In Progress [1.5.7] Children inheriting culture solely from mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Still an issue in 1.8.0

Children still all mothers culture, Sturgian father/Aserai mother = 4 Aserai children both male and female.

0KTp5.jpg
5sKcv.jpg
hbyse.jpg
TR-Vt.jpg

Hey, i have been informed that the design for the inheritence of culture for the children has changed. According to the new design, if its the players child, it will take the culture solely from the player. If both parents are NPC , then the culture for the cild is randomized between the parent cultures. So its not against the design for them to have the same culture as long as it is the culture of one of the parents. Unless one of your children does not have the same culture with your character, everything looks in order here.

Hey, i have been informed that the design for the inheritence of culture for the children has changed. According to the new design, if its the players child, it will take the culture solely from the player. If both parents are NPC , then the culture for the cild is randomized between the parent cultures. So its not against the design for them to have the same culture as long as it is the culture of one of the parents. Unless one of your children does not have the same culture with your character, everything looks in order here.
The randomization is not working. They are all their mother's culture.

@MArdA TaleWorlds

Sorry to tag you, but I believe we'd like to know an answer on this, it's being over several patches
At this point I've always figured its a gamedesign decision?
But yah its abit "annoying/frustrating" see a original settlement rebel cause of the owner now being of Vlandian stock and thus get the -3 penalty in long plays where 2nd gen takes the ownership..

And the randomisation they mention I've not seen in my long plays as the others state its still only mothers culture.

Then please change it back, to sons inherit culture from their father and daughters from their mother, the naming system currently use this system and it is more than strange to find a hero with a empire name but battanian culture.

Then is not working.... Even the child from player is only the mother the same happens at the NPC...

Could take for the responsible Dev, please? @uçanbiblo @MArdA TaleWorlds

@Blood Gryphon @Apocal , what i said is right? You have been playing more than me lately

The old system was much better

Thank you
At this point I've always figured its a gamedesign decision?
But yah its abit "annoying/frustrating" see a original settlement rebel cause of the owner now being of Vlandian stock and thus get the -3 penalty in long plays where 2nd gen takes the ownership..

And the randomisation they mention I've not seen in my long plays as the others state its still only mothers culture.

It was a try, but a Failure on that

The AI is too stupid to make proper marriages, the AI will always have trouble with the incompatible with culture from the marriages and children born from it and rebellions would be endless

Hey, unfortunately the new design for this feature is not implemented to the game, yet. It will be implemented with further patches. I can notify under this thread, and it should be announced in the patchnotes when it does.

Hey, unfortunately the new design for this feature is not implemented to the game, yet. It will be implemented with further patches. I can notify under this thread, and it should be announced in the patchnotes when it does.
ok, thank you...

Can you also take to the responsible dev this worry that i have?

The Ai is too stupid for the right marriages under the culture which could make a unbalanced chain of rebellions across provinces dues to the wrong culture penalty on settlements.

Suggestion: Maybe if he and the person that coded the education events could make something that during the education the child (player) would be able choose which culture he wants be educated and the NPC would have a random chance, but more favorable to the original culture

In terms of the problems with "rebellions" due to "wrong culture" due to culture issues for long play.

maybe the AI regardless should be "smarter" when picking who is governor.

Example Mesui marries a Vlandian lord - the couple is childless, due to untimely deaths in the clan besides her of old age ->
The owner is now said Vlandian lord.
As time goes one of the children in the clan reaches 18 and instead of the clan picking a Khuzait to govern Baltakhand which already have -3 loyalty due to culture penalty.. now gets 1 of the kids as governor -1 cause said governor is of Aserai culture.
Add that Baltakhand is notorious to have bandithideouts "all the time" often 2 at a time - thus security can tank which also leads to low loyalty.
Rebellion.
Since the Khuzait arent at war - they cant form armies - they cant retake the rebelling city.
The disbanding of armies need to have an added state imo so they can form to retake rebelling cities ehem(another topic).

But do you see why this current design isnt "ideal"

It was all mother before now its all father's culture. And I've been informed that this is an intended change.
I have to agree with @Apocal, this is just the exact same issue as before. The original way of having boys be their fathers culture and girls their mothers culture was optimal. It allowed the opportunity to have some of your children be the correct governor type if you own lands outside of your culture and gave a reason to marry outside of your culture.

In many campaigns ive experienced, if you join the faction of your culture you rarely actually get your cultures fiefs as they are already taken by the original clans, unless of course you join so late that their kingdom is half taken (most kingdoms keep their original fiefs for the first 5 years, most campaigns you can get your clan tier high enough to join a kingdom before any kingdom really starts to decline). So most the time you get another cultures fief and it was always nice to be able to marry a person from that culture so that eventually you'll have a child that can govern those cities appropriately.

@Duh_TaleWorlds what are your thoughts on this, do you guys really think making all children the fathers culture is better than having it split by gender like it originally was? I feel like it removes a tactical decision away from marriage that use to make me actually think about who i married other than just going out and finding the best fighter to lead parties. I use to have to think about hey what culture's fiefs do i want to own and who should i marry to help me make governors.

