Search results for query: *

1. Historical Nicknames

First two Norwegians I'm partial to:
    King Magnus the Barefoot - Allegedly got his name because he was forced to flee from a battlefield without his boots :grin:, and his son
    King Sigurd Jorsalfar - meaning Jerusalem-goer (as in Crusader). Not a very special name, I just love how it sounds.

And some Swedish ones:

Chtistian II the Tyrant - last king of the Kalmar Union and orderer of the Stockholm Bloodbath. A boring, obvious name, only worth mentioning because in Denmark he is known as "the Good" :wink:
    Magnus Barn-lock - Forbade the custom of peasants being forced to feed soldiers.
    Erik XI Lisp-and-limp - for obvious reasons. Poor boy, couldn't have had it easy.
    Gustav III the Drama King - well, actually it's the Theatre King (he brought culture to Sweden), but Drama King is much funnier.

And probably the best Royal nick-name of all time:
    King Pantsless

:grin:
  2. Was the use of atomic bombs on Japan by the US a war crime?

TMAN78 said:
    Apparently, I am classed as a "Psychopath."

Specificly because I have no morals.

Yeah, you wish. You're just a bratty little ******* to stupid to tell the difference.
  3. pantaloons, pantaloons, why to us do they look like bafoons??

Well, actually, they were trying to collect both golden and silver pantaloons as well as bronze pantalettes so they could craft the Big Metal Unit, so they would never have to fear any weapon ever again.
  4. What is the best empire during middle ages?

Subjects wanting or not wanting to live in an empire has nothing to do with whether it was an empire or not.

It's also a dumb comparison. The Mongols didn't need to build buildings like that, so they didn't. Compare instead their extensive messenger network, which was needed to hold their vast empire together. The world had never seen anything like it before, and didn't again until the modern age.

As for their barbarism... Well, considering that the Romans were, from a modern viewpoint, basically the most barbaric, uncivilized culture to have existed in Europe, that doesn't really say a lot. So they raped and pillaged. So did everybody else. Rome built her whole economy on raping and pillaging other lands. So the Mongols deliberately used horrifying tactics as psychological warfare. Romans routinely decimated their own armies just to instill some twisted form of morale-by-peer-pressure. Not to mention the damned crucifixions. Yet noone would deny that Rome was a great empire.
  5. What is the best empire during middle ages?

That Arab/Muslim empire, whatever they called it. Religious tolerance (well, more than most other places anyway :wink:), scientific mindset, damned cool geometric art. What if not civilization can make an Empire great?
  6. Spartans Alexander the Great

I used "country" because that's about as deep as the least common knowledge goes. That's what the quotation marks was about :wink:
  7. Spartans Alexander the Great

At the very least, knowing that Sparta was an old Greek "country", and that they were very militaristic, is common knowledge, even if any further specifics is not. Hence why people's conceptions of them is mislead by the movie; it fills out that blank-of-details, but it does it with false information. Thus, people will know less about the real Sparta if they base their knowledge on that movie. Which, I should add, one doesn't automatically do just because you don't know anything else about them, even if it's probably hard to not be influenced.
  8. Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

Turanien said:
    I'd rather just see his ass banned now.

His bull**** is so high and mighty.
    Not to mention that if you look at his stats, he appears to have no other reason for being on these forums except to further his bull**** agenda here in the "historical discussion" part.
  9. Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

ancalimon said:
    1: Ata does not only mean father but also "ancestor" and "lineage" in Turkish meaning my great grandmother is my ATA as well. Also it reentered Turkish true middle Arabic in the form of "AİT" which means "belonging to". So Swedish "ätt" is either from Turkic or Middle Arabic (which is what the Arabs made of Turkic)
    http://translate.google.com/#tr|en|ata

Or do you call your children your "ätt" as well?
    Yes, my children would belong to my "ätt". And as I said, it's derived from the Germanic/proto-Norse words for "property".
    And "re-entered" my ass. This just means it comes from Arabic, and you believe it "re-entered" because "All languages ARE TURKISH!!!" in your mind.

2: Göl also means a pool of water. (not necessarily large) in Turkic. The pools that are created by rain is an example to this.
    No, not that kind of pools - swimming pools, size wise.

3: Böri and Varg are the same words.  B and V sounds are phonetic substitutes.  Pronunciation of both words are very similar to "bury"
    Neup, "varg" sounds nothing like "bury". In fact, the only similar sound is the R.
    And B and V are not interchangeable in Swedish.

4: HAL >  Do you also use this word in this context?: without Halse (not having halse) : tired or sick. (in Turkish  halsiz: tired, bad condition)
    Not exactly, we use it in the same way as the English "health". Because they're derived from the same word. Which is Germanic, and Indo-European, not Turkish.

5: Tepe  also means "top" in Turkic. It entered to all of the languages that have it from Turkic. Even Mayan.
    Of course it did. :roll:
    Still doesn't mean "hill".

6: ŞEN also means fair in Turkic (but in a more festival like fair)
    "Fair" as in festival/market has got nothing to do with "fair" as in beautiful. Just like "skön" has got nothing to do with neither happiness, fun, or festivals.
  10. Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

Cèsar de Quart said:
    I'd like to know where do these Turkic words come from. The "Swedish" as well, because I can't find your counterparts, really. Some Swedish speaker, please clear this up.
    Your humble neighbourhood bulbous root to the rescue!

Except for "ätt", that you've already halfway cleared up; It is slightly related to "ancestors", but it's meaning is better translated to "lineage". It is, however, derived from Germanic/really Old Norse words for "property" and "belonging", i.e. what family you belonged to. Has absolutely nothing to do with fathers or anything like that, though.

• Böri (kurt) – varg : wolf
    Varg mean wolf (compare wargs/worgs), yes, but I have no idea what relation he sees between it and the Turkish word. There's no resemblance between them whatsoever.

• Bağır (göğüs) – Bog :  chest, inner part of human, heart
    Bog is used for the frontal underside of animals, and for the underparts of ships. It is not used for humans, nor does it's meaning translate very well to "chest" (or, looking up the two Turkish words, "bussum" or "breast", which is what they seem to mean). In fact, it's original meaning was most likely "shoulder/s".

• Göm – Göm : bury
    The usage of "göm" in Swedish is "gömma" in imperative form. And it does not mean "bury", it means "hide". While you can hide something by burying it, it has no other relation. It is derived from Germanic words for "take care of" or "keep".

• Siper – Spär : bulwark, aegis, shield
    Oh god no. "Spärr" means "hinder" or "something blocking your way". The Swedish word for "shield" is "sköld". "Spärr/a" can not be used as a word meaning "protect [whatever]".

• Hal – Hälsa  :  health, condition
    "Hälsa" means "health", but only "condition" in the sense of "the condition of one's health". The connection to "health" should also be obvious, as it's they both have the same Germanic root.

• Hâkan – Håkan :  common Turkish and Swedish given name.
    While true, they do not mean the same thing.

• Kağan – Konung (kung) : king
    "Konung", means king, yes, and it's directly related to German "könig", or, well, the English "king". "Kung" is derived from "Konung"

• Hej – Hej : hi
    Heh, yeah, compare English "hey", sounding exactly the same.

• Hayda – Hejdå : the word told to animals to make them go
    Not at all. It's "hej då", meaning "good bye", or more literally; "Hi/hey, then". While you can say it to animals when you leave them, you do not say it to "make them go".

• Kap – Kop : cup
    It's "kopp", and just like "cup", it's believed to be derived from Latin. Or, compare German "kopf".

• Kiler – Källare : cellar
    The relation to "cellar" is obvious, just replace the c with this kind of sound, add an e to the end and that's it. Compare German "keller" and Latin "cellare".

• Köy – Koja : village
    Heh, no, not even close. "Koja" is a word for a small house/shack/hut. Not even close to any of the words for "village".

• Mana – Mena : meaning
    Mena = Mean, Meaning = Mening.

• Şen – Shön : happy
    As "shön" does not exist, I assume you mean "skön", which does not mean "happy" either way. It means "beatiful"/"fair", "comfortable", or in slang is roughly an equivalent of "cool" or "sweet".

• Su – Sjö : water
    "Sjö" is the Swedish equivalent of "sea", also used as "lake".

• Tepe – Top : hill
    Once again, not at all. "Top" means, surprisingly, "top". It's use a poor alternative to hill or mountains is derived from the fact that those two things have (high) tops.

• Peder – Fader : father
    I believe Cèsar already explain this relationship.

• Kaz – Gås : Goose (also bird in general in Turkish)
    Yes, "gås" means goose, but I can't see how any of them resemble "kaz". The only thing the English and Swedish words have in common with the Turkish is an "s" sound at the end.

• Kule – Külle : tower
    First of all, "ü" does not exist in Swedish. Secondly, "kulle" means "hill", not "tower".

• Gülle – Kula : dumb-bell
    "Kula" means "ball" (Canon ball = Kanon-kula). The only connection I can think of between "dumb-bell" and "kula" is that in older days, weight lifting equipment used to have balls on them instead of disks. Otherwise, there's nothing.

