Resolved [1.6.4 Beta (and past)] Stationary Ranged units don't aim accurately enough at circling Horse Archers, they don't do appropriate Kills

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: It is a general problem that ranged units (stationary) just do not track and aim and circling Horse Archer enemies well enough to meet reasonable expectations of troop amount and Tier superiority against circling Horse archers. It has been commonly complained of and is easily observed by positioning a large amount of high tier ranged units and watching as much smaller/lower tier amount of horse archers easily ride around a them over and over, the stationary ranged just doesn't perform as would be expected as seems unreasonably balanced in favor of moving (AI) Horse archers.
How to Reproduce: position a large amount of high tier ranged units and watch as much smaller/lower tier amount of horse archers easily ride around a them over and over
Have you used cheats and if so which: NO

Media (Screenshots & Video):
Here 100+ T6 stationary HA fails to shoot down 5 HA.
https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliqueMiniatureAyeayeChefFrank-2PbmC9per04NqKqP
Here they likewise fail to take out 2, they have about 20X fire power superiority, this should not happen :smile:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchyGoldenSharkPJSalt-mMhc7dCufig3cpRM
^Hope these work properly I haven't tried clipping before.

I Love Horse archers and the Khuzaits but it's a common complaint that player don't like fighting against HA and feel it's unfair. I think the inability of stationary ranged to shoot them down is a big part of it and would be a big improvement if fixed. Stationary ranged is supposed to have higher accuracy and damage then moving ranged (HA) but this is absolutely not what we experience in actual battle. Stationary ranged units, even high tier ones, are mostly good at shooting enemies directly in front of them and struggle to hit moving HA. The work around now is to trap the HA on the edge of the map and force a face to face shoot out (or melee), but even this was purposefully made more difficult to do some updates back. It's still possible but the fact it was interfered with by development makes it seem they intend for us to let HA circle us but do not program ranged to be able to shoot them.
Troop count and power needs to be reflected more constantly. If the player has 100 ranged units position against 50 equal tier approaching HA, the 100 should easily destroy the 50 before they can get behind. Likewise if we have 2 or 3 t2 ranged and the enemy 1 t2 HA, our ranged should easily shoot it down before it can damage our units or turn them. In situations where we have 100+ t5-6 ranged against a typical khuzait HA formation, the approaching HA should be obliterated on sight at least 1/ 2 and few if any should be able to pass behind our troops.

I can't overstate how much I feel this balance issue is due to the poor performance of stationary ranged and not the performance of HA: nerfing HA will not improve this as they will still just circle around and distract out troops and waste our ammo.

Back
Top Bottom