Search results for query: *

1. Prevent AI cavalry from raising their shields against missiles

Thanks for replaying. Is there no way to directly modify the AI behavior? The "state" that I'm thinking of is whenever they're under missile threat but not under melee threat. They could be couching or preparing a stab, don't want them to raise the shield and break this, but do want them to raise shields during this against melee attacks like they currently do.
  2. Prevent AI cavalry from raising their shields against missiles

As the title says, I'd like to change the AI cavalry behavior, so they do not raise shields against potential missiles, instead they should keep their couched lance state or do whatever they would otherwise do. This would help a lot with cavalry effectiveness in the mod I'm making. Any help...
  3. How to disable to the bobbing of the couched lance?

The AI needs to perform couched charges better, and one way to increase accuracy is to remove the lance bobbing up and down after a few seconds of couching, which I observed to apply to both players and the AI. I'd like to remove said bobbing, thanks in advance!
  4. Do captain perks still apply after a formation is split?

I dont even know how you get a companion to lead a formation in this game. Please explain yourself!
    In the Party screen you assign a companion to a formation. The top companion (as in the order in the Party screen) of that formation is the captain of said formation and applies his captain perks to the formation.
  5. Do captain perks still apply after a formation is split?

Say I have a Companion leading the Cavalry formation (formation 3) in my party. At the beginning of the battle, I transfer half of the cavalry formation into a new formation (formation 5). Do the companion's captain perks still apply over both formations, or only the formation he happens to be...
  6. How to make the AI shoot from further away?

Try with reduced values (lower than the default <2.5) in the <native_parameter id="ranged_target_radius_multiplier" value="X"/> line of native_parameters.xml
    Thanks, this is the value that worked!
  7. How to make the AI shoot from further away?

The range that the AI soldiers start shooting their crossbow/bows seem to be related to the accuracy value of these weapons. I lowered the accuracy of all crossbow/bows by 40, which gave me the results that I wanted, but now the AI refuses to shoot unless the range is close. I'd like them to...
  8. Spears are weak.

SandboxAgentApplyDamageModel should have an overrideable method called CalculateCouchedLanceDamage which I believe is what you'd want to override in your own damage model.

Thanks, but I'm not trying to mod the damage. I made a lance that has a lot of reach but can only be couched (no active stab), and I'm trying to get the AI to use it well. Right now the AI uses it pretty well against infantry, but against cav, they'd switch to their secondary weapon and never switch back after the first charge. They'd even switch to *fists* if I remove their secondary, which is quite funny to see.

To fix this I'm thinking reducing the speed requirement for couching, or reinstating the active stab, but give it a conditional move_diff that makes the active stab reach no further than the couch.
  9. Spears are weak.

It was made for 1.2.1, yes. But it shouldn't have any conflicts with 1.3.0 unless they made any changes to how behaviours are loaded. :xf-smile: Did you manage to achieve what you wanted to?
    Yes I got the damage tweak done, thanks a lot for that. However, like you, I'm trying to make the a new custom damage model.
    I'm also trying to mod couch lancing with no luck.
  10. Spears are weak.

Sure! It's an early prototype just for playing around, but should be enough for what you want to do. I've gone ahead and added an if statement to check if the hit agent was just a normal infantry for you.

I'll probably be leaving this as-is for a while since I've got some other experimenting I want to do now, so don't expect any frequent updates to it. :xf-wink:

Source Code

Forgot to ask, is this code based on 1.2.1 or 1.3.0? I was assuming it was 1.2.1, but today I'd have to update to 1.3.0 and wonder if there won't be any problems.
  11. Spears are weak.

Repeatedly claiming that Musashi said that spears were better for battlefield combat when he specifically stated that long or heavy weapons (read: spears are long) lose to dual katana/ katana and waz. Claiming that he lived in a time of peace (which wouldn't necessarily have any bearing on his skill or knowledge) when he lived half of his life in the most war-torn era of Japanese history, i.e. the Warring States Era. You've become joke tier, friend.

During the Sengoku Jidai, the samurai carried the yari in battle as their primary weapon. It's only during the later Edo peace time that the katana became their iconic weapon. There's no question that the spear was the king of the battlefield.

I imagine that in 500 years there'll be people claiming that the Gulf War was won by US soldiers armed with desert eagles.
  12. Spears are weak.

Even in the early period Roman legion post Marian reforms, there's a good argument to be made about how the pilum was actually the primary weapon instead of the gladius. Late period Roman legion adopted the spear like everyone else.
  13. Spears are weak.

Again, spears have very strong niche uses. They're never going to be, and should not be, as strong as swords or axes at infantry combat. Just as swords and axes are never going to be as strong as spears against cav or used by cav.

This is terrible logic. On the battlefield the spear is king, it is better than swords or axes against infantry. Swords are niche secondary weapons used in other situations, like when you lose your spear, when indoors, in a city, etc.

