1.5 Update Feedback (Combat, Pricing,Factions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Crypex

Veteran
The updated overall feels like a step in the right direction. I think taleworlds did a good job from first looks.
Combat
- Swings feel slower
+ block delay is gone so I do not suffer from the weapon freeze
- Kick slashes are semi gone and are harder to execute
+ throwing weapons have been nerfed hard that they are not too powerful as they were.

Pricing base
The new update gave us a good pricing base on how factions should be, but the pricing base as of right now is not good for live servers.

Average Prices
160 for high-end archer
200 for high-end cavalry
160 for high-end infantry

Everything else falls in between

However, this pricing range has significantly weakened combined arms factions and made lower-tier classes have more value to players than high tier classes. I believe that may be a good approach regarding how we balance prices would be a performance to price ratio.

Factions
So far I feel heavy infantry are very weak in-game given how a player can usually run the infantry once. This is problematic for a heavy infantry based faction. I believe that factions should focus more on what the factions focus on. A faction that focuses on heavy infantry factions should be able to field heavy infantry more effectively than a faction that does not specialize in this area.

Faction Type
In this section, I would rank the performance on a 0-5 ratio in the departments of this faction. This is more focused on the approach more than what is actually in the game. I do not have access to the data on the performance of all classes but assuming that there is data the approach will be easier to implement. The scores should represent how effectively this faction can field this specific type of class.

Between 1-4 the faction is between the range of balance
Above 4 the faction focus is too powerful
below 1 the faction focus is too weak

A maximum score of 7 would be achieved by all factions
1= Higher than average Price/Cant Field high-end class, Bad Quality
2= Average Price, Bad Quality
3= Average Price, Good Quality
4= Good Quality, Lower than average Price

Combined Arms (Jack of all trades master of none)
Combined arms factions would be factions that are able to field units is not so price effective but is still capable of doing well given how well the other classes in this faction would be able to carry each other. Essentially this should be teamwork-heavy factions where all players must do well if they were to be successful.

Good examples would be
Empire
Inf:2.5
Archer:2.5
Cav:2

Valandia
Inf:2
Archer:2
Cav:3

Battania:
Inf: 3
Archer: 3
Cav: 1

Archery Based
Aserai
Inf: 1
Archer: 4
Cav: 2

Infantry Based
Sturgia
Inf: 4
Archer: 1
Cav: 2

Cavalry Based
Khuzait:
Inf: 1
Archer: 2
Cav: 4

Examples of the problem of value to performance

Example 1: Both Khuzaits and Empire having their heavy cavalry cost the same. Instead, khuzaits should be the only faction that can run a lancer twice with 380 gold.
Example 2: Sturgia and vlandia having their heavy infantry cost the same

This is how the game should be set up but the pricing in the beta does not represent what it should be hence faction balancing is essential.

The performance can be improved in either lowering the price or making the options to this class better.
Example 1: sturgia Varyag is even to an empire legionary in performance. Now the sturgia player would outclass the empire player if he can foster 2 spawns with heavy infantry in comparison to the empire player assuming both players have 300 gold.

Example 2: Sturgia being able to field a medium armored infantry that is the slightly less of the level of performance as a legionary.

Example 3: A new class that is a hybrid and can alternate rolls between infantry and archer at a high price. A good example would be aserai veterans as of right now. The hybrid class would go toe to toe with a 2 ranked class infantry for example.

These are very different examples, my point is the possibilities are endless with balancing and I think TW can utilize their talent to balance these factions with this underlying premise.

This post is my opinion but I would appreciate insight from the community and see if the developers should follow the premise if the community likes the idea/has more ideas to add on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom