1.5.5 is not ready, take it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dear TW, I am writing to you this Christmas day to tell you to take down 1.5.5 Multiplayer and revert back to 1.5.4 until it is ready. The bugs are the worst we have ever seen the game state in (constant crashing) not a single game I have played has every player made it from start to finish without a player disconnecting in captain. Currently in captain mode formations are useless, square formation in particular is not working at all and instead gives your whole unit the slow bug until you go back to line formation, shield wall is also the same. While I can see some great improvements to both archers in general and the AI of cavalry which are 2 very good things that the game needed, I am also going to complain about the new command list.... ever heard the saying ''if something isn't broke, then don't try fix it''? the command menu with the f keys is something the captain community has been learning, experiencing and using for the last 9 months. It was perfect, and now we are having to relearn it with more key inputs?? Hold fire was F4, now it's F2 + F1? I dislike the new command system, really wasn't something that needed changing at all. Please listen to me and revert back to 1.5.4 until the New Year. People are already threatening to quit captain mode for good now, the game is in an unplayable state at this moment in time. We have been patient until now for 1.5.5 so what's another couple months if that's what it takes? Please take down 1.5.5 this is my honest advice, from someone who really doesn't want to see Calradia burn to the ground
yours truly, MJ

Last edited:
"Oh you want to make a shield wall? Jokes on you, it just makes your soldiers stop fiering :smile:" I personally don't experience any more game crashes than usual, so basically none, but the new command system is really bad! It was build up perfectly fine the way it was! But the worst problem in bannerlord multiplayer is by far the slow motion running! Sometimes when you get killed and take control over a new soldier, you and your whole army runs in slow motion. My whole armie was once whiped out because the enemy archers could just slowly go behind our back, long befor we can reach them. Also it makes capturing flags, which is absolutely essentiell for captain mode, really hard. Moral will run out way before you can reach them.

I also have frequent crashes, I do not understand what it depends on. Yesterday I didn't have it and today I had a crash again at the winning game 2:0 on the same map that I have in the screenshot in the report. Almost in the same place, near B.

As for the rest, need to return the directional arrow and flags, fix the riding speed and i agree that F4 for Hold fire was more comfortable to use, you could literally stop fire with a single binded button.

The last days i have also seen more crashs then before. Lots of disconnecting when Searching for game in a stack.
Several Server disconnections on Siege EU, game crashs in Captain and also the 7.th player glitch.And one game crash on duel server when i tried to switch teams.

Id rather take crashes then crushed through tbh if they were concerned about bugs and game braking problems this would not have been announced back in 2012 when the world was ending

Frequent crashes effecting every player in the ruins desert map in captain.

The shield wall slowdown would be ok if it only effected units with large shields. Smaller shield should have less slow down (but still some) and no shield unit with no slow down at all. No matter the formation.

The crashing will drive players away. I like the shield wall slow down, I think once people learn to cycle through line formation and shield wall as they charge the enemy we will see some interesting fights.

Look forward to fighting again mex!

Frequent crashes effecting every player in the ruins desert map in captain.

The shield wall slowdown would be ok if it only effected units with large shields. Smaller shield should have less slow down (but still some) and no shield unit with no slow down at all. No matter the formation.

The crashing will drive players away. I like the shield wall slow down, I think once people learn to cycle through line formation and shield wall as they charge the enemy we will see some interesting fights.

Look forward to fighting again mex!
I seriously just don’t understand how anyone likes the formation slow downs. I thought they were fine as is, with maybe a small shield wall slowdown needed but what they did is overkill. Curious, do you actually play as shields regularly? I’ve tried with this patch and I about popped a blood vessel. It’s almost impossible to push in shield wall without the aid of cav distracting because of how slow it is; forget it if there are multiple archers. At that point I’d rather just go 2 handers in loose formation and try my luck.

If they make lighter shield units go faster, then what’s the point of going heavy shield infantry? They’ll lose to 2 handers(especially since they don’t have throwables now), and can never catch archers. Most 2 handers and skirmishers/light shields can bring spears to wield off cav, so at that point heavy shield infantry is useless.

I seriously just don’t understand how anyone likes the formation slow downs. I thought they were fine as is, with maybe a small shield wall slowdown needed but what they did is overkill. Curious, do you actually play as shields regularly? I’ve tried with this patch and I about popped a blood vessel. It’s almost impossible to push in shield wall without the aid of cav distracting because of how slow it is; forget it if there are multiple archers. At that point I’d rather just go 2 handers in loose formation and try my luck.

If they make lighter shield units go faster, then what’s the point of going heavy shield infantry? They’ll lose to 2 handers(especially since they don’t have throwables now), and can never catch archers. Most 2 handers and skirmishers/light shields can bring spears to wield off cav, so at that point heavy shield infantry is useless.
Sorry, I didn't make that part clear enough, I think they have gone too far with the shield wall slow down, but I like the concept. From a dev response to an earlier thread about it, I know they have already said the slow down is to much, so I am sure they will tune it better soon. But I like the concept, I like opening up Archer strategies a bit more to be a little harder to counter.

