1./JG 3 'Jagdgeschwader Udet' - Battle of Stalingrad Roleplay Squadron

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • k_3eE.png

JG3109b.png~original

Udetquote2b.png~original

Jagd1text.png~original

Jagdgeschwader Udet, numerically JG 3, was one of the most prominent formations in the Luftwaffe. Jagdgeschwader 3 first saw action during the Battle of France, starting a career that would see the fighter wing serve in Western Europe, Russia, the Mediterranean until the last days of the Reich. Whilst JG 3 is not as highly regarded as Jagdgeschwader 1 'Richthofen' or Jagdgeschwader 52 with the aces Hartmann, Barkhorn & Rall, JG 3 pilots proved their competence continually throughout the war.

Of notable interest to us are the actions undertaken by JG 3, and notably I. Gruppe, during the infamous Battle of Stalingrad. Jagdgeschwader Udet operated from airfields outside of the pocket, supporting the beleaguered German forces. A small Staffel, squadron, formed of 6 volunteer pilots from I. & II./JG3, protected the airfield of Pitomnik, covering Ju-52's as they flew in supplies for the German 6th Army.

In early-1942 Jagdgeschwader 3 was given the honourary name "Jagdgeschwader Udet", after the ace Ernest Udet.

Squadron.png~original

1./JG 3 (Virtual Squadron) is intended to perform two roles; firstly unite those IL2: Battle of Stalingrad pilots on these forums and secondly to provide a roleplay experience for them. The first is obvious and requires no explanation - if you want in then that is fine. The second part is what will require an in-depth explanation.

What do we mean by a "roleplay experience"? Put simply it is this; Those who wish to join in will have to make an 'avatar' of their pilot; name, age, a simple background and a photograph of a Luftwaffe pilot. They will then be placed into a position within the squadron and their own logbook entry generated. This logbook will record your flights, kills and any other information required. Your logbook will be updated over time by the Adjutant, based on evidence provided for kills and actions. As of the moment we are not looking into extending the "roleplay experience" into milsim-esque levels when actually flying. Formation flying will be expected and teamwork strongly encouraged.

Squadron Structure
    The Jagdgeschwader is a day fighter wing. Each Jagdgeschwader at the time of the Battle of Stalingrad commonly contained three Gruppe, referred to in Latin numerals (I., II., III.). Each of these Gruppe contained three Staffel, or squadron. These are numbered depending on which Gruppe they are a part of - for example I. Gruppe contains Staffel 1, 2 & 3, II. Gruppe has Staffel 4, 5 & 6. The Staffel is then broken down into two further constituent parts; The Schwarm and Rotte.
    • Jagdgeschwader: Day fighter wing, contains 3 Gruppe.
      • Gruppe: Contains 3-4 Staffel, standard autonomous strategic formation/
      • Staffel: Basic squadron, contains 3 Schwarm.
      • Schwarm: Tactical flight of four aircraft led by the most experienced & skilled pilot
      • Rotte: Two man team comprising the leader (Rottenführer) and wingman (Katchmarek)

5m4_z.png

Pilot.png~original

Pilot Background: When creating your avatar there are several things we want prospective members to bear in mind;
    [list type=decimal]
  • An Authentic name for a German pilot
  • Realistic elements for their background
For the first we will not accept comedic or alpha-numeric tags. The point of this is to spice up flying in Battle of Stalingrad with some roleplay. As such we'd expect your pilot's name to reflect this - if you get stuck then there is a list of the real pilots of JG 3 here (courtesy of Wellenbrecher). For the second, if you want to flesh out your character please do so. Consider questions such as where are they from? What social class? Where did they work? What is their marital status? This is not compulsory but it would be nice to have a small biography for each pilot.

Photograph: You will need a photograph of a Luftwaffe pilot for your profile/avatar in this thread. This is to define the pilot by giving them a physical appearance. If you can't find one that is suitable or just want to be given one then speak to the Adjutant and he will find you a picture for your profile.
Pilotmugshot.png~original

Roleplay.png~original

The central focus of this squadron is on the 'squad night'. The squad night is a date & time each week where we meet up and fly as a unit, with each person partnered with another (Rotte) and then depending on numbers divided into separate Schwarm. On these squad nights we will operate primarily with the Bf.109, hunting Soviet aircraft, protecting bombers or Pitomkin airfield, acting as Platzschutzstaffel Pitomnik - the volunteer squadron who defended the airfield in the Stalingrad pocket, a role performed by I & III Gruppe of JG/3.

During these squad nights your kills are recorded, as is whether you crash or bail out - the latter two may have serious consequences as you roll against a table to see what happens to your pilot! It might be capture, death, you might escape to live to fight another day! If your pilot is captured or killed then you will have to create a new avatar/persona and start from scratch.  Do not worry though, the odds on your character being killed or captured will be slim but the chance of it happening will spice things up.

After a squad night it is requested that squadron members send a brief after-action report to the Adjutant. Any kills must be confirmed by another squadron member or through gun footage, as in filmed in-game and then uploaded to a media site such as youtube.com, so that the Adjutant can double check. There are three types of kill;

• Claimed: Aircraft the pilot has claimed to have shot down but can not be corroborated. Does not count towards player kill count.
  • Probable: Despite the enemy aircraft sustaining damage the kill can not be confirmed.
  • Confirmed: Corroborated by either testimony from a second pilot or gun-camera footage.

