1860s - PROBLEMS, suggestions....& Solutions, even from you, if possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

GABRILDURO

Grandmaster Knight
INSTALL & TROUBLESHOOTING:

GOOD NEWS: we basically fixed most of worst bugs!!!

PLS keep in mind, though, that you need a powerful pc for this mod. I personally have to play low/medium video performance with my cheap pc.

Please BEFORE reporting your "bugs" here, be sure it is a REAL bug and not just something you did not like or understand.

In case of serious PC problems

In order to prevent the same questions from being asked over and over again, when you get a CTD or Heavy Lag:
-If it's a CTD try to explain in detail what you were doing when the crash happened. Include things such as your ingame settings and such. For the heavy lag please include your ingame settings as well as your Pc specs.

Causes
1. For Windows Vista/7 Anything above a 2 ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, and 512mb. Windows xp is pretty much the same with a bit more leave way in terms of ram requirements. (Laptops require even more, unless its a laptop built specifically for gaming with high end specs a laptop performs horribly for gaming)

2. Having "Textures on Demand" not checked in the configure settings. (For every PC)

3. Having "Force Single Threading" not checked in the advanced settings. (Primarily for dual or quad core PC's)

4. Putting Ragdolls and Corpses to unlimited. (10 Ragdolls/40 Corpses or less is usually what you want)

5. Having your battlesizer over 200. (I suggest only going above 150 for PC's that exceed the specs I stated above)

6. Having your performance % under 100%. (The better the game looks, the slower it will run)

7. Having background programs running. (This eats up a ton of memory even if they aren't being used. Also M&B gets real anal when you alt + tab out of the game and typically crashes)

8. Having Anti-Aliasing on anything other than off/none. (For a game with graphics like M&B's this doesn't really do anything anyways, but your PC thinks it does and will still use massive amounts of video memory to try and make it work)

9. Having Edit mode selected in the advanced settings. (Only use this for debugging and never for actually playing the game)

10. You installed the mod incorrectly and screwed something up. (It happens sometimes, deal with it)

Potential Fixes

1. Battlesizer to 100 or less. (Will help performance and CTD's)

2. Video settings to "Low". (Will help performance)

3. Using Direct X7. (Looks crappy but helps low end PC's alot)

4. Use the "Start Windowed" option in settings with 800x600 resolution. (Will help performance)

5. Set max frame rate to 70. Even less, 60 or even 50!!!!! (The human eye can only see 60 fps tops anyways, and that's with perfect vision. Having it set to a high number just because your PC can do it isn't always a good idea)
I solved all my problems with this issue, and REMOVING BLOOD!!!!

6. Completely uninstall M&B and delete all files/registry files and do a fresh install. (Sometimes files become corrupted for whatever reason)

7. Turn off your networking and anti virus when you play the game, if you're using a hardcord for your networking unplug it from your PC just incase. (This will free up memory, which the game uses a ton of)

This is what I've experimented with during my time playing M&B. I personally use a 3ghz dual core, 4 gigs of ram, 2257mb video memory, and windows 7 64-bit. I never CTD, I don't lag in the battle maps with max settings and 250 battlesizer, and I have slight stutter on the World Map.

No matter how good your PC is, you will get stutter/lag on the World Map. This is due to the game's engine processing so many scripts constantly, and there is nothing you or Othr can do to fix that minus removing alot of ****.

If you are getting errors that show up with the red text, go into the notes and screen shot it then place it on the bugs board. More than likely it's an error in your installation because I have yet to see another one since this last patch.

If you get a CTD and it gives a pop-up with what caused it to crash take a screen shot of that and place it on the bugs board.
If you haven't bothered to read this far and just spam the board I'll ask Othr to just delete your post and your questions will just be ignored. As new problems/fixes are found I'll add them to the list and let you all know it's been updated.

If the game now works well, increase few things at a time, to discover WHERE your problem was.

If some problems are still there, try to solve your problem at this link http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131274.0.html.

.1st 
WHEN STARTING M&B WB AND CHOOSING 1860s MOD, GO TO "CONFIGURE" AND THEN TO "HIDE BLOOD"  / "ENABLE CHEATS" (they both should NOT be marked if you have PC performances problem). GO THEN TO "ADVANCED" AND CHECK IF "Enable Edit Mode" is on.
(It should be OFF for best performance)

.2nd
TURN DOWN ALL YOUR VIDEO SETTINGS, ALL OF THEM TO MINIMUM, BUT EXPECIALLY
"MAX FRAME RATE" TO 60
"TREES DETAILS" AND ANY "SHADER/SHADOWS" TO MINIMUM
- Do not set to zero "Monitor Gamma" of course....or your monitor will become BLACK! :grin:

.3rd 
TURN TO MINIMUM "BATTLE SIZE" AND ALL POSSIBLE GAME OPTIONS, EVEN INDICATORS.

If the game now works well, increase few things at a time, to discover WHERE your problem was.

If some problems are still there, try to solve your problem at this link http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131274.0.html.

THX  :grin: [/b]

Gabrilduro and his team

IMPORTANT:

1860s OLD AMERICA IS MADE TO RUN ONLY WITH ORIGINAL WAR BAND UPDATED TO V. 1.134 / 1.143

For days now i was thinking  that something was missing from the game.

Then i went to google to read about the Civil War in America.

I found what i was looking for, no black people in this game.

For a time where it was about fighting for or against slavery (mostly of black people) the Union is lacking black soldiers.

Maybe make the recruits all by default black skinned ,maybe one more group like infantry or something.

If its possible and not to bothersome to edit skin types and add a dark skin.

Fran-Krsto said:

For a time where it was about fighting for or against slavery (mostly of black people) the Union is lacking black soldiers.

Maybe make the recruits all by default black skinned ,maybe one more group like infantry or something.

I think that is a good idea. I even think a 54th Massachussetts troop to hire in taverns would be a good idea.

Fran-Krsto said:

There is a civilian troop that is Black and is the same that was in 1755.
Also, I put a Black Troops (Arkansas) military song, that is the best tribute to them, I think, because it plays in game, even if you have NO black troops  :wink:
Hehehe, you know Gabrilduro, folks...I love to bother some hidden damned RACISTS that dislike Red, Black, or Yellow people in game  :twisted:
Pretty soon I will have Troops for all of them and a Character that is kind of Jacky Chan, maybe at start of game.  :grin:
Thx for reminding us, anyway, Frank.
Gab

Hi i have a question, when you use a pistol/revolver he holds it like a musket/rifle, is it possible to change those animations into holding it in a normal way? (downwards)
Regards Algren.

its a great mod i love it been playing it for days, but i mean when you equip a pistol/revolver and run the left arm is holding the air, and is it possible to enlarge the commanders armies? they all have small party's like 50 units or so.
regards Algren

Yeah I agree that animation is a tad annoying and extremely odd. The American Revolution mod apparently doesn't have it so that's why I'm looking forward to that! =D

Radetzky said:
I'd personally like to see bigger armies aswell. Look at Peloponnesian war or Brytenwalda- Every lord has 400 soldiers or more. So I support bigger parties aswell.

That is "Janus's Battlesizer". It's pretty nifty. However you'd have to have it coded in. Might be doable if this mod changes base in the near future to 1776 as base. However, word of caution here, while I love it, and have encountered it in Peloponnesian War (toned down a bit in Brytenwalda) and Vympel's Brytenwalda submod Imperium Romanum, it is a total resource hog for pc's. I can run those mods but If I play for a bit of time I will have a ctd at some point. It's just the nature of the thing. So I would actually prefer to see something like that as an optional add-on but only for players who can run it. We already have so many complaints of ctd's and these mods  of Gab's are already so resource heavy I can see some players pc's just exploding if we made it a permanent addition. I think just having it as an option players can add would be better.

PERFECTLY SAID!  :wink:
Folks, and expecially you Mates (Raddy...) should very well know those things.
We have being talking about that for months now...
I love big battles too, but we will never be able to handle that, never.
Cuz I d have to completely change the Mod, expecially in its Quality, see?
You cannot have all the quality uniforms, issues, etc that we have, and also handle big numbers... :roll:

Raddy, you can start a Topic on the Troop tree, ok.
But keep in mind that it will depend on the Mod base that we will use.
So list the troop tree that we have now, first, please.
Then your idea (do some changes to the original one you sent me, though...can you imagine 30 Drummers deserters Groups:twisted: ) and see feedback, ok?
gabby

Hey Gabby,

First off, let me state that I absolutely have loved your mods. Being a historian of this period of warfare, I've been waiting for someone to make a single-player mod that had a lot of these features. I've thoroughly enjoyed your 1755 Mod, and I'm quite a fan of the American Revolution mod.

