually fun (I asked for this before, since I really really really love choke point fighting where my troops can defend against overwhelming numbers and quality matters more than quantity)

Come to think of it, garissons should start depleting without food during a siege, right now the only way to "starve out" the castles is via the trebuchet bombardments every time the defenders build a catapult or ballista and each salvo kills a few of their men
I can help you! Full disclosure, I haven't been into a siege in 1.4.3 yet (they keep sallying out, so it's a slam dunk for me) but this what you have to do:

On the deployment screen press f6 to turn of AI command this lets you give them orders normally in the siege. They'll still charge at the start but you can tell them go to a position and they will.

Next remove all you siege weapons if you don't want them to use them. If you have siege weapons deployed you units will use them and you can't stop them.

If you didn't take down the walls, some of your units will still put up ladders, no matter what you order them to do.
It's annoying but you can use it to your advantage (sometimes), park you archers (and everyone) in from and face direction at the ladders, some will go put ladder up, enemy comes to push it down.... they get shot...... an on and on until there are a lot less enemies :smile: Now sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't the enemy has too many ranged and it doesn't work so well.... just depends on the fief and stuff.

Also if you playing with a battle size limit that causes reinforcements to spawn, those reinforcements will need to be ordered after they spawn because the charge when they spawn.

Remember that you can TAB and retreat from a siege, or exit an re-load if something just doesn't go right. It's really frustrating and I won't defend it at all, but there is stuff you can do to try to have more control.

EDIT: You can also press f7 to move units into formations before you deploy, so maybe put you special units in a un-used formation in the party menu and maybe that formation will show up I don't think it works because it auto put stuff as archer or infantry in the siege, I wanted to check but can't get a indoor fight yet. I could but I don't think I could ever do it in 1.4.2 and I don't think they changed it.

Last edited:
I would like to have total control over my army in sieges. I want to be able to sort my men into groups and tell them when and where to attack as a group. Currently all of the infantry are dumped into one large mass that I have no real control over.

Another siege related thing that irls me is the choice of men that operate siege equipment. Whenever a piece of siege equipment gets destroyed I lose a few of my precious Banner Knights. Why would my valuable knights be working the catapults? If it were up to me they would not even be on the battlefield during the bombardment phase.

I need more granularity of command!

Back
Top Bottom