Search results for query: *

1. John-of1999

[research] Illyrians

RHY9F.jpg

Philip of Macedon against the Illyrians.
  2. John-of1999

[research] iberians

Cavalry:
    q4mVZ.jpg

"Another important innovation from the 3rd century BC. was the growing development of cavalry units, almost non-existent before in the coastal areas. Probably its appearance was driven by the needs of the Carthaginians, but it was feasible because a Celtiberian cavalry had already existed since the 4th century BC, a stimulus that is much more probable and direct than the exclusively Punic in the development of the Iberian cavalry.
    This Iberian cavalry was not a "line" cavalry armed with a long lance and designed for shock, despite the fact that on some reverse of Iberian coins it might appear otherwise.
    Indeed, according to literary sources, Iberian and Celtiberian horsemen fought with javelins and short spears and even dismounted to fight on foot. (...) Even so, there are undoubtedly occasional ceramic representations, for example the Cabecico del Tesoro or Archena , in which the horsemen face infantry wielding and not throwing a short spear, but in any case it is not the very long spear of the Hellenistic cavalry."

Source: "Weapons, warriors and battles of the Ancient Iberia" Quesada Sanz. 2010
  3. John-of1999

[research] iberians

dOiY0.jpg

"During the 4th century BC. the composition of the grave goods with weapons in the great necropolis of the southeast of the peninsula shows a certain coherence. A small number of graves, always less than 5% of the total and often less than 3% show a complete panoply including luxury items, such as daggers and horse aerial, which do not seem to indicate the existence of cavalry units in this period.
    Most of the tombs contain a panoply-type, with shield, spear, javelin or soliferreum, and sword, usually falcata in the southeast. And around 15% of the graves with panoply present a model of light infantry, without a sword and with lighter spears or only javelins. This panoply of the fourth century was already suitable for combat in formation, but this ability would be reinforced with the new elements introduced in the 3rd century BC., like the oval shield or the bronze helmet."
    Source: "Weapons, warriors and battles of the Ancient Iberia" Quesada Sanz. 2010
  4. John-of1999

[research] iberians

Page from Universidad Autónoma de Madrid about Iberian and Celtiberian weaponry evolution, It also contains some illustrative images:

Defensive:
    https://www.uam.es/FyL/TiposDeArmas-Defensivas/1446788699134.htm

tWYAM.jpg
    Comparison chart between the south and east of Spain and the plateau.

Offensive:

OQRyN.jpg
    Comparison chart between the south and east of Spain and the plateau.

General review of peninsular weaponry:

sEwDy.jpg
  5. John-of1999

[research] iberians

A very short summary:

(*I have added and removed images from my previous posts to make them fit more closely with our timeline)
    More information there. I have a more complex article about this topic, written by the same investigator, but it is in Spanish.
  6. John-of1999

[research] iberians

Thanks, but I think this weaponry is out of our timeline. It seems to be of the 5th century B.C.
  7. John-of1999

[research] iberians

More about Hispano-Celtic weaponry:

Comparison between Roman republican and Iberian armies:
  8. John-of1999

[research] Ligurians

§ 5.39.5 "The nights the Ligurians spend in the fields, rarely in a kind of crude shanty or hut, more often in the hollows of rocks and natural caves which may offer them sufficient protection. 6 In pursuance of these habits they have also other practices wherein they preserve the manner of life which is primitive and lacking in implements. Speaking generally, in these regions the women possess the vigour and might of men, and the men those of wild beasts. Indeed, they say that often times in campaigns the mightiest warrior among the Gauls has been challenged to single combat by a quite slender Ligurian and slain. 7 The weapons of the Ligurians are lighter in their structure than those of the Romans; for their protection is a long shield, worked in the Gallic fashion, and a shirt gathered in with a belt, and about them they throw the skins of wild animals and carry a sword of moderate size; but some of them, now that they have been incorporated in the Roman state, have changed the type of their weapons, adapting themselves to their rulers. 8 And they are venturesome and of noble spirit, not only in war, but in those circumstances of life which offer terrifying hardships or perils. As traders, for instance, they sail over the Sardinian and Libyan seas, readily casting themselves into dangers from which there is no succour; for although the vessels they use are more cheaply fashioned than make-shift boats and their equipment is the minimum of that usual on ships, yet to one's astonishment and terror they will face the most fearful conditions which storms create."

