Search results for query: *

1. Sword_of_Light

An open letter from the Kingdoms of Arda team, and the total-conversion mod community

I support this letter for two reasons:

I loved The Last Days of the Third Age for Warband, and eagerly await its implementation in Bannerlord. However, it appears that if it does ever come about, it will take years to implement, probably years after the actual official release of the game. In other words, if these entirely voluntary fans burn out because TaleWorlds has made this game too hard to mod, we may never see those total conversions that we loved.

I despise the current state of the AI. Though there are some intelligent behaviors, eg. remounting when they're unhorsed, these are often few and far between. Combat is marred by hard-coded stupid actions. I, an AI attacker, have just scaled the wall of this castle. I will attempt to get to the other side of the castle, ignoring all enemies in the process. I will die. I, an AI archer, have just scaled the wall of this town. I will then run down to the ground and attempt to get to a corner where I can shoot my bow, ignoring all the enemies in-between until I'm forced into melee, where I will either attempt to use my bow, or rapidly switch between bow and melee weapon, never using either. I will die.

I would bet there's a modder who could make a mod where each class behaves in at least a less stupid fashion. Since many of these actions are apparently chiseled in stone, we will just have to hope that by release TaleWorlds improves the the AI, and it doesn't behave like its being commanded by Zapp Brannigan.

"You see, killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down. Kif, show them the medal I won."
    -Futurama, "Love's Labors Lost in Space"
  2. Sword_of_Light

Resolved Rock Monster (main character graphics corruption)

Missing textures, icons, UI elements or other visual assets​

If the game has texture and UI related problems, you can try the workaround below to fix it:
    • Delete the "C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders" folder
    • Verify the game files.
    Yup, that got it. Thank you!
  3. Sword_of_Light

Resolved Rock Monster (main character graphics corruption)

Summary: After the hotpatch on 6/1/21 my character renders as a metallic blob. The error is persistent throughout all views. Successfully verified all files through Steam. How to Reproduce: Have you used cheats and if so which: Scene Name (if related): Media (Screenshots & Video): 3rd person...
  4. Sword_of_Light

Make sense please.

Only thing that is seeming REALLY broken to me right this second is the armies never having enough food. I was just watching one of my vassal armies running around and there was like 900 of them in an army, they went to siege a castle and I was standing around smacking enemy armies that came near, I look over and they start dropping in numbers like flies... 1000 men just dying like crazy because AI can't buy more than a days worth of food *smh*.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "the economic system is broken"? Seems fine to me.
    Also what is wrong with ai recruitment?
    And if your looters are feeling broken, just change the difficulty setting to something other than realism, because that was giving me a headache, getting stoned to death on my horse like they were shooting me with heatseeking missiles. ?

I had a castle. Fully upgraded tax collector. Villages doing fine, should be, since I have the perk that gives me a village bonus. Kingdom passed the toll tax, with my help. But because of the guards in a castle - you know, the whole point of having a castle - I was loosing 300 gold a day. From just the castle. Add on a small band of 75 troops, quality, I could see losses of 500, even a 1000 gold in a day. I went broke. Stopped playing because I couldn't even recruit some filthy peasant because I didnt have 20 gold. Even if I could by a peasant, couldn't feed him. In other words, I should not be penalized for successfully lobbying my greedy Vlandian leige to stop grabbing every bit of real estate that comes his way and give me a holding. This is not a castle sim - it's a medieval FPS.

Now, you say, well, invest in the nerfed caravans that now get murdered by a moderatly large looter band because the sim automaically kills troops fighing looters no matter the disparity in tiers, or drop ten grand on a smithy. Which I would if I wasnt burning gold so fast I would amost never see that much money.

The AI recruits, I think its what, 25%, of its force just by magic. Just boom, decent tiered troops. You lost a 100 men, have twenty five good ones back, on the house. Now, you, player, you go get some scum and grind them up, no magic heals for you. By the time you've spent the necessary time murderhobo'ing your way through looters, that lord you defeated will still have a better army.

But lets say I want to make things easier. That was what I did with my first game, and it was boring. I could beat armies at 10-1 odds. I was a force of nature. It was so incredibly boring.

So, the economy is broken, the AI recruiting needs a difficulty scale, and armor needs a threshold value. Against piercing or blunt - you have to exceed x damage before damage even register. Your first tier guys should take bashing damage from looters with rocks - they're wearing street clothes, some jerk just lobbed a brick at their head. Your mounted tank should ignore such trifles.
  5. Sword_of_Light

Resolved Hunt 7 Mountain Bandits

When they get too far away from villages the quest symbol disappears, that what is happening to him. Any bandit that get's close to village the quest symbol appears.

