Search results for query: *

1. The Director

My issues with Bannerlord.

Ohh! Are we complaining about Bannerlord!!!?!?! Lemme get some of this action.

-The "main quest" is pointless. No rewards and barely provides the player a pat on the back for completing it, despite how difficult and time consuming it is. Warband had it right.
    -Sieges are gross. The settlements have massive advantages, unless you own them, and you can't starve them out. Imagine my disgust when I brought an entire year's worth of food and found out that only the garrison will die from starvation. The enemy lords, however, seem to be able to hang out indefinitely with their armies intact.
    -The ability to craft weapons is cool. However, to get the materials to do so you have to either spends tens of thousands of gold on weapons to dismantle them, or waste your skill upgrades to get the right 'perks' at the expense of being able to unlock parts. Even if you get the skill as high as it is possible to get it (somewhere in the 400's), there's still a chance you have some locked parts. And to top it off, you can't make armor.
    -Limited customization with of clan emblem. Seriously, I've seen single dev games with better customization options.
    -Limited options to gain land. Usually requires tons of cheese. It's cool that you get to choose the bannerlord though :p
    -Criminal stuff is incomplete and useless. Becoming a bandit is a dead-end option. Fighting criminals in a city will increase your relations with notables (relations which will go up anyway) but decrease your relation with whoever you're attacking. Great for locking off recruits from yourself for no good reason.
    -The only way to prevent robber-barons is to kill them, which can lead to rebellions because their relations with lords that have joined you/notable under your control do not deteriorate at all. Even if they perform actions which would normally cause relationship deterioration.
    -Marrying people off has no point. Neither does marrying into a family. I usually marry Ira for ****s and giggles, but it has never awarded me any sort of advantage other than having her in my party. Even if Rhagaea dies the nobles vote for the next ruler, which likely won't be you or Ira.
    -The skills and perks are broken. Leveling is so slow that by the time you have the skills to actually do something cool (without cheating or cheesing), your character is at risk of dying from old age. The only skill that allows a reasonable grind time is smithing.
    And now for the meta things! :grin:
    -The wiki is less helpful to learn about game mechanics than reddit threads. Hell, the actual wikipedia page might be more helpful.
    -This game has been in development for ~12 years (EA began in 2020, 10 years after dev began) with more people developing it than Warband, and it doesn't even have as much content as Warband. To me it feels like every step forward the devs take, they take two steps backward trying to prevent 'snowballing'.
    -They seriously charged 49.99 for this.
    /rant

Seriously though, I like the game enough to care about stuff like this. It has a lot of potential, and I'm hoping it lives up to it.
  2. The Director

