Resolved [1.7 Beta] AI lords start armies in peace time! You said they wouldn't do it anymore but they do it anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: Some updates ag o it was presented that AI would no longer make armies in peace time (though they don't break them up), however, to my dismay an AI lord made an army in peace time and summoned my clan parties instantly! I want them to join ME when a war starts not be wasted in an AI army doing jack **** .
How to Reproduce: Just be at peace and see what happens. Please re-fix it!
Have you used cheats and if so which: No
Media (Screenshots & Video):
0XEyI.jpg

^at peace, some **** makes an army anyways and now I can't use my clan parties (unless I break thier army and make everyone mad)
yjav3.jpg

^the 3 Aserai wanderer's are mine, they good boys but now they each got -1 relation with me for disbanding the army!

Last edited:
i also hate that they make armies in peace time, not because i cant collect everyone, but because the armies often go hungry and are unprepared when wars start. it also keeps the parties within the army from recruiting more troops because they only visit towns, often times the same one, and they cant be let free to chase looters infesting the country, among other issues, overall penalizing the economy

with that being said, you only need a couple guys in your army to be able to conquer and defend things. 2000 men is roughly enough to pretty much conquer anything. just 1000-1200 will usually cut it for any well garrisoned castle, even less if the owners of the castle are cutting costs and have removed most of the garrison

it is not the amount of parties in your army that matter or being able to summon everyone, its the size of those parties that matter. you can do with very few but large parties and be much more efficient with your influence spending. having too many parties in your army drains your cohesion a lot faster no matter how many men each party has, so you end up spending way more influence even if you also summon all your companions than if you just grabbed whatever few guys with +100 men in their party. managing an army with around 15-20 parties in it means you have to refill your cohesion daily because it drops below half every day, or even less time. if you lack more guys, its better to dismiss those that have too few men in their party now and summon new in, now that other armies are dispersing, than it is to invite all in at once from the beginning and have them all drain your cohesion from the start for little other reason than being big on the world map

unless your faction is on the verge of dying out and is losing all its clans - it does not appear to be - and with that guy on your screen only having summoned 9 parties, you should still have way more people to summon than he has, enough to be able to take maximized towns. but you still dont have to summon everyone to make success out of it

another reason why its a bad idea to have every party under command is that no one are present to defend villages. the more villages that get raided, the more the tribute for peace rises. taking towns and castles instead of defending raises the tribute too. defeating enemy armies raises the tribute you receive instead, camping near towns they are going to take allows you to take them off guard, either by breaking in when the siege starts or taking advantage of their disorganized debuff (the debuff that is the reason why equal fights are a sure victory to the attacker). allowing parties to roam freely to raid enemy villages raises the tribute in your favor, too. making your enemies bankrupt during peace has a stronger impact than taking a few of their fiefs. you dont need a lot of parties under your command to defend fiefs if you break into the sieges, and the death toll for doing that will be way smaller than facing them on the open field even if they were outnumbered there. and once the kingdom tab shows that you have the upper hand in units and prisoners captured, you wont need a lot of parties to go safely on the offensive, just enough to meet the garrison size... because no one will be around to stop you

Last edited:
i also hate that they make armies in peace time, not because i cant collect everyone, but because the armies often go hungry and are unprepared when wars start. it also keeps the parties within the army from recruiting more troops because they only visits towns, often times the same one, and they cant be let free to chase looters infesting the country, among other issues, overall penalizing the economy

with that being said, you only need a couple guys in your army to be able to conquer and defend things. 2000 men is roughly enough to pretty much conquer anything. just 1000-1200 will usually cut it for any well garrisoned castle, even less if the owners of the castle are cutting costs and have removed most of the garrison