Yeah, that was what was happening. I was really hoping it was a bug since it was super frustrating - the cut off point was about but not quite to the point where they'd run out of land. So I'd chase and gain, and I'd almost have 'em. And then no quest marker. Amazingly frustrating.
  6. Sword_of_Light

SP - General Temples and religious sites

Features you mentioned may add some depth to the game but this will no longer be M&B we know. Before you will introduce raiding chappels feature, you need to create whole lore behind, gods, panteons, religion culture, priests... seems to be a lot of work.

It does fit with the historical peoples these factions are based upon, though. Byzantium was heavily Christianized by the 9th century (the 3 Imperial factions), the Norse (Sturgia) had already raided important religious sites in Britain (Battania).
  7. Sword_of_Light

Make sense please.

There are some nasty Infatry polearms like the "makeshift sledgehammer" and "rhomphalia" together with billhooks and other two-handed polearms that you can swing from horseback two-handed. I can't help thinking you would chop your own leg off of perhaps your horse's head.

I've never tried, but if you can use a bill mounted in this game, that's just historically inaccurate (and this game's tech period is supposed to be based on Byzantium c. 9th cent.). I cant think of any Western example of a two-handed weapon that wasn't a bow. There are plenty of examples throughout history of controlling a mount with your legs, and numerous examples of horse archers - even large bows (just google Japanese mounted archers). And weapons like spears can be either one or two handed. But a strictly two-handed polearm? I just think it would be so heavy as to be impractical - you've got to swing this huge thing and keep your seat? Over and over? Fatigue isn't a thing in this game, but maybe it should be.

Come to think of it, I cant think of any weapon heavy enough to require two hands being used on horseback. I mean, Zweihänder dragoons, maybe could have been a thing (it wasn't) - where the horses are just a means to get from A to B and the soldiers are the biggest you can find. But Zweihänder cavalry? That's anime level wackiness.
  8. Sword_of_Light

Make sense please.

okay explain this one?

Yeah, I have to second this. I mean, we're not riding around with bills or halberds - mounted polearm means spears and lances.
  9. Sword_of_Light

Common experience - Sturgia

The problem is that AI suck at block projectiles and archery is too strong.

Player NPC AI suck at blocking projectiles. AI advancing on an enemy seem to block just fine - to the point I've honed the tactic of riding around shielded enemies like Sea Raiders so they'll face me but turn their backs on my archers. But I have noted AI just stand there even when taking fire - especially long distance fire. It would be nice to have a command to turtle up.

And my primary problem with all the cav isnt that there arent counters. Its that building PC cav is vastly more difficult, even as Khuzait. Even if you raid a village with horses, that only means a half dozen mounts. Warband you could build a 100 horse cavalry band no sweat - I've done it - you could catch anything, including Steppe Bandits, and cavalry charges worked. Now that was fun.

Last time I faced a Khuzait band with equal numbers and quality units, I saw probably 50 wounded, 30 dead, 20 fled. They saw 20 dead and a similar number wounded. Why? Horse archers. I sent my cav after them. Didn't matter.
  10. Sword_of_Light

Common experience - Sturgia

Sturgia. Sturgia... uh.....not ringing any bells ... oh, wait, do you mean the province split between Vlalandia, Battania and Khuzait? Who have no counter to Khuzait's infinite horses and mounted snipers, loose that war, and then because they're severely weakened, get warred on by anyone wanting a land grab until they're completely obliterated? Is that the Sturgia you mean?
  11. Sword_of_Light

Make sense please.

They will no doubt get to balancing these things,

One hopes. As things stand now, the economic system is broken, the AI recruitment is broken, Looters are broken, sieges are ... ok, less broken than Warband, but still ...

Yes, I know, Early Access, but I suspect a lot is working as intended, and if we dont make noise now because its unplayable or not just not as fun as previous iterations - they might stay as-is come release. It doesn't make sense than a peasant with a stick can one-shot my heavily armored PC, its not fun starving because owning a castle is a money pit no matter how many fairgrounds and tax collectors you build. If I'd wanted a boring management sim I'd have gotten one of those you own a sports team sims. Its not fun watching your warband break and run because Leadership increases at a snail's pace - even with all 5 bars filled.

There is a lot of cool content, a lot of cool improvements. A lot of work put into the game. Not saying otherwise - but I broke my rule to never buy EA / beta because of my love for the series. I really hope I dont come to regret that.
  12. Sword_of_Light

Resolved Hunt 7 Mountain Bandits

I hope this isn't working as intended - I have a quest to eliminate 7 bands of mountain bandits. However, on several occasions (not always), when I've found a band with a blue ! just as I'm about to catch them, the quest marker disappears. Killing them at this point does not count towards the...
  13. Sword_of_Light

Give us level 1 companions.

