2 handed maces on horseback?

Users who are viewing this thread

tzadik

Recruit
This question isn't directly related to Bannerlord but this seemed as good a place to ask as any. Are there any historical examples of two handed maces being used on horseback?/ Would this be realistic? It seems like most if not all weapons used on horseback are bladed to prevent infantry grabbing a hold and pulling the rider of their horse, and as far as I can tell only 1 handed maces were used on horseback, although perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable can correct me.This was the only example of using a 2 handed mace on horseback I was able to find online:
Vo-Tran%20Dai-Viet_Dai-Truy_RL_306%20_%20VSS.jpg

I believe that it was largely dependent on the warrior. Ammunition was rarely standardized in medieval times and the large enough guy would be able to swing the two-hander while smaller guy would prefer something lighter. As it's extremely uncomfortable to maneuver on horse without at least one hand holding the reins. It should have been rare sight, but possible.

I believe that it was largely dependent on the warrior. Ammunition was rarely standardized in medieval times and the large enough guy would be able to swing the two-hander while smaller guy would prefer something lighter. As it's extremely uncomfortable to maneuver on horse without at least one hand holding the reins. It should have been rare sight, but possible.

Nah, what's important is a good pair of stirrups and sharp dorsal muscles :lol: . You can lead the horse with your thighs.

Nah, what's important is a good pair of stirrups and sharp dorsal muscles :lol: . You can lead the horse with your thighs.

Yeah, I haven't said it's impossible. But it's hard (harder at least). Plus the show for a public is a one thing and the battle where one wrong move can cost you life is another. I do believe there were warriors who held 2-handers on the horseback and rode with their heaps but most probably they'd better sacrifice little bit of their weapon's weight to be able to hold the horse better.

On this topic for anyone who's interested; 2 YT links to knowledgeble guys talking about 2-handed slashing weapons from horseback, one theoretical and one practical.

from 13 min, Schola gladiatoria;
continuation reply from Modern History;

Back
Top Bottom