Search results for query: *

• Users: Adov
  • Order by date
  1. Adov

Child generator brainstorming

There was a mod called Heritage. It had a number of features like transferring clan leadership to any clan member for 100 influence and more efficient way of brokering marriage for family members. But more relevantly it had quite a simple and very efficient algorhythm of randomizing children's faces. In terms of apperance, it's results were just brilliant. The algorhythm was pretty much what you suggested - it took random values between those of respective dials of the parents' and gave the children that. Unfortunately, the last time this algorhythm was updated in the mod, the vanilla engine made children exact copies of parents rather than spawning identically mixed siblings from any given couple. So the conditions for this algorhythm to happen were just never met in the late versions. But the source code is available somewhere and it looks pretty simple. Would be great if someone just adapted that to the current version.
    In terms of trait inheritance, I noticed that generally sons inherit father's traits and daughters inherit mother's. I think this is a bit too rigid of system - would be cool if sometimes it could be the opposite way around or a somewhat of a mix of two. What adds a bit of flavor to this is sometimes they just inherit some traits rather than a full set. This is easier to spot with characters that have a lot of different traits (in my case I believe it was Zlatka and Siga or her trait-wise identical daughter Apolanea - Zlatka's daughter ended up profligate inheriting impulsive and generous only, can't remember what the Kuloving daughter inherited but something along those lines as well). It is also quite dissapointing that player's offspring of the same sex don't seem to inherit anything - if you play as a man, all your sons end up 'thoroughly conventional' while daughters inherit mother's traits. And it doesn't matter whether you had your traits from character creation or acquired them through gameplay. Must have something to do with the player's traits being dynamic.
    To sum it up, it would be cool if the childen's traits were less predictable and took both parents' traits into account rather than just the same-sex parent. And yea, please fix player's traits inheritance.
  2. Adov

Sturgia's unplayable

I know,dude.
    But I have a this feeling that these big issues shouldn't be ignored.
    At this point it isn't about my fun anymore,it's about TW not giving a damn about these issues,it wouldn't take more than 1 to 2 hours to solve them all in one go.
    It ain't 2 hours work, mate. I've given razors back to heavy spearmen - now they're the new (old) cancer - not only these are as good as glaives, they're braceable - the dudes wreck noble cavalry with minimum casualties. And line breakers just lost their purpose. I don't think I like it that way. When I only gave druzhinnik champions better swords they started eating banner knights for breakfast which is not supposed to happen. Upped banner knights' loadout - same weapons but longer and better - they're shining again but now I think the gap between them and druzhinnik champs is too much.
    I've been digging these spreadsheets and running tests a whole night - and I'm only doing 1-2 runs of uncontrolled 100v100 in Enhanced Battle Test, which is quite far from actual gameplay testing.
    So yea, it doesn't take one go to solve all the balance issues without turning every faction into terminators.
    I just find it weird that the Sturgians have bad archers. Aren't their descendants the archery-happy Vaegirs as well as the Nords?
    Well, historically, russians learned advanced archery shenanigans from mongols during their invasion. And Sturgia is kind of like pre-mongolian-invasion Rus' - heavily influenced by nordic culture but not the mongolian just yet. So we can easily picture how vaegirs possibly became renowned archers. Remember where Vagiroving clan resides?)
    Btw, nords don't really descend from sturgians - they're mentioned in Bannerlord lore, but it seems their actual presense in Calradia is not that prominent yet.
  3. Adov

Let's talk about the spears.

Okay, but if a stinky little 25 damage looter hammer can defeat a T6 armored units because of the speed boosted damage, in bannerlord world a swinging spear/pike staff would too.
    Yea, normally the hammer should just fly away from the impact possibly twisting wielder's wrist along the way - but oh well, no such mechanics and maybe for good. Those looters' hammers' lucky strikes are negligible - surely frustrating when you're soloing a horde of looters but make no difference in large battles.
  4. Adov

Let's talk about the spears.

The wat to fix spears in bannerlord is easy: Make them swing!

For short-tipped spear only some miniscule blunt damage would make sense - like in VC - but that would just mostly get in the way.

The only reason swingable polearms are this unrealistically good in Bannerlord is simple - there's no melee friendly fire. A weapon like that would wreck havoc IRL as well but the downside is - upon one's allies too and when formation is especially tight, it would just chamber block itself or lose too much momentum when the wielder is trying to pull it back. Also, there's no pole breaking or weapon loss mechanic.

The problem with thrusting polearms in the game is also quite simple - there's just not enough piercing damage and thrust speed. An adult man's weight giving velocity to a spear point makes a hell of a stab - piercing most early medieval armors or a horse's chest like butter. That is especially true when a spear is wielded with both hands - the difference between 1h and 2h mode should be way greater and the AI should be aware of it and make use of it. And a thrust is a lot harder to perceive for the opponent than a swing. So RL spears are very crit-heavy.

Spears at close quarters don't really work that great, the game gets it roughly right. There's the dagger grip technique of course - but would be clumsy to implement and, more importantly, that's a spearman's last resort - it takes precious split seconds to switch to it and the pole becomes a trouble - it makes it unbalanced and someone behind might get in its way. The only purpose of this technique is to hopefully get lucky enough to stab your opponent right in the face before they shank you down. So in close quaerters a secondary weapon (if there's any) is the way to go for a spearman - a dagger or a seax is even better than a sword in this case.

All of the above is spoken out of personal RL experience in the battlefields of historical reeanctment. In actual mortal warfare spears are even more lethal since one wouldn't restrain themself from stabbing their opponent in the face there.
  5. Adov

Sturgia's unplayable

Everything you said is true.

But you forgot to mention something.
    Unless you amass a type of unit,it's gonna suck for Sturgis.
    Varyag Vets and Spearmen can ignore they have 26~ body armour,they compensate for it with 51 and 46 head armour which is extremly good for shield wall fighting.
    If you do not have at around 50 infantry and always put them in shield wall and either wait for enemy infantry to barge in you or you manage to micromanage the infantry to be extremly close to their,these guys individually will suck ass.
    Their axes are too short and the A.I of axe troops is incredibly bad compared to those of mace troops,who tend to block more and attack accordingly.

I have seen my axemen preparing to swing to a Voulgier from 10 meters away.
    Actually, I compared sturgian t3 armors with battanian and vlandian - and they're, surprisingly, on par. Battanian Trained Warriors have about 5-6 more BA, but they still lost to sturgian soldiers in a 100v100 (Enhanced Battle Test mod). Which, I believe, wasn't the case about a year ago, when I was digging into this matter last time. So sturgian regular infantry is not in that bad of a place these days, but yea smth a bit better than a scarf wouldn't hurt. Heavy axemen are actually good enough to beat legionaries most of the time and even vet falxmen - mostly thanks to their initial jav volley in both cases (which apparently does not happen in the youtube video you mentioned, it seems the author tests melee only). Heavy spearmen are confirmed garbage tho - I had doubts about how they perform against cavalry - they don't brace their spears and just don't perform against anything at all.
    Varyag vets confirmed to lack skills in comparison to their rogue counterpart - chiefs are significantly better in 1-h, throwing and athletics and also occasionally have fur cloaks, when vets occasionally have scarves.
    I honestly don't see a problem with axes. Not with veteran warrior axe at least. It's shorter than a sword, yes, but has decent damage, good application and excellent swing speed. If anything, make this particular one more common among the sturgian troop tree, give it to vet archers for example, maybe also to 1/3 or a half of varyag/vet-varyag spawns.
    Druzhinnik Champions consistently lose to Banner Knights and Elite Cataphracts but are on par with Vanguard Farises (usually wining). Maybe a heavy lance wouldn't hurt tho, but in that case banner knights should get a longer one too. They also occasionally wield a vet warrior axe which is good for infantry, but not that good for noble cav. The rectangular bitted one should be their trademark once again.
    And yea, general cav AI is retarded, any cavalry performs better with RBM battle AI (didn't like the mod's weapon and troop overhaul, but thankfully these two come in separate modules). On the downside - this AI complicates things too much for shock infantry with throwables - like breakers and falxmen - these just keep throwing their ****ty axes till they run out of them instead of closing in asap in order to do what they're actually good at.

Now, about those Khan's Guards. Yep, they're way too good. Yep, all thanks to the glaives. Not only KGs actually, but starting from Torguuds and up. Even khuzait T4 noble units dominate anything. Only Elite Cataphracts got them routed for the enigmatic reasons of how morale works now - body count was still well in favor of KGs. So it's not about armor or skills or horses - only the glaives. RBM AI boosted Druzhinnik Champs win against KGs with minimum lead in bodycount right until the moment a massive brawl at point blank happens - then the glaives fix everything. I think a balanced way of setting this straight without giving glaives to every other noble troop would be removing it from torguuds and keshigs and maybe letting only half the spawns of KGs have it. Last part sounds a bit extreme to me though, but maybe better lances for all other t6 melee cav, and a proper AI that would couch them would work too.
  6. Adov

Sturgia's unplayable

OP surely does exaggerate a little and doesn't bother containing his emotions too much, but he's right in general. At current state Sturgia only has 2 top-tier units that are 2nd best in their class (Heavy Axeman and Heroic Line Breaker), a mediocre noble melee cav (used to be auite good when melee cav in general was good), a mediocre light cav (same here, jav-cav has issues allover Calradia), 2 units that are complete trash and no unit that really excells at anything. This seems mildly disappointing but not a disaster. What makes sturgian situation worse is their low- and mid-tier troops - way under-armored.
    I don't really like all those nord-viking-vaegir conversions modders do - they're all about huscarls instead of cav, valkiries, poorly picked slavic looking names, misspelled norse ones and the general idea of an attempt to make sturgians a northern Mary Sue. But I do usually edit the spnpccharasters.xml in SandBoxCore to make sturgian troops suck just slightly less without deriving from their vanilla doctrine too far. First thing I do is, of course, swap the retarded condom-plated helmet (please TW, remove this atrocity from the game completely, not only it makes reenactor's eyes bleed, it's been a laughing stock from day 1) of the heavy axeman for the goggled sea-raider one so they'd look like badasses they are. Then I'd probably give em their coat-of-plates back - these guys should Tank, maybe 10-20 points of one-handed wouldn't hurt as well, bacause 2nd best line infantry should actually be the best - with legionaries just half a step behind. Heavy spearman could probably be good if thrusting polearms were a viable thing in Bannerlord - they should deal way more damage and thrust faster. Until that's a thing I'd probably just give em the ol' war razors back - but that's kinda op, and we, sturgians, don't like to be happy, plus the shock troop niche gets kinda crowded, so this one's questionable. Veteran bowman gets 2 stacks of piercing arrows and either a simple bow (which is just a wee bit better than the norse one) or the simplest longbow possible - that still makes him worse than any other top-tier archer but the gap is a lot thinner. Warriors and soldiers get slightly better armor. Recruits too, just a tiny bit, and I make scythes about twice as common among them just so those battanain volunteers with 2-handed hammers wouldn't feel that great. Think I'd also give line-breakers (both versions) some pelts just so they'd excell instead of being closely behind menavs. A year ago (1.5.7 or so) varyag vets would also lose to sea raider chiefs which I found kinda frustrating since the former is basically a civilised version of the latter and that leadership perk kind of felt like a waste, so I balanced the vets slightly to be just on par with raiders. Think, I did that by tinkering with 1-h and throwing, maybe shoulder armor for the vets, but I'm not sure they are still worse than raiders these days.
    The above, I think, is just the right amount of buff sturgian troop tree needs. Other thing is their cultural trait. It's good to see TW finally got concerned and removed the infamous "20% less penalty from snow" but maybe they got it wrong, it was actually a good trait, just not good enough. Make it 50% instead - like the battanian one with forests. Or even 70% - snow is a seasonal thing afterall.
  7. Adov

The real fix for Sturgia

Honestly I don't feel those cultures have anything in common except prehaps having fought each other a time or two. Real Kievan Rus armies around the timeframe used by this game were very archer heavy and have a significant focus on horse archers, specifically heavy horse archers. They got their butts kicked by the Mongols and largely adopted Mongol tactics and unit compositions. If anything made them unique it was the lack of heavy melee cavalry since the the focus upon contact with the Mongol invasions converted that heavy melee cavalry into horse archers.

You're quite wrong my friend, in 10-11th century (that is actually before Kievan Rus', it was only forming back then) vikings were being hired by princes of Rus to fight in their armies against their neighbours. The most well-known example is Yaroslav the Wise of Novgorod, who hired a company of scandinavian mercs to help him in a war against his brother Svyatopolk. And that's the kind of interaction vikings likely preferred with the people of Gardarica (that's how they called Rus') - trade and mercenary work rather than raiding and fighting. The cultures of slavs and vikings are also very much intertwined for this period. There's a lot of archeological findings of viking origin in northern Russia, there's also quite a notable finding near Kiev - a fragment of face mask very similar to the one of the iconic GjermundBu goggled helmet.
    Bannerlord lore also hints mercenary relationships between Strugia and Nords - Raganvad's bio states him being related by blood to Skolderbrotva.
    I guess you kinda right about mongol tactics adoption - but that's gonna come a bit later, mongols started invading Rus' in 13th century and were only repelled in 15th.
    Bannerlord timeframe isn't really connected so tightly to the real world one - it is actually a mix of pretty much everything between the Migration Period (7th century) and late 12th century. So in those times Rus' still had more ties with norse culture rather than Mongolian. The Novgorod Principality of late 12th century, for example, was quite notorious for naval raiding rather than cavalry.
    What I'm trying to say, the so-called bastardization of slavic and norse culture is not that much of a bastardization really, but actually quite the depiction of a known historical mix of these cultures. The names of early princes of Rus' were also a very similar mix between slavic '-slav's and '-mir's and nordic 'Rurik', 'Askold' and so on. The tale of Oleg the Prophet also has quite some similaries to the Saga of Odd the Arrow.
  8. Adov

The real fix for Sturgia

The problem with sturgian troop tree does exist, but it's not in the noble line. Like comrades earlier said, noble troops are way too rare too give that much difference - they only shine when the player stockpiles them - and when they do, any noble troop becomes a doomstack, druzhinniks included. AI lords lose all of their petty 5-6 elite guards along with their recruit armies to autocalc and player's advantage in judgement and solo shenanigans.
    However. I compared the entire troop trees of Sturgia and Battania in a modded version of custom battle which allows precise troop selection. I compared recruits to volunteers, warriors to clan warriors - and so on. The sturgian troops failed miserably in all the disciplines but two. Heavy axemen performed slightly better than both oathsworn and wildmen, druzhinnik champions quite predictably rolled over fian champions, because cav > archers. Sturgian recruits lost not only to volunteers, they even lost to looters. And that's what I believe matters most - armies are mostly composed of t1-t2 troops, and for Sturgia those are just laughable. Even sturgian peasants beat sturgian recruits.
    So even if you play for Sturgia it becomes hard to compesate for other factors (autocalc and terrain disadvantage) with manual field battles - because your troops are just too bad.
  9. Adov

Resolved Unresponsive prisoners?

I think it happens to all the lords who have issues available. The connection between the blue exclamation mark and the absense of transfer arrow seems pretty consistent.

The most frustrating example of this bug happened to me recently - I was on a quest from Unqid to capture Chason. The guy just kept sitting in Saneopa never leaving the damn place. So I had to besiege the city with the force twice as small as the garrison and militia combined. They waited until a small war party came to reinforce them then sallied out. After several attempts I nailed it with 50-ish troops left to storm the walls with the remaining 13 defenders. And then my prey goes to prison and refuses to move bacause... ISSUES❕?
  10. Adov

Resolved v1.5.0 Role disapear after companion death

I can confirm this is a work around. However Even this seems very buggy. It will improperly report who is actually assigned a role and seems to think that 1 person has all the roles if you try to assign multiple roles to other people during the same session. this seems to just be a UI error however as going back to world map and hitting the clan tab shows the correctly assigned people.

But the long and short of it is that if a companion is assigned a certain role and then either dies, kicked out, or forms a party that role isn't there to reassign because the person is no longer available to "unassign"
    Yea, for some reason in the convo it says that the scout holds all the roles. It's been like that for quite a while
  11. Adov

Game mechanics

Unlikely, since you don't join the clan of your spouse. Contrarywise, they join your clan instead. As far as I know this is the case no matter the sex of the player character - so what would seem a viable opportunity for a medieval lady just works in a completely emancipated manner in Bannerlord.
    So the rulership would most likely be passed to the heir of the previous ruler - his son, brother or probably just the oldest man in the ruler clan - I'm not sure how exactly it works really, but I've seen Caladog being constistently suceeded by Muinser, who's not directly related.
  12. Adov

Resolved 1.4.3 When offering family members hand to lord there is no progress afterwards.

I've tried offering my siblings' hands to Olek of Kuloving expecting he'd offer Urik or Idrun as candidates for my sister and brother respectively. Seems he only considers himself in both cases (no I don't have any same sex marriage mods installed). Luckily the whole issue ends in a stallmate the same way as described in the original post, so noone married the old fart that day.
    The situation was slightly different with Godun of Vagiroving. When I offered him the hand of my little sister he said he'd been looking for a suitable party for his son Lek. When I agreed to that, he suggested to introduce myself. The situation is pretty much the same afterwards - there's no specific dialogue options with Lek, and from this point trying to speak to Godun of the matter results in stallmate - you only able to pick "Never mind" when he asks who's hand you'd want to offer.
  13. Adov

Resolved Can't assign roles for new companions

This issue has been mentioned before and can be solved via conversation. Check these threads
  14. Adov

Resolved Cannot assign clan role after companion death

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this but it's hard to get into conversation with companions in my party. They do not show up in keep or tavern. I guess for this I need another workaround, either dismiss them from party (they will appear in tavern) or take a walk in town.
    It would be really useful to be able to initiate conversation either from clan management or party management view...

Edit: yeah now it is visible the data is messed up (Penek is dead long time)

She appears in all roles even is the assignment is different:

How come you don't have "talk" button in Party Management? Every hero in the party has that. I believe you have to be outside of a settlement though
  15. Adov

Resolved Cannot assign clan role after companion death

Already mentioned here. Also, there's a workaround - convo another companion and assign him the missing role. Then you can manage the roles normally
  16. Adov

Resolved v1.5.0 Role disapear after companion death

I managed to solve this by assigning the missing role to another companion via conversation. The role management tool in the party screen has been working as usual ever since
  17. Adov

Resolved Game unplayable: health continuously decreases

I've had this problem as well. It's like the initial starvation didn't stop when I bought supplies - even though all the meters said we're good. Resting in a town for just enough time to regenerate 1% health seemed to have solved this. Gotta check if it comes back if the praty starts starving again
    I know it's impossible to rest in a town until the tutorial is completed, but in the tutorial your health magically recovers to 100% after every battle where you fall
  18. Adov

Resolved [1.4] Company of Trouble... "not interested..."

Yes, they where all hanging around at the citys keep. But was it allways like that?
    No, it was super-easy to complete with an army resting in town. You'd usually pick up the quest and have a dozen of nobles around to persuade without risking your inventory items by travelling.
    So they changed it in one of the latest patches. Now you cannot sell mercs to the same clan and to any nobles in the same settlement
  19. Adov

Resolved Northern Visored Cap male mesh looks buggy on men

I got some help and found it under artisans in SandBox/spworkshops.

I have no idea what the original value was anymore but I increased the conversion_speed to 1 for heavy and ultra armor. That along with reducing armor prices in spitems seemed to help.
    I meant, nowhere to be found ingame
  20. Adov

Resolved Northern Visored Cap male mesh looks buggy on men

I just gave it the sturgia_helmet_e mesh and made the stats in line with goggled_helmet_over_full_mail. As you say, it still looks like a stretched poop. I still find lendman_helmet_over_full_mail the best looking Sturgian full helm.
    Oh yea, those 3 are definetely the coolest. A shame they're nowhere to be found in vanilla. But there's a mod that adds top tier armor shops to town keeps including these helmets for a reasonably high price.
Back
Top Bottom