Since I know quite a bit about the combat, battles, personalities, histories, and blow-by-blow accounts, I'm extremely happy to field armies of soldiers.

I have played a 700+ day campaign, initially starting out as a Confederate Mercenary, later changing sides to the Union Side. In joining the Federals, I took out the Canadians, the Confederacy and the Confederate Settlers.

Here is my review.

1. The rifles need to be more accurate. Despite belief to the contrary, most of the muskets used during the Civil War were in fact rifled and most were percussion cap. Soldiers were not trained to be "accurate" in their shots, but rather to fire in volleys. Statistically, only about 30% ever shot their guns, and even fewer shot to actually kill. More often than not, there were a handful of people in any regiment who were willing to seriously engage opposing regiments. There are exceptions.  The guns used during the war were often far more accurate than people believe. Due to the soldiers being trained to shoot in volley, accuracy and marksmanship were not prized or highly trained elements of the war. Sharpshooters are a notable exception.

2. A few weapons need to be introduced into the game, as follows.

A.The Springfield 1855 was the predominant model used by the Confederate and Union forces at the onset of the war. It was a Minie Ball loaded, rifled Musket, muzzle-loaded and accurate to 200-300 yards, with a maximum of 1000 yards.

B. The Sharps Rifle and Carbine - Both versions used percussion caps and Minie' Balls. They were favoured for their noted accuracy and ease of reloaded. They fired one round and had no magazine, but were very quick to reload. The falling block reloading mechanism made them prized amongst cavalry.

C. The Springfield Model 1861 and !863 were both highly used by the Union army. They were standard issue, carried a minie' ball and were highly accurate.

D. Spencer Repeating Rifle - Mainly used in 1860-1867, a rim-fire cartridge that was highly accurate and used by cavalry in the Union.  7 Round tube magazine, 14-20 rounds a minute. Effective up to 200 yards.

E. Double Action and Single-Action pistol variants - There were numerous pistols in use during this period which were single and double action revolvers. Many of them fired 5-6 shots and were decently accurate. Colt Model 1860, Colt 1851, Colt Dragoon Revolver Model 1848, Colt 1861 Navy, Remington Model 1858.

F. Hawkins Rifle - Effective to 400 yards.

G. Kerr's Patent Revolver

H. Richmond Rifle

I. LeMat Revolver was in use by the Confederates

J. Fayetteville Rifle in use by Confederates

K. Merill Carbine in use by Confederates

L. Whitworth Rifle by Confederates

M. Models 1816, 1822 muskets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_Civil_War_weapons

There's a lot more I could into.

Gameplay:

There needs to be more variation on the CSA and USA uniforms. I've noticed you've imported meshes and some textures from WFAS. Some of these have issues with boots and shoes. I've noticed several instances of Cavalry boots overriding the main texture and mesh of a uniform. Many of the uniforms have fluctuating weights. I encountered a Union army texture named Austrian Cuirassier by weighed 350lbs. I've seen several Union and Confederate armours weighing 6-15lbs. Some even went up to 55lbs. This causes huge issues with deploying forces, as they move excessively slow or fast depending on the armour weight.

The first quest to help the Merchant find his brother never progressed after the initial bandit fight you have with the four (4) bandits after accepting the quest, on all three play throughs. It would simply hang at "find the hideout."

Some manner of way to increase one's reputation would be useful. More bandits, deserters, or similar kinds of bands are needed to help build one's army and renown.

The addition of black and native American soldiers has already been brought up.

Much of the text in the game is still Warband related and seems out of place.

More variation on the textures and the removal of medieval items has already been brought up.

A method to kneel for the front or second row seems gravely needed in light of the overall battle schemes.

The removal of 17th and 18th century items seems necessary. More clothes/uniforms.are needed.

Being something of an expert on the period, I would gladly offer my historical advice on any additions or changes. I also am more than willing to help flesh out troop trees, item modification, or some meshes/texture alteration. I know minimal Python.

