Search results for query: *

1. Slytacular

SP Medieval 1217 AD Mod

There is a mid-13th century written dialogue of a conversation between a King and his Prince son in Norway, "The King's Mirror". It goes into a lot of depth about how the Norwegians understand the world at the time, as well as everyday life, including details about how their Hird system works, fighting, and equipment. https://archive.org/stream/kingsmirrorspecu00konuuoft/kingsmirrorspecu00konuuoft_djvu.txt

The Swedes are basically a Viking society until the Birger Jarl reforms in the later half of the 13th century. The Norwegians exited out of a civil war that got a lot of their aristocracy killed, and the King's Hird system is pretty different- including "The Guests", "Candle Men", and the "Table Men" for example. The Danes are probably the more modernized of the two Scandinavians, and would resemble a bit closer to a Central European society.

I wouldn't focus too hard on a broad "Feudalist" system, because different regions do things rather differently in different eras. I would suggest making different cultural groups have their own style of government system. The Almohads and Scandinavians are very different from an Anglo-French system. HRE is also a tad different as well due to the election of an emperor. I would focus more on what the different systems look like during the early 13th century. The 14th century was a total upset after the 13th century due to the Bubonic Plague- a lot of peasants weren't tied to their land anymore, and were able to export their labor services, this included a gradual increase of mercenaries as well which was normally shunned in the 13th century.

From my own broad interpretation of Medieval European armies that I see a common pattern, I would suggest 4 main categories of troops:

Archers being professional commoner soldiers notably trained for specialization in bows and crossbows (good armour, good melee, good ranged). Splits between Longbows (or Recurved bows) and Crossbowmen in the troop tree.

Sergeants for personal retinue of Lords and Knights, and are essentially militant serfs (decent armour, decent melee, decent horseback, decent ranged). Splits between Polearm on Foot (with or without shield), Cavalry, and Crossbowmen (or uses bows) in the troop tree.

Militia are the Medieval equivalent of Greek city-state Hoplites. They are tradesmen who trains for war on the side, and help police their towns and cities (decent armour, decent melee, decent ranged). Splits between Polearm on Foot (with or without shield), and Crossbowmen (or uses bows) in the troop tree.

Knights being straightforward of Page to Squire to Knight. They can also be personal retainers of a Lord, but are aristocrats of their own right (excellent armour, good melee, good horseback). They are primarily a cavalry role, but can make good foot infantry. Pages would probably resemble foot soldiers.
  2. Slytacular

SP Medieval 1217 AD Mod

I always thought that the lance system was more of a 14th century thing? You should read about Geoffrey de Villahouin in his bio of the 4th crusade and the Latin Empire. He describes the Brabantians as wearing a heavy amount of armour. Also, where do you get your information about Scandinavians? Norwegians, Danish, and Swedes are pretty different from each other. I can tell that there might be some influence from the King's Mirror. Too bad you don't want to extend to the East, because there is a lot going on with the Latin Empire, Bulgarians, the Byzantine Successor States, Khwarazmians, the Seljuks, and then a Mongol army arrival.
  3. Slytacular

B Antiquity Mount & Gladius II: Rise of Aurelian

Big Daddy Vitallion, please please please don't make the Gauls look super outdated in terms of equipment next to Romans. I hate it when people make Gauls look like something from 1st century BCE in a 2nd-3rd century CE setting. Especially when Gauls are directly exposed to Roman equipment on reliable consistency.
  4. Slytacular

SP Medieval Ruthenia 13th Century

I think its important to add in Tuetonic Order/Livonian Order instead of "crusaders", and then add in Sweden and Denmark as factions. Those are extremely critical factions involved in the Baltic Crusades. Especially since the 13th century Rus were heavily involved in these conflicts. Direct people involved would be Estonians, Lithuanians, Finland, Yotvingians, and other various Prussian groups. If you add these factions, I'll be willing to donate some of my 3D models I've made for Scandinavian and Baltic factions.
  5. Slytacular

SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

I don't mean for it to be historical. I'm thinking purely in terms of what works and functions anatomy wise using historical armour as the anatomical reference for the sake of immersion. Bannerlord characters are probably going to bend along the waist, and its weird to watch what is supposed to be a flat metal plate bend.
  6. Slytacular

Yeah, thanks for accepting the criticism! There are a handful of other breastplates guilty of bad anatomy in the completed preview section of the OP, but I wouldn't get mad if you don't alter them, because it does take a butt amount of time as an artist to fix these. For example, the Gondor actors in the Peter Jackson films are wearing something like a 16th century style of breastplate which do work, but they're a little stiff when it comes to bending over (I also wonder if the breastplates are loose because they're not form fitting either?). However, those armours do have some practicality versus flat anime style breastplate armours. Leather straps around the arm isn't bad design, but there are such things as lacing if you want to consider that. Especially on maille shirts, its perfectly capable to tie strings on the maille to hold floating metal plates, as well as minimize the strings from being cut in the process.
  7. Slytacular