I have to agree with @Apocal, this is just the exact same issue as before. The original way of having boys be their fathers culture and girls their mothers culture was optimal. It allowed the opportunity to have some of your children be the correct governor type if you own lands outside of your culture and gave a reason to marry outside of your culture.
No, it is not quite the same issue as before, since children taking culture from their fathers greatly reduces the amount of clan members whose culture does not match the fixed culture of their clan. Because in the current situtation, where kids are born almost always into their father's clan but take their culture from their (foreign) mothers, cross-culture marriages lead to mismatches between the culture of the children and the clan. This is/can be an issue, because it means that fiefs held by the clan which match the culture of the clan could then face a wrong governor culture loyalty penalty (once these children come of age and are appointed as governors).
I do agree however, that the downside of children taking culture from their fathers is that it does take away the ability for the player to influence the culture of their clan's children (exception: children of a female player character)

I think that each of the mentioned culture inheritance systems has its own advantages and disadvantages:

1. Children take culture from their mothers:
  • Cross-culture marriages lead to culture mismatch between clan and clan members born from these marriages (unless the woman is clan leader, as children will then be part of her clan while also inheriting their culture from her).
  • But the player can easily influence the culture of children born into the player's clan (exception: the children of a female player character, which will always have PC's culture).
  • With this system there will be several AI clans who have governors with wrong culture in fiefs matching the clan's culture as the game goes on, simply because there will be quite many clan members whose culture does not match their clan's culture.

2. Children take culture from their fathers:
  • Cross-culture marriages don't lead to culture mismatch between clan and clan members born from these marriages (unless the woman is clan leader).
  • But the player cannot influence the culture of children born into the player's clan (exception: children of female PC).
  • AI clans with wrong governor culture in fiefs matching the clan's culture will be rare, as only clans with female clan leaders would have children born with a culture different from the clan.

3. Sons take culture from their fathers, daughters from their mothers:
  • Cross-culture marriage leads to some culture mismatch between clan and clan members.
  • Most clan member's culture would probably match the clan's culture, as most children will be born into their father's clan and most sons will remain in that clan while most daughters will leave that clan once they marry.
  • The player can easily influence the culture of daughters born into the player's clan, but not of sons (again exception children of female PC, where the reverse is true).

Also with the 1. system chances are high that there will be clans where all the clan members have a different culture than the clan itself as the game goes on, while these chances are low in the 2. system, and moderate in the 3. These clans will then always have a culture penalty (owner or governor) in any fief that they own.

Personally, my preferred solution would be that children always inherit the culture from their clan, but to also give the player the opportunity to educate the children of the player's clan in another culture, thereby changing their culture (maybe with the requirement that children can only be educated in a culture of their parents).

Last edited:
Personally, my preferred solution would be that children always inherit the culture from their clan, but to also give the player the opportunity to educate the children of the player's clan in another culture, thereby changing their culture (maybe with the requirement that children can only be educated in a culture of their parents).
This would be the optimal solution. When a child is born and we get the popup to choose their stats, the first option we get should ask us which culture we want to raise our child as if the childs parents are of different cultures (if both parents are the same culture then this isnt needed).

@Duh_TaleWorlds @MRay any thoughts on if this is possible?

It was all mother before now its all father's culture. And I've been informed that this is an intended change.

Why did you change your minds?
Feels like calling this issue resolved is a stretch.
The current "solution" is essentially just an UNO reverse card.

An actual solution would be something like determining the player children's culture manually, either at birth or during childhood, along with making the NPC children inherit the culture dominant in the clan/kingdom they currently belong to.

Denying the player the ability to exert any influence on the culture of their own offspring is ridiculous, unrealistic, and straight-up bad.
What if I start as an imperial, but defect to the Aserai?
Will my children, their children, and their children's children be forced to remain outsiders?

Are you actually unable to implement a proper system for this, or is it that your rush to "release" the game means this isn't considered a priority?
I'm going to give the game another go today for the first time since 1.7.0, but my hopes are pretty low considering there's still so many game components that just don't work well enough to be enjoyable.

Loads of minor issues like this one still add up to a single massive problem for the game.

Why did you change your minds?
Feels like calling this issue resolved is a stretch.
The current "solution" is essentially just an UNO reverse card.

An actual solution would be something like determining the player children's culture manually, either at birth or during childhood, along with making the NPC children inherit the culture dominant in the clan/kingdom they currently belong to.

Denying the player the ability to exert any influence on the culture of their own offspring is ridiculous, unrealistic, and straight-up bad.
What if I start as an imperial, but defect to the Aserai?
Will my children, their children, and their children's children be forced to remain outsiders?

Are you actually unable to implement a proper system for this, or is it that your rush to "release" the game means this isn't considered a priority?
I'm going to give the game another go today for the first time since 1.7.0, but my hopes are pretty low considering there's still so many game components that just don't work well enough to be enjoyable.

Loads of minor issues like this one still add up to a single massive problem for the game.
This would be the optimal solution. When a child is born and we get the popup to choose their stats, the first option we get should ask us which culture we want to raise our child as if the childs parents are of different cultures (if both parents are the same culture then this isnt needed).

@Duh_TaleWorlds @MRay any thoughts on if this is possible?
they couldn't make the new code work on time, so made this decision perharps.
Blood, suggestion is great, I'd love have this option for the player and the AI would have some % to this to happen

Back
Top Bottom