Statement regarding Singleplayer IV

Near Hearth & Home

• Cutscenes
      • Cutscenes or “Scene Notifications” were first teased in our future plans’ post. Since then we have created a number of these animations for different story and world events to add more weight to them. They presented a multi-disciplinary challenge (to Design, UI, Art & Animation, Engine, Campaign Gameplay, Audio and QA), but we are quite happy with how they have turned out so far.
    Sweet.
    • Scenes
      • Over the course of development our focus shifted away from smaller locations and more towards ensuring greater variety and quality in core gameplay areas. As such, we have been working hard on creating the remaining town scenes, which will offer new siege challenges, as well as additional battle terrains to cover further regions of interest. Naturally, we also continue to improve our existing scenes.
      • As this concerns a particularly large body of work, it won’t all drop at once but there will be continuous updates.
    Nice.
    • Sieges
      • Sieges represent one of our most complex gameplay experiences and we continue to polish the many pieces that make up this puzzle. To give a recent example, we overhauled the way that both AI attackers and defenders use troop transfers (between formations) in sieges. This was done to reduce transfers at inconvenient times, in quick succession or with poor overall oversight, which could lead to large numbers of soldiers being transferred from opposite sites unnecessarily.
    Cool. Suggestion: Ability to avoid the battle altogether by starving out the enemy. Not just the garrison, but the lords and such as well.
    • Battles
      • While combat is certainly one of the game’s strong points, there are always things to be improved upon - and one of them is the way in which reinforcements enter the battlefield. Specifically, we have been working on means to prevent cases of “spawn camping” and troops suddenly appearing in the middle of an active fight.
    Lol yeah, that can get troublesome. Maybe alternate spawn points would solve it.
    • Armor Effectiveness
      • This has been a topic of passionate discussion and we are happy to let you know that we are close to releasing an adjustment aimed at making armor more effective. This will not adopt the warband system, but it will go towards stronger protection.
    Yay!
    • Main Hero Battle Death
      • Given all the extra armor, it may be time to raise the stakes.
    Yes, it's optional.
    Cool feature. Will it lead to an immediate game over, or will your 'heir' take the reins? Also, will you be able to select your heir if you have a ton of children?
    • Combat Mechanic Improvements
      • We have gone over the combat mechanics for knock down, dismounting and push back and removed the random factor to allow for a more reliable and predictable experience for players. Among other things, we also introduced a new resistance variable that is derived from character skills. This allows us to make some troops and heroes less vulnerable to these mechanics and will allow players to develop their characters to become less vulnerable as well.
    Awesome.
    • Army AI Improvements
      • In recent months, we spent quite a bit of time reviewing, adjusting and testing the army AI. In essence, we set out to address the following items:
        • Less Patrolling, More Sieging
        • Less Starving, More Sieging
        • Less Recruiting, More Sieging
        • Better Cohesion Management, More Sieging
        • Other trickery to the same end
      • We also don’t like peacetime armies.
    Peacetime armies are a great way to cheese influence though :sad:
    • “Party Templates”
      • The idea of parties that reflect their leader’s preferences has gone through some iterations since we originally shared it. Nonetheless, we still intend to pursue the approach that weighs recruitment and upgrading according to this preference. The initial, releasable implementation is close to completion and we hope to soon evaluate it further based on player feedback.
    I'm not sure that I'm understanding this correctly. Is this something that affects the player or the AI? Like, imperial AI will have imperial parties?
    • Disorganized State
      • We have gone over the conditions and effects of the disorganized state, which temporarily weakens parties and armies after a recent challenge, to make it more meaningful and consistent.
    Extremely annoying mechanic. 10/10
    • Item variety
      • What's a warrior without their weapon? In an effort to increase the general variety of equipment, we have been working on a number of new crafting pieces as well as making some of the existing pieces available across additional weapon types.
    Gotta love more crafting! Would be even better if we could craft armor too :smile:
    • Crafting Unlock Overhaul
      • With this broader pool of crafting pieces, we also had another look at how crafting works. We don’t really like that all crafting pieces are unlocked from the same source. Instead, we want to provide more of a sense of specialization. Thus, future smiths will, for example, need to craft axes to unlock axe pieces.
    I'm surprised that this wasn't how it was initially set-up. Came as a real shock when I unlocked a T5 ax-head by dismantling a dagger.
    • Simulation Health
      • Economy
        • While this has always been a point of importance to us, we set out to review and address two issues in particular in recent months. For one, some items were too profitable in general while others didn’t have enough regional price distinction. This made trade much less engaging than we would like it to be. Similarly, due to the same market dynamics, workshops were suffering as well. If you bought the right one, there was little reason to engage with it again and more often than not “the right one” came down to the same small set of options. The changes we made to supply and demand have had promising results so far.
      • Recruit balance
        • Calradians have seemingly always been happy to join a good fight. However, recruits are not just plentiful but oftentimes overly powerful. This has been raised in the community before and we also recognize it as an issue and have made according adjustments to the way notables develop their troops.
      • AI Prisoner Management
        • It is not just recruits that are plentiful but also prisoners. So much so that calradian dungeons would overflow as time passed. We have been looking into a solution for this and will likely share it with you soon.
      • Child generation
        • Despite our previous adjustments to the adult population, there was still a problem with an initial generational gap. To address this, we will likely generate additional children with different ages at the start of the game for any clans that fall under a given member limit. As an extra, this should also make such clans more viable.
    1. I think most players use workshops as fire-and-forget options to increase true-troop cap (i.e. how many troops you can have without losing gold daily). Having to interact with workshops to keep them functional may stifle core gameplay. Definitely would like to own something other than breweries though. :smile:
    2. I don't mind having recruits be recruits.
    3. Could have the AI execute their enemies. Saves my axe some work :smile:
    4. Sweet.
    • Character Respeccing
      • With the multitude of perks that the game offers, it can be difficult to find the character setup that is just right for you. Fortunately, it will soon no longer be required to wait for your heir to take over or to start a new game to try out another character build. Instead, you will be able to change the perks of your characters and clan members as you play.
    Yay!
    • Skill experience gains
      • Character development is an important aspect of the game that follows the principle of learning by doing. While this generally works, we feel that some skills don’t yet offer an adequate progression. Fortunately, the aforementioned economy changes should help with trade. Additionally, we have also been working on more tailored adjustments for all combat skills, leadership, roguery and engineering. We look forward to your feedback on this.
    I'm the wrong person to give feedback on this. In my opinion, after 100+ hours of intense gameplay I should be rping a demi-god. But there's a good chunk of players who seem to be masochists these days, so they might not enjoy such a thing.
    • Immersion & Quality of Life
      • There are many adjustments that relate to this category in some way. Below you will find a few of the ones we thought interesting.
      • Additional AI Offers
        • We were quite happy with the reception and impact of AI ransom and peace offers to the player. These new notifications make the world feel more alive and we want to build upon them. For this purpose, we are exploring marriage, mercenary and vassalage offers.
      • Encyclopedia Information
        • The all knowing encyclopedia is not just a challenge to immersion, but also inconsistent with our scouting mechanic. To address this, we are working on similar limitations to the encyclopedia that will create a form of “Fog of War ” for those that are outside the reach of the player or their agents.
      • Party Management Options
        • Clan members can, at times, be a hassle to track down and manage. To address this, we have been exploring new options to send, recall and exchange them.
      • Civilian Scenes
        • Our towns and castles have a range of NPC characters that can partake in numerous activities to give the location life. However, castles, in particular, were still a bit underpopulated. This should be improved in future versions of the game as we increased the population and their use of animation points in a number of settlements.
      • World Map & Associated Visuals
        • Much like scenes, the world map can make or break immersion. We therefore decided to allocate some time towards resolving issues with party teleporting, floating and rotating among a number of other tweaks. Of course, we also always continue to polish the actual map.
    1. Awesome!
    2. I'm not even sure how to access the encyclopedia! :grin:
    3. Great!
    4. This would be cool, but honestly there's little to no reason to even enter the castle unless you're hardcore role-playing. Maybe adding reasons first would justify the resources spent adding char animations?
    5. Fixing bugs is always a plus!
    • Audio
      • Improved UI sounds
        • We added new sounds all around the UI and revised some existing ones for coherence. To provide an example, you will now be able to hear audio feedback when a persuasion attempt goes awry or pleasant.
      • Horse sound revisions
        • As a constant request, we have been working on improving the audibility of approaching horses and fixed some bugs in the occlusion system that prevented some sounds from being played. This is an ongoing work, and more improvements will arrive as time passes.
        • We improved horse physics sounds to make it more impactful when they die.
      • Ambient upgrades
        • Quad ambiences were another topic in our future plans post. They are a great means to make scenes sound more believable and our work on them is ongoing. A few of the ambients have been updated to Quads, and we fixed some crucial spatialization bugs while we were at it.
    Sounds good. :wink:
    • Localization
      • The localization effort also continues. Even though we have now released translations for Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish (Latin American) and Russian that does not mean that we are at the end of their journey. We greatly appreciate all the feedback that we have received on this front and are working with our partners to process it. We are also happy to say that German is close to being shared as well.
    Das ist gut. Allerdings nicht für mich. Ich spreche kein Deutsch.
    A ways ahead

As the attentive reader will surely have noticed, there are some topics that we haven’t covered yet. In our future plans, we spoke about Banner Bearers, Claimant Quests, Sally Outs and Vocalization. These are all areas that we are still pursuing, but they will require some time yet. Once we have made more progress on them and other topics, we will be happy to share further details.

Please keep in mind that the items discussed here are neither all-encompassing nor set in stone, and we will adjust them if the need arises.
    Coolio, can't wait to see what's next.
  3. The Director

What do you think about the Story Mode? SPOILER

Honestly I'm not even sure what the point of the main story is other than to justify the name of the game. You don't get any quest rewards, there's no real sense of closure when completing it, and most players just ignore the damned thing.

The added lore is cool... I guess... but honestly that should just be where it ends and your 'adventure' begins.
  4. The Director

Sieges, razing, governors, alliances, and land acquisition

1. There needs to be a way to prevent soldiers from attempting to assault the walls. It wastes so many soldiers when I have siege weapons or if I go open the gate myself. I hate how I can't just make them assault the gate only or wait by the gate for me to breach it. I do not want them to assault the walls most times, and there should be a way to prevent my soldiers from attempting to take the walls.

2. There needs to be better ways to maintain loyalties and governors in settlements. Governors should be separate from your companion count. I should be able to either have one additional companion per castle and city or just have governors be their own thing with a separate count. Often, companions aren't good governors anyways so governors should be their on thing. Possibly, you could appoint someone from the surrounding towns as a governor. I want my companions for combat or leading armies. Having them hold settlements to keep loyalty up is such a waste.

3. There needs to be an easier way to get land in this game if you want to b independent from a kingdom. A good fix would be if as a mercenary, you could get land with your influence. It is impossible to get land without it being a rebel city unless you are a vassal.

4. A related issue is that you should be able to separate from a kingdom without losing all opinion and land. If you are a vassal and you want to start your own kingdom, there is no pathway for that.

5. There should be better diplomacy options for making alliances through marriage or other means. There should be an option to do a joint war and call in your allies if you are at war. It is impossible to not get crushed as a small kingdom if a large kingdom declares war on you.

6. Towns should be able to repel small armies without help. 12 soldiers should not be able to raze a town. IRL they would bet killed by the town peasants. Towns should have a population that gets converted to militia if the town is getting razed. I hate how when I am at war, I basically have to behead everyone so they can't make 12 man armies to raze my towns and decrease my food and loyalty. Another option would be for the castle or city garrison to be able to repel these raiders.
    1. Problem: An open gate can be close again. The AI seeks to do so at the earliest opportunity, even ignoring combat to do so. This can result in your soldiers being trapped between gates. Fix: The AI will not assault through the gate unless the gate is broken.

2. Your family members typically make good governors, but they also make good everything else. Having to decide which is more important to you is an integral part of the game.

3. Agreed. To get land as a non-vassal you can either become a criminal and siege (aka get rekt unless you cheat), wait for a rebellion to break out and race against the faction that the rebellion is against while hoping you have enough soldiers to take the town/castle (because you can't starve them out), or spend a frankly ridiculous amount of time to level up your trade and save up millions of gold to buy a settlement. You can't even encourage a rebellion, or cause a rebellion without being in charge of the settlement in question.

4. Agreed. Rebelling against your current liege is a time-honored tradition in feudalism. Giving back your land AND taking a huge opinion loss is probably one of the top 5 dumbest decisions that have been made in the development of this game so far.

5. Agreed, except for the impossible to not get crushed part. Smith-for-gold and keep a massive garrison of T2 imperials. Up to the limit if you can. Then you skirmish with the smaller enemies while running from the large armies until the AI gets tired and is willing the send you a peace treaty. If you do enough skirmishing, they'll even pay you.

6. I think you mean villages, and I agree. If you try to raze a village with a small force the village will rise up against you, but they won't do the same against the AI. Having to constantly run around fending off robber-barons is a dumb mechanic.
  5. The Director

Mount and blade: Warband- Companions missing for months

Make sure you have room in your party for both of them and wait three days straight. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.
  6. The Director

when will the ability to turn off auto save and save to slots be added

The saving is what I find most frustrating about the console port. I understand that with achievements you want to limit 'exploits' as much as possible but no save slots? Come on. I've had to start three characters from level 1 just to play the way I want to. You have to use at least two characters to get all the single player achievements, but realistically you're looking at between four or five. That's a ridiculous number of lvl 1 play-throughs.

Also, what's up with the inability to import/export characters? I thought that would at least have shown up since you removed save slots. Instead of resetting the map at level 1 EVERY TIME I want to play a new round, starting at level 30 so I don't have to grind sea raiders would be awesome.
  7. The Director

What did I get myself into?

That'll happen when you've got the difficulty anywhere north of medium. When you're playing >normal you don't go after the big fish until you are also a big fish.

The normal tactic I've noticed when multiple nations are at war with one powerful nation, the powerful nation will attack the weakest nation it is at war with. Either in land mass or number of lords. You should seek a truce with the nords and allow the other nations to widdle them down a bit. Just secure your primary territories as best as you can and hunker down for the minimum number of days until you can truce. Then watch the other nations either get pwnd or pwn the nords.

You can also consider attacking the next weakest nation to gain more territory and lords after you make peace with the nords. More lords = more armies and more armies = better chance against a larger nation.
  8. The Director

Future mod support

I don't know how it would work to be honest, and we might end up with Xbone getting the mods and PS4 not getting them. Sony is a bit of a jerk when it comes to their proprietary tech, which is why Fallout 4 and Skyrim Remastered likely aren't going to ever get mod support.

Microsoft is alright with mod support, but only if the mods that are supported meet their CoC as well as their T&Cs. So Taleworlds would have to spend quite a bit of time and money combing through the submitted mods to make sure that they comply before uploading them for us to enjoy. For Bethesda this requires an entire team of people specifically for the task.

I'm not sure if Taleworlds has the staff and infrastructure to pull it off. I'd be thrilled if I'm wrong, but I won't be getting my hopes up for mod support until we get official word otherwise.
  9. The Director

Lords Useless During Siege

I figured it out on my own. Had to read a lot of the wiki lol

For anyone wondering Lords will only follow you for a certain amount of time regardless of your status with them, apparently. Even if you've started a campaign and even given each lord the 'Follow Me' task, they will only hang out for a few days at most if you are standing still. So Lords will usually wander off after 24 hours of a siege.

Some may stick around longer than that, but I haven't seen one that will stay 48 or more hours.
  10. The Director

Unfounded hacking claims?

Cries of hacks/cheats are not uncommon in multiplayer games. Especially so on consoles. A lot of people heard about console mods that allowed for aimbots during the MLG boom and so now in their minds anyone who beats them is a cheater.

Of course, cheating on consoles is a bit more difficult than cheating on PC. First you have to put out the money for the console, and if you make a mistake you can brick the console. If you are caught, you can get a console ban, making your console unable to play online. The only way around that is to buy yet another console. The risk/reward ratio is all out of whack.
  11. The Director

Lords Useless During Siege

On Xbox One: I made a kingdom and made myself Marshall of said kingdom. I'm finding it a little difficult to add to my kingdom due to only being able to carry 120 or so troops with me, but I figured a nice little workaround for that works on castles. See, all I have to do is make a campaign...
Back
Top Bottom