One on one unarmored duel wise, sword+shield is superior to spear+shield, but sword without shield is worse than spear without shield.

Your balance shouldn't come from cav>sword inf>spear inf>cav. It should come from other sources, such as tactics, formations, positioning, etc.
  14. SP - General Council of the Commons Policy is Too Powerful

Also in my experience it's still possible to be assigned significant holdings with Council of the Commons. My Vlandia playthrough (only just Clan Tier 4) had Derthert assigning 4 cities and 4 castles to me, his primary vassal of the South (notably, I can't get anything north of Tubilis Castle - faction leaders take geographic proximity very seriously when contemplating candidates). I'm really not experiencing any downsides from Council of the Commons, and it's guaranteeing the complete dominance of my faction.

Wait till Derthert has 10k influence. He will overrule the vote on every new conquest that borders his fiefs, which expands his fiefs even more. It wouldn't matter that you have 30k or 50k or 100k influence to his 10k, you cannot use those influence points to stop him in any meaningful way.
  15. SP - General Council of the Commons Policy is Too Powerful

I made a mod that removes the influence gain from Council of the Commons since it completely breaks the influence system.

Unzip to your Mount and Blade II\Modules directory and make sure to unblock the .dll file.

Thanks! Is this for 1.2.1 or 1.3.0?
  16. Spears are weak.

If i had bothered looking i would have found this thread instead of making a seperate one about lances lol
    I find it pretty annoying that my lance barely extends beyond the horses head making it utterly pointless as it negates one of the biggest strengths of the lance its reach.
    Down to the fact that it is being held centre mass which is completely wrong.

You can mod the game so you hold the weapon at a point further back, however, that's not a good enough solution, since a couched lance would have less reach than a thrusting lance/spear no matter what.

What would be a good mod (and I'm trying to make it) is to have you hold the lance further out ONLY when it's couched, thus giving you the reach advantage that matches the reach of the active thrust. This is realistic as the act of couching allows you to bring much more of the shaft forward than if you were to hold it normally.

Another solution is to make knightly lances with huge reach like in your picture but make them couch-only, as in unable to thrust.
  17. Spears are weak.

Sure! It's an early prototype just for playing around, but should be enough for what you want to do. I've gone ahead and added an if statement to check if the hit agent was just a normal infantry for you.

I'll probably be leaving this as-is for a while since I've got some other experimenting I want to do now, so don't expect any frequent updates to it. :xf-wink:

Source Code

Thanks! It took me a while to figure out what to even do with your files haha. It's my first time downloading and using Visual Studio. It's all good now though. Just a question, is the "damage" in your code post armor calculation, or just the raw damage of the weapon?
  18. SP - Battles & Sieges Does anyone else think spears are utterly useless?

I wonder if spear only(no shield) infantry would do any better? I’ll try that this weekend, a pikeman only circle formation behind a shield infantry formation.
    When the cavalry get past the shields and charge a pike circle, with no shields to get blocked on, hopefully the pikemen will actually be able to do their jobs.

If that works, I may even try putting a loose formation of 2h axmen in the center of the pike circle.

Could make for a decent cavalry deathtrap?
    Well I've tested sending 20 T5 Vlandian pikemen against a caravan of 30 (mixed infantry and cav) in all sorts of formations. They get wrecked. This is *with* the spear buffs of reach/speed/no minimum range.
  19. Spears are weak.

Maybe using square formation isn't the best tactic - how did you fight 'em?
    I put a line or two of spear-shield in shield wall formation, have another line of vlandian voulgiers behind them, and have the cav charge in from the front while the infantry stays stationary. His mod combined with speed/reach buffs make spearmen shred cavalry for me.

I quite like the concept of units countering one another instead of attempting to rely entirely on realism or historical accuracy.

Well, they do. Close order infantry (spear/pike-armed of course) counters infantry and cavalry from the front, which counters the flanks of spearmen, loose order infantry, and archers, which counters horse archers and infantry with no shields etc, you get my gist. Close order spearmen/pikemen get countered by its own lack of tactical flexibility and mobility.

The simplistic sword inf>spear inf>cav>sword inf "rock-paper-scissor" is a tired-old trope that's not reflective of reality nor conducive to good gameplay IMO.

The way I modify the damage is by making my own MissionBehaviour which inherits from MissionLogic class. Then I just override OnScoreHit to track whenever an agent was hit and I can get all kinds of juicy data from there.

I guess I'd have to finally learn dll modding then. Would you share your mod perhaps so I can see an example? Thanks in advance
  20. Improving Spears (so they can be fun)

Long spears and pikes need to ignore friendly collision, at least until the end of their thrust, since what's really happening is your pike shaft sliding between friendlies in front of you, while the spearhead is always in front of those friendlies. This cannot be done in-game so collision ignoring is the best approximation.
Back
Top Bottom