Search results for query: *

1. TarnishedArmour

The Original Sands of Faith Thread

ethemp said:
    Also what is the importance of Honour? What modifiers does it give?

It should at least effect the starting perception of you by other lords unless the code has changed from native.
  2. TarnishedArmour

Dang it, haven't even found time to try v0.6.  I kid, of course.

With the rate and quality of your updates you truly impress me sir. Looking forward to seeing it.
  3. TarnishedArmour

Free Napoleonic-era College Course.

And it really depends on what part of the era truly interest you.  Even then, despite whatever your initial interest is, it's likely to cross-over into one of the many other fields.  Political considerations, social-economic causes and consequences, even flat military interest, it was one of the most complicated periods in Europe (not that Europe has ever been simple, or anywhere else for that matter) and every single aspect of the period is tangled with every other.

While I am still an advocate of the guided research of a classroom setting, especially for an initial look into the era, I understand the hesitation.  However, I would be careful when going just the book route because the era has attracted quite a bit of Francophiles, and you're not exactly going to get an even or fair interpretation of anything with anyone so unhesitatingly biased in any direction, much less that one.

So, in short, I would say, if you can define your initial interest in the period more you may get better suggestions.

That, and several links posted by others in support of my own pursuit may be valuable to you.
  4. TarnishedArmour

Suggestion Thread. Your ideas here.

Maybe stealing, pardon me, borrowing; some of the code from the enhanced tourney mod to apply performance based "awards" to battles at large.  Call it medals maybe?  A little extra renown for excellent personal performance, especially since your promotions are based on renown gain?  Just a thought.
  5. TarnishedArmour

thewanderingknight said:
    It seems normal to me, I didn't changed anything about it, I don't know why you think that's a problem lol

Well in real life if people give you anything it tends to be because they want something from you, if they give you MORE, they tend to want MORE.  I guess I just allowed that thought process flow over into M&B gameplay...  So while a reward for performance in battle seemed nice, getting two rewards for the same battle made me question the validity of the system... metaphorically speaking of course.  :wink:
  6. TarnishedArmour

Yes, deserters are attacked and defended against as normal.
  7. TarnishedArmour

On the duplicate reward issue, apparently I was wrong.  I created a Crusader character and experienced the same thing, two rewards for one battle, this time a helmet and a horse, and in another battle received only a single reward.  Is it set up that if you do well enough you'll receive additional rewards?  Could also have been a bad download or any number of other things if no one else is able to duplicate.
  8. TarnishedArmour

thewanderingknight said:
    The duplicate thing I'll need more feedback on it, but are you sure that's new?

Yes, in so much as I've never gotten two lordly items as a reward for the same battle before, but am now getting them consistently (those 3 battles anyhow, haven't been awarded any since).

thewanderingknight said:
    Those "outlaws" weren't deserters? I was going to take a look on them since I realized that no one was attacking them, is just since I don't play this game for a long time, either than the necessary for modding of course, I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be attacked only by their old faction or all factions. It's because I removed the default relations flag from factions and need to set relations myself, I only didn't that for deserters because wasn't sure how they should work. But again were they "deserters"?

Was able to duplicate, and they are indeed deserters.  Playing as Ayyubid Sultanate mercenary and the deserters were definitely from one of the "western" factions (company was composed of Knights, Armed Pilgrims, and Crossbowmen).  So sorry for using the term outlaws and causing confusion on that.  Thinking back the first attack awaiting the siege was the same sort of troops.

thewanderingknight said:
    But are deserters supposed to be attacked by all factions? Is just I'm not sure, if yes I can release a patch fast. To clarify "deserters" are not part of the "outlaws" faction.

I believe so, but even if you were to try and make it so only the faction the deserters were from they would still attack the player unless all those flags were set differently too.  I think that might be a mess to try and sort out (but might be fun for someone into that sort of thing to make it work "right").

To confirm, it is in fact deserters attacking while awaiting sieges or in close proximity to the marshal with no support from my supposed comrades.
  9. TarnishedArmour

Ah, gotcha.  Will look more into that for you.

Funny, I never noticed the clock thing before, thanks for correcting me on that.
  10. TarnishedArmour

A couple interesting bugs I'm getting with the new 0.5 build.

First, I'm getting time date stamps in place of lords names for some battle result reports.  Not the battles I'm involved in, but the ones that report as happening around the map.  And this is only happening intermittently so I have no idea what the cause could be.  It's in the minority too.  I'll get 3 or 4 lords have lost a battle (and either were captured or escaped) and then I'll get a "February 11th at 8 o'clock was defeated in battle but managed to escape".

Second, the random lordly item rewards seem to be duplicating.  In the 3 instances since my restart for the new update that I've been awarded I've gotten two items each time.  Not always duplicate models either, as the one time I was awarded western-style lordly helmets they were 2 different models.

And lastly, when serving as a mercenary (presumably since I have no positive standing with the faction I'm serving) outlaws will come up and attack me while I'm awaiting a siege following a marshal and none of the other lords or their forces will take part in the battle.  This one might be as intended, but is pretty annoying.
  11. TarnishedArmour

Fair enough.  Thanks for the reply and explanation.

About the Freelancer: Captured issue, yeah the work around works, but it resets your time in service which the relation rewards are based on.  While you still get the rewards you would be owed for that amount of service it seems that the math behind that reward is exponential and so restarting service negatively affects the end result.  Not game breaking, just something "not working as intended" figured I'd share since it's not something that happens reliably.
  12. TarnishedArmour

Will we get an optional patch with mounted Sergeants and the like as well?
  13. TarnishedArmour

Fun so far.  Definitely worth at least one play-through for anyone stopping by and reading the thread who hasn't yet.

Running with the optional Rebalance Test Patch.  Freelancer: Captured mission activates when served lord is defeated in battle as intended, however no conversation option to rejoin was offered in castle or field.  Faction was Ayyubid Sultanate, lord was Salah al-Din.
  14. TarnishedArmour

OSP Code Combat Perfectly Smooth, Mouse-Enabled Deathcam V1.4

Double checked the placement of the four lines initializing the various deathcam scripts and in every place one is present, all four are.  So unless there's some sort of "bleed over' effect from one mission template to another and it's translating only partially I can't believe it would be that.  I think that's the every where it needs to be you mentioned.  As for the first part, it was a direct copy and paste of the 1.4 move section, the 1.3 move section, and then back again when I was first trouble shooting, but that doesn't mean I didn't mess anything up there.

That's where I guess I'll focus my attention before I try different battle scenes to see if it's just the open field battle that's not working.  I'll double check the code itself to make sure it matches what Zephilinox has.  Maybe it's as simple as some tab placements...? I don't know, running Lav's compiler hasn't shown me any formatting errors though, though that might just mean my formatting errors match on both sides of the code.

Regardless, thank you for the pointing in a direction, I'll dig and figure a bit before I complain again.
  15. TarnishedArmour

OSP Code Combat Perfectly Smooth, Mouse-Enabled Deathcam V1.4

Trying to learn python (my forte has been php upto now) so I understand coding but for the life of me I can't not find the problem in the code I'm experiencing.

Using 1.4 (and I've tried the 1.3 section) I can not seem to get camera movement to work, and I incur a error trying to retreat due to enemy troops.  Since the deathcam itself, as well as the rotation functions, work I have no idea.  At first I thought it was a placement issue, then tried the 1.3 section on movement, even tried creating a normal character instead of the quick character wondering if there was some initialization error caused by that.  No avail so far.

Any hints where to even look?
  16. TarnishedArmour

How coincidental, just yesterday I was doing some research and ended up focused on the King's German Legion.  I'll have to add that one to my read list, even if it's for purely personal interest. Thank you.
  17. TarnishedArmour

Well that seems like a good source to try to counter any pro-British sentiments that may exist in the class once it starts.  Thank you Sifis.
  18. TarnishedArmour

Fair enough, I suppose I'll try to dig through some of the posts and find some.

I mostly interested in the individual soldier's accounts, of which i hope they include some from both sides, not just the British.  Leaders tend to have no idea what fighting a war is really like.
  19. TarnishedArmour

I'd rather undertake a class than simply read a book since simply reading a book never forces you to defend your opinion.  Not to mention people tend only to read books that they already agree with (by reading the back cover or synopsis or whatnot).  So the "just read books" philosophy is flawed in at least those two regards, which does not make your opinion on the subject matter or the class itself wrong.

Do you have any suggestions for accompanying material?
Back
Top Bottom