[1.1.0 Beta] Low skill xp gain is too high now

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't want people to be confused, my point was not about loading an old save into the new patch and seeing these crazy numbers, I'm talking about the actual skill progression in a new campaign on this patch. Currently sitting at 92 bow and 125 riding at day 6 of the campaign. Any bow or horse is now potentially available to me.

I'm 60 polarm and riding after a couple RL hours of starting a new campaign in 1.1.0. I'm clan tier 1 and not yet to vassal clan tier so this feels just right. You get insane bonus to skill gain with long distance difficult shot so maybe this is why you have so much skill at day 6. Even in the old system horse archery was the quickest way to raise riding. Perhaps the skill gain from archery and difficult shots need to be toned down not the entire curve because raising melee feels like its in a good place

It looks like they reduced the amount of XP needed to reach each level, but you kept the cumulative XP you already earned on existing saves, thus the sudden jump in levels when it recalculates. I noticed after loading in that I needed huge negative amounts of XP to reach the next level, then got a bump as soon as I earned XP for that skill.

I don't think its too high now, if you have a lot of focus in the skill you should be able to get past low levels easily. when I try to level a skill that doesnt have focus it still takes a while to get to that low skill cap.

Ok, can we please discriminate between two cases:

1) Old saves. If you are using old saves in the new beta patch, you are going to see funky behavior. Some people report it being fine, but imo those people just had funky behavior and didn't notice. In that case, please do not come here reporting it as a bug. It's not a bug, it's a lack of compatibility. Let's not waste dev time on this.

2) New saves. I see a few people here reporting crazy high xp gains on a new save (namely the OP), which is strange to me because I have not observed that at all. The maximum increase I noticed is a scouting increase by 8 from 0, when spotting a hideout.

For 2), the only thing I can think of is that I have seen people report that data from different save games was mixing up (I can't recall which thread unfortunately). Do you still have old save games? Is this happening also when you start a new game after removing the old saves? (after backing them up somewhere else of course so that you don't lose them).

If yes, then it's a bug with the saving system that should probably be found sooner rather than later. If not, I got nothing. But in my experience the xp gain is very reasonable now.

I got a lot of combat skills very fast on a new save too. I dont think they needed to mess with the combat (including riding/athletics) skill gains, it was just some of the support skills had no good way/too slow to raise, they were lagging way behind combat.

You would expect a character speced in say, a weapon skill, tactics, and leadership, to be able to go recruit a few guys, attack some bandits, position his people with a few orders, and get a few kills himself, and have all three of these skills raise approximately the same amount from this.

Instead combat still gains a lot faster, its just everything gains extreemly fast so the support skill grind is removed.

Feels fine for me, i killed roughly 200 looters and did 11 or 12 tourneys in my new session and am at 75 archery (started at 30, 4 focus).

Everything else seems to be fine too, the only weird thing i saw was charm, there i had a spike of 23 skillgain when i asked the first noble for the horrible mainquest, but thats it.

So it seems there are weird spikes, but overall this feels much more viable than before.
It was nigh impossible to go anywhere close to 200 archery without mods/cheating.
When i deleted my last session i had archery 180ish and i did not much else than killing looters with my bow and do tourneys for 30 hours.

Feels fine for me, i killed roughly 200 looters and did 11 or 12 tourneys in my new session and am at 75 archery (started at 30, 4 focus).

Everything else seems to be fine too, the only weird thing i saw was charm, there i had a spike of 23 skillgain when i asked the first noble for the horrible mainquest, but thats it.

So it seems there are weird spikes, but overall this feels much more viable than before.
It was nigh impossible to go anywhere close to 200 archery without mods/cheating.
When i deleted my last session i had archery 180ish and i did not much else than killing looters with my bow and do tourneys for 30 hours.

Right, charm still is a little buggy. I think that was taken over from one of the previous patches but I am not 100% sure. I agree that the rest of the progression feels fine

0-100 are pretty fast, especially with focus. After 100 you REALLY need 3 or more focus.

Also, don't forget, Hero Mortality is going to come eventually. The fast skill ups are going to be necessary for a long game so you're not throwing 300 hours into skill ups only to lose it all in one battle.

With 5 focus, you gain XP extremely fast, even over 200, but still, your XP rate drops off a cliff after around 250, so to reach true mastery, you're still looking at a huge amount of time invested.

The general speed is quite ok now.
But in particular the skill gain at the beginning is too fast and towards the 275 mark it's way too slow.
It would be better if they flatten the experience curve a bit.
So things should start a bit slower than they do now, but also don't grow as much into the high skill levels.
Much more satisfying to see a constant trickle of those skill points compared to gaining like 50 in the first 2 hours and later on taking 2 hours for a single point.

You definitely level to fast in the beta with multiple levels per battle. I started a new game and with in 20 or so battles I'm already half way through bow and horse tree. I do go around killing bandits on my own so someone who builds an army right away might not see as big of jump.

The general speed is quite ok now.
But in particular the skill gain at the beginning is too fast and towards the 275 mark it's way too slow.
It would be better if they flatten the experience curve a bit.
So things should start a bit slower than they do now, but also don't grow as much into the high skill levels.
Much more satisfying to see a constant trickle of those skill points compared to gaining like 50 in the first 2 hours and later on taking 2 hours for a single point.
+1 to this!

Steward exp gain is definitely too high, medical and tactics seem good now. Trade is still weird and doesn't seem to be be able to keep up with the changing economy, some goods are nearly impossible to sell in the green range while others are much easier. The trade skill also feels like it's still too difficult to level up as well.

Edit: I take back what I said about trade, once you get it to a higher level it works great

Last edited:
Lets talk about this insane curve as a percentage of the way to 275. By 215 you are only HALFWAY to 275.

I don't know where you got that data. But that is what it feels like in the game, so it seems plausible. It's not even quadratic but still too steep.
They should increase the y of the starting point of the curve and then flatten it out a bit towards the end.
Nothing wrong with taking 100+ hours to get to 275 though, especially since it's not needed to "finish" the game. It's just a better feeling to see you are actually going somewhere with your skills.

I'm on day 8, killed 5 forest bandits, my riding went from 134 to 143, +9 from 5 guys. Bow skill from 100 to 102, maybe bow xp and the co effect it has on riding is the issue. Any way to post screens in these posts?
Have also participated in some tourneys ( 4 i think ) and got 13 one handed, 5 polearms and 7 athletics so far, despite ( iirc ) tournaments xp being a lower gain rate than real battle.

I think it's fine now. You can get 100 in one skill moderately quickly, but you have to keep in mind 300 is the cap. So 100 is not much. Another thing you have to keep in mind is if getting 150 in one single skill cost 40-50 hours to achieve you will finish your campaign before getting any skill to the max cap and that's not good for the game. I had like 80 One-handed with my first 40 hours playthrough.
To those that are experiencing crazy boosts of xp, you probably reloaded an old save. If u didnt load and started a new game and still experience this, you may have a bug but for now i, at least, dont have any issue with my new playthrough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom