1866 - Help Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

yellowmosquito said:
This is where you let us know if you can help, not where you ask questions. Back on topic please.

I wondered what exactly you defined as Southwestern US (since it has various interpretations), so I knew IF I could help and which input would be valuable :wink:

I'm just wondering if you need any help with research, documentation, writing, or anything related to such areas? I'm not saying 'Hey let me help and you'll get the world'. Fact is you'd most likely end up with a picture of a model of the world. I'm just offering to help lighten the workload a bit - if at all. If it works out then great; if not then no harm done. I just want to see this mod reach its full potential with or without my meager offer of help and as long as that happens - it's all gravy.

Draconis Topmen said:
yellowmosquito I would like to be a modeler and help out but I'm busy with moving right now. Afterwards ill send you a PM okay?  :smile:
No need to tell me in advance.  Just let me know when you can actually help.

Peralta said:
I wondered what exactly you defined as Southwestern US (since it has various interpretations), so I knew IF I could help and which input would be valuable :wink:
Understood. It was mentioned elsewhere, but I expanded the description on the first post so that it is clear.

Retrobot said:
I'm just wondering if you need any help with research, documentation, writing, or anything related to such areas? I'm not saying 'Hey let me help and you'll get the world'. Fact is you'd most likely end up with a picture of a model of the world. I'm just offering to help lighten the workload a bit - if at all. If it works out then great; if not then no harm done. I just want to see this mod reach its full potential with or without my meager offer of help and as long as that happens - it's all gravy.
Scene building is pretty fun and easy to learn if you'd like to give that a try.  We need more random battle scenes.  And it would be cool to build some fort scenes to actually look like the forts in use at the time. 

If you aren't interested in that, you can do some gathering of some things we need instead.  I've included a list of things we need gathered in the first post. (If you do this, please post what you find in a separate thread to keep this clean)

Anybody with sound editing skills? We need some work on weapon sounds.

Scene building doesn't require skill, it is some kind of art. Actually i am dissapointed with the support we got so far but it maybe due to the fact that mod is just released, and people prefer playing it, rather than contributing

insomniac said:
Anybody with sound editing skills? We need some work on weapon sounds.

Scene building doesn't require skill, it is some kind of art. Actually i am dissapointed with the support we got so far but it maybe due to the fact that mod is just released, and people prefer playing it, rather than contributing

You're getting quite some support imo, and well, it's just not easy to find people who can do a good job on the things you ask (like modelling and texturing clothes etc)

Well, this mod is a result of mainly 4-5 persons work. It took a lot of effort, but as you know, it makes people tired.

The mod is mainly complete as you all see, but for perfection there needs to be more support. Or else, only bugs will be fixed, there won't be additional features at all.

This is the choice of 1866 community. I am talking about the ones with skills.

thanks to the beta testers who report the problems back, it is also something very important.

We got this mod to this point but without help it ain't going any further.

I really like your mod and I've been playing it for the last few days. I really want to help you but unfortunately I have no experience in modding M&B. However I have a decent amount of experience with modding in general and even basic coding. So well, what do you need the most? I'd prefer creating quick battles I think. So tell me if you can use my help and I'll learn how to do it (if it's not extremely hard). BTW I'm also reading a huge book about the history of Texas which is truly fascinating. I'm currently reading the part about +/-1836. So perhaps I can help you with some lore stuff or ideas too. 

Degor said:
I really like your mod and I've been playing it for the last few days. I really want to help you but unfortunately I have no experience in modding M&B. However I have a decent amount of experience with modding in general and even basic coding. So well, what do you need the most? I'd prefer creating quick battles I think. So tell me if you can use my help and I'll learn how to do it (if it's not extremely hard). BTW I'm also reading a huge book about the history of Texas which is truly fascinating. I'm currently reading the part about +/-1836. So perhaps I can help you with some lore stuff or ideas too.

scene building doesn't require coding skills. Here is a guide

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=18748.0

RATMdude92 said:
insomniac said:
scene building doesn't require coding skills. Here is a guide

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=18748.0
That link is to Ursca's old Warhammer mod...

that's right and there is a scene building tutorial in the first page. 2nd post.

Here's something for you to ignore, a simple AI tactic.  Nothing brilliant just a little something besides charge, follow and hold.

This was done for v0.903.  All it does is send the AI forward in time delayed waves rather than a mob.  Archers first, then infantry and cavalry last.  Time delay for cavalry was most you could have on a .903 battlemap.  The infantry advance and cavalry spread out were an attempt to get the stationary troops spread out some so .903's dismount happy AI would remain mounted.

