[1.5.1] Healing rate is slowed compared to previous version

Users who are viewing this thread

Started a new game in 1.5.1 no mods. The rate of healing for wounded players and troops is noticeably slower compared to previous versions. Was this change intentional or is this a bug?

It should not be the case as we increased the rate of healing for heroes, and it is the same for troops. We only decreased the healing rate provided by the settlements. (However, overall heal rate should be still higher and it depends more on skill rather than the base healing rate.)
What is your skill level in medicine?

It should not be the case as we increased the rate of healing for heroes, and it is the same for troops. We only decreased the healing rate provided by the settlements. (However, overall heal rate should be still higher and it depends more on skill rather than the base healing rate.)
It feels way too slow compared to previous versions. I don't know how much it takes exactly but I was watching a streamer playing bannerlord yesterday and it was taking too long for him too. In this link you can see how much it takes to heal. I timed the video to where he dies so you will see it clearly.
Twitch Stream Link

My surgeon has around 60 medicine. Maybe the change to skill instead of base is the reason for the discrepancy. And yes healing in settlements is noticible slower. Just making sure its working as intended.

d not be the case as we increased the rate of healing for heroes, and it is the same for troops. We only decreased the healing rate provided by the settlements. (However, overall heal rate should be still higher and it depends more on skill rather than the base healing rate.)

Villages are currently not giving any bonus to healing at all.
Cities are giving +10

You need to clarify this, was the effect of healing skill increased? I have not gotten a good healer in my 1.5.1 game yet, but the overall rate of healing for troops and heroes is very slow compared to previous versions. Personally I'm okay with troops healing being slower, but the effect of slowed player character, heroes and AI lords is very bad for the gameplay. Lords often go down in a single hit in tournaments because they have hard time every recovering very much. I suspect they now go through much of the game never fully recovering.

I would ask for an investigation and explanation of the healing in 1.5.1. Also if devs could keep in mind that the Medicine skill levels extremely slowly in general and that companions with the medicine skill are not guaranteed to spawn in the game.

Hello, I confirm, the overall rate of healing for troops and heroes in 1.5.1 is very slow compared to previous versions. Maybe a twice as slow.

Sorry for the late reply,
It took a while for me to figure out what's the cause.

In beta and live the healing calculated by the following:
5 + 5 x MedicineSkill x 0.001 (and + 10 if the hero is in settlement).
Here you can see that the effect of the medicine skill is quite low.

In the new design, the speed of healing calculated based on the formula however this is not yet in the beta-branch:
8 + 8 x MedicineSkill x 0.005 (and + 8 if the hero is in a settlement)
This means a 12 heal for 100 medicine hero. Which heals you in about 8 days (6.25 days if in settlement) from 0 health(which is rare)

However, in the beta, we did not change anything so the reason we had a decrease in healing was quite interesting.
In 1.4.3 we had a small bug, which made any fraction part of the given healing rate to double every hour and this led to high (but seemingly fine feeling) healing rates. Fixing this bug caused healing rates to plummet.

After the new formula goes into the beta we expect a more balanced experience.

Also, what do you think about being healed in ~6 days from 0 to 100 with a 100 Medicine character? Is this fast, is this slow?
Thank you for the feedback!

Last edited:

In the new design, the speed of healing calculated based on the formula however this is not yet in the beta-branch:

This means a 12 heal for 100 medicine hero. Which heals you in about 8 days (6.25 days if in settlement) from 0 health(which is rare)

However, in the beta, we did not change anything so the reason we had a decrease in healing was quite interesting.
In 1.4.3 we had a small bug, which made any fraction part of the given healing rate to double every hour and this led to high (but seemingly fine feeling) healing rates. Fixing this bug caused healing rates to plummet.

Also, what do you think about being healed in ~6 days from 0 to 8 with a 100 Medicine character? Is this fast, is this slow?
I think that's super slow and that's with a good surgeon. How much slower would it be without one? It means you need to sit out the game for a week every time you get KO'd or else constantly fight at low health and be forced to be super cautious all the time. That's not my idea of fun. It shouldn't take more than 3 days tops to heal up from 0.

Also, what do you think about being healed in ~6 days from 0 to 8 with a 100 Medicine character? Is this fast, is this slow?

It sounds like 6 days to a full heal is reasonable--I do ask that you consider how other elements of the game interact with the healing rate:

1. Melee characters (and infantry player characters) tend to take more damage, so I think it's critical for athletics and the melee attack skills to have perks that increase healing on the global map fairly early in the tree.

2. How quickly does the player's medicine level? At its current rate you would need to take thousands of causalities to hit 100 medicine. Medicine might as well not even be a skill that the game offers to the player. The process of leveling medicine needs a full overhaul.

3. Can you hard code the starting wanderers so that a 120 medicine companion is guaranteed? Otherwise the reasonable player will just chain restart until the game is offering a 120 medicine wanderer on day 1.

