Search results for query: *

1. Troop Formations!

I guess the main point I'm trying to get across is this: taking more factors into account in all events will make the game seem more realistic and immersive. Life is complex business. You have uncountable different elements all coming together to form the situation you experience at any given point. So the more factors you recognize and can influence in a game, the more alive it seems. I suppose that if you program with this in mind, taking more and more factors into account as you develop the game shouldn't be impossibly complicated. However, my coding experience is restricted to small applications and scripts I've written for personal use and enjoyment- I have no idea what developing a large scale project like this is like.
  2. Mount&Blade in linux

Myxb said:
    Replacing the dinput.dll.so does fix the problem with mouse rotating the view around your character. The latest wine 1.1.29 does not fix the problem, so we still have to do it manually.

There is however another problem resultant from this manual fix. If you move the mouse point to an extreme edge of the screen, the pointer jumps to the center of the screen. A bit annoying but does not prevent from playing since all the buttons can be pressed.

I wonder if there is a way to fix this bug also. Anyone?

That's not a bug- it's how the patch works. Normally, there's two different modes for the mouse pointer in wine that can be set in the registry: normal and mouse-warp. Mouse-warp makes the mouse pointer jump ("warp") to the center of the screen every time you move it. This fixes the problem of not being able to turn fully in games, but it makes it impossible to navigate menus in game, and since you can't control M&B's menus with the keyboard, it is not a viable fix for M&B.

What the patch does is that it warps the mouse pointer to the center of the screen only if it hits the edge of the screen. This means that as long as you do not touch the edges, menus are fine and you can turn your character fully. So no, there's no way to fix this "bug"- it's just how the patch works.

Really, I think it's not even a problem. In fact, sometimes my mouse is close to the edge of the screen and I need to get it closer to the middle and I actually take advantage of this behavior and move the mouse to the edge on purpose. That way I have to move my hand half an inch less. Yeah, I'm that lazy. :razz:

I've had the greatest success so far by manually applying the patch to the wine source code and then compiling by hand, rather than use a hacked dinput.dll. Dinput.dll stopped working for me at some point after I upgraded wine, and the patch will continue to work for a long time, as it only modifies a few lines in the patched file. It also means that the mouse-warp behavior can be easily modified via regedit to suit my needs. Currently, both Warband and Mount & Blade run perfectly for me on Lucid with wine-1.1.43-249-g033bb8a
    compiled manually.
  3. Enhancing Horses (updated 26th Jan 2007)

Does anyone know if there are any plans by the devs to introduce some of these into the game? Considering what an essential part horses play in Mount & Blade, I'd love to see some of these in game.
  4. Troop Formations!

One interesting way to do formations would be that it's not a simple game of "I tell you to do this and you do it perfectly", but the success of the formations would depend on several factors- clearly, highly trained professional soldiers will be better at following and executing orders than a stray peasant. I propose that the success of a formation depends on your leadership skill, the size of the group you have ordered around, the training of each individual soldier in the group, how close the enemy is, and how high morale is. I think it could be integrated into overall better AI where your fellow warriors are more than just moving crash dummies that turn red when they get hit. If there is already a system for having most of these factors impact the "psychology" and battle performance of your soldiers, formations and how they work out would work very well, I think.

Maybe this is all unnecessarily complex, though.
  5. Warband in Linux

I had to change this line:

mpg123_feedseek(aad->mh, 0, SEEK_SET, NULL);

To this line:

mpg123_feedseek_64(aad->mh, 0, SEEK_SET, NULL);

In <wine src folder>/dlls/winemp3.acm/mpegl3.c

After that it would compile.

Can't say much about your performance problems as I do not have any idea what could be the cause.
  6. Warband in Linux

Odd. I recently upgraded to 10.04, and I can now run Warband flawlessly, whereas on 9.10 I had minor texture and sound problems. Am running wine-1.1.43-249-g033bb8a compiled manually with a mouse-warp patch applied.
Back
Top Bottom