SP - Player, NPCs & Troops šŸ“ Creative Unit Aesthetics - archive

Users who are viewing this thread

I am pleased that the debate has been opened; I insist, what I have shared with you all is a personal interpretation.

For example Vlandia. We are told in the lore that " The Vlandian kingdom, named after the early warlord Wilund the Bold (Valandion, in Calradic), began as a large number of barbarian tribes, who migrated into former Battanian lands during the waning period of the Calradic Empire " and " The Vlandians originated overseas and came to Calradia as mercenaries and adventurers. ", but why do we have to be guided by conventions of "the nords come from the north", "an Asian faction must come from the east", etc? Under this premise, we could say that the Vlandias come from Nordlands in a plausible way; think about it. :iamamoron:

I wonder; if you had the possibility, wouldn't you like to create something with more identity and that would move away from the conventionalities offered by the main factions of the franchise in the native?

#totalinceptions
Hmmm, you know what? I think you might be onto something. The Vlandians are meant to be inspired by the Normans, and the Normans themselves were Norse. So why not make the Vlandians Nord in origin? I must admit that I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

Still, I feel like we should adhere to Eastern cultures being eastern and stuff that's what they're going for in Calradia. The Nordic faction is in the north, the Steppe faction is east, the feudal europe faction is west. It would be a bit jarring to just break it now out of nowhere imo.

Hmmm, you know what? I think you might be onto something. The Vlandians are meant to be inspired by the Normans, and the Normans themselves were Norse. So why not make the Vlandians Nord in origin? I must admit that I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

Still, I feel like we should adhere to Eastern cultures being eastern and stuff that's what they're going for in Calradia. The Nordic faction is in the north, the Steppe faction is east, the feudal europe faction is west. It would be a bit jarring to just break it now out of nowhere imo.
Normans were French, my friend.

You might want to read up on the origins of the Normans, starting with Rollo of Normandy.

Yeah, the Normans were Christianised, integrated and adopted the culture of the local Franks, but they were once Norse.
Linguistic: Normans spoke a dialect of French instead of any of the Scandinavian languages.
Geography: Normandy is in northwestern France.
Culture: Normans were mostly western European culturally, so France. With some Norse influence.
Genetic: Only elite Normans had one Norse great grandparent, and the majority of Norman soldiers were just French. They were genetically >80% French.

Overall, Mexicans are more Spanish than Normans are Scandinavian.

Linguistic: Normans spoke a dialect of French instead of any of the Scandinavian languages.
Geography: Normandy is in northwestern France.
Culture: Normans were mostly western European culturally, so France. With some Norse influence.
Genetic: Only elite Normans had one Norse great grandparent, and the majority of Norman soldiers were just French. They were genetically >80% French.

Overall, Mexicans are more Spanish than Normans are Scandinavian.
I know they took to speaking french, I know they inhabit a region of France, I know they became very Western European and I know that they mixed in with the local Franks.

The Normans were still the result of the Franks granting the lands of Normandy to Norsemen, who settled down and mingled with the locals. I don't understand the need to be such a pedant about them not being 'completely norse'. I know that already.

Either way, I don't think you can deny that Vlandia is very blatantly based on the Normans, and that it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that Wilund the Bold and his mercenaries came from Nordland/Jumne.

I know they took to speaking french, I know they inhabit a region of France, I know they became very Western European and I know that they mixed in with the local Franks.

The Normans were still the result of the Franks granting the lands of Normandy to Norsemen, who settled down and mingled with the locals. I don't understand the need to be such a pedant about them not being 'completely norse'. I know that already.

Either way, I don't think you can deny that Vlandia is very blatantly based on the Normans, and that it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that Wilund the Bold and his mercenaries came from Nordland/Jumne.

It is incorrect to call Normans Nordic because they were mostly French with some Nordic influence. The English speaking world love to deny French achievements in history. Why? Because unlike UK, France doesn't give a **** about USA and doesn't follow USA's orders. USA doesn't have military bases in France. So USA created this surrender joke about French only because they ****ed up once in WW2. Yet nobody talks about French military victories in history.

Why did Hitler view France as the biggest enemy to the German people? Because France single handedly destroyed HRE. And they stood toe to toe against German empire in WW1 despite only 2/3 of German population, and emerged as a victor and gave Germany unequal treaties. Why the Arab world fear France? Because France defeated Arab empire at its height at Battle of Tours, when Arabs were undefeated pretty much everywhere. France was also the primary force behind the crusades and carved up the Muslim world during colonial times. France was the strongest continental power in Europe throughout most of its history. The 100 years war was basically a civil war and dispute among French aristocrats because the ruling class of England was French.

Believe it or not, France is still the strongest nation in Europe militarily and politically right now.......especially after Brexit, France is the leader of EU, one of the big five, very capable military and nuclear arsenal, and decent economy. It has nuclear powered aircraft carrier, not even China and Russia have them btw. French is the spoken language in many parts of the world, especially in Africa.

OK, i hope this won`t turn into another nationalist rant (maybe it already has), everyone has access to history books and can see what it says in them about who is who and what is what for themselves, no need to try "educate" each other using forum posts, so i beg of you to stay in the pocket of the argument about the great suggestions by Terco. Let`s talk about that. ?

To get back on topic:

I don't know why I just can't see Samurai on Calradia.
The model is beautiful, but for me it doesn't fit.

Someone needs to make Bannerlord East Asia.
I guess then it would fit.

Hidden Samurai set :fruity: in M&B and Warband
tenor.gif

---
As Piconi says, let's keep the debate on track please.

And that didn't fit for me either.
The more I think about it:
I don't need more factions for the game.
It might be a stupid approach, but the less TW makes for the base game, the more freedom and creativity mods can have.
When I saw your Samurai I instantly wanted to play gekokujo again.

And that didn't fit for me either.
The more I think about it:
I don't need more factions for the game.
It might be a stupid approach, but the less TW makes for the base game, the more freedom and creativity mods can have.
When I saw your Samurai I instantly wanted to play gekokujo again.
You used to be cool. :cry:

-GLcq.jpg

France are not surrender monkeys.
I for one think that France is the absolute worst case of 'only as good as your last performance' in history, and I do find myself irritated by the tired 'surrender monkeys' joke. And that's big, considering I'm Vietnamese. In no way am I trying to take away from French achievements when I say that the Normans were Norse in origin (which is simplifying things I'll admit). Now I hope we can move on...

I don't want any Sengoku Jidai nonsense in my Bannerlord, so lets forget about that. If samurai get in, they ought to look Heian period, or better yet earlier.

earlysamurai06.jpg

This gets far too under represented. Props to Terco, your lovely models actually look like it. I probably wouldn't bother with Song or Goryeon influences though, would rather see them in a different faction. Or better yet, a Bannerlord to the East.

Otherwise, I think they'd do fine as a fun minor faction in the game, like a group of envoys and explorers coming in from the East along a sort of 'Silk Road' parallel.

OK, i hope this won`t turn into another nationalist rant (maybe it already has), everyone has access to history books and can see what it says in them about who is who and what is what for themselves, no need to try "educate" each other using forum posts, so i beg of you to stay in the pocket of the argument about the great suggestions by Terco. Let`s talk about that. ?
I'm not French, but yes, let's stay on the topic.

You used to be cool.

Ouch.
If you put it that way, I guess we do need more factions.

Okay okay in all honesty: I kind of like what we have with our base game. Factions that is. But we could have some more minor factions.
The size of Calradia is just fine with me.
My issue with a lot of mods is that I never finished them as they were too big.
I am just a big fan of homogene settings

" The Vlandian kingdom, named after the early warlord Wilund the Bold (Valandion, in Calradic), began as a large number of barbarian tribes, who migrated into former Battanian lands during the waning period of the Calradic Empire " and " The Vlandians originated overseas and came to Calradia as mercenaries and adventurers. ", but why do we have to be guided by conventions of "the nords come from the north", "an Asian faction must come from the east", etc? Under this premise, we could say that the Vlandias come from Nordlands in a plausible way; think about it.

I absolutly agree with this. I am currently working /planning a mod that plays in the early 14th century and I really like the idea to move for example France and England to different locations. Maybe I switch Spain and Scandinavia. It will be low-fanatsy in the same way that Calradia is, so I don't think one has pretend historical realism.
Basically in Bannerlord Calradia is the base setting and there are bounderies. But inbetween the boundaries you should be free to do what you want. For me these boundaries are fitting arms and armor, and no samurai in Calradia :grin:
Sorry Terco. I love Samurai and I even practicse Kendo ( I have my Do right next to me atm) but for some reason I just don't want them to crossover with medieval Knights.
Can't really defend myself here :grin:

Ouch.
If you put it that way, I guess we do need more factions.

Okay okay in all honesty: I kind of like what we have with our base game. Factions that is. But we could have some more minor factions.
The size of Calradia is just fine with me.
My issue with a lot of mods is that I never finished them as they were too big.
I am just a big fan of homogene settings

I absolutly agree with this. I am currently working /planning a mod that plays in the early 14th century and I really like the idea to move for example France and England to different locations. Maybe I switch Spain and Scandinavia. It will be low-fanatsy in the same way that Calradia is, so I don't think one has pretend historical realism.
Basically in Bannerlord Calradia is the base setting and there are bounderies. But inbetween the boundaries you should be free to do what you want. For me these boundaries are fitting arms and armor, and no samurai in Calradia :grin:
Sorry Terco. I love Samurai and I even practicse Kendo ( I have my Do right next to me atm) but for some reason I just don't want them to crossover with medieval Knights.
Can't really defend myself here :grin:

You know I'm joking mate; opinions are like ass, everyone's got one.

o3tFbs.gif

I still love you

Hello if the dev could remove the use of "Gengis Khan" mustache for non Khuzait factions that would be nice to not break immersion, having Vlandians getting that mustache is little bit weird (it would be also a lot for Sturgians etc..). I think the same idea could be use to make specific faction haircuts or beards. The "Gengis Khan" mustache is the more noticeable for now. The body proportions are far far better in 1.4.2! Thx.

Last edited:
6tcQW.jpg

Oh, truly amazing and beautiful art design. Sultan in particular is really good.(y)(y)(y)
I'm really hoping that equipment like this will be added to the game, as there is a real lack of equipment for the king.

Last edited:
I think Vlandian cavalry could use more in the area of shoulder armor, and one thing I've noticed in some modern illustrations of knights is a flat object attached to the knight's arm, displaying some heraldry or coat of arms. Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:
vFRcbIy.png
You can see in both images how it's positioned on the knight's right shoulder or upper arm. I like the idea of Vlandian knights also having this and it could display the heraldry of the clan they're fighting for, much like how shields and banners do.
Would love to see this implemented. I think the custom aspect would be awesome.

I think Vlandian cavalry could use more in the area of shoulder armor, and one thing I've noticed in some modern illustrations of knights is a flat object attached to the knight's arm, displaying some heraldry or coat of arms. Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:
vFRcbIy.png
You can see in both images how it's positioned on the knight's right shoulder or upper arm. I like the idea of Vlandian knights also having this and it could display the heraldry of the clan they're fighting for, much like how shields and banners do.

I took note on some missing shoulder armors and general armors in this topic I made some time ago... please feel free to check it out here mate https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...n-gear-general-armors-updated-june-07.423899/

Vlandian's and that Sultan's fabric looks amazing, they need to implement so much rich clothes, all the lords are dressing like peasents while they should be dressing like, well... lords

Back
Top Bottom