Search results for query: *

1. A good strategy for companions

EirikrRaudi said:
    Maximus, yes, I almost always use 4 skillers and 4-6 fighters. Prisonners can be nice for money, I know many people use them that way, but in my games, money is never really a problem. In early game, I fill Calradia with enterprises, and then, denars just flow. That way, it's kind of a pity to use skillpoints in Prisonner Management.

1)The skill monkeys get no points at all in combat skills? They wouldn't be able to have the same gear then because they wouldn't be able to use it or wear it. Doesn't that mean you have to alternate between 2 types of training? Fighters would train against 40-50+ sea raiders or taiga bandits and skill monkeys would train against small groups of any of the other types of bandits. Is that how you do it?

I set up a business in every town. I go from most profitable to least profitable. That's part of how I ended up with a fortune when I entered the mid-game.

2) So you don't put ANY points in Prisoner Mgmt?

3) What level do you want your companions to be at for Int or combat skills when you enter the mid-game? I waited until everyone was at level 4 for combat skills and most were at level 10 for Int skills. That's the other part of how I ended up with a fortune when I entered the mid-game
  2. Don’t join a faction until mid-game. Keep early-game army small.

AnandaShanti said:
    Not true. I use the default difficulty.
    Isn't that the easiest? Or is the it middle one..... it's not Normal that's for sure. Anyways I feel like this topic is more about the economics of a large party then the difficulty of battle.

No, the easiest difficulty for damage to the player and friends is called "easiest", combat and campaign AI is "poor" and combat speed is "slowest". The default for damage to player and friends is called "easy", combat and campaign AI is "average" and combat speed is "slower". It's my 2nd time playing and first time in the mid-game. I used the defaults but increased combat speed to "normal".

By keeping my party small and not joining a faction in the early-game, I ended up with 1.9 million denars when I entered the mid-game at about level 35.
    That's ridiculous. You could never spend anywhere near that amount plus if you just join a faction and take a rich town you get like 12 dye works worth of money. Also 35 is very highly leveled. For many people that is about the end of the game when they get there. I've gotten to 41 at the end of games where I murdered most of the garrisons personally with archery. Play how you want but that very over prepared for "mid-game". All the lords are going to be leaving the realm and it's going to be just you and kings.....

It can't be ridiculous if you've never done it before. The strategy wasn't to earn as much money as possible, it was to get Int skills to 10 before entering the mid-game. By the time I had done that, I had 1.9 million denars. Isn't the objective to have Int skills at 10 before entering the mid-game? If not, then how high should they be?
  3. Kingdom of Hyboria reigns supreme in Calradia

Occam said:
    Autosave at character creation.

You're referring to the "Realistic" save setting that makes it so you can't quit without saving? I'm not going to use that.

You talked about "Dismount and Blade". Maybe later. I had already planned to try the Freelancer mod. After that I want to try Brytenwalda and then PoP.
  4. Don't play this mod.

This issue was reported 3 years ago. I would like to play this mod, so is it fixed in version 1.6? Does the mod include Diplomacy?
  5. Kingdom of Hyboria reigns supreme in Calradia

Occam said:
    About Difficulty Rating
    I am not sure what 'default' difficulty is, since I changed it so many years ago.
    I think after the first few times most people play at or close to max difficulty...which is 149%.
    I play with everything at max except I have lance on auto, so my difficulty rating is 134%.

I just experimented with 8 settings on the General Options tab, from "Control Block Direction" to "Combat Speed". I made changes and the most I can get is 131%. Are there settings somewhere else you need to change to increase the difficulty?
  6. Kingdom of Hyboria reigns supreme in Calradia

That was fun. I am now emperor of Calradia. I left Grunwalder castle to the end because I read it was a “deathtrap” to invaders and the hardest fief to capture. I don’t think it was a deathtrap. I lost 5 crossbowmen which isn’t so much. It was just a long siege. I used the default difficulty...
  7. A good strategy for companions

EirikrRaudi said:
    I don't agree with this. In some situations, especially sieges, it can be more important to have a few very fast and very strong soldiers rather than many decent ones. If you quickly breach the first line and let more soldiers land on the city wall, you're likely to win the siege without the defender being able to deploy all its men. If you kill them too slowly, you will be stuck in that eternal 4 vs. 2 fight at the top of the ladder, and you will have to bleed out the defender's whole garrison before you can win. That's why I'd rather advocate a pure skill monkeys and pure elite fighters distribution.

More importantly, I think 2h hammers a poor choice of weapon. Companions should definitely be protected by shields. Especially in harder difficulty level, without a shield, they will be very quickly taken out by a lost arrow shot from across the map... Also, I prefer fast hitting 1h weapons over strong slow weapons, as taking a hit interrupts your own attack. Theoretically, in a duel, a fast hitting recruit defeats a slow elite fighter this way. Think of the noob training in an arena: what do you most like to spawn with? Polearm? 2h sword? Or 1h + shield? Even without a shield, I'd rather go with a 1h sword than a 2h one.

So you have 4 skill monkeys and 4 fighters? How many troops would you have in your party in a fight against 120 sea raiders?

Hammers let you take prisoners. That gives you a lot of money in the early-game.

8. A good strategy for companions

LeChat said:
    I used to have heavy armoured horses, but since this year I turned to quick horse (courser). I prefer to quickly move arrass enemies, retreat (toward the enemy side), and aggro enemies (who cannot catch me), fire bow (2 quivers) permanently. I kill some, kill some horses to put dangerous enemy on horse (mammluks) on foot, then go back to main battle zone (where my troops have already engage enemy).
    So I now prefer rapid horses against heavily protected ones. You have to dodge a bit for some incomming arrows :grin:

Using this strategy, how many troops would you have against 120 sea raiders?

I find crossbows way too slow. Even if it cost skillpoints, bows are devasting when skill and proficiencie levels up.
    You find xbows too slow for your character or for companions? Companions get the job done with xbows just like Rhodok sharpshooters that many people use and you don't have to put points into Power Draw.

9. Better than Calradia's best

I was level 36 and about to enter the mid-game. I wanted to see how my 8 companions compared to certain troops: Nord huscarls, Swadian knights and Rhodok sharpshooters. Since you can’t do a custom battle involving companions, I had my 8 companions fight a group of sea raiders a few times and...
  10. Don’t join a faction until mid-game. Keep early-game army small.

sigi1 said:
    OP plays single player on easiest damage difficulty

Not true. I use the default difficulty.
  11. A good strategy for companions

LeChat said:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius1 said:
    Occam said:
    The way I usually do it is to have 3 int-monkeys and 5 super-soldiers.

Why not make all 8 companions skill monkeys and super soldiers? My guys are all very skilled and they're all super soldiers. There's enough skill points to do both.
    Because usualy you finish the game before that.

OK, maybe you and I have a different definition of super soldier. The person I got my strategy from made a lot of sense when he said there's little point in going beyond level 4 for combat skills. He said training combat skills to a high level isn't really worth it because, ultimately, each companion is only 1 soldier. I think that makes a lot of sense. So I get everyone to level 4, and outfitted as I described, before the mid-game. He said at that point they were super soldiers. So I'm using the term in the same way. I'm guessing that when you use the term, you mean combat skills are 10.

For me it is Surgeon the most important.
    As you level up INT for medical skills, you can level up the 3 skills (Wound Treatment, Surgeon, First Aid) for the same companion.
    I take Jeremus and Nizar groups, and I raise the 3 skills for Jeremus and Ymira (and two level for myself). Because when knock-out, you lose the skill. When it happens during a battle, your soldiers may die in mass if you have no more Surgeon.
    What you're describing is very similar to my strategy. Regardless of whether you think Surgery or Wound Treatment is the most important, it doesn't make a difference in my strategy because all 3 medical skills have 2 backups. So, all 3 skills are trained to 10 3 times.

I said I get two level  myself for these skills because you have a bonus : level 2 of Party skills grants you a free one.
    Moreover, when you are level 2 in party skill, you give +1 if someone is higher than you

I trained Surgery to 10 in my character for a +4 bonus.

losing soldier is catastrophic for your army
    Having a soldier killed isn't "catastrophic". I always attack with more than I need and I can replace any soldier quickly. Also, for most of the early game, my army is just my companions so the Surgery skill actually does nothing.
  12. Don’t join a faction until mid-game. Keep early-game army small.

