Search results for query: *

1. Frisicus

Newly added banners in game appear white? [Solved]

Kept myself to various tutorials (see spoiler) and managed to take care for it that all lords are assigned a new banner. Problem, however, is that all new banners appear white and also the flags above castles and towns are white (see spoiler below). I have no reports of missing textures or...
  2. Frisicus

Best medieval castles & fortifications

Some 13th century castles of two important vassals of the Count of Holland:

2wlwtb9.jpg

mtkp6p.jpg
    Castle Teylingen of the Lords of 'Van Teylingen' (early 13th century, looking at the sketch it later got contaminated with some late medieval additions)

2wemiyv.jpg

jibzf6.jpg
    Castle Brederode of the Lords of 'Van Brederode' (started building in the middle of the second half of the 13th century, finished 10 years later)

3. Frisicus

Suggestions and Critique

Kmovies said:
    suggestion. the "marks of chivalry",  a  european world-wide tournament where a team that represents the faction fights for the honour of his king. and for the ladies...

it would be made on paris, france, as , afaik, it's the bornplace of mounted chivalry.
    Ah yes, Paris.. before there was only unmounted chivalry... :mrgreen:

Sorry dude, but I just had to say that.:wink: The English term 'chivalry' already implies that it deals about a set of rules surrounding horsemanship. Cheval is French for horse and the Dutch/German term: Ridderlijk/Ritterlich (Knightly) stems from the same root as the English word 'rider'.

Also in medieval Europe there was no idea of 'Europe'. There was a basal idea of nations were the the true and only faith (in that period: Catholic Christianity) ruled and that outside there were heretic and heathen people living. But there was no common notion of a cultural continent called Europe.
  4. Frisicus

0.14 Testing Thread

And who did it this time?

I was just noticing that everything was back were it belonged and wanted to make a  copy of everything, when suddenly the map was empty.. :evil:
  5. Frisicus

Info Thread

Cèsar de Quart said:
    Just a correction: if we were to put the actual names of every country, then it would be Rengum Anglie, Regnum Sicilie, Regnum Aragonum, Regnum Francie, Sacrum Romanorum Imperium...

So we're using the most correct names in English. For example, we put Kingdom of France, and not Kingdom of the Franks, because Philippe II was the first one to claim to be Rex Francie (King of France) and not Rex Francorum (King of the Franks). The same with many other names.

That's why I prefer "Empire of the Romans" instead of "Roman Empire" when talking about the Byzantines.
    At the time (1200 AD) wasn't the germanic 'k' in Franks already written with a latin 'c' for at least more as 900 years (not meaning the Greek language)? About the pronounciation of the 'c' in Old- to Middle-French dialect I'm not sure. Perhaps it was already a 's', but most likely a 'ch'. In that case it would be indeed written as Regnum  Francie or Kingdoms of Francs but pronounced as Kingdom of Franch or Regnum Franchie.
  6. Frisicus

Bug Reports - E1200 Warband (solution to crashes in first post)

Korinov said:
    Well, anyway I'll tell you that most peasants didn't "pay" for a stone house, they just built it. Thousands of stones could be found (free) at any field. Of course, those stone houses weren't as 'nice' as the ones depicted in Native scenes, and probably looked a lot more 'amateurish', but still...
    Yup, depends also on the region. If a region had an easy to obtain stone resource of relative easy to work with quality, a lot of dwellings obviously made use of it. Certain areas are known for the frequent occurrence of limestone or large pebbles, another source were the old Roman town ruins. I've seen many medieval buildings (especially in Italy) were the foundations or even entire walls were made of of a chaotic mix of pieces Roman republican brick, Roman imperial brick, marble pieces and other kinds of stones from Roman ruins.

If a region was densely wooded (f.i. Central Europe and the Scandinavian peninsula), dwellings would be made of timber. Other regions had large local loam deposits. With some use of timber and tree branches a wooden skeleton would be made of a house while a mixture of loam with f.i. straw would be used to construct the walls.

In regions were there were neither stone resources nor abundant resources for good timber and loam (wetland and tundra areas), dwellings and early fortifications were made of earthwork constructions (sun dried bricks made of mud, dirt and peat). This construction technique is especially known for medieval Iceland, but was in common use around the wetter areas in Europe like the lowlands of Scotland, the areas along the Northsea (coastal parts of the Netherlands and Denmark) and other more inland marshy/peaty areas. It also appears as these were one of the areas were in the high medieval clay bricks quickly became popular, first the monasteries and then the churches, castles, wealthy farmsteads, urban patrician housing, modal farmsteads and finally the urban and rural housing of the lower classes. For the Netherlands I know that some of the poorest people even in the early 20th century still lived in houses made of peat bricks (example of house made of peat bricks, a kot or keet). 
  7. Frisicus

NikeBG said:
    That's why one should be called f.e. "Lombard levy footman" or something like that (the rural tree f.e.) and the other simply "Lombard footman" (professional). Otherwise, it gets confusing, especially if you're doing one of those quests like "Train me x number of y troops" or "Bring me x number of y prisoners".
    Yup, thats a nasty thing if they ask you such.

Nevertheless, the term 'levy' is also not correct I think, because the men you enlist from villages are from then on paid troops that stay in your company and upgrade (or die). While 'levy footman' would mean some sort of conscripted footman who will leave your company after the battle or after a set period.
  8. Frisicus

GodHandApostole said:
    I've noticed, 100+ days in game, that no tournament has ever started. Joined a team as soon as I could and tried to lower the days needed to begin a new tournament but nothing happens. I also tried to change team but still I never recieved a single message.
    If you lowered the days to the lowest amount I think I know what has happened. The option that is shown on the Mod menu is not the active option. The one active is the one that is pressed.

For instance, if there's an option like "Blood: No" it means that blood is on! if you press on the "No" it turns blood off and the menu no reads: "Blood: Yes". (i'm using an example of another mod because I don't use the Mod menu of 1200 often)

You probably have something like this "the amount of days before a tournament can begin: 5", (don't know the actual minimum in 1200) this means that the number of days currently active is actually the highest amount! that number is right before the lowest number.

9. Frisicus

Screenshot Thread: Post all your Screenies Here!

The lord of St. Omer with his squires (Heraldic colours is so cool!):
    nxrmew.jpg

10. Frisicus

Suggestions and Critique

Korinov said:
    As of deserters, are they really in? I though they had been desactivated too (again, performance optimization). I mean, it's been ages since I saw them on the map.
    Ah, that could be the reason I didn't saw these deserters as much lately. Last time might have been an earlier version. :grin:

Of course the bandits don't have to be local. The rogue mercenary bands that pillaged western and central continental Europe during the late 12th and early 13th century often came from regions far away. Saying that I know that f.i. the Brabantiones, although perhaps the earliest mercenary bands did came from Brabant, the term Brabancon might later very well be used for mercenaries in general from the Low Countries.

The same undoubtly is true for Aragonese mercenary units. People from an Italian or North-German region would not be able to know the difference between a Aragonese or another Iberian mercenary group and hence be using the name for the earlier original mercenary troops they knew from that southwest-European region.

Cèsar de Quart said:
    Native outfits still existed.
    I know, I mean that the forest bandits f.i. carry a kind of axes and wear boots that none of the villager troop trees uses anymore.
    And whenever I encounter peasants they wear a simple tunic or coat but are not often bare chested wearing simple hats.

Cèsar de Quart said:
    Also, Cruger took Manhunters out and I asked him to just change their name into "Peacekeepers", wich did exist in 1200.
    Yes that was a great idea, the adding of the Brotherhood chasing mercenary bands.:smile:
  11. Frisicus

Suggestions and Critique

Currently there are still outlaw gangs like sea raiders, forest bandits, looters and mountain bandits.

Though in some form they existed around 1200, they might be given another name and another outfit (they still have native outfit).
    for example:
    • Looters might be given peasant or low-tier villager outfits; like as if they are runaway serfs who became bandits.
    • Forest bandits did exist around 1200, but their outfit is still native; perhaps they can look more like villager archer units, including the same stats.
    • Mountain bandits did also undoubtly exist around 1200; same like the forest bandits, but the mountaineers might be given outfits and stats like the raiders and spearmen in the villager troop tier
    • The sea raiders, though they are my favourite, they wear outfits coming from the Dark Ages; Perhaps and only a suggestion they could become the rogue mercenary bands that wandered and looted Europe in the late 12th century and early 13th century, like the Brabantion, Aragonese and Genuese hirelings (see lines below)
    • Deserters, these are allright, but I don't see them enough (lack in spawn points?)
    Concerning the rogue mercenary bands I have some ideas: perhaps it would be nice to have different troops like these walking around and that you would be able to hire them if you are stronger as them in number, though versus a small loss in honour. If you are weaker in number you become their prey of course. :twisted:

12. Frisicus

Analyze the Historical person above you.

Bertrand du Guesclin:

Breton commander of French troops during the first half of the 100yrs war. Born as a bastard of Breton gentry he initially was a farmer but when confronted with English brutality he started a guerrilla war against them. Though he was knighted in 1354 and was one of the most (or one of the few) succesfull commanders of French troops, the French aristocrats never got fond of him because of his inferior background.

Personally I like him very much. The Dutch writer Thea Beckman wrote a popular Dutch trilogy over the 100yrs war featuring a group of minstrels amidst the fighting. Bertrand is often portrayed in it as a man who values people because of their skills and effort instead of their bloodline and wealth.

Floris V, Count of Holland
  13. Frisicus

Korinov said:
    These copies are there for you not to feel too lonely or 'outstanding' when walking through a town.

Nah, talking seriously, it's not really a big issue, isn't it? I mean, they don't disturb or attack or prevent you from accessing anything, do they? (at least not more than the usual bugged doors) But there's definetly something a little odd about those copies, specially considering they somehow have fragments of dialogue from the companions in Native (or so it seems if my memory is correct).
    The one in the castle and the one out of town (usually on horseback) start on the old (native) starting positions. The player now starts at a new position in town and the castle. The castle clone was already there in one of the first public versions, but the town clone is new.

