Search results for query: *

1. unreal wars

Sounds good, but unfortunately matey.... There's this thing called (forgive me for uttering the name) - consoles. And they aren't smart enough for real politics or strategy, or anything else that'd make a good Mount&Blade game.

Kingdoms looting their own villages
    LMAO is this really happening?
  2. Slowly losing interest

Different games appeal to different people.

I've had sufficient engagement to justify the price.
    As I said, scraping the bottom of the barrel for arguments to defend this game. "Sufficient engagement" = "it's just enough". This mentality among gamers is why the gaming is so trash nowadays.

All the games I mentioned survived for decades not because they were "just enough", it's because they were awesome. While this game even lacks what it's predecessors had. How in the world do you make a sequel, that's missing content from earlier games?
  3. Slowly losing interest

Disappointment = expecting to buy a lifetime’s engagement for the price of a computer game.
    All the classics:
    GTA, Warcraft III, WoW, AC, CS, Halo, etc. almost 2 decades now, and the games are still relevant. Skyrim too.

It's a silly "argument" from a person, who's scraping the bottom of the barrel for arguments to defend a game, that doesn't even surpass WB, despite coming out a decade later. And having been in development for so long.
  4. Roadmap? Features in the future? Anything?

Making this game available on consoles was a mistake. The first time I heard this, I knew where this was going. TW, why not downgrade it further to make it available on mobile? At this point, why not just do it?
  5. How to give a "soul" to this game?

Mount & Blade, in all of its versions, covers at least 3 distinct groups of gamers, with plenty of sub-groups and crossovers to confuse the issue.

The first group would be the FPS combat players, who are also the prime (if not the only) multi-player participants. Their primary interests are in better combat mechanics and animations, better framerates, and nicer graphics. This should have been a "slam dunk" for Taleworlds. Thanks to balance issues, interest in multi-player is WAY down.

The second group would be the RPG players, for whom the action element is an essential but not overriding concern. Their main interests, however, are in better dialog, more meaningful effects of player choices, and more distinct and interesting (not "more overpowered") NPCs, or in short, a more "living" world, with better graphics a major concern for some (more "immersion") but not others (possibly requiring a bit more "imagination" on the part of the player). A few pieces of this were already in place in Warband, and more was promised, but instead most of it has been removed or broken in Bannerlord.

The third group would be the Strategy players, for whom diplomacy, the world economy, fief management, and tactical combat would all be important. Making the outcome of major inter-faction battles more meaningful, improving the economic side (such as a world economy, local pricing and availability, and items being produced by craftsmen in towns rather than springing up out of thin air, ESPECIALLY when troops are created or upgraded) would certainly help. Troops (especially high-level) and their equipment should not an inexhaustible resource for the AI or for villages, and over-recruiting should weaken your economy (which doesn't matter at the moment because the player gets more than enough money from loot and Smithing certain items, and the AI doesn't use money). The AI also needs to be more willing to come to more rational terms (we may be down to our last castle, all of our armies are defeated, and we're at war with two other factions, but we're demanding that YOU pay US thousands for a peace deal that we'll inevitably break in a month), rather than starting yet another pointless war just because the Random Number Generator said so.

I suspect that MOST players have at least some degree of interest in every one of these aspects, although the balance will undoubtedly be drastically different from player to player. Unfortunately, in its efforts to make a "shinier" game, improvements in the RPG and Strategy directions have been minimal, and some former elements have even been removed. On top of that, the balance isn't there for multi-player. In essence, this game fails to live up to its predecessors in ALL of these dimensions.

Instead of turning this game into something INTERESTING, we'll likely get another patch which addresses a couple of clipping issues, as well as some optimization to help stutter problems. The sandbox will still be empty, but it will look prettier.
    The only thing, that TW actually worked on, though, are the graphics. And for me, as well as (probably) many others, that's the least important aspect of a game. In most other aspects, however, this game is inferior to it's predecessors.

What I wanted here, is basically Warband (with all the expansions like VC) updated and brought to modern gaming scene, supporting a larger world, larger battles, more interactive and detailed environments, updated physics... And, at least, somewhat more detailed politics, courtship and strategy. If mods managed it, so could TW, being as big as they are now.

And they could do this. But they needed this game as simple as possible, because they wanted to port this game to consoles... LMAO Imagine screwing over your primary target platform audience to bring this game to consoles... A kind of game, that would never properly transition to consoles...