Library.Diodorus Siculus. 1st century B.C.

ºOne Italian article about Ligurian statuary:

Weapondry from Cafaggio deposit.4th century B.C.
    o_zxF.jpg

For more information consult this article:
  9. John-of1999

[research] Illyrians

ruYNQ.jpg
    Gradistë plate belt.Albania.280 B.C.

Tlbjj.jpg
    Illyrian shield and greaves from the Museum of Tirana, Albania. Without date.

QFnDG.jpg
    Some Illyrian helmets.

YVI4B.jpg

7PV2F.jpg

6GUh8.jpg
    Wall paintings from a Messapian tomb.5th century BC. National Archaeological Museum of Egnazia, Italy.
    (*The Messapians were a Italic tribe that migrated from Illyria in the first millenium B.C.)

hkTGJ.jpg
    Plaque-bent of Vace, Slovenia. 5th century B.C.

3IQ12.jpg
    Fragment from burial urn of Bihac.Bosnia and Herzegovina. 5th century B.C.

For more information consult this article:

Reenactment of the Histri by Aes Torkoi. 3rd to 1st century B.C. :

10. John-of1999

[Research] Odrysian Kingdom (Thracian Union)

I6gAV.jpg

6Sog3.jpg

6nmEb.jpg
    Warriors painted in the tomb of Kazanlak.Bulgary.300 B.C.

Q0RDZ.jpg
    Thracian Armoured Infantryman from the Grave of Seuthes III, Kazanlak

IO2bS.jpg

qMQI4.jpg
    Seuthes the third(324-312 B.C.) weapons.

More images:
  11. John-of1999

v9jxG.jpg
    Early Gladiators by Florent Vincent
    Gallus (3rd century BC), Samnis (4th century BC) and Thraex (2nd century BC)

Previusly posted by matmohair1 on the thread "republican Rome"
  12. John-of1999

[research] iberians

A very short summary:

(*I have added and removed images from my previous posts to make them fit more closely with our timeline)
  13. John-of1999

[research] iberians

Information about Iberian weaponry through the Braganza brooch:

Information about Iberian weaponry evolution:

Information about Celtiberian culture and weaponry evolution:

Some information about hispano-chalcidian helmets and Other defensive weapons in the Peninsula.

The Celts in Iberia. An overview:
  14. John-of1999

[research] carthage

D7SNU.jpg

Z0sT-.jpg

FEX8d.jpg

Battle of Cannae by Ettore Mazza
  15. John-of1999

[research] carthage

Fxnjz.jpg

0LgHc.jpg

ipxVG.jpg

Battle of Zama by Ettore Mazza.
  16. John-of1999

[research] Ligurians

o6UB3.jpg
    by Michael Weinert
    *Info:
    Thanks to Jose Moran and Duncan Head for their nice work in Ancient Warfare Magazine XII.4 Dec/Jan 2019
    https://www.karwansaraypublishers.c...shop/single-issues/ancient-warfare-xii-4.html
  17. John-of1999

[research] iberians

Carpetani reenactment late 3rd/2nd centuries B.C. :

18. John-of1999

uF2CM.jpg
    Odrysian aristocrat from 354 BC. Drawed by Giorgio Albertini. (*In accordance with the archeological images I posted above I'm not really sure if the beard is an accurate attribute.)

udvDw.jpg
    Odrysian noble cavalry 300-350 BC depicted by Ángel García Pinto.
  19. John-of1999

Rome at War: Suggestions/bugs

Between clan wars and other social systems there might have not been enough time left to write about them, if I am not wrong there might be some inscriptions about them from the Carthaginians, Greeks and Romans
    our friends from Europa Barbarorum II represent them in a very similar way to the Liguarians, but I don't know what they are based on.

20. John-of1999

Rome at War: Suggestions/bugs

Oh no worries just wanted to know if it was okay for the thread to be created.
    (Sorry to interrupt the conversation and my poor English) I think you should create it.
    We never know what the community can do with that information or if you will end up helping an Italian boy with his History class. But inspired by your question I started looking for information alone, and I have to say, that after the 8th and 7th centuries, which is when most of the famous bronze figures are made, it is as if the Nuragic culture had mysteriously disappeared. Right now I am reviewing the classical authors in the search of more information.
Back
Top Bottom