MP 1H weapon blocking (parry)

Users who are viewing this thread

Feewix

Recruit
Alright, if someone wields a small fast 1H sword or even worse, a pugio, I find it depressing that they can block off my heavy 2H axe or maul attack. Just like that. And then what follows is of course their faster counter attack. IMO even with a successful parry of such a powerful attack, there should be at least some light blunt damages dealt.

You must be one of those 2H crush-through enthusiasts, huh?

Sorry, but we already had that whole saga play out last year. You're a little late to the party buddy.

If it's any consolation, when a 2H weapon gets blocked by a lighter 1H weapon, there's a chance of a stun-lock happening, where the 1H user can't swing back right away, giving the 2H user time to attack again (you know just like how stun-locking worked in Warband).

Now please, try to refrain from any more talk of crush-through, because it might cause the devs to get the insane idea of bringing it back (Please no!). Also -I'm saying this as your friend @Feewix, if you continue to shill crush-through or crush-through-like mechanics, you will be inviting down a veritable firestorm of condemnation from the other members of this forum (who are much more unpleasant and ill-tempered than myself), and that is something you absolutely do not want.

Alright, if someone wields a small fast 1H sword or even worse, a pugio, I find it depressing that they can block off my heavy 2H axe or maul attack. Just like that. And then what follows is of course their faster counter attack. IMO even with a successful parry of such a powerful attack, there should be at least some light blunt damages dealt.
With a pugio, should you be able to block a large 2-handed ax?
Realistically, NO.

But if you can't, then what's the use of the pugio?
How can you get close without getting cut in 2?
You must be one of those 2H crush-through enthusiasts, huh?

Sorry, but we already had that whole saga play out last year. You're a little late to the party buddy.

If it's any consolation, when a 2H weapon gets blocked by a lighter 1H weapon, there's a chance of a stun-lock happening, where the 1H user can't swing back right away, giving the 2H user time to attack again (you know just like how stun-locking worked in Warband).

Now please, try to refrain from any more talk of crush-through, because it might cause the devs to get the insane idea of bringing it back (Please no!). Also -I'm saying this as your friend @Feewix, if you continue to shill crush-through or crush-through-like mechanics, you will be inviting down a veritable firestorm of condemnation from the other members of this forum (who are much more unpleasant and ill-tempered than myself), and that is something you absolutely do not want.
Parrying a 2 handed ax with a pugio is unrealistic.
In reality, it is unrealistic to block any attack it generates on the weapon, at the point in which it is hit, either a torque greater than that expressed by the player to counterbalance it, or a force greater than that of the player.

So how do you manage these types of clashes?

Simple: in the reality where we live, we know how to do something that we often forget:
we know how to take quick steps.
But we also know that the more we do it, the more tired we get and the slower they become.

Here, I would say that reality already gives us the solution:
dodge attacks by taking quick steps backwards or to the side.
Don't do too many consecutively otherwise you become slow and predictable.

But there is a problem: in this game you cannot take these quick steps.
So I entered this hint link quite a while ago to suggest something that in theory should already be in play and isn't there.

FOR BOTH:

breaking through any block just because you have a heavy weapon and not even giving the enemy the chance to defend is not balanced.
But it is also not balanced that with a dagger you block a two-handed ax.

So my proposal is:
NON-SPAMABLE DIRECTIONAL STEP-DODGE new mechanics suggestion

Thanks for replying both @Hans 77 and @darksoulshin

Well I wouldn't label you or others anti-crush-through enthusiasts @Hans 77 . Crush-through we know isn't impossible from happening, but I get it why they're not desired in this game all the time, as well as some other things are not. A chance for a stun-lock, that's great. I just thought when I looked at it, that it make little to no sense because the initial problem IMO is the general movement in this game. Which was overlooked all this time with all the swing speed nerf/buff, encumbrance, weapon damage nerf/buff, shield durability, kick stun locks, crush-through or not debates... Darksoulshin points this out, and IMO it's one good example, he has a good idea for one way towards a solution.

Back to expand on my post, this pugio is more of a dagger than a sword. One would not be confident in swinging such a small weapon as there is not much weight in it such as in swords, but would rather look at using the pierce attacks from up close. The pugio damage should be maximum for pierce attacks and less for swing attacks. Unless there is a successful attack with the tip of the pugio at an unarmored part of the body. That should hurt a lot. So with me being left with only a pugio, I should be able to move around the 2H axe opponent more lightly. Trying to rush close to him, so that he can't make swings with his long weapon at me properly, while I'm attempting to land stabs and pierce attacks on him. Even one good stab could be enough to take him down for good realistically but possibly this is also not desired in the game. Additionally, how about an option to use the X key not to throw, but to inverse the hand grip on a dagger weapon the pugio is? This way with inverted grip, you're making more powerful pierce attacks from three directions now - left, overhead and right. The drawback should be that it would be tough or impossible to block/parry attacks at you, so you'd have to be constantly on the move and changing the grips often. Could be a good skill check to fight like this.

The other thing connected to this, and any other close encounters for that matter which should be looked at, is finally nullifying or decreasing dramatically the damage done by wooden weapon handles instead of bladed parts which still works and makes it so forgiving for the attacker. I'd be literally in their face as they hit me, or the other way around, it works the same. This is primarily for 2H - polearms, axes and maces. There is probably something wrong happening with weapon hitboxes and damage cones and/or player hitboxes. It should be nothing or light blunt damage at best. One more thing is that 2H axes and maces for example don't have the ability to make a forward blunt attack (or what is pierce for swords). This could be useful in close combat such as the above mentioned for example. I understand for 1H axe or mace but for 2H should be there, instead of just relying on a locked-in animation kick/bash which is limited.

But this is all more in reality, and the question is what can be achieved and how the gameplay can be fixed, improved and expanded dev-wise in an online fast-paced melee combat game, especially in this phase of development.

Back
Top Bottom