1.5.3 RIP Horse archers

Users who are viewing this thread

Weren't you guys whining about horse archers being too OP just lately?
Now I'm gonna be straight, they WERE op before 1.5, they were kinda nerfed with 1.5 but still were strong. Basically Khuzait kinda revolved around the idea of horse archers and give a skilled player horse archer and he will carry your team. And to be honest Khuzait is the worst faction in the game right now, no heavy infantry(you can't call spearman heavy can you), no shock infantry, bad heavy cavalry(worst in that category). Horse archers were a unique addition to the faction and a unit that had comparable strength to other units. Horse archer is designed to be annoying and it should be, hard counter to horse archers should be your archers, especially xbows but instead they nerfed horse archer and took away the only strong unit in Khuzait.
Now they're "mobile archers", shooting on the move is rng now.

And to be honest Khuzait is the worst faction in the game right now, no heavy infantry(you can't call spearman heavy can you), no shock infantry, bad heavy cavalry(worst in that category)

I feel like if they just buffed light cav Khuzait would be a lot more viable (and it would be more in spirit with the faction's historical inspirations i.e. Seljuks, Mongols, Central Asian horse nomads).

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones.

I feel like if they just buffed light cav Khuzait would be a lot more viable (and it would be more in spirit with the faction's historical inspirations i.e. Seljuks, Mongols, Central Asian horse nomads).

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones.
Give nomad long spear+shield instead of trading long spear for shield and give it +5 armor and it will be worth mentioning. What holding nomad from being one of the strongest light cavalry is its weapons.

Give nomad long spear+shield instead of trading long spear for shield and give it +5 armor and it will be worth mentioning. What holding nomad from being one of the strongest light cavalry is its weapons.

That's right, nomad should have access to a good spear + shield combo, or maybe even a lance + shield. Some added armor to the horse or rider would be nice too.

Khuzait should have the best light cav in the game.

Now I'm gonna be straight, they WERE op before 1.5, they were kinda nerfed with 1.5 but still were strong. Basically Khuzait kinda revolved around the idea of horse archers and give a skilled player horse archer and he will carry your team. And to be honest Khuzait is the worst faction in the game right now, no heavy infantry(you can't call spearman heavy can you), no shock infantry, bad heavy cavalry(worst in that category). Horse archers were a unique addition to the faction and a unit that had comparable strength to other units. Horse archer is designed to be annoying and it should be, hard counter to horse archers should be your archers, especially xbows but instead they nerfed horse archer and took away the only strong unit in Khuzait.
Now they're "mobile archers", shooting on the move is rng now.
What game mode are you talking about?
In captain Lancer is the best cavalry.Because the cavalry AI does not know how to use spears. And the lancers have a glaive with which they destroy everything. In addition, until recently, they could effectively shoot from a bow.

"Mobile archesr" is a very apt term)

Last edited:
What game mode are you talking about?
"Mobile archesr" is a very apt term)
I most of the time play skirmish so I give my opinion based on skirmish, if you play captain or anyone else I would be glad to hear you guys opinion.
"Mobile archer" with I mean its basically a foot archer on a horse back now, nothing special. Khuzait horse archer is SUPPOSED to be superior to foot archers on firing whilst moving that are not specifically trained for horse archery ride on horse back or others(heavy cav with bow). Horse archers should be able to shoot whilst moving accurately, a difference from the others. This was never achieved in this game. I mean if you know history then you should know that Turkic and Mongol horse archers were pretty accurate on horse back and was used to harass the enemy by riding around them and shooting and make them follow them so they could lure them into an ambush.
What I mean by mobile archer is that they need to be standing still to shoot now. Maybe not the best term to describe it but that was what I could think of at that moment.

Last edited:
I most of the time play skirmish so I give my opinion based on skirmish, if you play captain or anyone else I would be glad to hear you guys opinion.
"Mobile archer" with I mean its basically a foot archer on a horse back now, nothing special. Khuzait horse archer is SUPPOSED to be superior to foot archers on horse back or others(heavy cav with bow). Horse archers should be able to shoot whilst moving accurately, a difference from the others. This was never achieved in this game. I mean if you know history then you should know that Turkic and Mongol horse archers were pretty accurate on horse back and was used to harass the enemy by riding around them and shooting and make them follow them so they could lure them into an ambush.
What I mean by mobile archer is that they need to be standing still to shoot now. Maybe not the best term to describe it but that was what I could think of at that moment.
Maybe I used the wrong words, I totally agree with you.

I think its a good nerf. Horse archers are super annoying. One good horse archer player can destroy an entire skirmish team. I suggest buffing other khuzait units and keeping horse archers exactly where they are.

I think its a good nerf. Horse archers are super annoying. One good horse archer player can destroy an entire skirmish team. I suggest buffing other khuzait units and keeping horse archers exactly where they are.
Don't get me wrong, horse archers needed a slight nerf because yes they are annoying and when you don't have a good archer you will lose, but this is not the way of doing that. Making them more RNG is just a bad way of this. Instead of RNG, they should've nerfed the bow drawing and shooting speed and reverted the crazy 50 arrows buff from them.

Don't get me wrong, horse archers needed a slight nerf because yes they are annoying and when you don't have a good archer you will lose, but this is not the way of doing that. Making them more RNG is just a bad way of this. Instead of RNG, they should've nerfed the bow drawing and shooting speed and reverted the crazy 50 arrows buff from them.
ye I guess I can agree on this. making the damage/shooting speed much slower might be better and allow other troops to actually have a good chance against them

Horse Archers are a HUGE risk to play, it is easy to get shot/dismounted and an easy target for cav so standing still is mostly not an option.

After the 1.5 patch the horse archer was good and somewhat OP, it could use some balancing but not much. I have carried quite a few times by riding through the infantry and just shoot headshot after headshot which is cancerous and thus the nerf a bit. Currently it is completely unviable.
Shooting while riding is doable but as your accuracy is so low you cannot shoot incoming cav which means you need to take out your weapon which makes the class way less useful, at full speed the bow is quite inaccurate which is fair I would say but even at lower speeds it still is very inaccurate which is my problem.

So what you currently need to do is basically stand still and take a shot which is the opposite of what the class is meant for (pure mobility). Pre 1.5.3 you could speed up and slow down continously because you still could get a good shot that way but now you have to stand still.

TLDR: Low speed riding should be more accurate as this is what the class is meant for, it is not a class that is meant for standing still.

Horse Archers are a HUGE risk to play, it is easy to get shot/dismounted and an easy target for cav so standing still is mostly not an option.

After the 1.5 patch the horse archer was good and somewhat OP, it could use some balancing but not much. I have carried quite a few times by riding through the infantry and just shoot headshot after headshot which is cancerous and thus the nerf a bit. Currently it is completely unviable.
Shooting while riding is doable but as your accuracy is so low you cannot shoot incoming cav which means you need to take out your weapon which makes the class way less useful, at full speed the bow is quite inaccurate which is fair I would say but even at lower speeds it still is very inaccurate which is my problem.

So what you currently need to do is basically stand still and take a shot which is the opposite of what the class is meant for (pure mobility). Pre 1.5.3 you could speed up and slow down continously because you still could get a good shot that way but now you have to stand still.

TLDR: Low speed riding should be more accurate as this is what the class is meant for, it is not a class that is meant for standing still.
The thing about riding by infantry and shooting, its risky as hell, most javelins and throwing weapons will oneshot a khuzait horsearcher if thrown at the incoming horse archer. Thats why i think you should be able to aim kind of ok even at full speed.
I have played it in Scrims, after 1.5 until now in a competitive environment horse archers are not op, can be used at times. It is more about public i guess, nobody wants to play against 4 horsearchers, if a team doesnt communicate it gets ripped to pieces by horse archers.

"Mobile archer" with I mean its basically a foot archer on a horse back now, nothing special. Khuzait horse archer is SUPPOSED to be superior to foot archers on horse back or others(heavy cav with bow). Horse archers should be able to shoot whilst moving accurately, a difference from the others. This was never achieved in this game. I mean if you know history then you should know that Turkic and Mongol horse archers were pretty accurate on horse back and was used to harass the enemy by riding around them and shooting and make them follow them so they could lure them into an ambush.
Horse archers were already pretty much what you're describing in captain mode. You would ride around, and stand them still to shoot at the enemy. The AIs aim has been terrible to begin with. The hard counter of course was cavalry, and it worked in it's own way in captain mode. Now that the same shooting mechanics are the same for cav as well as infantry, it's become impossible to use them as well as any other ranged unit. The devs forgot to teach the AI to shoot with the new combat parameters :smile:

If you make horse archers supoerior to archers on foot, they officially have no counters. Infantry cant touch them. Cavalry cant touch them, atleast not unless the horse archer screws up, and even if not, the cavalry will be shredded with arrows. The only counter is normal archers. Historical accuracy doesnt matter when people get frustrated and quit the game everytime khuzait is picked. This could be the most realistic medieval game in the history of mankind, and only 10 people would ever play it. I sure as hell wouldnt be.

If you make horse archers supoerior to archers on foot, they officially have no counters. Infantry cant touch them. Cavalry cant touch them, atleast not unless the horse archer screws up, and even if not, the cavalry will be shredded with arrows. The only counter is normal archers. Historical accuracy doesnt matter when people get frustrated and quit the game everytime khuzait is picked. This could be the most realistic medieval game in the history of mankind, and only 10 people would ever play it. I sure as hell wouldnt be.
With superior I meant firing whilst moving. Khuzait horse archers should be able to do that but not the others. Sorry about that lack of words in my post I'll fix it.

With superior I meant firing whilst moving. Khuzait horse archers should be able to do that but not the others. Sorry about that lack of words in my post I'll fix it.
Even if its contained to just khuzait horse archer, its still incredibly frustrating to fight against. They have to atleast up the cost of the class then. By alot

Back
Top Bottom