Resolved 1.5.9 allies walk in front of your arrows

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: when using the follow me command if you stop walking to aim and shoot arrows, your allies will walk in front of you
How to Reproduce: hit f1 then f2 in a battle to make your army follow you. Walk forward then stop walking. Allies will walk in front of you.

So, this has been an issue for as long as I have been playing this game. Whenever you use the follow me command, your allies will just walk in front of you whenever you stop to fire arrows at an enemy. This is mainly an issue when doing hideouts as that's really the only battles where I'll just stop walking to aim. Countless allies have been shot in the head because they decided it was a good idea to walk in front of me while I'm trying to shoot a bandit. This could be solved easily by moving the rally point for the follow me command to a little farther behind the player.

I see what you mean, no problems with that, but it also have its own issues.

Like what if you are on foot leading an infantry group vs the enemy, do you really want to be infront of the troops or in the middle of them then?
Read if you are in front of the line you are meatshield.

When I do the hideouts I just tell'em to do F3 + F4, or if I "feel" them going to bypass me, I'll just hit F1 to make'em stop in a spot, then snipe the ppl I want with my arrows, bit more micromanageing sure, but anyways.

My opinion is that this isnt the right part of the forums for it, should have been posted in the "suggestions" instead.
As its not a "bug/technical" issue, but a design decision.

I see what you mean, no problems with that, but it also have its own issues.

Like what if you are on foot leading an infantry group vs the enemy, do you really want to be infront of the troops or in the middle of them then?
Read if you are in front of the line you are meatshield.

When I do the hideouts I just tell'em to do F3 + F4, or if I "feel" them going to bypass me, I'll just hit F1 to make'em stop in a spot, then snipe the ppl I want with my arrows, bit more micromanageing sure, but anyways.

My opinion is that this isnt the right part of the forums for it, should have been posted in the "suggestions" instead.
As its not a "bug/technical" issue, but a design decision.
I don't think it's a design choice as it feels and looks like my footmen are pushing each other in front of me when this happens. Almost as if they're all trying to get to and stand on my exact position.

I don't think it's a design choice as it feels and looks like my footmen are pushing each other in front of me when this happens. Almost as if they're all trying to get to and stand on my exact position.
But "thats" kind of what they are supposed to unless you have a specific formation aswell?

Have you tried to see how it is if you give them formations like "square" will it just be 1 who stands in your way, if you tell them to Spread out etc.
You should then see that they fan out, if they all "try to get in front of you still like you describe then it could be a bug.

My troops will do as you say, but I've always thougth of it as a design choice, as its kind of similar to how it was in Warband aswell.
They act different if I tell them to do formations etc, but generally I just either let'em charge or micro-manage them like I mentioned.

Could you capture a video of this issue while happening? IT will help us understand the issue better.

Looking more closely, when there is enough room, it seems to be an orientation issue. They seem to only want to face the one way rather than the way you're facing and traveling.

But "thats" kind of what they are supposed to unless you have a specific formation aswell?

Have you tried to see how it is if you give them formations like "square" will it just be 1 who stands in your way, if you tell them to Spread out etc.
You should then see that they fan out, if they all "try to get in front of you still like you describe then it could be a bug.

My troops will do as you say, but I've always thougth of it as a design choice, as its kind of similar to how it was in Warband aswell.
They act different if I tell them to do formations etc, but generally I just either let'em charge or micro-manage them like I mentioned.

When you give them a formation they spazz out even worse. Circle makes them do nothing but act like they're having grand mal seizure.

Looking more closely, when there is enough room, it seems to be an orientation issue. They seem to only want to face the one way rather than the way you're facing and traveling.

When you give them a formation they spazz out even worse. Circle makes them do nothing but act like they're having grand mal seizure.

Good to know, and def something they should improve upon.

Again I just micro-managed them so I never really "cared/Seen" about them being in the way =)

Back
Top Bottom