Search results for query: *

1. TheGrainMan

Modding in C# feels incredibly boring and tedious.

To be fair, python,Lisp and C were not designed for complex gameplay programming. Can you imagine writing gameplay code in Unreal Engine 4 with these languages? It would be a nightmare. C# is the right choice because it offers scalability and maintainability of complex code but has a much easier learning curve than C++. Out of all the object oriented programming languages out there that offers a balance of scalability and ease of use, C# strikes the right balance. I agree there might be more boilerplate for some cases compared to say Python, but you have to understand we need to cater for all kinds of projects large or small. Every language has its weaknesses and strengths and we can't please everyone for all cases. If you are making a small and simple mod, then C# is overkill but if you are making a complex overhaul, then C# is the way to go... or C++ or even Rust.
    Eh I'm not really impressed by what I've seen so far. There's entire DLLs in Bannerlord of several hundred lines that could be boiled down to basically a C struct. I think this language forces you to over engineer everything. I agree about it being easier to use than C++ though. If it was C++ or Rust I wouldn't even bother to try.
  2. TheGrainMan

Paid double for a buggy game and feeling like a stupid now!

1st bold you bring up having no choice while also giving possible choices. Since Epic has been brought up here they are a great example of this. I choose not to use them because I don't like their business practices. Sure they have given away games for free that I would like but I still choose to not download their launcher and I can still buy those games on another platform. For their exclusives, I guess I won't play that game then, you always have a choice. You can use this same mentality for EA games. If you don't like EA don't buy an EA title, if publishers keep releasing crap, stop buying from them until they prove otherwise.

2nd bold, this is off base. How would this responsibility fall on the store? This is the responsibility of the devs first and the consumer second. If the dev doesn't hold their end of the agreement you as the consumer should not partake in their product.
    Well how the hell am I the consumer supposed to know whether I like it or not in 2 hours??
  3. TheGrainMan

[UNPOPULAR OPINION] The amount of "mods" on nexus will KILL the game

You discovered getters and setters? Wow that's incredible. In any modern language they wouldn't even exist.
  4. TheGrainMan

Why don't you show us some decompiled code you found useful. I'm really curious. I have looked at it all morning and it's a garbled mess.
  5. TheGrainMan

Umm... they are categorized in Bannerlord as well.
    How are you accessing that page? I have been trying to find that and I can't.
  6. TheGrainMan

... a bunch of nonsense...
    The only possible way they could support the modders less would be to not release the game at all, lol. Decompiled DLLs are not code and you can't see the implementation since the compiler changes the implementation for efficiency and other concerns. I'm not saying other games support modders any better, because a lot of them don't, but TaleWorlds has nothing to lose by doing so. It would cost them $0 to let modders see documentation/source code, and if it's a licensing concern they could easily make you sign something before you have access to it, and revoke that access on bad behavior.

I'm very curious to see your own programming skills at work if you think this is good support. I have a sneaking suspicion your experience is 0.

Edit: Here's a nice line I just pulled from the decompiler:
    if (targetPropertyValue == null && property.GetValue((object) this.DefaultBrush.DefaultLayer) != null || targetPropertyValue != null && !targetPropertyValue.Equals(property.GetValue((object) this.DefaultBrush.DefaultLayer)) || property.Name == "Name")
    Why don't you explain that line to us since you're such a Bannerlord modding genius?
  7. TheGrainMan

Uninstalled, Suggested Animation/Mechanic Improvements

I agree completely about the AI - it's way less sophisticated than I think people realize. It's not any better than Warband from a technical standpoint. It does have a bit more variety in actions and commands so it performs marginally better as a commander.

As for your other views, I disagree on a lot of them. BUT I think way more things should be toggleable. If you want HP regeneration, that should be a toggle option available to you. Then you can be happy and I can be happy playing the same game with different options. I detest having to install 1000 mods just to bring the game to a comfortable state for each player's preferences.
  8. TheGrainMan

A 90-employee studio with ONE actively-maintained product is releasing only ONE THREE-LINE bug fix patch per week. Unbelievable.

You guys must all have been playing different early access games to me. There are 2 types of "early access" games that are available these days. The first type is when a massive company like EA releases a game a couple of weeks early. The game is already completed and tbh its just a marketing gimmick. The second type is when the early access is designed in such a way to essentially beta test the game. The bannerlord early access release is obviously the latter, they also made it rather clear that this was the case beforehand.

Secondly, I dont think ive ever come across a game which allows modding and has an active modding userbase, where modders do NOT fix problems before the devs. Infact I would go so far as to say that the larger the company that is doing the release, generally (although this is anecdotal) the slower the rate of patches that are released. Games developed by very large companies which are moddable will frequently go through months and months with the simplest bugs not being patched. Hell you even get user fixes in games which are not meant to be modded before the devs put a fix out.

I have never bought an early access game where the volume of patches was similar to what taleworlds are pushing out (very small indie devs aside). Perhaps you'd prefer if they did what most big studios do, and basically do nothing for half a year and then drop one larger patch? You know what happens when that occurs? Player complain about not being part of the process and that decisions and balance are being done counter to what they suggest. Every single early access ive seen the playerbase complain about not getting enough information, and not seeing roadmaps. Just go and play another game, and in future dont buy stuff in early access. The amount of whinging and whining is so tedious.
    "which allows modding" That's a very strong statement with BL. In case you're not aware, any modding is done by decompiling the game, LOL! 0/negative support by the devs. The fact that people are managing to fix bugs without source code or documentation is pretty incredible.

And if it's taking them a long time to develop/test patches that's because the structure is too complex and not modular enough. I would say after going through the DLLs this morning BL is very complex.
  9. TheGrainMan

This is a Nexus problem that they are not categorizing Bannerlord mods. For example with Warband, you can select to view only 'total conversions'. They need better organization. I agree that it is very difficult to find mods on Nexus right now.