Otherwise, Amazing game and I cannot thank you enough for putting the time into it. Any way I can help, please let me know and I hope the feedback helps.

<3

Michelle

celestialred said:
Hey Gabby,

First off, let me state that I absolutely have loved your mods. Being a historian of this period of warfare, I've been waiting for someone to make a single-player mod that had a lot of these features. I've thoroughly enjoyed your 1755 Mod, and I'm quite a fan of the American Revolution mod.

Since I know quite a bit about the combat, battles, personalities, histories, and blow-by-blow accounts, I'm extremely happy to field armies of soldiers.

I have played a 700+ day campaign, initially starting out as a Confederate Mercenary, later changing sides to the Union Side. In joining the Federals, I took out the Canadians, the Confederacy and the Confederate Settlers.

Here is my review.

1. The rifles need to be more accurate. Despite belief to the contrary, most of the muskets used during the Civil War were in fact rifled and most were percussion cap. Soldiers were not trained to be "accurate" in their shots, but rather to fire in volleys. Statistically, only about 30% ever shot their guns, and even fewer shot to actually kill. More often than not, there were a handful of people in any regiment who were willing to seriously engage opposing regiments. There are exceptions.  The guns used during the war were often far more accurate than people believe. Due to the soldiers being trained to shoot in volley, accuracy and marksmanship were not prized or highly trained elements of the war. Sharpshooters are a notable exception.

A.The Springfield 1855 was the predominant model used by the Confederate and Union forces at the onset of the war. It was a Minie Ball loaded, rifled Musket, muzzle-loaded and accurate to 200-300 yards, with a maximum of 1000 yards.

B. The Sharps Rifle and Carbine - Both versions used percussion caps and Minie' Balls. They were favoured for their noted accuracy and ease of reloaded. They fired one round and had no magazine, but were very quick to reload. The falling block reloading mechanism made them prized amongst cavalry.

C. The Springfield Model 1861 and !863 were both highly used by the Union army. They were standard issue, carried a minie' ball and were highly accurate.

D. Spencer Repeating Rifle - Mainly used in 1860-1867, a rim-fire cartridge that was highly accurate and used by cavalry in the Union.  7 Round tube magazine, 14-20 rounds a minute. Effective up to 200 yards.

E. Double Action and Single-Action pistol variants - There were numerous pistols in use during this period which were single and double action revolvers. Many of them fired 5-6 shots and were decently accurate. Colt Model 1860, Colt 1851, Colt Dragoon Revolver Model 1848, Colt 1861 Navy, Remington Model 1858.

H. Richmond Rifle

Gameplay:

There needs to be more variation on the CSA and USA uniforms. I've noticed you've imported meshes and some textures from WFAS. Some of these have issues with boots and shoes. I've noticed several instances of Cavalry boots overriding the main texture and mesh of a uniform. Many of the uniforms have fluctuating weights. I encountered a Union army texture named Austrian Cuirassier by weighed 350lbs. I've seen several Union and Confederate armours weighing 6-15lbs. Some even went up to 55lbs. This causes huge issues with deploying forces, as they move excessively slow or fast depending on the armour weight.

The first quest to help the Merchant find his brother never progressed after the initial bandit fight you have with the four (4) bandits after accepting the quest, on all three play throughs. It would simply hang at "find the hideout."

Some manner of way to increase one's reputation would be useful. More bandits, deserters, or similar kinds of bands are needed to help build one's army and renown.

More variation on the textures and the removal of medieval items has already been brought up.

A method to kneel for the front or second row seems gravely needed in light of the overall battle schemes.

The removal of 17th and 18th century items seems necessary. More clothes/uniforms.are needed.

Being something of an expert on the period, I would gladly offer my historical advice on any additions or changes. I also am more than willing to help flesh out troop trees, item modification, or some meshes/texture alteration. I know minimal Python.

Otherwise, Amazing game and I cannot thank you enough for putting the time into it. Any way I can help, please let me know and I hope the feedback helps.

<3

Michelle

Wow, your a smart one :smile:

celestialred said:
Hey Gabby,

Here is my review.

H. Richmond Rifle

Gameplay:

<3

Michelle

Michelle, thank you for your observations. You are truly well informed on the CW era. We have a lot of items/weapons we have not implemented into the game yet and more uniforms to come. As we do implement them we will also revise and revamp our troop trees which are limited at present by situation and not by design.

