Search results for query: *

1. eddiemccandless

Ukraine Today

It's kind of a win win either way whether it's an information campaign or not. Those where it's impossible to know what's true and isn't and it really could go either way are the best kind, and in this case it doesn't matter what the truth is.
  2. eddiemccandless

should the forum rules state no AI generated text?

Could they really be used to have 'Hey, bot, make a post about ABC, my opinion is XYZ, go boy, fetch'?
    Chat GPT can do exactly that. I had it try to write the abstract for a scientific paper on a given topic in my field just to see what it would produce, and while there were some things that were slightly off it was way, way better than many I have seen in actual papers, and it would have been very difficult for someone to tell that it was AI generated (basically impossible for anyone not knowledgeable on the topic).

It is definitely worse at writing other types of content, e.g. fiction (I asked it to write a short novel on a genetic fantasy orcs VS humans battle, but with the twist that the orcs were the good guys - the result was quite amusing).
  3. eddiemccandless

What made you lose faith in humanity today?

That's one way to see it. Another way to see it is that her standards are on par with a former US president. Where does that leave us? I have no idea.
  4. eddiemccandless

What made you lose faith in humanity today?

I too run exclusive, invitation only dinners at my home.

Seriously, if I get home and find you eating at my kitchen table I am calling the cops. Y'all be warned.

Edit: I mean to be fair after reading her story she did what Trump has done all his life. The only reason why she's doing house arrest is because she's foreign and wasn't born already rich. :iamamoron:
  5. eddiemccandless

What are you playing right now?

I've seen modders releasing free mods and claiming they are doing it for themselves, but ultimately the act of releasing something to the general public proves them wrong. Once you give out something free and acknowledge the praise for your benevolence of providing free fun, you are doing it for others too. Because you always were once you decided to release it.
    So it is your responsibility not just to do whatever you feel like, but to listen to players and address their issues, even if you are working for free. (And the DF crew were not even doing that, relying on donations for years.)

I am a bit puzzled by this to be honest. I have seen PoP devs push back pretty strongly against players that were requesting things that were against their vision for the mod (like, I don't know, more Noldors! Or more high fantasy elements). I don't think I saw you doing that so I guess you would have given in to players requests? Not what I would have expected.

My view is that games are a creative endeavor, and as such they should follow the view of the artist that makes them. Then if people like them they will buy them. DF classic is like abstract art. Definitely not for everyone (as I said I couldn't get into it), but you gotta acknowledge the craftsmanship that went into it.
  6. eddiemccandless

What are you playing right now?

I am having a blast with the steam DF myself, I had tried playing it in the past but just couldn't get past the awful UI. A couple of comments on the discussion:

1) There are significant design advantages in choosing the ASCII approach over full UI/graphics when you are developing something and making a lot of changes on the fly. Trying out something fundamentally new is a lot easier if you have ASCII based graphics than if you have to redesign animations for the feature that you have in mind. Using ASCII also allows you more freedom and creativity. Overall it's faster and sleeker and I think it's a big reason for why DF became so complex over time.

2) I played both DF and RimWorld, I enjoyed both but honestly RimWorld did not keep my interest. It felt shallow. With DF I can still see the randomization under the hood but it's complex enough that it feels less noticeable.

3) You actually can not be neurodivergent and home and "professional" at work. That is not at all how that works. If you are neurodivergent you should play to your strengths and create weird and fantastic things that no one else would have been able to produce, like say a really quirky ASCII based dorf simulator that paves the way for multiple game genres :smile:

4) I don't really know much about the people who made the game so I am not sure if 3) applies at all here. However, to that I would add that all mathematicians I met in my life (and I know a decent number because of my job) think and act in a way that is fundamentally different from what most people do. And by that I don't mean better, or even smarter, just different. It's a completely different way of thinking so honestly when I found out that a math PhD was involved in this I was like "ah yes that checks out".
  7. eddiemccandless

TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

I am also going to point out that you can rehearse to do what he is doing in those videos without fully understanding what you're talking about. I know, because I have done it when I had to give a presentation or demonstration of somebody else's work which I only understood to a point. In fact there's a couple of moments where he is hesitating enough that it makes me suspect that that's exactly what is happening right here.

Not necessarily saying that he doesn't understand how the rockets work mind you. But his knowledge is probably not as deep as he is trying to show, and ultimately I have to go back to what was said previously about him being unreliable in his presentation of information. The man is mercurial, frankly just a liar, and honestly at this point I find very little point in listening to anything he has to say
  8. eddiemccandless

Dating Thread, v. II

So this is my anxiety talking, "what if they believe crazy antivax stuff, but otherwise are great women for me - what is really a red flag and a justified dealbreaker, and what is inconsequential stupid **** that can be tolerated". I don't want to miss on a good woman because I'm priggish about facts and rationality.
    In the end you are the only person who can answer that question. Being an antivaxxer seems like a pretty strong and fundamental incompatibility to me though. What happens when say you end up having kids and she refuses to have them vaccinated? Other things might be fine - my wife believes in ghosts, which makes me shake my head and chuckle to myself but doesn't really do any harm. Worst case we might have to pass on buying a creepy house for cheaper when we finally have enough money saved for a US housing market down payment in 2085.
  9. eddiemccandless

Having never interacted with the man I have no way to evaluate that. It is especially difficult to evaluate when he is surrounded by individuals who obviously are extremely intelligent and whose work he can take credit for. It also depends on how you define intelligence and that's a whole conversation that is beside the point.

You can be an engineer and extremely stupid, and you can be very intelligent without being an engineer. Requirements to be an engineer vary depending on where you live, but they typically range from pass a state exam to have a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.

And yes in case you were wondering I am an engineer myself, and yes I am going to be extremely petty about this :smile:.

One thing that I will say is that his behavior and his constant lying/spreading conspiratorial nonsense during and after COVID completely shattered any esteem that I could have had of him. Given how erratic he has been I definitely am not very inclined to take any of his future, present or past claims at face value.
  10. eddiemccandless

We can't all be human.
    Musk is an engineer used to selling cars and technology, doing trade and such.
    The media business is very different. It could be someone from entertainment, film/TV, the news business, or simply other social media.
    I would like to point out just for everyone's information that Elon Musk is not actually an engineer. As in, his degree is in physics and economics. I believe that he has the title of chief engineer at some of his companies, but that would be like me buying a hospital and calling myself a chief nurse.
  11. eddiemccandless

Following that logic we should all get banned. I have shared things on social media from accounts who I am sure shared links to people's profile who probably shared links to people's profiles who shared misinformation.

You can't go from "I am a free speech absolutist" to this crap, come on.
  12. eddiemccandless

People interested in this story might want to read this:

The short version: the character who shared the location of Musk's jet is definitely a little sketchy. He is also not a journalist. The journalists that were banned posted reports on the story of the supposed stalker, and the police statements on it. They also have covered Musk heavily in the previous weeks. As far as I can tell none of the journalists actually doxxed anyone. Make of that what you will.
  13. eddiemccandless

That's exactly the point. As far as I know there was no police report filed, and there's no evidence that anyone was actually threatening his family. His tweet should be considered as reliable as his other tweets are. This is an open view on his "free speech absolutism" (that honestly was already evidently fake given how he handles criticism from his employees).

My guess would be that this is a desperate attempt to drive engagement (we're talking about him after all aren't we?).
  14. eddiemccandless

corona? :(

It was very unfun but I am back to normal.

We still have isolation policies if you have it here but they are very reduced, and aside from that it's pretty much treated as any other disease. Care for it seems to be based on paxlovid for people who are at risk and other medications as appropriate.
  15. eddiemccandless

Starting game with a kingdom. Balance issue. Saved by the poor A.I.

Someone else may, and probably will, suggest them to make another change to game, that improves issues with mods.
    I'm saying this would be a good thing to fix. Nothing else.
    And this does not have to do with mods either: to adjust campaign start could be a nice thing if you don't even use mods.
    Why is it a problem to you?

You be a good nice person and play what is handed to you. I might criticize or suggest improvement, in MY opinion.
    I'm with you man, TW should be browsing through mod repositories and carefully examine every single one of them and then rebalance their entire game according to that analysis. And this should be repeated at least once a week.

Anything less than that would be just plain lazy honestly. Just fix the thingy, easy peasy.
  16. eddiemccandless

corona? :(

I finally got it myself. 39.4 fever (103 in funny units) and generally unfun, 1/10 would not play again. Looking forward to calling my doctor tomorrow morning.
  17. eddiemccandless

Abbandonare regno

Lo dico perché ho l'impressione che non sia chiaro: i moderatori in questo forum sono volontari e non hanno nulla a che fare con TW. Sono giocatori come me e te che fanno i moderatori per bontà loro e non perché sono pagati dalla ditta.

Marda è pagato/a da TW come community manager, quindi non è un developer ma può riportare gli errori a loro e darti qualche indicazione su cosa fare. Detto questo il supporto si questo gioco è quello che è, lo stato del gioco è quello che è e stiamo mugugnando in tanti su questa cosa nella sezione internazionale... Chi più chi meno. Inclusi alcuni dei moderatori.
  18. eddiemccandless

2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Let's be real though, no one actually laughs on the internet. At most we mildly snort some air from our noses while typing "lol"
  19. eddiemccandless

Ukraine Today

What Weaver said was my point. There's no reason to assign war atrocities that might or might not have happened to Russia when there's plenty of obvious to be pointing at.
Back
Top Bottom