1.7.0 the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

The Good.

It's an OOB. Awesome. When it's working properly and the kinks are worked out, it's going to allow for a huge QOL improvement in how players setup and deploy their armies.

The Bad.

We've lost granular control of how we setup and deploy groups. There is no real easy way to create a body guard unit made up of companions. There is no real way to actually effectively sort your soldiers out. You can nudge it, a bit, but at the end of the day it's still pretty janky.

The Ugly.

Bugs. Oh god there are bugs. When it's working smoothly, it will be great. Right now? Don't change formations 1, 2, 3 or 4 from the default formation types. Even if you just move those formations to different keys. Just don't. The OOB heavily favors those first 4, and it will glitch out and make those formations over and over again if you have them empty (I like to play with the keys 4-7, they are more comfortable for my big old hand to reach from ESDF) It was a nightmare though. Every single battle, I'd have to hope units were not glitched out and locked into formations 1-4, forcing me to screw with the formations hoping not to cause a crash.

Companions. Oh jesus companions. The AI often has no idea what to do with them. It can't figure out what they are supposed to be. Ending up with fun stuff like your horse archer setup companions being forced into an infantry formation. Don't try too hard to fix it, or moving a slider will CTD you.

Nothing saves. Positions, orders, formations. Formation locks don't persist. About the only thing you can count on, if you ONLY use formations 1-4, is that the troops will stay roughly in the same groups.

A lot of this is growing pains I think, so that's a bonus.

Suggestions.

Give us some control back. Give us more filters for the formations, like a companion filter, a 2h weapon filter, bow/crossbow/throwing.
Give us back some control back in the party window. Instead of us being able to assign formations, allow us to assign unit type. It will help the sorting algorithm out I imagine. If it's putting stuff in a group we don't want it to be in, we can always set that troop type/companion to the specific unit type we want (infantry/ranged/horse archer/cavalry).

If it isn't planned, please let us save the basic formation/position changes we make. If I want my infantry to start in loose formation, please persist it between battles.

Anyways. Looking forward to seeing this feature expanded and improved on, and hopefully some of these early bugs worked out sooner rather than later :smile:

Problem with current changes is that the devs expect exactly zero agency from player. If you have big army that will have reinforcements, those reinforcements will spawn in same place (or slightly behind) the default spawning position during the deployment phase. So if you decide to change your position in the middle of the fight or during deployment reinforcements will still teleport into the default position, meaning into middle of enemy army or behind it. So 100% immersion break and no tactic possible with larger armies pretty much. Also on some maps you get spawned 130 metres away from enemies, so if you want to use ranged units to their full extent you probably have to relocate which will ruin your experience once reinforcements arrive.

Beam me down Scotty.

giphy.gif

This!

Problem with current changes is that the devs expect exactly zero agency from player.
The player can't be allowed to think, thinking exhausts brain stamina which we want to preserve as much of as possible to keep Joe Casual sprouting roots in front of the monitor.
This patch is ****ing peak taleworlds.
You said it. I can imagine them showering in the superficial praise they've been getting for reasons reason cannot explain all while not having accomplished much of substance.

Problem with current changes is that the devs expect exactly zero agency from player. If you have big army that will have reinforcements, those reinforcements will spawn in same place (or slightly behind) the default spawning position during the deployment phase. So if you decide to change your position in the middle of the fight or during deployment reinforcements will still teleport into the default position, meaning into middle of enemy army or behind it. So 100% immersion break and no tactic possible with larger armies pretty much. Also on some maps you get spawned 130 metres away from enemies, so if you want to use ranged units to their full extent you probably have to relocate which will ruin your experience once reinforcements arrive.

Beam me down Scotty.
True.

In an army vs army battle I decided to put my troops slightly back to use my archers more effectively against the enemy. The AI rushed me thinking he had the upper hand. To my surprise my reinforcement started spawning in the middle of the enemy and they were running to get to the positions I had set.

They shuld spawn just like in warhammer, from the edge of the map behind. At least that's how I see it.

Beam me down Scotty.
Taleworlds has show time and time again that they don't want the player having too much control so they minimalize how many systems we can actually have any real control over, so in their minds this is working as intended. I guess this is a byproduct of "fast paced" game play. ?

Taleworlds has show time and time again that they don't want the player having too much control so they minimalize how many systems we can actually have any real control over, so in their minds this is working as intended. I guess this is a byproduct of "fast paced" game play. ?
No this time its just an oxymoron. On one hand they made system that allows you to deploy units on like 40% of the map, on the other hand it kinda works only if you stay at the default position.

Back
Top Bottom