Users who are viewing this thread

I know there are some sets that do not have armor on the top, but I would have liked that the torso armor and legs are separated. That way we would have more options of combinations and we could go with the naked torso with better protection in the legs XD.

Was inspired by Piconi's Nordic Guard, so I started work on a character model.
Here's the helmet:
QSiUY.png
Wow, that looks awesome man! Will you use it for KoA or some other project?

Bannerlord is obviously aiming for realism in an original world heavily inspired by the real world. I don't know how this can escape anyone.
Neither do I.

The real problem is, in that time most of the equipment were the same.
Early medieval time did not have huge innovations in armor and weapons, it took them 200 years to get to the point, when we see leaps every 20 years.
The main problem was the fall of the roman empire and the roman knowledge the trading routes were shut,Crusades brought it back.
So if they will make armor based on only early medieval time, its going to be dull and grey.
That`s why i think they did the Mishmash with other time to put some flavour.
Sorry but no. From the 8th to the 11th century on all the regions covered by Bannerlord we have a great variety of beautiful armors, which were never dull and grey.

Was inspired by Piconi's Nordic Guard, so I started work on a character model.
Here's the helmet:
QSiUY.png
That is great. Which softwares do you use?

Is it just me or do the stronger units have like huge and broad shoulders, and armour that rests upon them also appears to be clumsily big? Doesnt bother me much, but reminds me of the Viking conquest dorito torsos.

The body proportions are far from perfect on many models, it has been worst in the past. I've made a "flaming" thread about it: design critics
TW have fixed some models, very few are maybe too skinny now, more are correct, other few models are like before completely disproportinate, especially the ones with shoulder armor. For me the base boby model itself is really not that great.

Last edited:
The real problem is, in that time most of the equipment were the same.
Early medieval time did not have huge innovations in armor and weapons, it took them 200 years to get to the point, when we see leaps every 20 years.
The main problem was the fall of the roman empire and the roman knowledge the trading routes were shut,Crusades brought it back.
So if they will make armor based on only early medieval time, its going to be dull and grey.
That`s why i think they did the Mishmash with other time to put some flavour.

Not sure about that chief, similar technology maybe, but I'd say in the west when full plate came in armies became even more homogeneous. The late Middle Ages being the start of standing armies and all (100 Years war). Yes, everyone who could afford it used chainmail, but it worked, why would they not?

Can you identify the cultures through these images if so then cultural differences speak for themselves:

bmzEl.jpg
H58wo.jpg
78laE.jpg
FvTOj.jpg
S0Mgi.jpg
Jt63Z.jpg
u3lWr.png
Tx6kJ.jpg
4RPfD.jpg
OxJWZ.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome man! Will you use it for KoA or some other project?
It doesn't fit KoA, I'll probably just release it for open source. Maybe for some sort of project that overhauls native aesthetics, but its up to those projects if they want to use it I suppose.
@John_M Great model :party:. Just out of curiosity, how long did you work on this model take you?
3-4 hours, and a lot of that is because of the chainmail, which takes awhile because I hand place the links. The rest of the armour will take much longer :p

The body proportions are far from perfect on many models, it has been worst in the past. I've made a "flaming" thread about it: design critics
TW have fixed some models, very few are maybe too skinny now, more are correct, other few models are like before completely disproportinate, especially the ones with shoulder armor. For me the base boby model itself is really not that great.
I wonder if this is because of the weight slider in the game. And no doubt have shoulder armour separate has influenced the geometry of all of the body armours. Hopefully for mods it wont be too hard making armour look the right size.

Last edited:
I was talking about Early medieval times, from the 5th or 6th century to the 10th century.
The armor that both of you are talking about is from the second and third crusades
That's why i said TaleWorlds did the MishMash and brought armor from 11-12 century.
I don't wanna bring Flame wars to this forum, but again early medieval did not have huge leaps in weapons and armor.

As you can see the leap, begins around the second crusade and jumps every 20 years.
I was not talking about culture, i was talking like why vlandia using pot helm and so on.

Last edited:
I was talking about Early medieval times, from the 5th or 6th century to the 10th century.
The armor that both of you are talking about is from the second and third crusades
That's why i said TaleWorlds did the MishMash and brought armor from 11-12 century.
I don't wanna bring Flame wars to this forum, but again early medieval did not have huge leaps in weapons and armor.

As you can see the leap, begins around the second crusade and jumps every 20 years.
I was not talking about culture, i was talking like why vlandia using pot helm and so on.

1) The devs said Bannerlord was based on the 8th to 11th century period, not the whole "Dark Ages"
2) Most of the pictures posted by Jerald of Rivacheg fit this timeframe, except the first one
3) Your pictures are some old outdated stuff, sorry
4) You only refer to Western Europe, while out of 6 Bannerlord factions, only one is inspired by Western Europe (Vlandians)
Sorry if this sounds rude, I just write my post in this way to be clearer.

To come back to the Osprey pictures, they have aged and are often not too reliable. However they are a great source of inspiration for a game like Mount & Blade, realistic without aiming at pure historical accuracy.
Here are some more to back up Jerald:
HA1T7hp.jpg
xGd0PY5.jpg
p74hzx4.jpg
JlELbzU.jpg
eE0hN1H.jpg
DUPFF9G.jpg
fxgAktM.jpg
jSXUycZ.jpg
Pretty diverse. And this does not cover all the cultures featured in Bannerlord.

1) The devs said Bannerlord was based on the 8th to 11th century period, not the whole "Dark Ages"
2) Most of the pictures posted by Jerald of Rivacheg fit this timeframe, except the first one
3) Your pictures are some old outdated stuff, sorry
4) You only refer to Western Europe, while out of 6 Bannerlord factions, only one is inspired by Western Europe (Vlandians)
Sorry if this sounds rude, I just write my post in this way to be clearer.

To come back to the Osprey pictures, they have aged and are often not too reliable. However they are a great source of inspiration for a game like Mount & Blade, realistic without aiming at pure historical accuracy.
Here are some more to back up Jerald:
HA1T7hp.jpg
xGd0PY5.jpg
p74hzx4.jpg
JlELbzU.jpg
eE0hN1H.jpg
DUPFF9G.jpg
fxgAktM.jpg
jSXUycZ.jpg
Pretty diverse. And this does not cover all the cultures featured in Bannerlord.

Can you inlight me please, on the things that i said is wrong and outdated, can`t wait to hear it?
and yes i was talking about normans(Vlandians).

I don't like the current design of the mamluke. Do you think they should return to the original warband design?
The current mamluke looks too much like a king or lord imo. I think they should just return the helmet to the style of this warband mamluke which they had before the big overhaul. Other than that, no i dont want them to have this full chainmail bland look of the warband mamluke.

I personally would like to see a more early turkic/steppe look for the khuzaits rather than their current look, which seems to be based off mongol reenactments with all that leather.

Genghis-Kahn-re-enactment-celebration-42-21867627.jpg
070801-m-1848t-048.jpg

8ad12f3143c9b8be3e919902ee2baeba.jpg
5406147cf53f0b7408c142a8b2d67eb6.jpg
651bd47fe295b2b2e797619409241055.jpg
pecheneg-tribesman-from-byzantine-armies-886-1118-by-osprey.png

I personally would like to see a more early turkic/steppe look for the khuzaits rather than their current look, which seems to be based off mongol reenactments with all that leather.

8ad12f3143c9b8be3e919902ee2baeba.jpg
5406147cf53f0b7408c142a8b2d67eb6.jpg

This is a very unique-looking armor that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere before. I hope the devs see this one.[/spoiler]

Back
Top Bottom