Search results for query: *

1. Marmalade

whats with the hideout missions?

The hideout missions were made a lot tougher at low levels with the last patch - you'll normally have some troops with very good armour, and since you're on foot you can't rely on couching to even the odds. I've even failed in the first mission (kill the four bandits) before now when I've attack with my sellswords and run into a Bearclaw Bezerker.

Basically, you have to go in with the best troops you can (it will normally take the topmost troops on the party screen), but rarely it gets so bad that I have to lower the damage to survive the attack, much as I hate to do that.
  2. Marmalade

[MEDIA] Prophesy of Pendor Screenshots

Take screenshots ingame with Ctrl+Insert.

Obviously, it's a good idea to turn off unit banners, text and the like under options, otherwise they'll clutter up your screen.

Warband stores them under "Documents" or possibly "My Documents".

the path should be something like:

(Profile name)...\Documents\Mount&Blade Warband\Screenshots

There will be a Prophesy of Pendor 3.42 folder in there with all you screenshots.
  3. Marmalade

Prophesy of Pendor 4.0 Developer Notes

radaway said:
    I wonder if there are going to be any AI changes, is that even possible?

See, the thing is that PoP 3 already has an AI far advanced of Native - I was playing through another mod recently and was eventually frustrated by the way every battle turned out with exactly the same pattern (cavalry charge into each other and die, then the infantry and archers run towards each other, and run backwards when they have reinforcements, lather, rinse, repeat).

Treebeard has mentioned that Vicky will be updated for PoP 4 - indeed, with the new factions she'll have to be, since it's mostly based on scripting. What I'm actually hoping for is that the PoP 4 factions are *more* distinctive this time around, and fight with vastly different styles. The Melitine preview seemed to point in that direction - a macedonian-like hammer/anvil, light lancers-and-phalanx approach, not counting the cataphract honour troops!
  4. Marmalade

Best order

Yeah, but to be honest, noosers can do what he wants.
  5. Marmalade

Thanks! It's dead simple really - I tend to use Paint.net, since it's lightweight, quick, and I'm no artist.

Usually I desaturate and brighten a little, depending on the image and the available light and details. Then, use the "Soften Portrait" effect, which is a slight blurring, "warming" colour adjustment and brightness amendment.

You can lose information if you're not careful, and it needs decent light to make it look good - night scenes rarely turn out well.

I did a series for TLD 3.0, which I think turned out better. They're on their forums, but linking would be rude :smile:

EDIT
    Oh - it's probably worth pointing out that I'm using the "Realistic Colors" mod, which desaturates and changes the contrast on the Native textures.
  6. Marmalade

The Devoured

pFXlp.jpg

Dread Legion Infantry

PsCQP.jpg

Ravenstern archer line

vJofd.jpg

Defending the walls

Me3Bj.jpg

Crossbows on the parapet

RHnHR.jpg

Hard-won victory.

jfhEV.jpg
  7. Marmalade

Best order

Best order?

Charge!

But seriously, Shadow Legion are damned scary.
  8. Marmalade

Why do people enjoy this so much?

The game is significantly harder - there's no simple "get enough Swadian knights and charge" option here.

The background/setting/items/characters are all at least on par with Taleworlds, and often better.

The factions fight in different and interesting ways (although I would like to see more variety - I have high hopes for PoP 4.

But most importantly... the battle AI is far superior to Native, interesting to fight against.

I've said it before, but with games such as M&B, Total War and similar, you spend most of your actual time fighting randomly generated battles. Most of the time these swiftly become boring and predictable. VI shakes this up significantly, and improves the one area that needs improvement more than any other - you can have the most beautiful horse textures in the world, but it won't make the game any less dull.

I really have trouble playing Native or any other mods now - VI is what makes Warband complete for me.
  9. Marmalade

MOD Quality

The background, lore, new items and so forth are all great... they've clearly been put into place with a strict idea of how they are to fit, not just thrown in because someone suggested a cool feature that they should have. More importantly, there's clearly defined thought into the actual game design, allowing for an end game which doesn't just peter out as M&B's does, with the Noldor, speciality spawns and long term goals. I also helps that the game varies significantly on each play through.

However, the single most important feature of this mod for me is the battle AI.

In Mount and Blade, similar to the Total War series for one, the vast majority of your actual playing time is spent in randomly generated battles. In both M&B and Total War, these quickly become monotonous as the AI will use similar ineffectual tactics and the player will surpass them very quickly. VI shakes this up just enough to be fantastic, and extends interest in this area massively.

Basically, it's been well designed and well managed, catering to the strengths of it's base (M&B) and adapting to it's weaknesses.
  10. Marmalade

Controversy

Controversy increases mostly when you're the Marshall - every battle lost, siege, raid etc. hurts you, since you're supposed to be in charge of defending the realm, and you're not doing your job.

I was once up to 97 controversy before I noticed, but I resigned the position and it dropped to around twenty within a couple of days. Victories seem to help keep it low, but nothing dropped it as fast as not being responsible for the failures of the realm.