Turning up for 'squad night' is not compulsory but we hope you would come to as many as you can as that will be the evening that underpins the Roleplay element of this squadron.

Enrolment.png~original

If you wish to join us in this endeavor then you must have a copy of IL2: Battle of Stalingrad, a microphone & TeamSpeak 3. Next you must complete several training flights with one of our experienced members so that they can see you perform basic elements such as take-off & landing, as well as basic aerial manouvres & formation flying. They will judge your potential and find any areas you need to work on with your flying. Once you have proven your ability then you will be welcomed fully into the squadron, where we will sort out your logbook and your any other details we require.[/list]

LdBne.png

Currently the Operational Sortie, or 'squad night', will take place on Sunday evenings and will be marked in GMT/CET. Currently we are considering what time would probably be best for all involved and will most likely be early/mid-evening and will update this as and when an initial starting date & time has been agreed upon. Attendence is not compulsory but we'd like you to attend as many as you are able, happy and willing to join us for.

The in-game objective for these missions will be chosen at the time depending upon what is happening upon the server we play on for the evening (server may vary depending on population levels and the map/mission offered).

kfsZW.png

cCyqJ.png
fPrD9.png
8UKUh.png
Cjn36.png
PsA_c.png
N6PpA.png
63X_o.png
5VLfs.png
sTOtR.png
lftC7.png
PD8wk.png
8a4UQ.png
Xa0Pu.png
Li6zs.png
5PXFk.png
lftC7.png
sDJBf.png

As dictated in the original post above, this project relies upon the pilot correctly filing their combat reports during the Sunday operational window. You're free to fly as many sorties as you wish during the Sunday, but you must log them here (submitting them to the Adjutant) for anything to be counted and interred. To keep things simple, please use the following template for your submission. We may then process and update as swiftly as possible.

Much of this template should be clear to understand but to avoid any questions I shall outline what is to be expected.
'Pilot' - Your operational rank and name.
'Airfield' - Your airfield of origin for the operational sortie.
'Rottenführer/Katchmarek' - Your leader and // or wingman, we must have verification for all claims, probables and confirms.
'Duty' - Detail your operational sortie here in a general manner, including all enemy contact and combat.

Code:
[b]Pilot:[/b]
[b]Airfield:[/b]
[b]Rottenführer/Katchmarek:[/b]

[b]Duty (incl. notes):[/b]

Well, Mr Flockton here will not be flying. He's a sucker for sitting in seats and using a pea-shooter...  :razz:
Anywho, second post will include rank tables, medal tables and most likely a transparent roll table (as well as a catalog of back-dated reports) for folk to see - just need time to add to it.

Amontadillo said:
I'd half feel like joining this...

If I had the game.

If I could fly worth a damn.

:sad:

They will probably badger me to join and you will undoubtedly be better than I. I'm bad luck incarnate as soon as I enter a flying crate.

QuailLover said:
I will be getting this game at some point. It's just a tad expensive at the moment.

It's not going to be any cheaper than it is now for some time.
Standard edition costs £35 right now; that's a fantastic price for a flight simulation.  :smile:

Indeed.  :grin:

Also, if any of you guys on the fence are looking for a joystick, then I can heartily recommend the T-16000M. Its hands down the best entry level stick on the market at the moment (it uses a hall sensor) and costs around $47. It's my js of choice right after CH Products or TM's Warthog. Plus, it has what you need to get started  in prop sims (twist for rudder and a good accurate motion).

Saitek products are best avoided as their price to quality (reliability) ratio is terrible and once you decide to a upgrade to a HOTAS setup you might as well go for quality (TM or CH).

Thanks for the offer Joe but we'll pass, it's simply much easier to find an appropriate photograph than having you redraw new pilots and staff as the Russian front grinds on. Also, we very much like photographs.  :smile:

Sir Prince - Purchase the game! Haha, no but seriously...  :cool:
We're looking for any and all pilots in Stalingrad!

Today I shall begin adding the tables for awards, commendations and other German frivolities. Pilot's will have their 'Amtsdokument' added, as well as a 'medal' cabinet.

Úlfheðinn said:
Honestly, anything would be an upgrade, even a Logitech 3D.
I have a Logitech 3D, and frankly it's ****. :razz:
It's always wanting to fly my plane to the left, and I can never get it to fly in a straight line without having to manhandle the joystick.
Maybe that's just mine though...

Anyway, this looks pretty cool. Makes me want to get Battle of Stalingrad so I can join.

Edit: How is this game as far as optimization on low-end PCs is concerned?

It's pretty damn well optimised, but now idea how low-end we're talking about here.
You could ask Ljas what his system is, I know it's pretty old and it's at least somewhat playable for him IIRC.

Also if the plane pulls to the left that could very well be the torque of the prop and not your stick malfunctioning. :razz:
Because the 3D Pro is completely fine for its price, apart from the throttle which is undoubtedly ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom