[1.5.7] Battlemap-Pool needs a rework

Users who are viewing this thread

Hammerhi99

Veteran
Imo one of the most urgent problems that needs to be solved is the assortment of maps in general and the distribution in particular.

First of all : Several maps still don´t work properly and I simply don´t understand why Taleworld stubbornly clutches to them. Either get them running without causing trouble or remove them from the pool just for now.

The mountainpass map STILL let your cav spawn up on the cliffs and let the horses take almost inevitable injuries right from the beginning.

Each map that contains watercourses causes massive performance problems from the moment on when one of the armies retreats. The bigger the battle is, the bigger the problems are. I sometimes get frames from 10 fpm... no, its not a mistyping, I REALLY talk about frames per MINUTE! Sometimes the game even freezes completely.

Secondly : I still want to believe that picking the place of battle is something that I CAN bias and that the terrain thats shown on the campaign map has SOMETHING to do with the pool of battle terrains the game offers me but as a matter of fact, thats an illusion because it´s STILL almost random on what terrain the battle finally takes place. Reliable explenations are the steppes and the desert.

If i want random maps for battles, i play world of tanks FFS! But a game that simulates CAMPAIGNS and tactical and strategical elements (which i believe Bannerlord wants to stand for) should include one of the most important features of warfare : The choice of terrain you want to fight the enemy.

I never read about Napoleon or Alexander the Great losing a battle because when the sun raise they realized : "Oh, thats really bad luck. This canyon we are cuddled together wasn´t supposed to be here and doesn´t come in handy at all to play out our strenghts."
On the other hand, Leonidas COULD believe that the Thermopylae reliably stay where they belong and were not replaced by f*cking woods on tuesdays, fridays and sundays!!!

The game gives you the theoretical opportunity to lure or hunt enemy parties and armies to a place you prefer (or believe to prefer, according to the terrain the campaign map leads you to believe). Sometimes it doesn´t work out, especially when you are to slow. If the enemy can catch up and challenge me in a location HE defines... well, fine then. Thats something i have to work with and that I can accept.

But when I´m the one who set time and place and the campaign map says "no woods", then I FFS don´t want to fight on ENDOR!!!

I´m sure there are people out there, who like your forrest maps. Fine. Let them choose their battles there. But give me who HATES woods at least a chance to avoid them and don´t keep harrassing me with your stupid RNG.

Edit : Sorry for my harsh words, I got taken away a bit. I know, this is more a rant, than a bug-report. Feel free to move this thread.

I agree, but this is not by any means game breaking, they have a whole load of massive problems to solve well before this
Mhh... it depends... at the moment in my savegame its winter and I´m at war with Khuzait. When you really have no fun at all, fighting Khuzaits in snowy woods (a complete clusterf*ck where you cant see sh*t) but the game forces you to do so (allthough you are seeking for open terrain all the time) it´s almost gamebreaking. At least when this problem comes along with others, like the omnipresent danger of losing companions even in battles you win by landslide victories.

It happens consistently that i reload every battle up to 5 or 6 times because either the game gives me terrain that i simply don´t want to accept, or a terrain that simply doesn´t work because my cav gets crippled right at the beginning because they fall from a cliff or the game simply freezes right at the moment the enemy retreats, or finally, when an almost perfect battle is won, one of my companions died.

This is not challenging, it´s simply annoying and for me it´s almost gamebreaking.

you know you can reroll every fight right ? hold tab press middle mouse button click retreat, fight them again you will have a brand new map... Just so you know.

you know you can reroll every fight right ? hold tab press middle mouse button click retreat, fight them again you will have a brand new map... Just so you know.
Never tried that, because I thought it wont work without losses. But just press Escape and reload has pretty much the same effect. I will give it a try though, maybe it´s a bit faster. (I will have to do it right at the beginning, I guess?).

I wish I would get a reliable hint of what terrain will come in the dialogue-screen right before battle, but the background terrain in that screen also means absolutely nothing.

i understand your pain dude and yes right at the start just hold tab and press the mouse wheel then retreat, and you can just fight again stright away and get a brand new map.... enjoy

i understand your pain dude and yes right at the start just hold tab and press the mouse wheel then retreat, and you can just fight again stright away and get a brand new map.... enjoy
Thanks, man. Tried it out and it makes things a LOT easier! :grin:

Should have tried it way earlier but for some reason i was sure it MUST have negative consequences to retreat from battle, although I occasionally retreat in hideouts when i take early losses and that has neither bad consequences.^^

[...]

If i want random maps for battles, i play world of tanks FFS! But a game that simulates CAMPAIGNS and tactical and strategical elements (which i believe Bannerlord wants to stand for) should include one of the most important features of warfare : The choice of terrain you want to fight the enemy.

[...]
It is a planned feature : BATTLE TERRAIN SYSTEM / Development update #7

Back
Top Bottom