Code:
(else_try),
        (store_mission_timer_a, ":time"),
        (store_random_in_range, ":rnda", 5, 11),
        (store_random_in_range, ":rndb", 20, 26),
        (eq, "$ai_battle_tactic", btactic_wave),
        (team_get_leader, ":ai_leader", "$ai_team"),
        (agent_set_speed_limit, ":ai_leader", 60),
        (team_give_order, "$ai_team", grc_archers, mordr_charge),          
        (team_give_order, "$ai_team", grc_infantry, mordr_advance),
        (team_give_order, "$ai_team", grc_infantry, mordr_stand_closer),
        (team_give_order, "$ai_team", grc_cavalry, mordr_spread_out),     
        (ge, ":time", ":rnda"),
        (team_give_order, "$ai_team", grc_infantry, mordr_charge),
        (ge, ":time", ":rndb"),
        (team_give_order, "$ai_team", grc_cavalry, mordr_charge),

I’m thinking about becoming a bit of a productive member of society, and I thought I might contribute a few slouch hats.  The problem is that I can only take it so far:  I’m having trouble wrapping my head around baking textures in 3ds Max 8, specifically getting combined elements to bake to one file rather than each element having its own file.  I don’t mind doing the texturing myself, but that baking problem really hampers me.

The models themselves aren’t all that complicated, but specular maps, etc are just beyond me at the moment.  What I can do now is a handful of models, upload them as either .max scenes, .3ds or .obj files, whatever’s convenient; someone else can do the hard stuff; I can texture; and getting them working in-game will, again, have to be left to better heads.  A bit of a chain unfortunately.

So, I’d like to help, but it’s one of those “help me help you” situations.

A couple quick renders of what I have in mind after remembering the basics of modeling again:
hardee.jpg

floppyhat.jpg

slouchhat.jpg

tophat.jpg

Sockeye said:
I’m thinking about becoming a bit of a productive member of society, and I thought I might contribute a few slouch hats.  The problem is that I can only take it so far:  I’m having trouble wrapping my head around baking textures in 3ds Max 8, specifically getting combined elements to bake to one file rather than each element having its own file.  I don’t mind doing the texturing myself, but that baking problem really hampers me.

The models themselves aren’t all that complicated, but specular maps, etc are just beyond me at the moment.  What I can do now is a handful of models, upload them as either .max scenes, .3ds or .obj files, whatever’s convenient; someone else can do the hard stuff; I can texture; and getting them working in-game will, again, have to be left to better heads.  A bit of a chain unfortunately.

So, I’d like to help, but it’s one of those “help me help you” situations.

A couple quick renders of what I have in mind after remembering the basics of modeling again:
hardee.jpg

floppyhat.jpg

slouchhat.jpg

tophat.jpg

Those look really great Sockeye.  In fact, they look almost too great.  How many tris are those?

Uh, isn't baking when you just paint the lighting onto the texture?  Don't worry about getting too fancy...none of our current hats use height or specular maps right now.
Baking is the opposite of painting - you RENDER lighting onto the texture map. Pretty much all of my textures use baking, as it saves a lot of time -PC

Can't wait to see the finished product.  Thank you!

Thanks for the compliment, mate.  I think you’re right about them being “almost too great”--the counts are pretty huge right now.  It’s been a few years since I’ve played around with 3D modeling and I was never rated as expert in the first place, so I’m refreshing my memory and relearning features, etc.

Fortunately, it’s cold as Hell here right now, so I can spend some time with tutorials, kill some polys and tris, and see what I can come up with.  Hopefully it won’t take too long to wrap my head around it all again, and I’ll wind up with some pretty chapeaus to promenade around in.

Cheers

You don't need specular maps for a hat, really (and if you did, just grayscaling your texture, tweaking the contrast, and putting it in the alpha channel would suffice)

Best Mod with firearms til now ^^
If you need some soundtracks, simple western telecaster guitar chords or an orchestral Bonanza's style stuff, I can do it, just give me a call. o/

Wakarusa said:
Best Mod with firearms til now ^^
If you need some soundtracks, simple western telecaster guitar chords or an orchestral Bonanza's style stuff, I can do it, just give me a call. o/

yes we do need. But there shouldn't be any copyright issues

RATMdude92 said:
I too have been inspired to do a little composing after playing the mod for a couple weeks.  I've thrown together a couple short samples if you guys want to check them out.

yes we want to, of course

Back
Top Bottom