Recently, I posted about my strategy for companions. To be clear, although 4 start as skill monkeys and 4 start as fighters, by the time I entered the mid-game, my guys were all very skilled and they were all super soldiers imo (the person I got my strategy from described the companions as super...
  13. A good strategy for companions

Occam said:
    The way I usually do it is to have 3 int-monkeys and 5 super-soldiers.

Why not make all 8 companions skill monkeys and super soldiers? My guys are all very skilled and they're all super soldiers. There's enough skill points to do both.
  14. A good strategy for companions

Unlike most games, Mount & Blade has a ton of information you need to know before you start playing.  As I surround the last 8 fiefs of Rhodoks, the only remaining original faction, I thought I would share the strategy I used for configuring the companions. The idea is to turn the companions...
  15. How large should my castles garrisson be in order to be safely protected enough?

I do 200 for castles and 300 for towns. I've read in many places that when the game looks at your fiefs, the formula it uses to decide whether or not to attack, ignores the quality of your garrison - it just looks at how many troops you have. So you can use mainly low level troops. This makes setting up a garrison, very cheap. That will keep bandits and small armies from attacking. Big armies will still attack so you need to have a field army you can bring to any siege and destroy the attackers. The best army for this purpose is heavy cavalry. My garrisons look like this:

Castles - 200 men
    67 Rhodock crossbowmen
    20 Nord huscarls
    113 Nord footmen

Towns - 300 men
    100 Rhodock crossbowmen
    30 Nord huscarls
    170 Nord footmen

Low level troops are enough except for a few huscarls - 20 in each castle and 30 in each town. The garrisons are 1/3 crossbowmen and 10% huscarls. This has been working well for me. I am currently late in the mid-game.
  16. Questions on recruiting and training troops

1) When giving / taking troops to / from a garrison, you can give / take 10 at once by holding down shift. Ctrl lets you give / take all troops of a certain type. Ctrl also lets you upgrade all troops of a certain type. So why can't you use Shift to upgrade 10 at a time? You should be able to. I...
  17. Kingdom of Hyboria spans 4 of the original factions

What started as a rebellion in the Sarranid Sultanate has evolved into the kingdom of Hyboria. “Hyboria” (Pronounced hi – BOR – ee – ah. Note the emphasis on the 2nd syllable – very important) comes from the universe of Conan the Barbarian by Robert E Howard. Conan lived in the fictional...
  18. Is there a way to find a prisoner that my vassal captured?

A vassal captured an enemy lord but I don't know who captured him or where the prisoner is. The database only says he's a prisoner in my kingdom. It doesn't say where. If I find him, can I release him even though I didn't capture him?
  19. Why can't I recruit lords?

EirikrRaudi said:
    A rebel faction is not an own kingdom... Possibly, none of these "recruit lords" features are available to rebel factions. It would make sense, as in real life, no lord would side with a guy that is in the middle of a civil war. Defeat Sarranids, it might actually solve your problem.

It's no longer a rebel faction. It wasn't when I tried to recruit the last 3 lords. The Sarranids are gone. I renamed my faction which you can't do when you have a rebel faction. Since I couldn't recruit by talking to a lord, I sent an emissary. He came back and told me what the lord said. The lord wouldn't join me and gave reasons. So that makes sense but I should be able to have the conversation with the lord myself.
  20. Why can't I recruit lords?

AfLIcTeD said:
    Best way to find out relations is to send out companions on spy missions.

The database usually tells you the relation of a lord with his king.

If he is saying "Long may he live" then the lord has too high relations with his King and won't even consider leaving. Try to pick lords that have negative relations and it should work...Lords are not going to betray their Kings if they like them

I still have the same problem and I just tried recruiting 3 lords from a kingdom I am not at war with. I spoke to them when they were alone in their fiefs except for ladies and in one case, a claimant. All 3 have negative relations with their king: -6, -6 and -16. However, they all have good relation with me: 48, 53 and 52. So they like me and they don't like their king yet the conversation is the same as before. When I ask them about the king they all say "Long may he live!". That makes no sense. I should have been able to recruit these 3.

Back
Top Bottom