? Alpha & Beta Branches Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Welp, they're not changing anything from beta to main branch so... kinda redundant to have both at this point.
Yes, I sadly agree, I commented something similar to what you just said on the Patch Thread (at page 4)
I'm starting to wonder the use of this thread if instead of a Beta - Main process, which leaves unfinished features behind instead of pushing them, we have a weekly update and a weekly duplication of the last Beta version.
The goal of the Beta was listening to feedback and pushing the features that were ready, how come everything is pushed every time even when the feedback is extremely negative towards a specific issue?

Yes, I sadly agree, I commented something similar to what you just said on the Patch Thread (at page 4)
I'm starting to wonder the use of this thread if instead of a Beta - Main process, which leaves unfinished features behind instead of pushing them, we have a weekly update and a weekly duplication of the last Beta version.
The goal of the Beta was listening to feedback and pushing the features that were ready, how come everything is pushed every time even when the feedback is extremely negative towards a specific issue?

Unfortunately it appears they're just doing it to say they're doing it at this point. Aw well.

Went through this thread to check what's new and collected some new(old?) problems:
  • FPS drop (during retreats?) [1] [2] [3] [4 dev reaction] [5] [6] [7] .. and many more
  • I can no longer use the code to customize my banner [1]
  • no longer be able to preview items in the store or in my inventory [1]
  • siege bug - sally out smaller force [1] [2]
  • map problems [1]

The map problems related to villagers not supplying cities are quite game-breaking actually.
Assuming it will get worse the economy will be crippled quickly for towns with villages affected by it.
For my playthrough that was about 6 villages for Battania alone just stuck with 2-3 of parties of villagers each.
Hardly anything could be bought for trade in cities with affected villages. That's on a fresh e1.3.0 playthrough but is reported to happen as well on old save.

Last edited:
Went through this thread to check what's new and collected some new(old?) problems:
  • FPS drop (during retreats?) [1] [2] [3] [4 dev reaction] [5] [6] [7] .. and many more
  • I can no longer use the code to customize my banner [1]
  • no longer be able to preview items in the store or in my inventory [1]
  • siege bug - sally out smaller force [1] [2]
  • map problems [1]
Thank you so much for these links, it confirmed what I tested

The map problems related to villagers not supplying cities are quite game-breaking actually.
Assuming it will get worse the economy will be crippled quickly for towns with villages affected by it.
For my playthrough that was about 6 villages for Battania alone just stuck with 2-3 of parties of villagers each.
Hardly anything could be bought for trade in cities with affected villages. That's on a fresh e1.3.0 playthrough but is reported to happen as well on old save.
Yes, I noticed the map problems are related to that, it's a shame because I started a Blacksmith playthrough in Beta 1.3.0 but the Towns' economies are really weak.

UPDATED 25/04/2020, the tables are updated! Sadly Beta 1.3.0 is the patch so far that introduced the most Red content (and had the worst Blue/Red ratio) Main 1.2.0 is a duplicate of Beta 1.2.0.

Since Main 1.2.0 is a duplicate of Beta 1.2.0, incorporating everything good, but also everything wrong. There is no point in having a Beta if everything (even the broken content) is pushed from the lower branches to the public branches.
I want to continue updating this thread, but it is disheartening to be given a great opportunity, like a Beta-Branch (I design board games and I adore the Beta-Main process), but it isn't used at all.
Main 1.1.0 received the broken AI combat, which is still here in Beta 1.3.0, so the feedback was ignored (and still is, it should've been reverted in the Main Branch to Pre-Beta AI for quite some time now) and the broken combat should stay only in the Beta for testing, it is not ready, not compared to what we had before.
Main 1.2.0 has no use at all since it is a copy of Beta 1.2.0.
If Main 1.3.0 receive everything from Beta 1.3.0, including all the Red content shown in the Beta 1.3.0 table, I might close this thread. It's a lot of searching and efforts gone to waste if the broken content isn't prevented from entering the public branch as soon as it can.

This is a great thread. I think it is pretty fair assessment, and I am in full agreement about seeing the beta branch utilized more. That said, I think they have focused on fixing the performance issues that occur in beta before pushing to stable; as far as game play changes are concerned I think they are working towards their end goal & happened to introduce in beta. In other words, I think beta is being used for feedback into technical issues more-so than game play. Take combat AI for example, it was utterly terrible in 1.1b; in 1.3b shielded units block much better, and tier 3+ infantry units are closer to the state they were in on 1.0.x versions. The issue still lies with 2H units not blocking (and to a large extend, ranged units being extremely accurate despite their skill levels). I think it would be fair to note that they are tweaking it every 1.x version they put out. Can't really comment on the tactics AI used in battle in 1.3b since the larger battles are a slideshow.