• Erlik – Ärlig : honesty, masculinity, God of Underword
    "Ärlig" means "honest" (ärlighet = honesty), but it has no relation what so ever to masculinity. And, as most people probably now, the only Swedish deity of an "Underworld" is the goddess Hel, ruler of the realm Hel, were all people who did not die in battle supposedly went.

• Öküz – Oxe  : ox
    Obviously the same word as "ox", with the same root.
    [/list]

In conclusion, the only word on that list I can not explain is "Göl", which while it does not exactly mean "lake", it does mean "(large) pool". Even if we pretend that there can be no other explanation for it than it being Turkish, one out thousands are not really something to brag about. So yeah, ancalimon, not a whole lot of "Turkish" words in my language.

As for you others, who are those I in fact wrote this to (as ancalimon is too delusional to react with anything other than "lol germanic is turkish can't you see the turth lol"), I hope this at least will make it certain to you that there is no way what he calls "Turkish" words are actually from that origin. Well, I guess we only need experience to realise that, but now you have evidence as well.
    Lastly, I am also sorry for the post being such a mess. Someone schooled in layout really should be able to do better, but I guess that's what skill rust does to you. :wink:
  11. Speech of Captain Luka Đurasković

Obviously their answer to being invaded was to dress really sexy. Those Italians will never forget it!
  12. Spartacus and the revolt of Roman Slaves.

Why not look to those Sicilian slave revolts that actually - if temporarily - succeeded? If my, admittedly thin, knowledge of history is to be trusted, they ended up as petty kingdoms, which Rome swallowed up again as soon as she rearranged her forces.

I mean, even if we hypotize that S could take Rome, could he possibly have kept it? The heart of the empire, unser the foot of a slave? It's simply too unfeasible, at least to me. Maybe, like the Sicilians, he could have carves out a small kingdom/country in a place further away from Rome itself, but even then I have trouble imagining it lasting very long.
  13. Istanbul? - Konstantinopolis? - Byzantium?

ancalimon said:
    No people who created Sweden are related to Traks and Goths.
    So, no actual proof, then. Just that they sound slightly alike.
  14. Istanbul? - Konstantinopolis? - Byzantium?

ancalimon said:
    Found another thing. This is İpsala in Edirne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0psala
    http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0psala

It was founded by Trak people (Türük in my opinion, Thracians in others'. According to me the difference between Türük and Thrak is cosmetic. The important part is the Thr~Tur part; the rest is suffix)

The same same can be found in Sweden:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppsala
    http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppsala
    And all you have to support this theory is, once again, that they sound slightly alike? That's truly great science. Totally convinced me.
  15. Istanbul? - Konstantinopolis? - Byzantium?

Modern words that sound slightly like Turkish. Completely disregarding that just a few hundred years ago they would be completely different, and even less alike. Aa opposed to, you know, how they would be if they were actually related.
  16. Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

I know it's hopeless trying to explain things to you, Ancalimon, but I have to say this anyway: The peace signs isn't Turk or Turkish in any way, it's spells N and D in semaphore. And that stands for Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. You see, the peace sign isn't an actual peace sign to begin with. It was designed in 1958 for the purpose of being the symbol of an anti-nuclear march. That's all there's to it. No ancient mysteries or conspiracies whatsoever.
  17. Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

ancalimon said:
    Also vay and abo used by all of the Turkic people. vay is also used by Swedish people too. Just like Turks, they say "vay vay vay"
    Never in my whole, utterly Swedish life have I heard anyone say something, or refer to a Swedish expression, even resembling that. Yet again you prove that you have absolutely no knowledge at all of what you're talking about, and are just pulling these "facts" out of your arse.
  18. Question About Brittania, mainly the Briton

Archonsod said:
    !!noice!! said:
    I'm not sure you've got the right language there. I'm Swedish, and I've never heard of the word "hjem", so unlike it's dialectal, or oldish-Swedish
    Well look at it this way, when do you think Swedish or anything similar was last spoken in the British isles?
    Well, that would explain it. The phrasing above made me think you were comparing two modern words, but if you weren't, I guess it's moot.
  19. Question About Brittania, mainly the Briton

Archonsod said:
    Even today, you tend to find that the dialects of Southern England are closer to German, while in the North (Yorkshire up) and coastal dialects of Scots there's a larger crossover with Scandinavian languages. Compare for example the Swedish "Hjem" with the Geordie "Hyam".
    I'm not sure you've got the right language there. I'm Swedish, and I've never heard of the word "hjem", so unlike it's dialectal, or oldish-Swedish, I'm pretty sure it's one of the other tongues. The spelling (contra the "sound picture) seems to suggest so as well, but it could be an exception for all I know.
Back
Top Bottom