it is not the amount of parties in your army that matter or being able to summon everyone, its the size of those parties that matter. you can do with very few but large parties and be much more efficient with your influence spending. having too many parties in your army drains your cohesion a lot faster no matter of how many men each party has, so you end up spending way more influence even if you also summon all your companions than if you just grabbed whatever few guys with +100 men in their party. managing an army with around 15-20 parties in it means you have to refill your cohesion daily because it drops below half every day, or even less time. if you lack more guys, its better to dismiss those that have too few men in their party now and summon new in, now that other armies are dispersing, than it is to invite all in at once from the beginning and have them all drain your cohesion from the start for little other reason than being big on the world map

unless your faction is on the verge of dying out and is losing all its clans - it does not appear to be - and with that guy on your screen only having summoned 9 parties, you should still have way more people to summon than he has, enough to be able to take maximized towns. but you still dont have to summon everyone to make success out of it

another reason why its a bad idea to have every party under command is that no one are present to defend villages. the more villages that get raided, the more the tribute for peace rises. taking towns and castles instead of defending raises the tribute too. defeating enemy armies raises the tribute you receive. letting parties roam freely to raid enemy villages raises it in your favor, too. making your enemies bankrupt doing peace has a stronger impact than taking a few of their fiefs. you dont need a lot of parties under your command to defend fiefs if you break into the sieges, and the death toll for doing that will be way smaller than facing them on the open field even if they are outnumbered there. and once the kingdom tab shows you have the upper hand in units and prisoners captured, you wont need a lot of parties to go safely on the offensive, just enough to meet the garrison size... because no one will be around to stop you
Yes, there's many other unpleasantries besides me wanting to control my clan parties. I think what would be good is to increase the party limit by 1 BUT have 1 party from each clan be designated as a Police party that patrols for bandits and does issues and only engages if some one is looting a village and cannot join an army! This would also improve the early game as these single parties are good for the early player party when they first become a merc. Currently it can be hard to find many single parties to cut your teeth on early game as the AI packs them all into armies!

Yes, there's many other unpleasantries besides me wanting to control my clan parties. I think what would be good is to increase the party limit by 1 BUT have 1 party from each clan be designated as a Police party that patrols for bandits and does issues and only engages if some one is looting a village and cannot join an army! This would also improve the early game as these single parties are good for the early player party when they first become a merc. Currently it can be hard to find many single parties to cut your teeth on early game as the AI packs them all into armies!
and another thing that might add just a little favor for the player is to be able to summon the ruler... i am not sure why we are not allowed to do that, pretty sure i have seen other ai armies with the ruler hanging out inside them. i have not seen it in a while though, could have been a patch that made that impossible for everyone

another feature could be to allow your companion parties to start summoning armies for half the influence cost per party, though still taking from your influence. then you can tell them to merge their army with yours if you want them all under your command. that would be cheaper for you, though circumstantial, since you dont get to decide when or where they begin an army, or if they do at all. you only gave them the allowance to do it

while the merging thing would be special, i see its not impossible for other clans to have their members create armies, for them its not only a clan leader's privilege. and honestly, i dont see why an ai clan leader should not be allowed to have one of their family members armies merge together with theirs, too, if they are going into a spiral of visiting towns to gain more men

Last edited:
Is Vlandia not at war with some mercenary clan?
I think they count every war and not only wars against other factions.
Well we'll never know because the encyclopedia will always list the minor clans as enemies no matter if they currently are or not. But if that's the reason it needs to be changed too, since it will cause the same problem all the time.

i feel like the mercs are bugged on some parts in general... i noticed sometimes when they sign out of a contract with your faction without joining another immediately, they are considered your enemy for no reason, and you can attack them. and then there is the whole thing where they seem to be buddies with criminals and leave them alone as long as they are not part of a faction, and might even join bandits in fight against villagers and caravans if they are enemies with those factions. so much for nobles thinking the mercenaries are honorable

i had one moment where i chased an enemy mercenary i thought i could just about defeat, but he then turned around and rallied a bunch of looters and sea raiders unto his side?

Last edited:
I've been informed that this bug is fixed and the fix will be sent to the game with future patches. Probably won't be included in the next patch but the one after that. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom