Need More Info “d3d_device_context_-> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed! The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine"

Users who are viewing this thread

Not playing beta or alpha. Something about my GPU (a GTX 1080TI, factory OC) failing. I don't understand that at all. I'm crashing at startup (infinite loading), or if I can manage to load a save, I crash shortly after (tinkering with Reshade settings in the menu) or just on the map. Reinstalling does little good - the game changes my settings at launch, and the launcher doesn't work at all.

Error message: “d3d_device_context_-> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed!
The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.”

Summary:
Game crashes at launch, or crashes shortly after loading game, in world maps, during sieges, at random. Game changes my settings every time - often setting my FPS to 200, making my GPU go to 100% and crashing.
How to Reproduce: Have an Nvidia card and Intel processor (not sure)
Quest/Settlement Name (if related): it varies
Version: Non-beta, non-alpha
Computer Specs:
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080Ti Gigabyte Windforce 11GB OC
CPU: Intel i7-4790k (Haswell)
RAM: 16gb
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917)
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD for OS, Standard 1 TB HD for storage + games (Bannerlord included)

Update: after changing a lot of settings, updating every driver possible, limiting to 60 FPS, removing Reshade, using only minimal/critical mods, the game is fairly stable now *for this issue. I put basically all particle, shadows, shader, and AO settings to LOW or NONE. Changed sound to medium (or low sometimes). Texture streaming budget => medium (despite having tons of free VRAM left). It still stutters a lot on the world map and in sieges. 400 max battles for me as anything over seems to lag badly. I am also using Process Lasso which has helped and the alternate launcher.

Last edited:
i have the same crash

I've updated all drivers, updated OS, did clean uninstall of drivers using DDU and reinstall, tried different GPU drivers, tried running without any mods, reinstalled game. Even set a massive paging file on C:/ and D:/ for 24,000 MB. Really makes no difference what I do, it eventually crashes, if I manage to launch the game. On every other game I can play maxed settings, 2k resolution, with no issues.

Last edited:
I get this too, I've had this problem since i installed a week ago, no version makes any difference and like above I've tried everything.
running a Ryzen 5 3600 with Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT

In other words, doesn't seem to be nvidia/amd/intel related

I have this issue since e1.0.2. I haven't been able to play the game ever since. After loading screen, menu appears and then everything freezes. For a while music continues, after that d3d error closes the game.

My computer is ASUS GL552VW. Its graphic card is NVIDIA GTX 960m.

EDIT - Still crashing, same error, even after minimal success launching/playing a few custom battles. Crashing now in custom battles, at launch, exiting battles, changing settings, etc. Sometimes I get a slightly different error message related to the GPU not responding.

1) Every time I launch the game, my fps limit/screen resolution is changed! So I have a 144hz monitor, but using that high FPS will fprce my card to 100% usage (crash). I think we're crashing at loading because our resolution and FPS caps are mixing up and the PC doesn't know what to do. Just remember that every time you launch the game, you need to change your screen resolution to whatever. I personally put my screen at 2k @ 99 FPS and the FPS limit at 99 FPS. If that doesn't work long term I guess I'll try 60.

2) ReShade does seem to work, but it needs to be turned off before you exit the game. Loading the game in it's uber fragile state, with a bunch of extra graphics options, just compounds the problem.

3) There is a registry value I changed based on searching for our problem that helped a lot. Normally I would have an endless white screen, or the video wouldn't load at start. What this value does - "TdrDelay_100" is delay the amount of time a GPU gives up basically during hangtime. Normally, an application will crash after 3 seconds if the GPU locks up. Changing this gives it 100 seconds. Some people change it to 10, but based on this article here (https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us...GPU-device-instance-has-been-suspended-error-) it does it for you in download format.

4) You can't use the game using the default launcher. You either have to start BannerLordNative.exe, or use an alternate launcher (recommended - because you can sort your load order properly if using mods). I like this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/265

5) If your card is factory OC, or OC at all, de-clock it to the base values. My card game OC and I did that. So far only one crash, but that's because I didn't check the video menu before I started playing to match up the resolution/max FPS cap.

Let me know what y'all find.

Last edited:
Hello, i have informed the devs about the issue and i am sure it will be solved a soon as possible. Please let us know if the problem persists after further patches.

AMD: Reverted Amd Adrenaline to 20.2.2 and de-clocked my radeon factory OC:d card, seems to have removed this error for me.
I also went into my windows power plan and set max power usage for my cpu to 99%,
that might play into the equation somehow.

Also for nvidia people i see other people giving tips about going into nvidia control panel and turn sharpening off.

Hello,

Also have a 1080Ti and had same issue.

Fix was to:
1) Turn off overclocking / reset to default clock speeds (I used MSI after burner)

2) Limit max FPS on computer (100 FPS in my case), (Right click Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Global Settings Tab -> Max Frame Rate)
Set Power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" <= Still under Nvidia Control Panel

3) Changed in game settings:
*Limit in game FPS to 60
*Set Sound Channels to Low (128 )
*Set Number of Corpses to Medium
*Set Shadow Type to Static Only
* Have Screen Space Reflection checked Off
* Have Motion Blur checked Off

** I have all other settings turned on and at High/Very High. Haven't had a crash in ~15 hours since implementing these changes.

I am also getting this same error. It happens while browsing the inventory or party screens. Sometimes when i'm in the clan screen. Recently in the newest patches it happens in certain towns and villages as well. At the end of the error I get it says, "Last Executed Marker: RC: SceneView::inventory_character_scene / RC: SceneView::inventory_character_scene / Deferred Fullscreen Light Pass". If it happens in a village or town I get the same thing with town scenes "valandia_a/deferred fullscreen light pass". I've tried everything. I remember in 1.0.7 I could play for hours in windowed mode and not get this crash but it still happened eventually.

My specs are fairly old, however I play the game fine otherwise(150 vs 150 batlles, 30fps, very low settings with shader quality medium and texture streaming medium). I see that people with much more powerful specs than me are having this problem even though the circumstances are a bit different. I should note that I can no longer update my nvidia drivers. Last update for my card was in April of 2019.

How to Reproduce:Browsing inventory screen or party screen, certain village and town scenes
Quest/Settlement Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Version: 1.06-1.1.0
Computer Specs
:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 755m
CPU: i7-4700mq
RAM: 8GB ddr3
Motherboard:
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): 1 TB HDD

I consistently get errors stating something along the lines of "d3d_device_context_-> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed! The GPU Instance has been suspended. Use GerDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action."

It then produces a Last Executed Marker, which are generally different. As well as the above error, I also receive similar ones that stat the GPU device has been removed.

I have noticed that if I set my performance settings to anything above Very Low, I get the errors within a matter of minutes, especially when trying to trade, access inventory or travel on the map.

When I set my performance settings to Very Low, I can sometimes go several hours without an error, though it seems to me like I should be able to run the game on at least medium, based on the required specs unless I am mistaken.

My system is as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HK (2.70GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M (8GB)
RAM: 32GB

I have tried updating and rolling back GPU drivers, underclocking the GPU, limiting the CPU, making sure OS is up to date, clearing temp folders. Nothing seems to work. I have screenshots of some of the error messages, but can't work out how to post them.

I get this problem as well either by entering my castle hall or specific lord quests (most of them work from what i know), other then that I don't find any other situation where this happens

I used to get this error ALOT. i fixed it by UNDER clocking my gpu by 105 on MSI afterburner. now ican play for hours without it crashing..... strange. even on highest settings i can play a full day without acrash sometimes. i have a 780TI GPU btw and 4670k CPU (OLD)

I have the same error message but for me it always pops up after crashing on the second loading screen after start up (immediately after intro fmv). Unfortunately haven't enjoyed a single minute of actual game-play yet. Tried all good advice on this thread (including under clocking GPU as Icaurs' post above advises), plus other sites that mostly claim it's an easy fix by just turning off image sharpening. Nothing working, not on stable 1.1.2 or beta 1.2.0. Spec: Windows 10, i7-8700K, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB RAM. Hopefully TW are working hard on a fix - game looks incredible!

I have the same error message but for me it always pops up after crashing on the second loading screen after start up (immediately after intro fmv). Unfortunately haven't enjoyed a single minute of actual game-play yet. Tried all good advice on this thread (including under clocking GPU as Icaurs' post above advises), plus other sites that mostly claim it's an easy fix by just turning off image sharpening. Nothing working, not on stable 1.1.2 or beta 1.2.0. Spec: Windows 10, i7-8700K, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB RAM. Hopefully TW are working hard on a fix - game looks incredible!

Underclocking the GPU by about 105 also worked for me I think. The biggest thing is limiting frames to 60. When the game jumps wildly from 42 to 110 it REALLY messes with your graphics card. That and turning audio quality to low (or medium if you can handle it). Turn of all shadows, ambient occlusion, get rid of mods, and Reshade will also make it crash. I should just take screenshots of the settings and post it. It took me a week of nothing but troubleshooting just to get it running. Also having a separate launcher (I know it's a mod) was the only way for me to sort load order - which is also important. The native files should be: 1) native 2) sandbox core 3) sandbox 4) custom battle 5) story mode. Story mode has to be last.

I fixed it by UNDER clocking my gpu by 105 on MSI afterburner.)
I agree, but we shouldn't have to underclock our GPU's.

Having same issue. Only thing that worked for me is lowering quality to Very Low, which lets me play for an hour or two at best without crashing. Otherwise it crashes after a minute. I am running MSI 5700XT Gaming X with latest drivers for whole system.

Having same issue. Only thing that worked for me is lowering quality to Very Low, which lets me play for an hour or two at best without crashing. Otherwise it crashes after a minute. I am running MSI 5700XT Gaming X with latest drivers for whole system.
Same here, but I'm running a different system.

Underclocking the GPU by about 105 also worked for me I think. The biggest thing is limiting frames to 60. When the game jumps wildly from 42 to 110 it REALLY messes with your graphics card. That and turning audio quality to low (or medium if you can handle it). Turn of all shadows, ambient occlusion, get rid of mods, and Reshade will also make it crash. I should just take screenshots of the settings and post it. It took me a week of nothing but troubleshooting just to get it running. Also having a separate launcher (I know it's a mod) was the only way for me to sort load order - which is also important. The native files should be: 1) native 2) sandbox core 3) sandbox 4) custom battle 5) story mode. Story mode has to be last.

I agree, but we shouldn't have to underclock our GPU's.
I've underclocked my GPU and still had the same issue.

Same here, but I'm running a different system. I've underclocked my GPU and still had the same issue.

Other things you can try that are helpful are: use an alternate launcher, this one is the best: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/265.

Download Process Lasso (set the games priority to always high, I/O high, Bitsum highest performance mode when game is running (balanced for standard PC usage), and performance mode enabled.

Cap framerate to 60 FPS, make sure the game isn't changing settings. Check your config files to see if anything is off in my documents. The game changed back to 200 which will make it crash. Battle size use a low number.

Update all drivers (Driver Easy is a good way to check).

Took me an entire week of troubleshooting to get it fairly stable, those are just some things that have worked for me. More information is also helpful for the devs. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom