0.670 [Suggestion] Ragdoll, Havok :(

New [Havok] ragdoll better or worse than before?

• Worse

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Same

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Don't know

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Better

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

When I read the following I was not exactly enthusiastic:

The game now uses Havok for Character physics.

Why? Well, two reasons really, and quite simple ones:

a. The old MB rag-dolls were incredible.
b. I've yet to see a rag-doll in a game other than Mount and Blade which felt "right".

So I fired up MB and discovered that my suspicions were well founded: the new rag-dolls are jittery and unrealistic compared to the old ones.

There is a clear and defined transition from animation to rag-doll, like the player has last minute spams before truly dying, except it's nowhere near as good as that sounds :sad:

Suggestion: Maybe increase the update rate or ... just .... put the old ones back? They were much better, it looks unnatural and stiff at the moment.

I've not tried .670 yet, but M&B's old ragdolls were probably the best I'd ever seen. Maybe Havok has some special advantages and they just need to tweak things a bit for it to be even better than before.

Papa Lazarou said:
I've not tried .670 yet, but M&B's old ragdolls were probably the best I'd ever seen. Maybe Havok has some special advantages and they just need to tweak things a bit for it to be even better than before.

There are definitely reasons other than just the ragdoll, but the new ones look so ... :sad: You're probably right, maybe with more tweaking they can get them looking better. I just hate that almost audible transition from animation to ragdoll that was never there before, looks really unnatural and fake.

Damn, I was afraid that would happen.

I don't quite understand why they'd need to implement a new system, the only thing that currently uses any physics in game is the ragdolls for humans and horses, which were perfect already. The only reason I can think of is that Havoc might be more efficient, but that wouldn't make sense as I've never had any problems with ragdolls, even on large battles on a below average computer.

I like new ragdolls better. Corpses now looks to have more "weight" in them and I absolutely love that ragdolls now interact with each other as physic objects. Such a shame that my PC can't support max quality and unlimited ragdolls at the same time =/
And hey, it's a little bit soon to hate new ragdolls, Havok was just added so it will need some work on it.

I hope "alive" objects will be able to interact with dead bodies too =D

Both of those would be better off animated rather than working on a physics system.

Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:
I like new ragdolls better. Corpses now looks to have more "weight" in them and I absolutely love that ragdolls now interact with each other as physic objects. Such a shame that my PC can't support max quality and unlimited ragdolls at the same time =/
And hey, it's a little bit soon to hate new ragdolls, Havok was just added so it will need some work on it.
Seriously? Body stacking?
I sure hope you can turn that off, otherwise it'll kill most computers whenever they get into a large battle. That and clipping waste deep in ghost corpses is sillier than having corpses clip through each other.

Havok is way more complex and powerful than the simple ragdolls they had before. It's just a matter of tweaking and tuning the parameters. Don't worry about it.

Moss said:
Both of those would be better off animated rather than working on a physics system.

Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:
Seriously? Body stacking?
I sure hope you can turn that off, otherwise it'll kill most computers whenever they get into a large battle. That and clipping waste deep in ghost corpses is sillier than having corpses clip through each other.

Yup, and it looks pretty cool. Guess the only way is to put ragdolls to 0, could be awesome though if players will be able to choose between Havok and default physics. But even if it's possible guess it will require a hellowa work.

Merlkir said:
Havok is way more complex and powerful than the simple ragdolls they had before. It's just a matter of tweaking and tuning the parameters. Don't worry about it.
Problem is I've seen plenty of games with Havok in it, but none of them had good ragdolls. But then again, this is Taleworlds and they have a habit of doing things other people have tried but getting it right.

Moss said:
Merlkir said:
Problem is I've seen plenty of games with Havok in it, but none of them had good ragdolls. But then again, this is Taleworlds and they have a habit of doing things other people have tried but getting it right.

It's just an engine. It IS a matter of tuning. Most games probably don't pay much attention to things like ragdoll when using 3rd party engines like Havok. It'll be fine, don't worry about it.

Hopefully they can get them looking as good as before, maybe even make it so you can "climb" the corpses ... imagine the battles for narrow passes :grin:

So far I've never seen a game come close to the old MB ragdolls though, not even the "incredible Euphoria" :sad:

L-J-F said:
When I read the following I was not exactly enthusiastic:

The game now uses Havok for Character physics.

Why? Well, two reasons really, and quite simple ones:

a. The old MB rag-dolls were incredible.
b. I've yet to see a rag-doll in a game other than Mount and Blade which felt "right".
Check out Red Orchestra.
But I agree, M&B had very very good rag dolls, I loved how cavalry men sometimes were killed, the horse riding away with the rider still sitting in the saddle, and after a while slumping to either side :smile:

Let's just hope Havok can be used to make the ragdolls as good or better than before.

Daegoth said:
Ragdolls aren't adjusted yet. No need for a poll or discussion yet.
This. They just added a whole new physics system so it will take time to set it right and make it perfect, all we need to do is wait and test.

There was one beta version of M&B that had a bug that was just right. Every now and then a killed rider would seem to get their foot caught in the stirrup for a moment and be dragged by the horse, which looked amazing.  Think it still happens here and there but the body tends to be further behind on an invisible string.
Hope that can be done again.

Styo said:
Daegoth said:
Ragdolls aren't adjusted yet. No need for a poll or discussion yet.
This. They just added a whole new physics system so it will take time to set it right and make it perfect, all we need to do is wait and test.

FCS...

Back
Top Bottom