Resolved 1.9 re-added Companions being dumped into Battle Group I despite load out

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

Hechicera

Recruit
Summary: If a companion/family is not the captain of a battle group, and is readded to the party in the campaign (sent on quest, picked up via marriage, re-added from inn after party taken) in some cases they just get dumped into Battle Group 1 - still set as default infantry. I have not changed or added a filter to it. This is particularly obvious with mounted bowmen companions. But also happened with a mounted new wife of brother, who came mounted with just a sword. This means they run out mounted in front of the infantry when the line is given a charge command, and may die. Or you notice and unmount them, and they haven't the gear or stats to be in the unit, and die. They do use the right AI for their load out. But in the wrong group. So a horse archer companion in default group 1 will go circle the enemy (SOLO!) on melee line charge, and a mounted companion with a spear or sword will charge straight in (SOLO!). So wrong group, right AI.

Interestingly, if you notice at the start of battle, you can fix it. You make a dummy group of the right type using unused Group 5. (so a second horse archer, or a second cavalry) and make them the captain of that group, then disband that group. They then are tagged to the right group and AI. So you still have only Groups 1-4, but now the extra non-captain companions sort themselves out to the correct group when battle starts.

This seems new in 1.9. It may matter that I gave those companions a banner. Every companion/family did this had a banner. Group 1 did already have a melee companion captain with a banner. Not sure the exact cause but it happens consistently,and can be fixed awkwardly using the battle group AI, but that has to be redone every battle for the spare companions/family.

How to Reproduce: Let the game organically make the melee, archers, cavalry and horse cavalry as Units 1-4. Leave as is. Hire more than one companion/family suitable for a specific mounted role. Give them mounts and weapons (and a banner?). Make one the captain of the respective mounted group. Send the other on a quest. When the spare returns then engage bandits and send the melee group off on a charge. You can see the returned mounted companion is now attached to the melee Battle Group 1.

Have you used cheats and if so which: Fresh reinstall of 1.9, unmodded, steam directory deleted for reinstall.
Scene Name (if related): Any Battle.
Media (Screenshots & Video): not sure would help as only show result of bug, not how they got there
Computer Specs:
GPU: AMD
GPU Driver Version: AMD latest
CPU: AMD
RAM: enough to be n/a
Motherboard: ASUS
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

Forwarded to the QA team for further investigation. We will reach out again if we need more information. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!
Summary: If a companion/family is not the captain of a battle group, and is readded to the party in the campaign (sent on quest, picked up via marriage, re-added from inn after party taken) in some cases they just get dumped into Battle Group 1 - still set as default infantry. I have not changed or added a filter to it. This is particularly obvious with mounted bowmen companions. But also happened with a mounted new wife of brother, who came mounted with just a sword. This means they run out mounted in front of the infantry when the line is given a charge command, and may die. Or you notice and unmount them, and they haven't the gear or stats to be in the unit, and die. They do use the right AI for their load out. But in the wrong group. So a horse archer companion in default group 1 will go circle the enemy (SOLO!) on melee line charge, and a mounted companion with a spear or sword will charge straight in (SOLO!). So wrong group, right AI.

Interestingly, if you notice at the start of battle, you can fix it. You make a dummy group of the right type using unused Group 5. (so a second horse archer, or a second cavalry) and make them the captain of that group, then disband that group. They then are tagged to the right group and AI. So you still have only Groups 1-4, but now the extra non-captain companions sort themselves out to the correct group when battle starts.

This seems new in 1.9. It may matter that I gave those companions a banner. Every companion/family did this had a banner. Group 1 did already have a melee companion captain with a banner. Not sure the exact cause but it happens consistently,and can be fixed awkwardly using the battle group AI, but that has to be redone every battle for the spare companions/family.

How to Reproduce: Let the game organically make the melee, archers, cavalry and horse cavalry as Units 1-4. Leave as is. Hire more than one companion/family suitable for a specific mounted role. Give them mounts and weapons (and a banner?). Make one the captain of the respective mounted group. Send the other on a quest. When the spare returns then engage bandits and send the melee group off on a charge. You can see the returned mounted companion is now attached to the melee Battle Group 1.

Have you used cheats and if so which: Fresh reinstall of 1.9, unmodded, steam directory deleted for reinstall.
Scene Name (if related): Any Battle.
Media (Screenshots & Video): not sure would help as only show result of bug, not how they got there
Computer Specs:
GPU: AMD
GPU Driver Version: AMD latest
CPU: AMD
RAM: enough to be n/a
Motherboard: ASUS
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD
I have been searching the internet and nexus mods for a fix for this and haven't found anything. I have the same issue.
Three companions of mine I equip with heavy armor on horses with polearm and shield and thirdly a one-handed sword. Every Single pre-battle setup they start in Group 1 Infantry. This did NOT happen after sending any of them on a quest and returning however. All of them I hired and equipped for cavalry with 1 being somewhat proficient in riding and polearm, just for reference.

I have to create a dumby group of cavalry in group X, Unset group 3 cavalry, Then reset group 3 as cavalry, And then unset group X cavalry. Then, and only then will all of my companions be in group 3 cavalry. It is very tedious. Setting filters doesn't seem to do anything to rectify this particular setup.

I have been having this issue for quite some time. Bannerlord 1.8-1.0

Please oh for the love of God can you guys put the party screen formation/group selection back into the game. One can only hope. Really I just wanted to confirm the issue, not complain. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm having this issue too. I use Proxy1's workaround of creating a dummy group and then moving them into the appropriate battle group.

Back
Top Bottom