1.5.3 RIP Horse archers

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah which makes them unusable in Captains mode. And anyone I play against who takes horse archer gets destroyed in Captains mode ai and player.

Because the AI is poor, not because the class is weak. Balancing classes based on captains mode is a bad idea, as multiplayer is mainly a PvP game, not PvE. The game needs to separate modes and balance accordingly. 2 handers, horse archers, archery, cavalry, were all massively overpowered in PvP, which is why they were nerfed.
Are you under the impression Captains mode is pve?

People that don't play Captain don't understand that it is most certainly not PVE just like people that don't play Skirmish don't understand it is most certainly not just 1v1. All Captain mode players want is for the modes to be balanced separately, which I'm sure skirm players would benefit from too. The problem is that the modes have not been separately balanced and changes made to benefit Skirmish have invariably damaged Captain mode. If/when TW accomplishes this the multiplayer will be great.

Are you under the impression Captains mode is pve?
You are one player, controlling 7+ bots. Bots heavily outnumber players, therefore I call it PvE. Most of the time you're also fighting the AI, not the players. Its not an insult or anything, I'm just saying AI matters alot more for Captains mode than combat mechanics, which is why Skirmish players were asked to test the combat.

Anyway we're off topic, this is about horse archers.

There have been a lot of talk about archer being to OP before the 1.5 update, I agree with that statement. But archers need to be mega OP at a distance, because they are so weak and really suck in melee vs melee classes. After 1.5 the only archer class left half decent is horse archers. And now they are broken too. With no archers left working TW have really made a step in the wrong direction balance wise. TW should never have messed with the archers in the first place, they were fine as they were.....

You are one player, controlling 7+ bots. Bots heavily outnumber players, therefore I call it PvE. Most of the time you're also fighting the AI, not the players. Its not an insult or anything, I'm just saying AI matters alot more for Captains mode than combat mechanics, which is why Skirmish players were asked to test the combat.

Anyway we're off topic, this is about horse archers.
You don't play Captains mode enough, this game is not a 1v1 game, even in single player all the combat is not focused on arena play, the majority of combat in this game is large scale battles which Captains mode represents. Now I know some of you skirmish players don't think skirmish is a 1v1 game and that's fine it's my opinion just like Captains mode is PVE is your opinion which I don't agree with.

Captains is at least a mix of PvE.

"PvE is a term used ... to refer to fighting computer-controlled enemies - in contrast to PvP (player versus player) ... Usually a PvE mode can be played alone, with human companions or with AI companions."

Although, matches in Captains can come down to pure PvP scenarios (they did even before the 1.5 patch), so it is true that it can turn into 1v1 sometimes just like any other mode.

Captains is at least a mix of PvE.

"PvE is a term used ... to refer to fighting computer-controlled enemies - in contrast to PvP (player versus player) ... Usually a PvE mode can be played alone, with human companions or with AI companions."

Although, matches in Captains can come down to pure PvP scenarios (they did even before the 1.5 patch), so it is true that it can turn into 1v1 sometimes just like any other mode.
At least a mix yes. The player still has command of ai and it is player vs player. What if captain's mode only gave 3 ai? Would you still think it's a pve mode? And in most cases during battles players are fighting other players to prevent them from killing or distracting their ai.

Agreed. Horse archers now suck. Archers suck. Spam shock infantry and win.

Maybe just make a separate balance for each multiplayer mode? ?Because at this rate you aren't pleasing anyone and just upsetting everyone.

Sad to read that archers and skirmishers are now useless in MP, because they feel finally balanced in SP now (they were pretty much broken before and insanely OP). I am concerned about the fixes which TW will implement to balance archers and skirmishers because these changes will probably means that Archers will be OP and broken again in SP.

I am reading people complaining here about archers fire rate is “slow”, when I actually find them pretty fast.

I just hope that devs find a way to balance the game without breaking other game modes or just make some adjustements to separate game modes in terms of balancing.

In SP horse archers are still insanely good and effective while foot area are pretty good balanced finally.

BTW, shock infantry being OP should not be a reason to buff archers. If Shock infantry is OP, just nerf shock infantry. Shock infantry should not be as excessively superior as it is in melee compared to shielded units.

Last edited:
Sad to read that archers and skirmishers are now useless in MP, because they feel finally balanced in SP now (they were pretty much broken before and insanely OP). I am concerned about the fixes which TW will implement to balance archers and skirmishers because these changes will probably means that Archers will be OP and broken again in SP.