11. Marmalade

Please remove bows from Adventurers

HunterAlpha1 said:
    actually, you can bring a knife to a gunfight and win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5oDEgNXog8

Oh this chap, he amuses me - he has another video where he's clearly in his (mother's?) back garden, and he's creating this fantasy of just walking along in a park, fully tooled up with an assortment of knives... and then saying "There's my enemy!", who obviously has a pistol. So he brings death and carnage to cardboard cutouts, who really haven't offended anyone.

I feel sorry for the cardboard :sad:

12. Marmalade

Haiku PoP

Thus spake Madigan,
    A prophecy incomplete.
    A hero rises?
  13. Marmalade

POP 3 Cheats - Warning: May spoil or crash your game!

Are you sure you're running the correct battlesizer? There are different methods for M&B and Warband.

Also, I think you have another step to do if yours is a Steam copy.
  14. Marmalade

What Was Your Personal Favorite "Wtf?" Moment?

There's been so many for this excellent mod - in particular the battle AI, which has ruined most other mods and Native for me.

I think the occasion which made me smile the most was when I was running around with a smallish elite force (50 Lady Valkyries or so - it was pretty far into the game, so I could afford such luxuries), picking off bandits and generally harassing the enemy.

I came across an army of Adventurers, who outnumbered me, but since most of their numbers were farmers and the like, I didn't anticipate too much of a challenge.

This detachment was basically a "Follow Me!.... Charge!" army, since they were pretty statted up, and thus this battle began in much the same way. The map was pretty hilly, but it wouldn't pose a major problem.

Whilst I was sorting out my girls, I could see that the Adventurers were charging in a little too quickly for comfort, so I drew up on a decent hill and got ready to sweep past and charge in.

Then, to my horror, I realised what they were doing. Over the crest of the hill came, not the Adventurer cavalry as I expected, but all of the masses of farmers charging towards me - clearly they were going to die, but what this meant was that my cavalry would not have enough space to get up to charge speed - the farmers were being used as a charge soak, so that the Adventurer cavalry could counter-charge my Knights whilst they hacked the farmers to pieces. There wasn't enough room or time to relocate, so I had to suffer the ignominy of being out-thought by Mount and Blade...

I won the battle, but suffered far more injuries and losses than I should have.
  15. Marmalade

POP 3 Cheats - Warning: May spoil or crash your game!

Both of these tweaks (the cav-inf and archer-inf) work brilliantly with PoP. Sometimes it doesn't work exactly right, but it doesn't cause any problems and isn't any worse than the default.

Now, if only there was a fix for the auto-dismount, this would be perfect.
  16. Marmalade

Caption Contest

I have no idea how this happened.

aeiTV.jpg
  17. Marmalade

EU Online Campaign I – Looking for an Adjudicator!

Extra support is wise - but we do run into the granular problem - more numbers favour the side with more support.

I think this may still be the better option though, although I imagine +2 supports is more appropriate than +1 (i.e., 11 vs 8, rather than 9 vs :cool: - this is just going by the testing that we have done on Castle 4, which may not hold for the other castles. The imbalance is likely to be more pronounced there, simply as it is a lot smaller.

Shortened round times could also help, and be easily implemented. Five minutes is a simple number to balance around.

I'd be happy for all sieges to take place on the same map, it's a shame not to use the extra assets, but if it makes for a better game I'm all for it.

I'm not sure how we'll determine the balance though.
  18. Marmalade

Balancing that would be extremely hard, and I imagine that the balance might have to be done for each castle, as there are such vast differences between them.

Equally, I'd like to stay away from a heavily-modded approach as much as possible, for plenty of reasons, but not least of which is that everyone's on the same playing field.

The siege mode as it was, worked really well. I don't know what we're going to do about it now - but there must be a simple way to rebalance this, surely?
  19. Marmalade

Plazek said:
    This is only 6:1 or 10:1 if the attackers then respawn on the walls or soemthing which they don't.

Ah yes, quite correct - but the point still holds. It doesn't take thirty seconds to get to the walls (on Castle 4 at least, which is where our testing has been), so this still alters the balance significantly in the other direction, especially when you consider that the defenders can and will spawn approximately the same distance away from their place of death, in the opposite direction.

The point is that the spawning ratio has changed by an entire third, which completely changes the balance in siege maps, at least competitively. I imagine this is much better ratio for public servers, but then public servers also seem to be full of a large number of people who don't seem to quite grasp the concept of "siege", from either side. I feel that this may unbalance competitive play to an extent which may be severely un-fun.
  20. Marmalade

Plazek said:
    Sounds like an epic fail on behalf of the defenders to me.

I'd be more than happy to suggest arranging a friendly scrim with you guys if you wanted to try this out.

You may well be correct, and I may be whining about nothing - but from first impressions this looks like it has thrown the balance out of the window.
Back
Top Bottom