Need More Info [1.5.6 beta and 1.5.7 beta and 1.5.7 stable and 1.5.8 beta] Ranged not shooting at moving targets sometimes... why? (videos)

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

They just let 40 HA ride in front them, but as you can see 1 guy in that massive ranged unit is trying to shoot, so it's not a hold fire mishap!
This happens maybe 1/4 of the time. I've reported similar thing in past versions and I don't know if they get fixed and un-fixed, or just ignored.
This is not okay, they must fire 100% consistently on all maps. I suspect some terrain causes a problem as it happens more on 'busy' maps.
Failing to shoot down The HA formation can get you BTFO on the spot and have to reset the game!

Putting them on hold fire and then back to fire at will does make then shoot normally, but this is very annoying to have to do and I have to tend to other things or I lose other troops....
Also the new toggle is much worse then just pressing f4 to hold fire of and on. This was really really bad choice to change it make it more things to press.
Also, if anyone has any other ideas I'd like to hear them. Could it be a memory issue sometime effecting the AI? The enemy seems fine though.....

Last edited:
I hope you fix this asap, I have to re-set the game over and over because of the AI being garbage again.
People already hate fighting the Khuzaits, not the ranged units ignore them half the time.
*Sorry for being grumpy Monchug was making me work extra hard today*
I feel like it may be related to the green summery maps as I didn't see it happen in the snowy battle fields. It could also be related to the loose formation as they seem to strangely not get stuck (so far) when I move them in their default.

Last edited:
Can you provide any video capture of this happening?
These aren't the best examples but they show it a bit. It's just a strange slowness to shoot at horse archers then I see in about 1/4 battles against them. They are all to eager to fire on any other approaching unit.

This one they just don't hoot and then they melee....

This one they hesitate and only fire as the HA pull back, but it could be (and often is) a blow out if they would have just fired on sight. Failing to fire on the HA formation on the first attack makes the fight last about twice as long.

This one just look at how few are shooting compared to how many are lined up. It's like 1/10 or less. And you know if it was 1 guy with a stick running up they would all be shooting away. It's something weird versus the HA.

https://imgur.com/uSq8WRd

Can you provide any video capture of this happening?
Here's a couple more from 1.5.7 beta. They just take way too long to get shooting at the approaching HA formation. There's no reason that formation should make it out of that alive. I feel like ranged was better at hitting moving targets some versions ago and maybe this was done on purpose, maybe to make Cavalry not appear so weak? These are powerful ranged units, they will happily shoot at ground formations 10X further away, there's no reason for them to slack off against HA and Cav.

Here's one from un-modded 1.5.8 beta

Well over 100 good ranged units in the perfect position to shoot down the enemy HA formation.... but they don't and let the HA dance all around right in front of them before they eventually begin shooting!

I have been informed that this issue is fixed on our development branch and the fix will be implemented with the upcoming patches. Thanks for reporting!

Back
Top Bottom