I am reading people complaining here about archers fire rate is “slow”, when I actually find them pretty fast.

I just hope that devs find a way to balance the game without breaking other game modes or just make some adjustements to separate game modes in terms of balancing.

In SP horse archers are still insanely good and effective while foot area are pretty good balanced finally.

BTW, shock infantry being OP should not be a reason to buff archers. If Shock infantry is OP, just nerf shock infantry. Shock infantry should not be as excessively superior as it is in melee compared to shielded units.

The archer Ai does not know how to use the new aiming system that was added in 1.5, therefor making archers miss 80% of the shots they fire, which is not balanced and is indeed broken and in need of a fix.

The archer Ai does not know how to use the new aiming system that was added in 1.5, therefor making archers miss 80% of the shots they fire, which is not balanced and is indeed broken and in need of a fix.

The thing is that in SP it is balanced and archers are still deadly and more effective than crossbowmen, probably because missing shoots against a huge mass is not as noticeable. The thing is that while is has been a noticeable and possitive nerf in SP, after testing it is true that the AI is missing a lot of shoots now. So maybe after fixing the aiming, Archers should take some other nerfs.

Last edited:
In SP it is balanced and archers are still deadly and more effective than Crossbowmen. The thing is that it does not change much if the AI miss agains a huge mass of men. So maybe after fixing the aiming, Archers should take some other nerfs.

There's a reason that ranged weapons (Guns) are used today rather than melee weapons. Ranged weapons allow you to kill effectively from a safe distance. Archers were always a vital part of any battle, and SHOULD be really powerful, almost overwhelmingly so. 80% missed shots is not balanced whatsoever, its broken.

The big issue with the Singleplayer Campaign is the enemy Commander Ai is limited to a list of 8 tactics it can use depending on the tactics level of the Ai commander, while the player has no such limit on tactical decision making. This means the Ai doesn't have the ability to make smart decisions that could counter the effectiveness of archers like putting it's shield units in shield wall and hiding the shock troops behind the shield units like a normal human commander would do, which makes your archers seem really really overpowered when they are able to mow down the enemy line as they blindly charge at you. This isn't the fault of the archer's its the fault of the stupid commander ai that doesn't know its butt from a hole in the wall. Another issue that makes archers seem overly powerful is the lack of heavy plate armor that has the potential to block and absorb most of the impact of an arrow. The technology of the time period simply wasn't ready to handle the onslaught of ranged weaponry.

The AI is actually pretty decent in battles and it uses shield wall almost every time. The problem is that there are plenty of unshielded units which got decimated by archers in no time and battles were ridiculous easy before this bug.

Even with the current broken state, my archers are one of the units with highest Kills in every battle. Before this bug my archers were getting 80-100% or more of kills in every battle, even when they represented 30-40% of my total army, so this bug has been pretty welcome for me.

I do agree with missing 80% of shots are not a good thing but same for archers getting tons of kills in SP and making the game ridiculous easy. I just hope that devs do not break SP again bringing back ultra OP archers, and find a good solution for everyone.

The AI is actually pretty decent in battles and it uses shield wall almost every time. The problem is that there are plenty of unshielded units which got decimated by archers in no time and battles were ridiculous easy before this bug.

Even with the current broken state, my archers are one of the units with highest Kills in every battle. Before this bug my archers were getting 80-100% or more of kills in every battle, even when they represented 30-40% of my total army, so this bug has been pretty welcome for me.

I do agree with missing 80% of shots are not a good thing but same for archers getting tons of kills in SP and making the game ridiculous easy. I just hope that devs do not break SP again bringing back ultra OP archers, and find a good solution for everyone.
I've played a lot of single player and every time my infantry charged the unshielded units were running in front of shields or with shields. Btw shock is faster too especially when shielded units are in shield wall running so they get mowed down by archers. Archers are broken they need to return to what they were. In SP if you want to counter archer ai just do a cav charge. I never thought archers were op in single player.

I've played a lot of single player and every time my infantry charged the unshielded units were running in front of shields or with shields. Btw shock is faster too especially when shielded units are in shield wall running so they get mowed down by archers. Archers are broken they need to return to what they were. In SP if you want to counter archer ai just do a cav charge. I never thought archers were op in single player.

I had not issues to deal with archers under AI command. My problem was related to my own archers decimating the enemy in now time and making the game not challenging at all (despite of just having 50 archers of a 150 army).

Back
Top Bottom