I personally think it is quite positive that they continue to improve the AI combat from where it was in 1.1b; their stated design choice to focus on skill levels instead of character level has been well received, it is the implementation that has (and rightfully so) received negative feedback. Please, keep this thread going even if 1.3b 'red' content makes it into main branch. Perhaps taleworlds feels their development speed on pushing out these weekly updates is fast enough that it would be a hindrance to separate their game play changes from performance/technical; perhaps game play changes are tied to performance. So please, do not be disheartened! It is a very useful thread and can cause more feedback to be gathered on issues that you highlight.

In another note; looters still kill in auto-resolve in 1.3b & it remains an issue as player don't really have another way to train units from recruit to t3/t4

This is a great thread. I think it is pretty fair assessment, and I am in full agreement about seeing the beta branch utilized more.
Thank you for that comment, it's really appreciated

I think beta is being used for feedback into technical issues more-so than game play.
I totaly agree, the problem is when they accidentaly break content and instead of fixing it, they push it to the next level, snowballing broken content from update to update.

I personally think it is quite positive that they continue to improve the AI combat from where it was in 1.1b
I also agree! I added in the patches where they updated it a Blue feature like 'Shield Unit block more' but I still have to leave the 'AI Blocking is broken' until it is as good as before the Beta, since the goal of this thread is to compare before to after, right now the tweaked after is still way worse than before the start of the Beta. But, I totally agree that skill level is a way better metric to how an AI should fight than overall level, I want this to continue on the Beta and be tweaked until it is great, the problem is it's presence in the Main Branch.

Please, keep this thread going even if 1.3b 'red' content makes it into main branch. Perhaps taleworlds feels their development speed on pushing out these weekly updates is fast enough that it would be a hindrance to separate their game play changes from performance/technical; perhaps game play changes are tied to performance. So please, do not be disheartened! It is a very useful thread and can cause more feedback to be gathered on issues that you highlight.
I really appreciate that part, thank you. I'll keep updating it even if they keep pushing Red content, so that people can see a list of all the note worthy content. I'll just take a step back stop hoping that the devs take the thread into account.

In another note; looters still kill in auto-resolve in 1.3b & it remains an issue as player don't really have another way to train units from recruit to t3/t4
Updated it, thank you for letting me know!

Thank you so much for that comment,
Cheers

Last edited:
UPDATED FOR BETA 1.3.0 HOTFIX
They removed 4 Red issues at once! That's really great, but Beta 1.3.0 still introduced 5 others and 2 of them are quite major (FPS and Snowballing)

Great to see you updating this so regularly, thanks!
I think the snowballing issue might have a lot to do with the economy just broke with caravans/villagers stuck. I would assume that with a fix to those two it should be better. About to start a new e1.3.0 playthrough, I hope it is the case that this is fixed.

edit: I stand corrected:
Snowballing was probably (90%) related to sally-out bug.

Still, I think the broken economy would contribute to that as well. Btw @mexxico thanks for staying so active on forums and keeping us up to date, splendid work! I love seeing a developer so engaged with feedback from the community.

Snowballing was probably (90%) related to sally-out bug.
Brilliant, thank you for commenting and for your tireless efforts on the updates! I'll put this issue in Grey until someone can test it out!

Great to see you updating this so regularly, thanks!
I think the snowballing issue might have a lot to do with the economy just broke with caravans/villagers stuck. I would assume that with a fix to those two it should be better. About to start a new e1.3.0 playthrough, I hope it is the case that this is fixed.
My pleasure! I would love to have your feedback about this issue, I'll also start a new playthrough to test this.

@Sir Keyser Soze, guess we don't have to worry about the Red content entering Main! The only urgent thing left is the FPS issue! That really was an efficient Hotfix

Last edited:
This mod stops the enemy from fleeing and removes fps drop in battles in 1.3. Tmp solution until the bug is fixed.

Somebody reported that turning body count to 0 also helps.

Would be interesting to hear from devs if they are even able to do the cherry picking you want from the beta branch with their current development process.

Mod which restores Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V copy/paste functionality to the banner editor in Bannerlord beta e1.3.0
This mod stops the enemy from fleeing and removes fps drop in battles in 1.3. Tmp solution until the bug is fixed.
Added both, thank you for the links!

Re the AI blocking, devs could add a shield skill like in warband and use it to differentiate shield usage btween diff tier troops
The AI blocking issue is still in the table and the One Hand and Athletic skills have perks for Shield use! I don't really mind how they implement it, as long as we end up with AI similar to pre Beta!

Would be interesting to hear from devs if they are even able to do the cherry picking you want from the beta branch with their current development process.
I would also like to know this, but as long as they keep Hotfixing out the issues of the Beta branch before it goes Public, I reckon that's sufficient!

Last edited:
We just put out a small hotfix to the beta branch:
  • Fixed an issue with AI retreating that caused performance problems in combat missions.
  • Fixed a minor bug with the Food Variety Morale Bonus. Having maximum variety should no longer default to a low bonus.

Thought I'll share this here, it seems like the fps drop issue was hotfixed today.

Back
Top Bottom