4. How many one-shot mechanics are in the game? Enemy throwing weapons and high-tier crossbowmen usually 1-shot the player. (Avoiding the phases of combat when enemies have throwing weapons often leads to the player having 0 impact on the outcome of the fight). Sitting in the sin bin for 6 days because you got hit by a sea raider's fish harpoon is anti-fun. Maybe solvable by a perk such as 'do not take damage from first projectile that hits player each combat'

5. How is the power balance between melee and ranged combat? Low healing rates push the player towards bows/crossbows.

6. How important are active/passive sources of income to the player's finances? If I'm at -2,500 gold/day then sitting in town and waiting to heal is a non-starter and I'm just tanking losses due to auto resolve. If I'm at +2,500 a day then I can rest in town and go grab a snack while my character heals.

7. How effective is armor? It feels a little bit under-tuned now. Maybe there just need to be perks that make armor better (specifically in the athletics and melee attack trees)

I think that's super slow and that's with a good surgeon. How much slower would it be without one? It means you need to sit out the game for a week every time you get KO'd or else constantly fight at low health and be forced to be super cautious all the time. That's not my idea of fun. It shouldn't take more than 3 days to heal up from 0.

I agree in principle just pointing to other balance items that still need to be reworked and hoping that the healing/damage feels 'right' once they are fixed. Taking 3 days to heal from a single looter rock hitting you is an oof. Looter rocks not doing 12 damage to a character in tier 5/6 armor would be nice

6 days is super slow, I am constantly under 50 life while waring with people. The healing has changed 4 times now, this is in another thread as well. The healing rate increased, then was brought down, then it got increased again and now it is back down again. for some reason it just won't stay constant

I agree in principle just pointing to other balance items that still need to be reworked and hoping that the healing/damage feels 'right' once they are fixed. Taking 3 days to heal from a single looter rock hitting you is an oof. Looter rocks not doing 12 damage to a character in tier 5/6 armor would be nice
yeah, you made a lot of good points in your post. Maybe a 6-day healing rate wouldn't be so bad if it was harder to get knocked out. Its strange to me that the devs think healing from 0 is a rare thing, though. I don't know about other players, but I get ko'd ALOT. I like playing aggressively and so many things can knock you out in one shot. Its a rare battle that I don't take at least 30-40 damage, and there's no First Aid skill to mitigate that, so it means I'm spending more time resting in towns than actually playing.

yeah, you made a lot of good points in your post. Maybe a 6-day healing rate wouldn't be so bad if it was harder to get knocked out. Its strange to me that the devs think healing from 0 is a rare thing, though. I don't know about other players, but I get ko'd ALOT. I like playing aggressively and so many things can knock you out in one shot. Its a rare battle that I don't take at least 30-40 damage, and there's no First Aid skill to mitigate that, so it means I'm spending more time resting in towns than actually playing.
But you shouldn't get knocked, haven't you figured it out yet....Warband you were a soldier, bannerlord you are meant to be a general and micro manage everything with no time to fight, atleast that is how I see it

But you shouldn't get knocked, haven't you figured it out yet....Warband you were a soldier, bannerlord you are meant to be a general and micro manage everything with no time to fight, atleast that is how I see it
Well, that's not the game I want to play. If I wanted to play as a general commanding my troops from a hilltop, I'd just play Total War instead.

A
Well, that's not the game I want to play. If I wanted to play as a general commanding my troops from a hilltop, I'd just play Total War instead.
I think he's being sarcastic but also making a valid point.

From a purely power gaming perspective the combat skills are generally weak, as none of the captain perks work on the player character and there's no mechanism for allied units to 'inherit' a percentage of your army leader's combat stats.

For me its fine that the combat skills are weak(exclude Athletics, damn powerfull right now). Otherwise I wouldn´t need my troops right? But the Game should not go that way that i just stand in the back and do micro manage. I just don t need a horse for only riding arround the enemy lines to disturb the AI...or a two hand axe for great cheering. I wanna use that stuff even if im not the God of War with it. In that point i totally agree with Lord Irontoe.

But i miss the point of this thread.
I think the healing rate should at least be increased when you are resting in towns so that you replenish in 3 days from 0 to 100.
Because:
1.You have to consider how fast the Map changes...(mostly to the positive for the khuzaits).
2. If you have a Income problem(as mentioned)
3. It significantly slows down you early game by just waiting
4. Tournaments will be a no go
5. Power decrease of Notables will occur more often since some Quest cant be solved with 0hp and by waiting the will tick down...
6. My big point... it gets boring when waiting 10 days without doing nothing
=>to 6:maybe the devs can change the game so that i can sit in the tavern with a beer and make a mini game session, while my character replenish health
7. Quests with a time limit will maybe a problem

+1

When I'm attacked from 3 kingdoms at once , no time for resting 4-5-6 days, I will lose during this time all my settlements. In my current game I have 3 clans fighting for my kingdom against 20 clans Khuzait. South Empire ,Aserai. Its not funny. All my prisoners return after 3 days with full army. At the moment for 3 days I barely reach 25-30% and I am with 160 medicine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom