SP Medieval Musket Era 1500s Britain 0.5 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Pisces

Veteran
This is a relatively simple mod of Britain (and northern France) in the early 16th century. While this mod does not try to follow accurate historical events of the time, it was a rather imaginative time in military history and this mod makes the most of this to give entertaining game-play. Guns were common place and effective but had not yet begun to dominate the battlefield or replace armour and cavalry.

This is an early release to build interest in the mod and keep me modivated. Several features are still half finished and there may be a number of bugs. To add to your pain later updates will not be savegame compatiable and you'll need to rename either your old or new version to keep playing your save. If your still interested in playing then thanks.

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1647

Features:
Map of Britain & Northern France.
5 Factions: England, Wales, Scotland, France and Ireland.
Balanced firearms.
Sea travel by Ruthven.
Tournaments by Pisces.
Formations (pikemen only) by Mirathei. (not yet fully implemented)
Numerous other minor tweaks.

To install: Extract the 1500s Britain folder into your modules folder of M&B. Source code is included, any of my work is free to use without asking for permission or giving credit. This does not apply to the other contributors who you usually do have to give credit for.
Credits:
TEATRC & D’Sparil: Ideas and inspiration, especially for making me believe firearms are compatible with M&B.
Mirathei: Formations.
Britain 1257 & Britain at War: Ideas and inspiration.
Sea travel by Ruthven & contributors:
Mirathei, for writing the original ship codes
James for the longship model/texture
Ruthven, for explanation+main code manipulation and basic scenes
MartinF for the trigger that changes you into a ship
Jubal for writing the original sea battle guide
Dudro for extended scene editing
Lumos for bugfix
Open source contributors, namely Luigi, James, RR_Raptor65 & the Pope.
Whoever made the 4 barrelled rifle which I used as a beginning for making another mesh.
Medieval total war 2 (Sega) for an interpretation of history that could be worse and I suspect some of the OSP textures where from this (can someone clarify this?).
Anyone else who made some part of this mod and I forgot.
The only meshes/textures which are mine are the Scottish & french plate and quad pistol.

To do:
Finish implementing the new banners.
Finish troop and tournament balance and ideas.
Make full sets of faction armour and replace some of the currently used models.
Finish formation script.
Populate the world more thoroughly (as the map is bigger, it needs more happening).
Clean up the map.
Make image for mod selection.
Other stuff.

Factions:
England:
A well rounded faction with excellent archers, heavy and light infantry; and good cavalry. England has the most balanced troop tree but as a result also the longest.
Peasant->Militia->spearman->vet. Spearman->swordsman->Dis. knight
vet. Spearman->billman->Heavy Billman
spearman->cavalry->h. cavalry->knight
Militia->archer->yeoman->longbowman
archer->Arquebusier
France.
More European than Britain, France wields many crossbows and superior knights.
Peasant->Militia->voulgier->vet. voulgier->Dis. Noble
voulgier->cavalry->Noble
Militia->peasant crossbowman->crossbowman->Adventurier
->crossbowman->Mounted crossbowman
peasant crossbowman->Arquebusier
Ireland.
Having fought off invaders numerious time, Ireland has acquired two things. 1: The genes of fierce viking and Scottish raiders. 2: Guerilla tactics for fending of invaders. With impressive skills with a gun or horse, invaders should not attack Ireland lightly.
Peasant->Ceitherne->Cliathairi->Ostman->Ulster Swordsman
Ostman->Muire
Cliathairi->Hobiguir->Ridire->Lord's Retinue
Ceitherne->Desi Javelinman->Raider->Caliverman
Desi Javelinman->Horseboy->Mounted Caliverman
Scotland.
Scotland has been at war with England for much of it's history and so developed the use of pikemen to counter England's cavalry and compensate for Scotland's own weaker knights. Fierce and dangerous highlanders wield two handed claymores make up the destructive power of the Scottish army.
Peasant->highland rabble->highlander->vet. highlander->Noble highlander
highlander->cavalry->knight
cavalry->noble swordsman
highland rabble->peasant archer->archer->noble archer
Peasant->pikeman->highland pikeman->noble pikeman
Wales.
Featuring excellent archers and spearmen, but lacking in the cavalry and infantry department.
Peasant->militia->Gwent raider->meirionydd spearman->morgannwg spearman
meirionydd spearman->mathrafal Horseman->teulu
Gwent raider->rhyfelwyr->vet. rhyfelwyr
Peasant->skirmisher->archer->helwyr->saethwyr

Gunpowder.
Historically at this time firearms were inaccurate, very heavy, took as much time as to reload as a light to medium crossbow and weren't partically lethal (roughly 3 hits on average to kill an unarmoured opponent or 6 for an armoured one). Their main advantage is they were reasonably fast, easy to use, not needing the training of a bow or strength of a crossbow; and in mass, able to take out a massed armoured formations.
In this mod however, they are very slow and very lethal. Just like real life, they are inaccurate, easy to use and heavy. They come in 3 types of pistols, the heavy arquebusier (unable to used made on horseback) and the lighter caliver.

No offence, but another Britain mod?

Aren't other regions in the world more interesting?

Also, this made me wonder if mods with other mods for the same game as inspiration and source are such a good idea:

Britain 1257 & Britain at War: Ideas and inspiration.

Interesting choice of period indeed. Should sport some excellent looking armours. Looking forward to this.

Only thing I never understand is why mods torture players with ethnic names of various troops. Saying horseman or archer in an xy language just for the sake of saying it...

Triglav said:
Interesting choice of period indeed. Should sport some excellent looking armours. Looking forward to this.

Only thing I never understand is why mods torture players with ethnic names of various troops. Saying horseman or archer in an xy language just for the sake of saying it...

Agreed, it is easy to understand the English and Scottish ones but the French, Irish and Welsh are confusing. Maybe if you called the "helwyr" helwyr Archers or somthing like it? If helwyr are archers, I am just guessing they are because they come from skirmishers.

-Miyelir

I  think it adds quite a lot to a mod to have the names in the native language. At least gives the feeling that your troops are actually from the region they are said to be.

FrisianDude said:
I  think it adds quite a lot to a mod to have the names in the native language. At least gives the feeling that your troops are actually from the region they are said to be.

No it doesn't. It is just confusing. I have to learn all those languages to be able to know who to upgrade to?
And then if you speak to one of them they all speak English. Myeah...

I also kina like it because then not every thing is too obvious. I want to explore what means what. And then I will remember it, too. :razz:

another Britain mod don't get me wrong i love my country but seriously?

all i have to say is that im glad it isn't medieval and also will it have more of a renaissance feeling to it?

Found a bug. When you go into Shrewsberry by the Welsh border and try to enter the Armour merchant, it crashes with an RGL error.

Otherwise, great job dude!

Familyguy1 said:
Found a bug. When you go into Shrewsberry by the Welsh border and try to enter the Armour merchant, it crashes with an RGL error.

Otherwise, great job dude!
Due to equipment randomly appearing at shops, hat's not just in Shrewsberry. The bascinet_nasal can't be found iirc. I did have it happen in Shrewsberry, but in York as well.

Anyway, the idea is nice, but I'd like to advise you, the creator, to use less OSP stuff because those armours are often odd. And maybe look a bit less at M2: TW? :razz:

Back
Top Bottom