I think a compromise would be to add to the random generation of Willowbarks and Sheildmaidens a generic - low level - companion to level as you saw fit. I'm Gilford the Farmer, and I'm bored. I'm Axios the Runaway, keep me from the chain gang and I'll murder for you. I'm Bella the Headstrong, what I lack in experience, I make up for in will.

Gives the player a bit of agency - I need a healer, I need a steward, I need something the devs havent thought of - and you have less of a problem early on (remember, getting a companion is part of the opening quest) running into "...I'll just need 127 lb of gold you might have laying around and I'll join up with you." every time you talk to anyone in the tavern.
  14. Sword_of_Light

Assemble the Dragon Banner is glitched

this is still glitched for me. i get all the pieces, go to istiana or whatever here name is, and when i say 'about the task you gave me' all it says is 'i'm still working on it'

You dont get the option to tell her you're going to rebuild the empire? Because as the quest stands now, you have to lie to one of them - but you have to tell both of them what they want to hear before the quest will proceed.

So, for instance, my most recent game, I go to Istania and ask where the second piece is, murder some mountain bandits, go to the pseudoCelts, ask the guy where the last piece is, murder some forest bandits. Go back to the dude, say, I have the pieces, death to the empire, go back to the pseudoRoman lady, say vivat Imperium! and boom, that leg of the quest ends. I now get an either/or/else choice - build my own empire, ally with one of the Imperial factions, or ally with a non-Imperial faction.

I ally - after an enormously extended chase with the encyclopedia saying no, no, the faction leader you're hunting is totally at this location, and not across the map, honest! This time for sure! - with Vlandia. The other two options fail, and now I have Weaken the Empire as a quest, followed by the not-implimented Istania strikes back quest. I also give Dilbert or whatever the Banner, and he's like yeah, this'd be awesome, but this is BetaCaladria and nobody cares that I have this rag, so I'll just stuff it in the back of my sock drawer for now.
  15. Sword_of_Light

Since the game released it passed 5 months but...

If I were running the office, I'd tell my programmers that what you're asking for is better saved for late development. Five months in beta isnt a long time at all - my game now only stutters occasionally on siege maps, never on the Strategic map, pathing has improved, new equipment has been introduced, perks have been slowly trickled in.

But there's still major pathing issues, especially on sieges - one desert city it looks like there used to be a door in one of the towers, but isnt anymore - the AI acts like there should be a door. Economy, dear lord, still needs so much damned balance work - I mean, economics on release was borked, but its swung to the other extreme. 75 quality troops, no holdings, I'm loosing 500 gold a day, and I'm still not nasty enough to fight even the smallest of lords (save me from the ubermercs that field like 100 cav that magically regenerate even if you manage to defeat them). The only way economy could be worse for the player is if the devs added a student loan mechanism.

You want a new experience? I want a game that's playable first.
  16. Sword_of_Light

TRAINING TROOPS

Its just not fun to fight elite all-horse merc bands with guys wearing sack cloth and armed with pitchfork-like sticks.

Its just not fun to fight dozens upon dozens of teen and twenty sized bands of poor people, for the half dozen troop promotions to Level II Not Quite As Awful as Peasant.

Its just not fun to fight that elite all-horse merc band again, with whatever scum you could rake out of the muck, and realize that they've magically found replacements for any of their elite troops you managed to kill the last time. Plus a few peasants who will hit your lines after their cavalry has already shattered your band's morale.

Its just not as fun as Warband.
  17. Sword_of_Light

[Lore] Vaegir Guard in Bannerlord?

Vaegirs are kingdom in MB and MB Warband and successors to the Sturgians. Same thing with Khergits and Khuzaits.
    I should have said Vaegir Guard.
  18. Sword_of_Light

Defending against sieges

I've done it once, and lost, as I was defending with a 10-1 disadvantage. But the last game I was present for a siege defense, the enemy army broke siege several times, for no reason I could tell, never actually attacking the walls once.
  19. Sword_of_Light

[Lore] Vaegir Guard in Bannerlord?

Wasn't the Vaegir Guard being the bodyguards of the Calradic Emperors a thing in Warband? Wouldn't be surprised if its acknowledged here.

It would make sense, if the Empire is fantasy Byzantium, the Vaegir would be the Varangian Guard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard
  20. Sword_of_Light

AI Army compositions makes no sence at all to the players Recruiting capability 1.4.2 Beta

Melee cavalry also seem to head for the densest pack of enemies - at least on F4 - which worked in Warband when you could just plow through them. Now you've just got dead cavalry, and not a lot of casualties to show for it. I'm honestly baffled how Campaign is supposed to be played on any setting other than the easiest.
Back
Top Bottom