I am going to mention you to Gab however as we may need some more help with coding etc.

Auldman/development team and history reseacher.

Thank you both.

Any way I can help, please let me know. I can know how to modify weapons, create troops, troop trees, balance issues. I can use a BRF editor, and I'm sure I could learn some texture methods. I've done some modding for M&B games on my own, as well as minor things for Empire:Total War, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, and some others. I can read through strings.txt, item_kinds1.txt and other files, knowing what I am looking at.

One weapon I did forget to mention was the Enfield Model 1855, which was *extensively* used by the Confederates. This was a minie' ball, rifled musket, mostly seized from armories at the onset of war. Many were shipped in from Britain, often clandestinely, towards the end of the war.

At the beginning, many confederates did bring smoothbore muskets to the field. Having no official uniform for a while and often lacking supplies, they brought what they had on hand. These tended to be older, flint-lock style, smoothbore muskets. These perhaps made up only 15% of the total weapons used by the CSA militias.

I've gone to numerous reenactments of Civil War battles, studied it for history, and actually held and fired some of these weapons.

One of the issues I wanted to point out about the Civil War in general was that it was noted for its lack of artillery and cavalry. The US never really had much of a cavalry/horseman tradition or artillery tradition prior to the Civil War. While European battles used these extensively, the US just never really invested much in it. The Civil War was primarily a battle of infantry. The Minie' ball system was in use throughout the entire war, used in almost every musket. The calibre was slightly different by model. The Minie' ball was first used in large volumes during the Crimean War in the 1850's, which Gen. McClellan came to Europe to watch. Impressed by it, he brought back a lot of technologies and ideas from his experience in the war. The Minie' ball was notorious for being an absolutely grisly projectile, so the damage on the Minie' ball chambered firearms should be adjusted for this.

A balance between accuracy, damage, and the attempts to recreate the 30% rate-of-fire could be remedied by making the lower end recruits, most notable for shooting over the heads of their fellow countrymen (or not firing at all), have a lower Small Arms and Firearms skill. This would make even accurate rifles miss often, recreating the inaccuracy of the period. A great book on this entire discussion is "On Killing", by Col. David Grossman. He notes that there were often muskets found at battle sites which had been loaded up to 8 times without even being fired. As a result, a tweaked morale system might be useful to help make the point and recreate many of the issues of this type of warfare. More often than not it was morale that broke a regiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Killing:_The_Psychological_Cost_of_Learning_to_Kill_in_War_and_Society

I can also help find information on the Zouaves if you need.

My email is in my profile and you can find me on Facebook via my profile as well.

Hope that helps,

Michelle

celestialred said:
Thank you both.

Any way I can help, please let me know. I can know how to modify weapons, create troops, troop trees, balance issues. I can use a BRF editor, and I'm sure I could learn some texture methods. I've done some modding for M&B games on my own, as well as minor things for Empire:Total War, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, and some others. I can read through strings.txt, item_kinds1.txt and other files, knowing what I am looking at.

One weapon I did forget to mention was the Enfield Model 1855, which was *extensively* used by the Confederates. This was a minie' ball, rifled musket, mostly seized from armories at the onset of war. Many were shipped in from Britain, often clandestinely, towards the end of the war.

At the beginning, many confederates did bring smoothbore muskets to the field. Having no official uniform for a while and often lacking supplies, they brought what they had on hand. These tended to be older, flint-lock style, smoothbore muskets. These perhaps made up only 15% of the total weapons used by the CSA militias.

I've gone to numerous reenactments of Civil War battles, studied it for history, and actually held and fired some of these weapons.

One of the issues I wanted to point out about the Civil War in general was that it was noted for its lack of artillery and cavalry. The US never really had much of a cavalry/horseman tradition or artillery tradition prior to the Civil War. While European battles used these extensively, the US just never really invested much in it. The Civil War was primarily a battle of infantry. The Minie' ball system was in use throughout the entire war, used in almost every musket. The calibre was slightly different by model. The Minie' ball was first used in large volumes during the Crimean War in the 1850's, which Gen. McClellan came to Europe to watch. Impressed by it, he brought back a lot of technologies and ideas from his experience in the war. The Minie' ball was notorious for being an absolutely grisly projectile, so the damage on the Minie' ball chambered firearms should be adjusted for this.

