Search results for query: *

1. Das Longbowman

Random Media v.3 (Comedy Optional, Interesting Optional)

I don't think that's what imut's supposed to imply.
  2. Das Longbowman

The Great War Documentary Series (Week by Week)

Still can't believe that Russia still used the Julian calendar up to that point.
  3. Das Longbowman

Screenshot Mega Thread

Captured Joe said:
    Yeah, apparently taking territory with French and British troops still counts as Belgium taking it if the offensive starts in Belgian territory (even though Belgium had already surrendered and been liberated by ME, while not having any troops for the rest of the game).
    Ikr seriously this is pretty retarded Paradox needs to fix it in the next patch.
  4. Das Longbowman

What be on yer noggin?

jacobhinds said:
    Barbers here have next to no specific regulations and I think the guy must've forgotten to disinfect the blade. Could've been worse, at least it wasn't AIDS. It also tends to happen mostly to men with thick hair who shave a lot, so I see it more on black/mixed race or south asian men.
    I feel you man, I reckon half of the men here in my place has hepatitis B because barbers here don't even bother to disinfect their blades.
  5. Das Longbowman

Screenshot Mega Thread

Captured Joe said:
    v5azS.jpg
    dat belgium tho
  6. Das Longbowman

Imperialism and Colonialism

kurczak said:
    Longbowman' said:
    I don't blame you for that, a lot of things that the Rashidun Caliphate did seemed unbelievable or impossible (i.e expanding from a small Arabic city-state to a massive empire that stretches 6.400.000 km2 wide at it's peak, managing to overpower two of the greatest empires of that time (Byzantine and Sassanid/Persian Empire), and all that in just under 30 years).
    They basically conquered the people to make their lives better, right? The Arab man's burden, sending forth the best they breed to serve their captives' need :smile:
    Tbh with you even from a Muslim man's perspective it was more like "MUAHAHAHA CONQUER THE WORLD FOR ISLAM AND GLORYY HURR DURR".
  7. Das Longbowman

Screenshot Mega Thread

GLORIOUS MORROWIND IS GLOHRIUOS!!!
  8. Das Longbowman

What hurt you today?

Why in the world would you try your brother's deodorant anyway?
  9. Das Longbowman

kurczak said:
    Longbowman' said:
    Adding towards jacob's post, the Muslims that conquered the remains of the Byzantine Empire and other areas (The Rashidun Caliphate) had a very interesting policy towards their conquered subjects (which would be relevant to Imperialism on this topic). The non-Muslim monotheist inhabitants - Jews, Zoroastrians, and Christians of the conquered lands were called dhimmis (the protected people). Those who accepted Islam were treated in a similar manner as other Muslims, and were given equivalent rights in legal matters. Non-Muslims were given legal rights according to their faiths' law except where it conflicted with Islamic law. In some senses, Islamic law made dhimmis second-class citizens. For instance, a Muslim woman could not marry a Non-Muslim man, and the son of a Muslim man and a dhimmi woman was always considered a Muslim, with no choice left to the individual. Dhimmis were allowed to "practice their religion, and to enjoy a measure of communal autonomy" and were guaranteed their personal safety and security of property, but only in return for paying tax and acknowledging Muslim rule. Dhimmis were also subject to pay jizya (Tax levied on dhimmis permanently residing in Muslim lands, Muslims were expected to pay zakat and kharaj, which we can talk through at a later date). Disabled dhimmis did not have to pay jizya and, were even given a stipend by the state.
    That gets mentioned a lot and call me cyncial, but I'm skeptical as to how much that was true in everyday practice. I'm sure that's what the Koran or hadiths or whatever say, but the feudal "contract" also sounds okay-ish in theory, but reality was almost always different.
    I don't blame you for that, a lot of things that the Rashidun Caliphate did seemed unbelievable or impossible (i.e expanding from a small Arabic city-state to a massive empire that stretches 6.400.000 km2 wide at it's peak, managing to overpower two of the greatest empires of that time (Byzantine and Sassanid/Persian Empire), and all that in just under 30 years).
  10. Das Longbowman

Adding towards jacob's post, the Muslims that conquered the remains of the Byzantine Empire and other areas (The Rashidun Caliphate) had a very interesting policy towards their conquered subjects (which would be relevant to Imperialism on this topic). The non-Muslim monotheist inhabitants - Jews, Zoroastrians, and Christians of the conquered lands were called dhimmis (the protected people). Those who accepted Islam were treated in a similar manner as other Muslims, and were given equivalent rights in legal matters. Non-Muslims were given legal rights according to their faiths' law except where it conflicted with Islamic law. In some senses, Islamic law made dhimmis second-class citizens. For instance, a Muslim woman could not marry a Non-Muslim man, and the son of a Muslim man and a dhimmi woman was always considered a Muslim, with no choice left to the individual. Dhimmis were allowed to "practice their religion, and to enjoy a measure of communal autonomy" and were guaranteed their personal safety and security of property, but only in return for paying tax and acknowledging Muslim rule. Dhimmis were also subject to pay jizya (Tax levied on dhimmis permanently residing in Muslim lands, Muslims were expected to pay zakat and kharaj, which we can talk through at a later date). Disabled dhimmis did not have to pay jizya and, were even given a stipend by the state.
  11. Das Longbowman

Comrade Temuzu said:
    I don't think that's what second world really means m8.
    Wrong word, big deal. :roll:
  12. Das Longbowman

Dystopian said:
    I laughed when I saw Great Britain France and Spain started Imperialism and Colonialism.
    In the modern age? :?:
  13. Das Longbowman

Gestricius said:
    Longbowman said:
    I feel a bit lost as where to start. Colonialism and infrastructure is pretty interesting, one wonders if modern post-colonial cities were drawn after the roads that lead to the most valuable sources of raw material. I've yet to witness colonialism that highly rewarded both parties in some sort of utilitariastic manner
    Well I know that the neighbours on the other side (read: Malaysia) has the best welfare in the region, and their GDP per capita is >$10.000, well ahead of ours and pretty much everybody in SE Asia, which basically means that they're a second world country rn. Now I don't know if that qualifies as this:
    colonialism that highly rewarded both parties in some sort of utilitariastic manner
    , but during the colonial era Malaysia (and Singapore) wasn't a colony that was used as a commodity exporter (like Indonesia or Brazil, etc.), it was more like an administrative region the Brits used to strengthen their monopoly on the Singapore trade region, or atleast that's what I learnt from history books.
    Gestricius said:
    those who know about Belgian Congo knows that it was King Leopold's personal land. That would most likely be the worst type of colonialism,  where the general populus of both sides gain nothing,  directly or indirectly.
    Definitely, Belgian Congo was basically Leopold's playground to test human experiments and ****, here's some more pics if you're interested:
    27Emq.jpg
    -2PNO.jpg
    You can relate these ones below to the one in the OP:
    O8x6d.jpg
    ricH8.jpg
    ****ed up ****.

Vieira said:
    Well, I'm half Scottish and half Portuguese. I guess you could say I have an ancestry with mixed experiences of Imperialism.
    :lol: Now that's an interesting combo.

Hey jacob replied.

14. Das Longbowman

Dreams

Kinda sounds like 9GAG.
  15. Das Longbowman

What pissed you off today v. V

I don't know why would you expect much from the YouTube comment section.
  16. Das Longbowman

Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you. :smile:
    why do i always make myself look like an idiot
  17. Das Longbowman

Yeah I guess. Let's just carry on.
    You're Finnish right? Can you explain to me the relation between the Finnish people and the Suomi, are they related in any way?
Back
Top Bottom