In fact Nexus seems to really be going downhill lately. Maybe time for a new website/software.

The reason only "Tweaks" are available now is because the devs are not supporting modding AT ALL right now. Basically negative support. Modders have to decompile the game libraries to even find class names. If/when the devs provide the promised tools and documentation we may see better and larger mods appear.
  10. TheGrainMan

Paid double for a buggy game and feeling like a stupid now!

Early Access doesn't mean Early Access anymore... Just about every single game now is released in Early Access and many of them never leave it. So really you have no choice anymore. If you want to play, you buy Early Access, if not you'll never play. Really the only games that don't do EA are ones that are sold somewhere other than Steam first.

IMO Steam should only allow a game to be EA if the developers provide a clear timeline including specific features of when it will hit Alpha, Beta, release, etc. And if they don't meet that timeline it should offer a refund to early backers. I really don't support the idea of a game making a big profit before release anyway. Just encourages bad behavior and devs to abandon a game once they've milked enough buyers. You see a lot of very low effort games now that never come close to being finished, because finishing is not profitable.
  11. TheGrainMan

Modding in C# feels incredibly boring and tedious.

I am also learning C# to try and mod Bannerlord and I have to agree with OP's assessment of the language. Coming from Python, Lisp, even C it seems like a TON of boilerplate to do even simple tasks. If I understand the paradigm correctly, in order to mod any feature you have to override the entire class? What a waste. In Python for example, you can just monkey patch in a specific method or attribute and avoid blasting an entire base class. Seems overriding classes is just going to create unnecessary conflicts between mods and between different versions. The whole public/private layout of the code I have viewed so far in dotPeek seems arbitrary and entirely unnecessary. Tons of getters and setters that do nothing but retrieve an attribute or set that attribute.
  12. TheGrainMan

TaleWorlds Modding Q&A

How can I debug the UI? I'm looking for example right now for the dialogue when you encounter 2 parties fighting and want to choose which side to support. I'm having a really hard time finding the specific XML/c# class describing it. I see the Developer Console mod provides a ui.toggle_debug_mode command but it appears this mod is no longer supported as of 1.4.2+

Edit: I tried ui.toggle_debug_mode on an earlier version of Bannerlord and it's not what I'm looking for either. I'm trying to find a way to find the specific class that controls a dialogue screen.
  13. TheGrainMan

In Progress [1.4.2e] "Cheering" at the end of a battle prevents attacking routing enemies

A toggle for these things would be nice too. I can understand the devs made an effort to add realism with cheering and such but it stops being funny after about the 235th time you see it. It just gets annoying. Especially when your troops let lords escape.
  14. TheGrainMan

In Progress [1.4.2e] "Cheering" at the end of a battle prevents attacking routing enemies

Calling what I said "nonsense" without having any viable argument... that's the spirit kid. Well done!

Let's stop playing any game that is not centred around the Gulf War or Syrian war since we weren't alive in those times. Heck, perhaps entire WW1-WW2 didn't happen man, damn, who knows? We weren't alive at all. Perhaps Germans and Russians were just playing snowball. Sharing grenade shaped beers and having the time of their lives.

Perhaps you should just play Minecraft if you don't like historical/behavioural accuracy. I would advise you to read Herodotus or Machiavelli but apparently it's not in your skillset so I won't bother.
    Sorry bud. There's nothing historical about cheering so hard you forget to fight the battle. Maybe you should interact with people a bit more if you think they behave like that.
  15. TheGrainMan

In Progress TW PLEASE FOCUS ON FIXING SEIGE AI PATHFINDING ETC

+1 this is IMO the most gamebreaking issue. About half of my sieges as attacker with ladders/towers end in stalemate due to pathfinding issues.
  16. TheGrainMan

It is, actually, historically correct. Hence I personally don't think it's a bug. Even though I'm sure Taleworlds didn't do that intentionally.

For example, I think this can be also counted as a bug:
    • When you charge your troops to an enemy, after a few seconds of a clash, some of them (a sometimes big portion of your army ) chases the already running away soldiers, even though the battle is far from being over and a few meters away there are lots of enemies still waiting for them to attack. This breaks your formation and makes you more exposed to remaining soldiers.
    But this, also cannot be classified as bug because it is something happened quite often in history. So frequently that some historians say that Athenians won the Battle of Marathon because rookies/recruits -surprisingly- didn't chase the running away soldiers and kept their formation. And pushed back the enemy as a single block of force. But I'm pretty sure Taleworlds didn't consider this human-behavioural case specially.
    What nonsense. Getting really annoying every time you report a bug some neckbeard appears to say "WELL ACKTUALLY...". Bannerlord is not a historical simulator but more importantly you weren't alive in ~800AD so you have NO IDEA what happened then.
  17. TheGrainMan

Resolved prisoners disappearing

Makes sense. Which mod are you using? I could not find it.
    It's been deleted from Nexus, no idea why.
  18. TheGrainMan

Can't attack other armies when not at war?

raid a village?

do remember you are not the king, so starting wars by yourself is not a way to be popular in your faction ...
    this, unfortunately. I think the default behavior in m&b should be to allow every possible action for every scenario. There are mods for this for warband, I'm sure there will be for bannerlord soon.
  19. TheGrainMan

Break up the major factions

Or/and have actual meaningful wars instead of the RNG nonsense that hasn't changed since 2007
  20. TheGrainMan

Resolved prisoners disappearing

They are escaping. The escape rate of vanilla is insanely high. I'm using a mod to patch this until it gets adjusted
Back
Top Bottom