I play with shields regularly and have had success with the following in 1.5.5... charging in line formation, walling up during the charge, weather some arrows while we push a little further in slow speed then push a little more in line formation. You take some arrows but still don't lose men hardly. The arrows soften you a little but I think that is more than fair.

Obviously as soon as the archers turn their back on the advancing army to retreat, shields go straight into line formation and capitalize on the opportunity to make up ground.

The exciting thing I see with this is, archers can now use a stagard setup, with one unit further behind so as one Archer retreats from incoming shields, the other archers unit further back continues to fire making it more dangerous for the Shields to continue their charge in line formation.

It's all about risk and rewards... Obviously I would say have one cavalry units in your team and then they can lead the charge into archers, lock them down to stop them firing and get your shield units close to a without having to change formation at all. Running all infantry has its drawback now, and that drawback is archers. I'm a fan of forcing strategies to require more than just one thought... Which pre 1.5.5 was just, rush rush rush once you had the infantry advantage

Sorry, I didn't make that part clear enough, I think they have gone too far with the shield wall slow down, but I like the concept. From a dev response to an earlier thread about it, I know they have already said the slow down is to much, so I am sure they will tune it better soon. But I like the concept, I like opening up Archer strategies a bit more to be a little harder to counter.

I play with shields regularly and have had success with the following in 1.5.5... charging in line formation, walling up during the charge, weather some arrows while we push a little further in slow speed then push a little more in line formation. You take some arrows but still don't lose men hardly. The arrows soften you a little but I think that is more than fair.

Obviously as soon as the archers turn their back on the advancing army to retreat, shields go straight into line formation and capitalize on the opportunity to make up ground.

The exciting thing I see with this is, archers can now use a stagard setup, with one unit further behind so as one Archer retreats from incoming shields, the other archers unit further back continues to fire making it more dangerous for the Shields to continue their charge in line formation.

It's all about risk and rewards... Obviously I would say have one cavalry units in your team and then they can lead the charge into archers, lock them down to stop them firing and get your shield units close to a without having to change formation at all. Running all infantry has its drawback now, and that drawback is archers. I'm a fan of forcing strategies to require more than just one thought... Which pre 1.5.5 was just, rush rush rush once you had the infantry advantage
Thanks for clarifying.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m really enjoying playing as cav and especially archers, which are more viable options now. It’s refreshing to have a break from the infantry spam meta.

I’m glad they’re going to relook at the shield wall formation speed. I’m fine with it being slower, but the current speed is atrocious. I don’t usually main infantry, and still find it ridiculous.

Ive been getting Ruins of Jawwali (big sand map) a lot lately, so I mostly had that in mind when I responded earlier. On that map, it’s just so open and the range is so far shields have a very hard time pushing. The method you refer to is shield’s best option, but if they have multiple archers you are just asking to get shredded, which isn’t even counting the enemy infantry you’ll likely to have to contend with as you move in. Of course, you have your own teammates, but it’d have to be a very coordinated push where you’re all in line, otherwise the guy leading gets absolutely destroyed.

The super slow shield wall advance also leaves what feels like an eternity for enemy cav captains to come and mess with your infantry (and I tend to be on the other side of this, where I’m harassing the advancing unit).

Hopefully this will all be rectified with the devs readjusting the speeds to a finer balance. I agree with the concept that it allows archers more strategies while making infantry have to think for once instead of blind rushing.

Thanks for clarifying.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m really enjoying playing as cav and especially archers, which are more viable options now. It’s refreshing to have a break from the infantry spam meta.

I’m glad they’re going to relook at the shield wall formation speed. I’m fine with it being slower, but the current speed is atrocious. I don’t usually main infantry, and still find it ridiculous.

Ive been getting Ruins of Jawwali (big sand map) a lot lately, so I mostly had that in mind when I responded earlier. On that map, it’s just so open and the range is so far shields have a very hard time pushing. The method you refer to is shield’s best option, but if they have multiple archers you are just asking to get shredded, which isn’t even counting the enemy infantry you’ll likely to have to contend with as you move in. Of course, you have your own teammates, but it’d have to be a very coordinated push where you’re all in line, otherwise the guy leading gets absolutely destroyed.

The super slow shield wall advance also leaves what feels like an eternity for enemy cav captains to come and mess with your infantry (and I tend to be on the other side of this, where I’m harassing the advancing unit).

Hopefully this will all be rectified with the devs readjusting the speeds to a finer balance. I agree with the concept that it allows archers more strategies while making infantry have to think for once instead of blind rushing.
All those things you mentioned are absolutely right, but they are all things that a balanced army makeup can deal with IF (BIG IF) the army is working together! Where as an all infantry army may not be able to without being severely weakened.

