Search results for query: *

1. Help With Cavalry

Thank you everyone for your help here. I was very new to this game and I'm starting to learn (I think I finally found a character build I like. )
    Playing more I began to realize exactly why cavalry has such an effect. No they don't cause many casualties against infantry generally. It's that they break infantry focus and formations. Meaning if a sufficient wave hits your formation breaks up enough that the attacking infantry is now engaging small clumps of your boys rather than a proper formation. Lol I've started to do this against 2-3 to 1 odds against largely infantry forces. They wind up trickling in instead of all at once!
    You should get more two hander, polearm, spear and archer units imo. And try thick (5-6 men deep) square formations.

If you don't want more shock & archer troops, try even more (6,8,...) thicker square formations.

This was the most helpful comment in the thread.... I couldn't figure out how the AI created such deep formations in the campaign mentioned in this thread. it's good to know the game incorporated total war's mechanics in commanding troops! lol.
    The funny thing is that I had learned the limits of the shield wall formation when my tier five infantry would lose to tier 1-3 swarming in with 1-1.2 larger forces. It took me a few tries to realize... What was happening is the enemy would boil AROUND the shield wall as they hit it and the guys on the side would be killed by the flankers. This is because the shield wall is such a compact formation. Not knowing how to lengthen it I stuck in line unless I need to absorb lots of missiles. Moreover what I wound up doing is splitting formations so I have 25 man infantry platoons to maneuver and increase frontage further. In the end I'd do the wrapping not the enemy lol.

Imperial cavalry is not that bad if you have Manavlions, Hired Pikes, Veteran Falxmen, etc. They have to charge to do much damage and quickly get bogged down especially if you can use terrain like a hill or forest.

The real annoyance is fighting 1000 HA when 400 are tier 4 & 5.

Try getting a couple hundred Elite Cataphracts and going into Battania expecting to ride over their infantry... it doesn't happen unless they have only recruits.

TBH I had discounted Battania right out of the gate.... Their faction in Warband was the absolute worst, unable to win any equal fight simply by the virtue of the really weird damage mechanics for spears. To make them work you had to tell your infantry to "charge" the cavalry at the exact right moment or their spears wouldn't work.
    Spears actually don't appear to be total garbage now (though for some reason it takes 45 minutes to thrust one....) so I gave battania another try. So far? Not.... terrible. It seems that all their quality infantry is buckler and spear? That and archers.

You can kill cavalry with anything. Cavalry, although not as impotent as it was in past versions, is still not that good at killing things. Unless they actually have an equal amount of Cav and can just bulldoze you over, your other units will wear down Cav as they charge in to attack. using you own cav and HA to keep them busy (or kill them outright) will help you ranged focus on killing things.

It's better to fight single lords as a merc. The AI is garbage in live battles so what appears to be a equal fight will actually end up much harder because your allied parties will mostly trade off or suicide.

Infantry is pretty useless. You can just use ranged units in their place and it's a huge improvement.

As a general rule i've avoided ranged because the enemy has these things called shields. I made an archer character and learned quite quickly. Useful against idiot bandits. Garbage against an actual army because 90% of the hits are going into a shield. That said.... Archers or crossbows?
  2. Help With Cavalry

So the Mount and Blade game mechanics in truth have been in the works now for.... a very very very very long time. I know that at least some effort has to have been made to balance this... Is there any counter to cavalry other than your own even larger cavalry force in Bannerlord? It was pretty...
Back
Top Bottom