The guy on the far right breastplate does not work in terms of anatomy. Breastplate should end where the rib cage is, and it should be rounded out. Otherwise, the person can't bend over and will be stiff. Also, the breastplate looks like it is designed to impale the person's neck. I would round out or have a semi-circle cut on the neck area. The elbow piece looks weird on the forearm and it needs to be on the elbow. The V piece on the front is a semi-okay feature, but it has a flaw where anything pointy will slide towards the maille aventail. Maille rings will pop and be useless to anything with a diamond shaped point (think bodkin arrows or frankish lances). Otherwise, its okay-ish against stuff that tries to cut and slash, but I wish Roman would've painted something like a rivet or rondel, so that the V piece can be lifted or something. The double belt just looks weird.

I only have beef with the far right guy. Everything else looks terrific.

tumblr_p3nl7bICIc1u442p8o1_1280.jpg
  8. Slytacular

Official 3D art thread - Warband

It seems like you have some flipped faces I think? What program are you using? Should also really learn the magical wonders of boolean and bevels.
  9. Slytacular

I hope the armour fits the Bannerlord Human model.
  10. Slytacular

What kind of armor is this?

Tegulated armour worn by Swedes:

574_large.jpg

575_large.jpg

Tegulated armour worn by Prussians fighting against Tuetonic Order:

kominekmalbork-71384556.jpg
  11. Slytacular

Aventails like that decline over the late 15th century, so Maille doesn't have to be included.

@adorno Are you making OSP buildings for a 19th century period? It looks good!
  12. Slytacular

maille_preview.png

Working on a Riveted Maille Armour material in Substance Designer.
  13. Slytacular

Adorno said:
    Slytacular said:
    Made this the other day in Substance Designer.

kyle-eaton-asset.jpg
    That tea looks strong.
    Seriously, it looks good. Very believable swamp/bog.

Thanks!
  14. Slytacular

Made this the other day in Substance Designer.

kyle-eaton-asset.jpg
  15. Slytacular

Hey guys, does this look human enough? I'm trying to go for a default human character that is lean and toned with an unbalanced physique. Pretty much going to use this model to dress up in Early Medieval style clothing and armour.

https://pasteboard.co/HLMMAxs.png
    https://pasteboard.co/HLMML2I.png
    https://pasteboard.co/HLMMWeq.png
  16. Slytacular

@shredzorz, that is pretty sexy! What is your art workflow on it? The hatch on the back is a little weird to me. If you want some pretty cool ideas for spacecraft and things generally sci-fi with plausible science and math proof to back some theories up, check out http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/ (scroll all the way to the bottom to look at the different topics).

@Alpha, whats the house for what kind of game? It looks like a billboard or LOD kind of house, or something you see in a RTS. It looks nice and stylized, but it screams "make me normal". It looks oddly flat on the textures and I would love to see it with a good normal map.

I'm currently working on retopologizing a default human character for a game project. Tell me if it looks human enough.

9bD283o.png
    y2SbW81.png
    6MrfVVZ.png

Once I finish the low poly, I'll upload my result on to sketchfab. Please give me any heartbreaking constructive criticism if you see something abnormally strange about the anatomy (other than the missing eyeballs and mouth features).
  17. Slytacular

@Den.Di Might be a little late to suggest this since I'm looking at your game's screenshots, but if I could convince you and your teammates to pick a certain specific time period of technology, it'll really help with immersion. For example, looking at medieval images and artifacts from the mid-14th century. There are lots of cultures from one specific point of time that have lots of different shapes and designs to give people their own unique looks. Somebody wearing a great helmet and a breastplate with a backplate is about a good 200-300 years difference of technology. Its like Conquistadors wielding AK-47s. Not saying that its wrong to have a Fantasy spin-off, but there are very good reasons why something declined in history, and other arms and armour replaced it.

ScreenShot00006-1920x1080.jpg

spoiler]
  18. Slytacular

@Den.Di looks fantastic! The breastplate looks too flat, and it comes down too far. They should curve, and end after the ribcage to give that hourglass shape. Your character's current breastplate would prevent him from being able to bend over, and flexibly do anything related to hip movement.

26116297_10214295833851643_6756832179641654071_o.jpg

20157381_10212906434837536_6208989342049071185_o.jpg

19. Slytacular

Looks good, Dan. Though as somebody who has been constantly looking over sources for the 13th century to the 15th century to make my mod, I can really nit-pick those models in terms of authenticity. Your models reflect more of the early to middle 14th century, than the 14th to early 15th century the game developers say on their Kickstarter page.
  20. Slytacular

If you use Blender, you can just set the object to autosmooth, and add sharp (hard) edges. Then let the normal map bake from the high poly do the work in making the object look sharp. Beveling edges is great for textures and baking, but it depends on how large of an edge is on the object. If it's a building, you can get away with making small details that slightly round out corners.
Back
Top Bottom