A balance between accuracy, damage, and the attempts to recreate the 30% rate-of-fire could be remedied by making the lower end recruits, most notable for shooting over the heads of their fellow countrymen (or not firing at all), have a lower Small Arms and Firearms skill. This would make even accurate rifles miss often, recreating the inaccuracy of the period. A great book on this entire discussion is "On Killing", by Col. David Grossman. He notes that there were often muskets found at battle sites which had been loaded up to 8 times without even being fired. As a result, a tweaked morale system might be useful to help make the point and recreate many of the issues of this type of warfare. More often than not it was morale that broke a regiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Killing:_The_Psychological_Cost_of_Learning_to_Kill_in_War_and_Society

My email is in my profile and you can find me on Facebook via my profile as well.

Hope that helps,

Michelle

Great stuff Michelle! I put your name forward to Gab. Right now Alan De Soison is putting some stuff for us into 1860's but he could probably use some help.

I like your idea of having the lower end troops be less accurate etc. I've been trying to do similar stuff with my work on troop trees for 1776 and adjustments will have to be made no doubt.

You're right about artillery and mostly cavarlry. Cavalry were a scouting arm which is why Jeb Stuarts absence at Gettysburg was so detrimental to Lee but I recall few Civil War battles were decided by cavalry charge. This is actually fairly true of European battles of the time. Cavalry are useful as flank protection, scouting, foraging, raiding, chasing down routers but no good general would risk them in an open charge on well drilled infantry. Text book example being the French cavalry against British infantry squares at Waterloo. Still given our absence of cavalry in 1755 they are a welcome addition to 1860's and our plan is to expand the map into the American west and Mexico so there will be plenty of use for cavalry on the American plains.

Auldman said:
celestialred said:
Thank you both.

Hope that helps,

Michelle

Great stuff Michelle! I put your name forward to Gab. Right now Alan De Soison is putting some stuff for us into 1860's but he could probably use some help.

I like your idea of having the lower end troops be less accurate etc. I've been trying to do similar stuff with my work on troop trees for 1776 and adjustments will have to be made no doubt.

You're right about artillery and mostly cavarlry. Cavalry were a scouting arm which is why Jeb Stuarts absence at Gettysburg was so detrimental to Lee but I recall few Civil War battles were decided by cavalry charge. This is actually fairly true of European battles of the time. Cavalry are useful as flank protection, scouting, foraging, raiding, chasing down routers but no good general would risk them in an open charge on well drilled infantry. Text book example being the French cavalry against British infantry squares at Waterloo. Still given our absence of cavalry in 1755 they are a welcome addition to 1860's and our plan is to expand the map into the American west and Mexico so there will be plenty of use for cavalry on the American plains.

I can do a play through of 1776 if you want more advice on that as well. I was actually pondering earlier how one could implement buck'n'ball that was used as a load for many American forces throughout the Revolution.

The Napoleonic tactic of using cavalry as a screen and often as a full on charge only when necessary is pretty standard. The infantry square was developed to deal with cavalry charges, but there are a few famous examples, such as Murat's cavalry charge at the Battle of Eylau, where cavalry took a very dominant role in what's usually called "Age of Enlightenment Warfare" or "Napoleonic War" due to using mixed order tactics and the changing face of warfare in the era.

During the Civil War, cavalry was, as you stated, often used to screen and scout, not fight full on. I've been trying to find a successful pattern in the mod to use the cavalry for screening. I've often used them to guard my sharpshooters as I wear down the lines to force them to charge me, allowing my line troops to volley them. I follow this up with telling my cavalry to charge or follow me on horseback as I use a Henry Rifle and a sabre to do the deed.

I've been outfitting the companions with sharpshooter rifles and sabres, keeping them on foot, and using them to pick off linemen until the charge.

I've encountered a few bugs. Numerous instances of what appear to be incorrectly coded triggers, as red text will suddenly go up the side. Based upon the error codes, they look like trigger codes. Not sure where they are, though.

I attempted to use an all cavalry army, only to find that I was massacred. The horses would most often get shot out from under us, leaving us to fight on foot, immediately in front of a line of infantry peppering us with volleys.