And then rumors about TW working on some other game... Instead of perfecting their signature franchise... The company's at freefall.
  6. How to give a "soul" to this game?

Soul?

How about making a good game, that's not only properly balanced, but actually surpasses it's predecessors in more than just graphics? It's 2022 and TW is no longer a small indie company. Imma just reiterate something I said before:
    • More detailed politics:
      • Alliances: trade, military, marriage, temporary truce to curb power of another realm, etc;
      • Realm splits: rebellions, death of a ruler and resulting power vacuum, civil wars, betrayals, lands sold to other realms, etc;
      • Covert ops: secret alliances between monarchs, bribes, assassinations/kidnappings of nobles/prominent figures, betrayals, etc;
      • Ability to start and end wars by assassinating the king.
      • Ability to force a realm or fortress to surrender:
        • Kidnap a member of royal family (or other prominent figure) to force a ruler to submit;
        • Starve a fortress by cutting off their supply lines and exits;
        • Cripple a realm's economy by cutting off it's supply lines, sabotaging caravans, convincing other realms not to trade;
        • Destroy a king's reputation among the populace;
      • etc.
    • More detailed real-time strategy:
      • Proper pre-battle troops deployment with an option to get an overhead view;
      • Ability to choose which troops, in particular, to include in the battle (if there's a limit to how many you can include);
      • Ability to tell different parts of your troops, or even specific ones, exactly which targets to attack and which ones to ignore;
      • Ability to get into overhead view (pause screen) at any point of the battle and order your troops around (commands will be carried out once battle is unpaused);
      • etc.
    • More detailed courtship:
      • NPC nobles with actual ambitions and sense of competition;
      • Ability to distinguish yourself (on battlefield, in trade, in strategy mind) and prove yourself more worthy than some NPC for some position (marshal, king, some noble title, a friend, a lover, etc.);
      • NPCs holding grudges, that may take them as far as betray their realm and hunt you down with another army, or go after your friends/family;
      • Bold NPCs unafraid to insult you, or your family, publicly. Your reaction will decide what the other NPCs think of you;
      • Dueling lords over an insult;
      • Dueling lords over a lady;
      • Ability for NPCs and players alike to hit on another's wife;
      • NPCs can even wage wars due to love afairs (love triangles, cheating, desire to impress a sadistic lady, etc);
      • Friend NPCs abandoning their duties to come to your aid, when you are in need of it (depends on personality);
      • Friend NPCs that helped you, but abandoned their duties, facing punishment. You can either try to save their skin, or abandon them. Both could have dire ramifications for your standing in the realm.
      • etc.
    • More detailed 3rd person combat (individual):
      • Dodging;
      • Crouching;
      • Better spear combat - spears could be held overhead, and used effectively at short distance;
      • Better spear combat - long spears can be used to hit enemy over the shoulder of friendly troops;
      • deflect&riposte - precisely timed and directed attack can deflect opponent's weapon and damage the opponent, at the same time;
      • etc.
    • More detailed field combat:
      • Properly working formations (effective shield walls, turtle/testudo formation, smooth transition into attack);
      • Properly working spears (spear bracing against cavalry, phalanx/rows of spears against infantry);
      • Properly working cavalry (proper charge formations, that don't break);
      • Archers not being OP;
      • Ability to use terrain to your advantage:
        • Fall trees/rocks/build barricades to interfere with cavalry charges;
        • Drive enemy forces into a chokepoint when outnumbered.
    • Better Battle AI:
      • Uses proper formations, instead of just charging or sitting in map corner;
      • Uses terrain elevation and features (trees, other obstacles) to it's advantage;
      • Gives different target priorities to different troops (e.g. cavalry flanking towards archers, or to hit infantry formations from rear)
      • etc.
    • Additional immersion-increasing stuff, that existed in previous games:
      • Dog companions;
      • Hunting;
      • Ambushes - must be changed though. They were seemingly chance-based upon engaging an enemy in Viking Conquest. Which was annoying;
      • Feasts;
      • etc.
    If I saw these things, or at least like 90% of these, I'd consider the game good enough.
  7. Beta Patch Notes e1.7.2

They said they will postpone the release if they feel like it. So I think they will do just that.
    I'd say they should delay the release by a year or more. But it seems, that most people in this forums (and community in general) are content to just have a product, that's inferior to prior games, released anyways. Cuz most of them are content with mediocrity or even subpar products... Or, some of these people still blindly, stupidly believe, that unpaid modders will fix something, that needs fundamental changes to the game... Kek

Even looking at Warband, most of it's once-big mods are not updated, and haven't been for years. And most of the overhaul mods are terribly inbalanced with troops and equipment. And Bannerlord? Bannerlord doesn't have the fraction of a modder-base, that Warband did.
  8. Sid Meier warns the games industry about monetisation

I spent a ton of money on a new computer to play Cyberpunk and ended not buying it (and still havent) due to early reviews. Hell, I remebr getting wood from the first teaser of Duke Nukem Forever and never purchasing it due to reviews.

M&B and then Warband are the reason I bought the EA for Bannerlord. I'm old, my tastes or purchasing habits aren't having any impact on the gaming industry. Bannerlord is the only game I've played for more than 10 hours since it was released. I enjoy it but I understand the criticism. I do get a ton of enjoyment watching people complain though. I like watching you guys bang your head against the wall repeatedly while you expect a different outcome. If I dislike a game and it never gets a second thought or another penny from me.

I'll pre-order their space game that I'll never play just to p!ss you off.

I also pre-ordered Victrix Norman Cavalry that cost me more than this game.

I'll be painting them while you are crying about not having fun. Then maybe I'll play a little Bannerlord this weekend and enjoy myself.
    Similar story here. Built a new (my first) computer to play Bannerlord and DayZ. But ended up not buying Bannerlord, cuz it just seems like it's worse than the previous games, in many ways. And seeing the developing rates, as well as TW's attitude, it seems like they aren't going to add any more real features to this game until release. And this game has a LONG way to go before it becomes a worthy sequel, and worth the money, in my opinion.
  9. How is everyone's morale these days?

In 2-3 years the graphics will start to look outdated, so then thóse have to be upgraded, then the engine has to accommodate that, and now you're stuck in an endless cycle until you run out of money. I've seen this happen to other EA games (like 7 days to die, which has needed like 5 graphics overhauls JUST to stay on par during it's 8 year development cycle. There is a good reason that games tend to be developed within 3-6 years. If taleworlds takes much longer they'll have missed the boat.
    So it's better to release unfinished games, that are nowhere near their potential? I cannot speak for the entire community, but I've seen plenty of people also voicing an opinion, that they'd rather wait some more time before this game is released, than have it released unfinished.

Also, graphics don't matter at all. Too much focus on graphics is one of the things, that's driving the entire AAA game industry to s**t.

Gameplay > Story >>>>> ... >>>>> graphics.
  10. How is everyone's morale these days?

Not particularly high bro. can't really explain why I dislike Bannerlord. Sure, plenty of far more experienced, people far more involved with the community and with far more personal and emotional investment in the series have created giant lists of missing features, deep critiques of TW's design goals in both SP and MP, the artstyle, the combat etc, but for me I think it's far more subjective and emotionally driven than rational.

To me, Bannerlord just doesn't feel cohesive at all. It feels like a hodge-podge of various different genres smashed together with the M&B title and aesthetic resemblances to the prior title. You can say "that's just what M&B 1 and Warband was," and I guess you'd be right, but like, Warband and the original felt like a lot of systems put together that were almost effortlessly coherent - the way the systems interacted in those games was insanely compelling to me, and was the primary reason I've sunk a ridiculous amount of time into them.

The transition from single-man combatant, to merchant, to battlefield commander, to rudimentary statesmen, hell, all 4 at the same time, felt cool, refreshing and original - all thanks to a strong compromise between excellent combat, solid RPG mechanics that do the job and a functioning economy. But in Bannerlord, because it's a battle simulator canvas with a diluted, very light cover of RPG paint, it feels like the game devalues the interaction between all the different systems in favour of endless, identical battles. And I thought this was because the game was unfinished and was lacking the RPG mechanics and the robust economy to keep the compromises of Warband's design intact - it'll get better, along with the new features to enrich this interplay I thought.

But we're nearing two years into the EA dev cycle (almost the length of a prog rock album), and not much has changed. The loop is still the same, the grind is ok, and the economy and all the other ancillary features are half-implemented at best. Worse for me, is it feels like this game isn't what I wanted it to be - it's very much still an ad-hoc battle simulator and its clear this is the direction the game is going. It just lost me along the way.
    I think, that this game should not be released yet. I think, that it needs 2 - 3 more years of development (and I'd gladly wait). Adding all the missing features from previous games, as well as adding new features to further expand the game. Balancing the troops properly. Fixing and polishing everything, that needs it.