My personal opinion about what is going to have to happen in the game (personal opinion, i know people disagree) is that Cavalry need to start to recognise their strategic advantages as being more important than their ability to snipe enemies on their own while parking all their horses. Charging into archers with a unit of cavalry, who is focused to actually being there at the right moment to shut down the archers (as the infantry advance on those archers) is worth WAY more than sniping 20 random dudes in a match. Especially if while sniping 20 random dudes his whole army had arrows raining on them while they advanced, because their cavalry was playing solo. (rant over)

PS. I love that desert map because its so often where we end up having a balanced army fight! We have cav and archers regularly mixed in with Inf, we have terrain height advantages and enough houses and ruins to hunker down at A/B and pressure the archers with morale. I really think that map showcases all of Captains potential. Yes that charge at C is brutal in shield wall, i look forward to a speed tweak, BUT at the same time, that strategy will only be forced on you when you have C as the final flag, No cav, maybe consider no charge at C, until you have to.

All those things you mentioned are absolutely right, but they are all things that a balanced army makeup can deal with IF (BIG IF) the army is working together! Where as an all infantry army may not be able to without being severely weakened.

My personal opinion about what is going to have to happen in the game (personal opinion, i know people disagree) is that Cavalry need to start to recognise their strategic advantages as being more important than their ability to snipe enemies on their own while parking all their horses. Charging into archers with a unit of cavalry, who is focused to actually being there at the right moment to shut down the archers (as the infantry advance on those archers) is worth WAY more than sniping 20 random dudes in a match. Especially if while sniping 20 random dudes his whole army had arrows raining on them while they advanced, because their cavalry was playing solo. (rant over)

PS. I love that desert map because its so often where we end up having a balanced army fight! We have cav and archers regularly mixed in with Inf, we have terrain height advantages and enough houses and ruins to hunker down at A/B and pressure the archers with morale. I really think that map showcases all of Captains potential. Yes that charge at C is brutal in shield wall, i look forward to a speed tweak, BUT at the same time, that strategy will only be forced on you when you have C as the final flag, No cav, maybe consider no charge at C, until you have to.
I love playing archers and cav, and that map is really where they shine. Generally people bring cavalry on that map anyways, I just don’t like the idea that you have to have cav to counter archers to be effective. When you’re playing with randoms, you may have cav but there are times they’re preoccupied somewhere else. Getting more effective with cav and as a team in general just comes with experience, but it’s also the luck of the draw with the teammates you get matched up with.

Again, it’s been an infantry spam meta for such a long time that this patch is refreshing. Diversified armies are more common now, which tend to make for a much more fun match. I’ve definitely had some of my most favorite/exciting matches on the sand map. I just don’t like that it’s pretty much necessary now to have at least one cav unit. Shield wall and the other formations are just too slow to really be effective as is, and it’s such a drastic change from before. I hope the devs can find that perfect balance.

I like to think of myself as well rounded since I tend to play all classes, generally changing to whatever I think would benefit the team best. As of now, I just can’t stomach going shields. It’s too frustrating.

-TheMacedonianWarrior

Last edited:
the crashing in lobby is ridiculous atm, a few players are dropping out of stacks repeatedly before we get into game. We just played a game and are about to win 3-0 and the whole server crashes.

As i skirmish player i found this new patch amazing and step ahead in right direction . Cant comment on captain mode as it is uninteresting and boring for me , but i can agree that crashes are somethinf often i see on this patch

As i skirmish player i found this new patch amazing and step ahead in right direction . Cant comment on captain mode as it is uninteresting and boring for me , but i can agree that crashes are somethinf often i see on this patch
I cant fully aggree this. They did crosbows overpowered and nerfed bows. You can kill with crossbow even if you are flying. Otherwise infantries and cavarlys pretty good.

And server problems happens. Most importand thing is my arrows are passing through of my opponents and not hitting. This wasnt exist before and its relevant with servers i suppose.

The movement bug is awful this patch. Also the infantry changes to shield wall and square are really bad. Now units with no shield also move slower in square formation. The hotkey changes also a step backwards, to give a new facing command I first have to tell my units to face the enemy, then give a new command.

Sorry to necro this, but I wanted to add another comment about shield wall. It has been slowed down and I still agree a bit to much... However has anyone noticed how incredibly powerful it is (if your positioning is right) my Khans launched tons of arrows into an aserai shields unit with standard (not large) shields and they almost all hit the shields...I don't think even 1 got through. This didn't bother me, I was just keeping him busy while we killed his friends... But I was amazed at how much protection it provided. I loved it to be honest, even though it didn't help me, I thought I'd they buffed it's blocking capability and reduced speed of units... That is a pretty fair trade off.

Another fight saw me and another player get lured into a fight with shields (aserai again) a full unit of Lego's and a full unit of menvs went at the shields front on, he stayed put in wall formation and it took a long time to start actually taking kills... The wall held up amazingly... It was my fault for not taking my troops around him to attack which would have ended him quickly... But we were panicking at that point and I wasn't thinking straight ... But still, it was a brutally strong shield wall... I was super impressed.

Can anyone confirm if they have buffed up the defensive capabilities in exchange for the speed reduction?

Back
Top Bottom