Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille said:
Thinking about a kebab shop in Scotland, Istanbul express.  I think they had multiple locations, but we had this real turk working at this place.  Rare in Scotland. 

Gee, better read up the wiki on kebabs.  Did they invent kebabs in turkey?
Considering that kebab isn't a Turkic word, probably not.

If you mean Doner by kebab, yes:
h4pjicjx3di21.jpg

Turks improved kebab not invented it.
Kebab is a semitic word. I am not sure sth like Aramaic or Arabic itself.
Döner is Turkish though, it is a very recent invention, 19th century Bursa I believe.
Shwarma on the other hand is the mispronounced by Arabs version of the Turkish word çevirme which means ''turning one''

The orginal Turkic cusine is about milks and pastry. Yogurt(a Turkish word), Ayran, kımız, mantı, börek, ciborek, gözleme, sütlaç...
Not sure about dolma though, the word is Turkish but the food itself maybe not.

Most of the Kebab restaurants in Europe are owned by Turks though.

Afrandez said:
They told me they have a desert at Iconium

It is called Konya. It is not a desert, there was a volcano there which is why terrain is very dry. But it is steppe not desert.

KhergitLancer99 said:
Afrandez said:
They told me they have a desert at Iconium

It is called Konya. It is not a desert, there was a volcano there which is why terrain is very dry. But it is steppe not desert.
That's right, but KhergitLancer, if our country did have a desert, would it be something to be ashamed of?

BenKenobi said:
Yeah, Hitler ruined this moustache for the future generations, similarly to how he ruined the name Adolf.

I always liked the name Adolf, shame that a genocidal psycho destroyed this name.
Though I wonder if it was sth like Hans would it also be destroyed ?

Back
Top Bottom