As is, I see this game as only half-way done, if even that. It's like a demo of what it could be.
  11. How is everyone's morale these days?

I also think there is a gap between this forum community and the steam reviews/Reddit. This community is definitely more negative, but if they don’t see that reflected in steam scores I guess they just shrug?
    It's not being "negative", it's being critical, passionate about the game and actually wanting this game to be as good as it can be. And this game does have an incredible potential. Merging elements of RTS and 3rd person RPG gameplay like this was never done before, and this has potential to surpass major RTS and RPG titles.

And seeing this potential being wasted by an unwilling company is... just sad. It's just sad too see, that Warband is still better than BL in almost every way. And it's more than 10 years older...
  12. Serious issue with gameflow

If they turtle I shoots them. If the attack I shoots them. I don't lose many troops because I shoots them. Shoots them real good. Try to hit them uh oh you lose troops.
    But also the more troops you have, the more chance for **** ups. Having say 100-200 élite troops you can control very well in battle well but when you're trying to lead a big army with kitchen sink troops all over the place it becomes a cluster ****.
    Oh yeah, because cheesing with OP archers is so interesting... But that's apparently the 1 and only tactic of BL.

Oh, right, it's the 1 and only tactic after massively outnumbering your opponent.

Key to winning BL battles: soviet style or cheese
  13. How is everyone's morale these days?

Just waiting for release, still keeping hope (probably delusional at this point), that somehow this game will become good by the time it releases.
  14. What happened to Bannerlord Tweaks?

You obviously read the sentence, but it went right back out. Coding, modelling, sound design is not something you just zap in existence, the price of mods is modders free time they could use on other things. If you think mods are easy to make, go on and make on.
    I never said mods are easy to make, but they are free, as they must be.

Yes, a game you paid not full AAA price
    Irrelevant. It's the price devs chose. If people paid it, people have every right to demand quality. (And btw, this game DOES have a AAA price, even though it's not even fully released... KEK)

[...] fact mount and blade relies on slow progress to build up it's game.
    I wish i could turn into level 50 as soon as i picked my character [...] but [...] it would ruin the game flow as how the devs intended it.
    Does this imply, that there's not much to do once you reach higher levels? That sounds like bad game design.
  15. What happened to Bannerlord Tweaks?

Nobody could possibly have fun with this game at native XP progression levels, which can only be reasonably leveled by mortal combat - not training or even tournament combat. You shouldn't have to personally kill more people than Ghengis Khan in order to git gud when your character backstory involves archery practiced since childhood.
    hes-right-you-know.jpg

I already paid money to buy the game. It's not my or the modders' responsibility to keep making up for the fact that it's dog ****.
    preach-brother.jpg

7G2q.gif

Sounds to me you should step in and update then. Coding this stuff isn't free.
    Just because you want the game to be different due to the fact you're bad doesn't mean you're entitled to it.
    Huh? Mods aren't free? Since when, lol? Do you even understand what a mod is? And demanding quality from something you paid for isn't entitlement. It's common f***ing sense, m8.

images
  16. Where's this "hope" stuff coming from?

This is Bannerlord as it will be released, as what remains from their roadmap are banner bearers and various fixes across many features and this should keep Taleworlds busy for a few more months. If you don't like 1.7.0 you'll never like vanilla Bannerlord.
    If this really is the case, I'll pass Bannerlord. Which sucks, cuz big reason for building a new PC for me WAS Bannerlord...

Even with these new 1.7.0 changes, WB is still a superior game overall... At a fraction of BL's price.
  17. Have we Reached the Point of Passive Acceptance and Disappointed Resignation with Bannerlord?

I´ve reached the stage of acceptance that Bannerlord won´t be the game TW advertised back then and what I´ve hoped for. I just want it to be "over". TW should give us the few things they´ve announced and let modders take over to finish the game.

But I still think it´s funny that there are still some guys here who make good suggestions that still didn´t learn that their suggestions are worthless and they won´t get more than the usual "I´ll forward this to the devs LOL" answer.
    I still think it's funny that people think mods will fix anything if the studio didn't. Especially when modders are limited as they are. Those people, who are still giving suggestions, are more rational than those of you putting all your hope in mods.
  18. Bannerlord Machinima

Man, you surely sound like a negative Nancy!
    I don't know what time it is where you are, but you should have a cup of coffee or a shot of something or whatever it takes to chill you out a little.
    Did you wake up today and thought to yourself "you know what, I'm just gonna be a d1ck today...that's exactly what I wanna do...be a d1ck".
    Cheeses!!!
    I provided legitimate criticism both to TW and to this man. I was honest. That's a lot better than saying "good job".
  19. Bannerlord Machinima

How ironic it is, that this cinematic portrays a siege - one of the fundamental parts of the game, that nevertheless, is not fixed to this day.

As for the video itself... What is it supposed to show? A siege? You mentioned you want to show a story of a certain character, but I see no story. Just a siege in multiple slow-mo angles.
  20. Diplomacy, War, Relations, Envoys, Kingdoms, Alliances and Trade

Imma just drop dis here:
    • More detailed politics:
      • Alliances: trade, military, marriage, temporary truce to curb power of another realm, etc;
      • Realm splits: rebellions, death of a ruler and resulting power vacuum, civil wars, betrayals, lands sold to other realms, etc;
      • Covert ops: secret alliances between monarchs, bribes, assassinations/kidnappings of nobles/prominent figures, betrayals, etc;
      • Ability to start and end wars by assassinating the king.
      • Ability to force a realm or fortress to surrender:
        • Kidnap a member of royal family (or other prominent figure) to force a ruler to submit;
        • Starve a fortress by cutting off their supply lines and exits;
        • Cripple a realm's economy by cutting off it's supply lines, sabotaging caravans, convincing other realms not to trade;
        • Destroy a king's reputation among the populace;
      • etc.
    • More detailed real-time strategy:
      • Proper pre-battle troops deployment with an option to get an overhead view;
      • Ability to choose which troops, in particular, to include in the battle (if there's a limit to how many you can include);
      • Ability to tell different parts of your troops, or even specific ones, exactly which targets to attack and which ones to ignore;
      • Ability to get into overhead view (pause screen) at any point of the battle and order your troops around (commands will be carried out once battle is unpaused);
      • etc.
    • More detailed courtship:
      • NPC nobles with actual ambitions and sense of competition;
      • Ability to distinguish yourself (on battlefield, in trade, in strategy mind) and prove yourself more worthy than some NPC for some position (marshal, king, some noble title, a friend, a lover, etc.);
      • NPCs holding grudges, that may take them as far as betray their realm and hunt you down with another army, or go after your friends/family;
      • Bold NPCs unafraid to insult you, or your family, publicly. Your reaction will decide what the other NPCs think of you;
      • Dueling lords over an insult;
      • Dueling lords over a lady;
      • Ability for NPCs and players alike to hit on another's wife;
      • NPCs can even wage wars due to love afairs (love triangles, cheating, desire to impress a sadistic lady, etc);
      • Friend NPCs abandoning their duties to come to your aid, when you are in need of it (depends on personality);
      • Friend NPCs that helped you, but abandoned their duties, facing punishment. You can either try to save their skin, or abandon them. Both could have dire ramifications for your standing in the realm.
      • etc.
    • More detailed 3rd person combat (individual):
      • Look no further than For Honor game.
      • Dodging;
      • Crouching;
      • Better spear combat - spears could be held overhead, and used effectively at short distance;
      • Better spear combat - long spears can be used to hit enemy over the shoulder of friendly troops;
      • deflect&riposte - precisely timed and directed attack can deflect opponent's weapon and damage the opponent, at the same time;
      • etc.
    • More detailed field combat:
      • Properly working formations (effective shield walls, turtle/testudo formation, smooth transition into attack);
      • Properly working spears (spear bracing against cavalry, phalanx/rows of spears against infantry);
      • Properly working cavalry (proper charge formations, that don't break);
      • Archers not being OP;
      • Ability to use terrain to your advantage:
        • Fall trees/rocks/build barricades to interfere with cavalry charges;
        • Drive enemy forces into a chokepoint when outnumbered.
    • Better Battle AI:
      • Uses proper formations, instead of just charging or sitting in map corner;
      • Uses terrain elevation and features (trees, other obstacles) to it's advantage;
      • Gives different target priorities to different troops (e.g. cavalry flanking towards archers, or to hit infantry formations from rear)
      • etc.
    • Additional immersion-increasing stuff, that existed in previous games:
      • Dog companions;
      • Hunting;
      • Ambushes - must be changed though. They were seemingly chance-based upon engaging an enemy in Viking Conquest. Which was annoying;
      • Feasts;
      • etc.
Back
Top Bottom