Search results for query: *

1. Global weather?

Well, this reminds me of an old similar weather related idea but with a specific regard to battles:

Have weather and terrain affect combat and movement on the battlefield.

A few examples:

If the battlefield is muddy because of heavy rains, reduce the speed of heavy cavalry.

If the field is sandy (because of desert terrain), steppe horses gain maneuverability.

If there is heavy snow on the ground, movement of all troops reduced.

Don't worry. I doubt these will be implemented, but it would be cool to know that my heavy warhorse might be a liability in the desert or that my Vaegir footmen could be more effective than Khergit cavalry.
  2. Considering the battlemap generator

The idea

the world map determines what sort of battlefield you're likely to find yourself deployed on

is a great one.

It's still, imo, a very roughly executed idea. I'm not particularly concerned that a certain type of tree may or may not be present in steppe terrain or whether it's "steppe" terrain or "desert."

I do care that terrain really is still too unpredictable; one shouldn't have to expect to be fighting on the side of a yawning precipice or on some of the hilliest terrain ever found on what appeared to be flat grasslands. Variety is good, and I realize that it's possible to encounter this type of situation from time to time (the plunging ravines, etc.) and always getting the same battlefield would be dull. HOWEVER, you should know that if you're not in the forests or near mountains, then you're very unlikely to be fighting an Alpine battle.

Still having fun regardless.
  3. Mountainous terrain

Kynes said:
    Ohh man. That's the whole point. Armagan changed the terrain editor so it was dependant on where you are in the world map. so if you're in a field on the map then it's fairly flat on the battlefield and if you're in a forest then the battlefield has got lots of trees etc etc.

If that were always or even mostly the case - that the battlefield represented our position on the world map - that would be great. One could anticipate that cavalry might not be as useful fighting in rough and steep terrain.

I've been playing enough of the new version battles to say that while I may think I'm on open grassland on the world map, the actual battlefield is likely to contain steep cliffs, ravines, dozens of hills, creeks, whathaveyou.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any of these on the battlefields - the unexpected depression, the small clumps of trees, they do add to the variety and add potential tactical considerations - but I'm seeing much too much strange terrain.

Kynes said:
    If you don't want to fight in the mountains then avoid the mountain bandits and the mountains themselves.

I think I checked the new version and you still can't enter the mountains anyway, but it is silly to allow mountain bandits the ability to carry mountains with them as appears to be the case: when you fight then, say on the plains near Praven, we shouldn't suddenly find ourselves in the mountains.

Kynes said:
    They look a damn sight better than most of the terrain generated in pevious versions. the ground is uneven and detailed instead of rounded- where in the world have you seen hills that look like the terrain in .063?

It's still abysmal, and saying it's better than in the previous versions is weak praise.

Somebody here posted that it makes for "crazy battles" - and I suppose that's true if you're looking for insane geography, A.I. opponents plunging straight to their deaths, your troops spawning on the edge of a 200 foot precipice, traveling across a level grassland only to suddenly find yourself battling in the Alps - if that's what you're looking for, you've come to the right place.

What I'm looking for is this:

My warparty heading from Zendar to Praven, a mostly flat grassland region, encounters a small warparty of mountain bandits. The battlefield that appears is a relatively level plain, with a few stands of trees, some hillocks, perhaps a small stream and some boulders. If the battle occurs closer to the impassable mountains I would expect more hills and steeper inclines, but only if we're in that area and not because the mountain bandits brought it with them.

Armagan's made a big improvement in how the world map affects battlefield terrain and I applaud that. I'm glad to see the effort made. I've enjoyed the game for months and wanted something like this all along. However, that said, there's so much to be desired in how the battlefield terrain is generated. For me, the heart of Mount&Blade is the combat, and anything that makes combat more interesting, realistic, and thoughtful is going to have a huge effect on the game, much more than anything else.
  4. enemies knowing where you are

The immediate rush into combat without much chance to deploy, seek cover, or maneuver has been one of the main reasons I've become a retired Calradian fighter and content to spend my time in the taverns telling tales of heroes and lost treasures and desperate battles.

My feeling has been for months ("way back in the day") that the distinctive difference in Mount & Blade is its robust combat engine and its mounted combat, but that is not enough.

Some of what's not so great is as the original post points out is that the enemy knows exactly where you're at when battle begins. That's partly due, I think, to efficiency: both sides get to the main event right away. And I suppose, it could be justified (in a sense) by saying, "Well, the battle presents a situation in which both sides have already done both their scouting and deployment and battle starts at that point. If one side has successfully hidden from the enemy then there's no battle to see." Of course, that eliminates ambushes and tactical advantages from having the high ground or good cover or deploying in terrain advantageous to your side. That's why I grew bored from the constant rush into battle without any tactical finesses: little chance to deploy archers on high ground, etc. You can do some minor deployments but it's generally not too crucial or fun: dismounting cavalry and standing behind the horses to slow the Dark Knights but it's hardly in character with the being a knight.

So what have I suggested in the past? Some few of them:

* More time to deploy one's troops
    * More battlefield effects on movement and spotting
    a) For example, marshes or mud slowing mounted troops, high grass
    concealing ambushers.
    * Different victory conditions for battlefield combats
    a) For example, killing enemy hero could break the enemy's morale and cause his troops to run, or the destruction of a certain building could be added as a victory condition.

Most of the suggestions I've seen keep pretending that we're fighting armies of thousands of men and just don't seem practical or relevant. What I think would be better would be to keep suggestions focused on improving our small unit combat by giving us something to do other than running straight at each other and fighting to the last man.
  5. Announcement...

sheek said:
    Hey Jon Strange. Haven't seen you for a long while.

While I no longer post because it didn't seem to matter (all our suggestions and no update) and because there wasn't any new content to comment on, I do read the forum posts from time to time, and of course, play M&B almost daily.

Ingolifs said:
    He only crawls out of the woodwork when something m&b related happens

I'm just glad to see there are still enthusiastic gamers here! Cool, wish I felt the same rush as I did when I faced my first Khergit attack.
  6. Announcement...

Maybe I should give up my peaceful life and return to the battlefield. Or not. I'll have to see the new version and hope my long-slumbering enthusiasm returns.
  7. I can't believe I'm making a thread about this.....

Lhorkan said:
    It was the famous avatar of Jonathan riding a saddle horse, waving with a black stick to some Swadians, saying "follow me to Zendar!"

Yes, that was me, wasn't it? "Follow me to Zendar!" I'd say and then lose every single bast@rd that joined my warparty. C'est la guerre.

Still waiting for M&B to bring forth something new.

Be back in a couple of weeks.
  8. I can't believe I'm making a thread about this.....

Worbah said:
    xXxkittyfighterxXx said:
    i no this may seem stupid but where do you find borcha i look all over for him, but i cant find him :sad: :sad: :sad: . oh and by the way i think this topic is pretty gay

Read the FAQs for christs sake. And you shouldn't come here talking about gay, your avatar is a halfnaked guy riding a horse.

Worbah, my Finnish friend, is that what you really think about that avatar? Seems to me a little bit familiar as one I used to use before I left Caladria tired of the endless killing. Sometimes we can't go home again.
  9. Your new mod (Closed)

okiN gets my vote because he's:

1) relatively sensible. (So, you won't see him going all "Borcha" on the forums)

2) is Finnish (So, he'd be easy to find as there are only about three dozen Finns in Finland and half of them are forum members.)

3) has a quirky sense of humor that no one can understand. (Thus, his jokes will offend no one as we won't realize they are jokes and our jokes will go right over his head. It's win win.)

--------------
    Ian
  10. YOU WILL BE BANNED.

Elias_Maluco said:
    You really look like a badass in that avatar, good thing for a forum moderator, I guess. You look like that on real life?

That photo is of Richard Ramirez, a serial killer, aka "The Night Stalker."
  11. View differs in different armets

Lhorkan said:
    There are more important features than this right now. :smile: How would want to get the blurred effect anyway. :neutral:

I get that whenever I've had a few too many.

One thing is you could achieve a similar effect by wearing...oh, I don't know: a cheese grater in front of your eyes (tied with strings around your head) or one could wear a cardboard mask with a rectangular vision slit when you're all geared up.

No, I don't do that myself. My M&B days have passed...
  12. Getting knocked out

graphia said:
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, I searched but couldn't find anything -

I've been playing as a crossbowman/axe wielder on foot, with a group of Vaegir marksmen and some sword sisters, on about level 9 I think. With a party like that I'm fairly slow so I get attacked by Dark Knights and Khergit Raiders quite often and sometimes battles don't exactly go my way...I get knocked out, the whole group's buggered off and I have to start training a new batch of peasants up which sucks. It says in the knock-out message that you set off to find the remains of your party...is this actually possible? If I wander around enough will I be able to get my marksmen and sword sisters back, or is this just some horrible joke? ;_;

Yes, you can rescue them. If you can find them.

One game, I was knocked out and when I awoke I was alone: no Sword Sisters, no Hired Blades. Gone, all gone.

20 days later, I came across a Dark Knight warparty with captured Sword Sisters and Hired Blades in tow. Naturally I rescued them and there was much feasting and celebrating in Halmar that night.
  13. Mount & Blade RPG

John Strange awoke with a start.

Someone in the tavern was yelling - and it wasn't John Strange. Oh, Richard DragonKurk going on again about destiny and adventure and defeating the Swadians once and for all. Well, thought John Strange, that's all very well and good for DragonKurk. He's gotten better equipped since the last time I saw him, now he has a good sword, a Khergit bow, and hardened leather armor. I wonder, though, what happened to the lads who joined him so eagerly last week? Strange lifted the mug of Calradian ale to his mouth and drank down the last of it. He rose to his feet, a bit unsteadily before straightening himself up and looking at Dragonkurk.

"Sure, sure. What's the pay? And who you got with you? I hear the Dark Knights are on the prowl again and I don't want to find myself with a bunch of peasants and refugee women at my side."

John Strange looked at DragonKurk who seemed taken aback at being questioned about money and troops. He wasn't used to answering questions and the strangely ill-tempered tavern dweller with the odd remarks and ideas wasn't his sort of soldier at all.

"Well," Strange asked, "Tell us what's innit for us."
  14. Dumb?

If you can't find a blog that you like, you're just not trying.

Forums dedicated to one game are sometimes good sources of gameplay tips and info. There are a lot of these forums that I'll occasionally visit to ask a question or ask for help.

Usually I don't post much at all. M&B forum is an exception; I was really interested in discussing and suggesting ideas once upon a time. However, how many times can I read posts on shield bashes, formations, and new weapons?zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

General Forumsdevoted to games of all types are what I like: forums like Octopus Overlords, Quarter to Three, etc. are more interesting to me: there's all sorts of people who post there and while their interests rarely coincide with mine, there's usually somebody talking about something interesting.

Message boards usually have the feel of having limited topics and of being a place where you just post a question without really wanting to read anybody else's discussion. Like a message board for Sony HDTV owners; you just ask your question, answer somebody else's (if you can), and leave with your info. Perhaps never to return.

Did this make any sense? Does anyone agree? No, well :sad:
  15. What you think about this??

Nairagorn said:
    I don't think anyone has suggested compainion animals yet. I'd like a pet dog with bees in its mouth. And when it barks it shoots bees at the enemy.
    I don't recall wagons being suggested recently, that's not a bad idea.

Heh. Simpson's references are my specialty; however since I'm currently in a prolonged posting pause - what's the point? I tell myself - I gladly turn them over to one still enthusiastic about M&B's progress. :smile:

P.S. Oh, and one more thing: you must find the Jade Monkey before the next full moon!
  16. What's your highest Damage?

That's remarkable! How can you remember all that stuff? It's all I can do to remember that my guys have the green writing over their heads - or is it the enemy that has the green writing?<runs to check for sure>

Combat for me is a confusing melee of arrows flying, men shouting, the cries of the wounded, the dust from the cavalry's charge, the bewildered yelling of Borcha as he rides off to yet another knockdown, and at the end if I'm still standing, that's all I can remember.
  17. Some of my own thoughts

A Lord of Men said:
    Yeah, #4 does seem a bit much in retrospect :grin: but I'm just tossing out ideas.

Oh, I don't know about that. That "pinching attack" while it may not be totally effective, it might leave a nasty bruise and make that Sea Raider think twice before trying anything.
  18. Odd Moments

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Sea raider ships on fire off the coast of Wercheg. I've watched golden denars glitter in the dark near the Forbidden Mountains. I've witnessed the fall of the Seven Against Zendar. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.
  19. Free-form Games: Your Recommendations

I'm in the mood for an open-ended game with some role-playing similar to our beloved Mount & Blade. Some games of this type that I already have are: Sid Meier's Pirates! Pirates of the Caribbean (fully modded with Build 12.1) GTA: San Andreas One other I might get is Space Rangers 2, but all...
  20. Computer games for scamp (and others)

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

Get the fastest GHz and the most RAM and the best Graphics Card you can: you won't regret it.
Back
Top Bottom