I'm glad to help. I was happy to contribute constructive feedback. I don't know if you're already aware, but there is a mod you may want to look at called L'Aigle which appears to have some amazing features and textures. The link is here.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,195571.0.html

The modder in charge of it may be able/willing to extend some of their code or textures to you.

I think the idea of cavalry out west is going to be awesome.

If you need help gathering historically accurate data or testing things, let me know. I'm going to play some more of it and see what I else I can find.

Michelle

celestialred said:
Auldman said:
celestialred said:
Thank you both.

Hope that helps,

Michelle
[/spoiler]

I can do a play through of 1776 if you want more advice on that as well. I was actually pondering earlier how one could implement buck'n'ball that was used as a load for many American forces throughout the Revolution.

The Napoleonic tactic of using cavalry as a screen and often as a full on charge only when necessary is pretty standard. The infantry square was developed to deal with cavalry charges, but there are a few famous examples, such as Murat's cavalry charge at the Battle of Eylau, where cavalry took a very dominant role in what's usually called "Age of Enlightenment Warfare" or "Napoleonic War" due to using mixed order tactics and the changing face of warfare in the era.

During the Civil War, cavalry was, as you stated, often used to screen and scout, not fight full on. I've been trying to find a successful pattern in the mod to use the cavalry for screening. I've often used them to guard my sharpshooters as I wear down the lines to force them to charge me, allowing my line troops to volley them. I follow this up with telling my cavalry to charge or follow me on horseback as I use a Henry Rifle and a sabre to do the deed.

I've been outfitting the companions with sharpshooter rifles and sabres, keeping them on foot, and using them to pick off linemen until the charge.

I've encountered a few bugs. Numerous instances of what appear to be incorrectly coded triggers, as red text will suddenly go up the side. Based upon the error codes, they look like trigger codes. Not sure where they are, though.

I attempted to use an all cavalry army, only to find that I was massacred. The horses would most often get shot out from under us, leaving us to fight on foot, immediately in front of a line of infantry peppering us with volleys.

I'm glad to help. I was happy to contribute constructive feedback. I don't know if you're already aware, but there is a mod you may want to look at called L'Aigle which appears to have some amazing features and textures. The link is here.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,195571.0.html

The modder in charge of it may be able/willing to extend some of their code or textures to you.

I think the idea of cavalry out west is going to be awesome.

If you need help gathering historically accurate data or testing things, let me know. I'm going to play some more of it and see what I else I can find.[
Michelle
I think the use of cavalry, as you've described, is about the most accurate way to handle it. I've used this method as well, keeping my cavalry close to me, while engaging the enemy from the rear or flanks or protecting my rear and flanks from their cavalry. I let my infantry do the dirty work of head to head slugging it out with the enemy infantry. I think the best mod I've used here for proper use of cavalry is Brytenwalda where I tend to notice the cavalry circle and flank the enemy, looking to pick off stragglers, or I'll lead them myself around the enemies shieldwall and into their archers and javelin throwers.

I've got my eye on L'Aigle  :grin: And are you reffering to the new musket animations cause if so I think we've got our eye on that as well!

Ciao Michelle!!! :mrgreen:
Thank you very much for your nice words, to all of us, the Gabrilduro's Bunch, as I like to call all the people that are helping so much in all my projects and Mods (Team mates, Helpers and best Supporters!!).
My best compliments on your history knoledge and your precision and nice way to explain things....and after reading your profile, well...let me tell you that you are kind of a dream coming true: a girl that has these historical and videogame Skills...is not something that happens very often, on this "tough Warriors Males Forum" !!!  :mrgreen:
We all would be pleased to have your kind presence on the Forum more often and, even more, to actively work with us as a Helper and part of the Gabrilduro's Bunch!!  :cool:

Unfortunately my time is very short at this moment, but I will exchange comments with you and the Bunch tomorrow....and see how we can handle things better and all together, huh?

Forgive my english, since not perfect (I am Italian, hehehe )

Best regards

Gabby  :wink:

PS ...some of your points are already in the Mod but not developed yet.
Some other are in my mind, but I cannot do them yet.  :oops:

PSbis I am in contact with the creator of L'Aigle, as well (Auld, is one of the things that keep me busy and forget to answer to your messages  :oops: ) but he is very busy, of course...

Back
Top Bottom