Has there been some recent changes to the town's starting position of the player? Perhaps there is some hard coded part in M&B Warband what causes clones to be created at in that somewhere hardcoded starting positions when entering a town or castle..

Can't say it is bugging me though, I use it to make screenshots of myself wearing new (selfmade) outfits. This way I don't have to go through the trouble of hardly being able to zoom out on the player's character. I simply move around the clone.:grin:

14. Frisicus

Cruger says Goodbye

Cruger said:
    The reason why I have chosen to pass the mod on is because that I found myself using more and more time on it, and it has come to a point where the mod has become a direct bad influence on my life. Especially in terms of my uni grades. Long story short I have decided to cut out the problems at the source.
    I sometimes wondered were you found the time to work on the mod, I'm still under the impression that you managed to work 24 hours a day. A thorough job you did and I wish you good luck with your study!... :wink:

Cruger said:
    I'd like to thank all who has contributed to the mod, and everybody who has followed the mod. It has been a real pleasure.
    It has also been a real pleasure to see you working with so much dedication, creativity (implements like manpower, a variety of quests and the noble tournaments to mention some) and persistence.:smile:

Cruger said:
    Oh, btw, don't spam Korinov with PMs in hope that your suggestions that was shot down by me will be made by him right away. Give him some time :razz:
    LOL.. speaking for myself, with Eastern-Europe next on the list I fear I have not so much to contribute.. :mrgreen:
    Anyway I think Korinov will do a fine job.:wink:
  15. Frisicus

Jack Churchill: "Mad Jack", was an English soldier who fought throughout World War II armed with a longbow, arrows and a claymore. He once said "any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed."

Never heard of him before but it seems to have been an exceptionally brave man. they should make a movie over his WW-II career!

Analyze William of Normandy (The Conqueror, the Bastard, etc..)

Slightly off-topic but I've never heard of this man and I've also never heard of those old Frisians sacrificing children. Did they or was that invented to spice up the story of this fellows' life?
    There is no (at least not certain) archaeological evidence of human sacrifice in Early Medieval Frisia, only this textual source. Wulfram is interesting because there are more versions of the story over his lifetime. In some versions, parts seem missing while these are also used to spice up the life story of Willibrord.

16. Frisicus

Wolfram de Sens, or Wulfram de Fontenelle or indeed Saint Wulfram.

I used the Latin name so there be no confusion.. apparently that didn't work. :mrgreen:
  17. Frisicus

Henry Percy: English Lt.-General who received the Victorian Cross for his bravery as colonel during the battle of Inkerman (1854).

(There are so many Henry Percy's in English History, I just picked one).

Wulframnus

18. Frisicus

The Dictionary - what do the words mean?

Adorno said:
    I'm no big etymologist, but maybe people can chip in - ask questions - and we'll have a nice big list of explanations for the words in the mod.

B

Beadu rinc = battle man (if rinc means man?)

E

Ealdorman = elder man = senator, member of the royal council

G

Gebur = Farmer
    Genaet = Companion, high ranking Ceorl
    Geoguth = Young/untested warrior
    Gesith = Companion, Follower

K

Kotsetla = cot-setla = cottage settler, a free man who owns his own house

T

Theow = Slave, unfree man

These descriptions above provided are not always entirely right. I will try to explain them better below:

Rinc or Rinces = man, though more in a demonstrative poetic sense (the word is used in the Old-English bible translations to demonstrative mean certain male persons).

Ealdorman = man of old/high noble lineage, born to govern over the commoners like an elder governs over his children. In modern Frisian ealman still means nobleman and ealju are nobles.

Gebur = dweller, one who dwells, the word consists of ge-bur, bur/būr means bower (dwelling). Old-German is būan. In Norman England the gebur became the bordar.

It should not to be mistaken with Middle-Dutch term geburen, this term was derived from nēahgebūr (neighbour) who was one of the leading member of the communitas (buurschap: neighbourhood). In Frisian such a person was named a buor (still meaning neighbour in Frisian), the community a buorskip and his homestead a buorkery. It neither is direct related to burgher, burger, a burgher was in the Early Middle Ages a merchantman that participated in the community of a fortified town (Burgh, Burh), later on in the High-Medieval the burghers became the town patricians.

Genaet = Should be written as geneat and means 'one who enjoys' (not meaning fun, but has certain rights being an associate/companion warrior of a household).

Geoguth = (geoguþ) meaning youth (young man, not persé a warrior).

Gesith = companion is right. It means he who sits in/participates in the comitatus/company of the comes (warbandleader, later meaning count/comte)

Kotsetla = kot-setla, a kot is a small farm/cottage. Comparable with Old-Frisian/Saxon Kot-zate meaning small house/shed (barchekot = pigshed, Fiskkot = fisherman shed, koter = cotter); also comparable with Latin casa, a house/shed. In Norman England the kotsetla became the cottar.

Theow = unfree (the word slave would be introduced in the later periods of the Early Middle Ages when Slavic people where often enslaved and sold on West-European markets).

19. Frisicus

Alternate recruitment - disussion

Comrade Me said:
    Not to mention the historical inaccuracy of going to another lords fief and simply taking his peasants.
    It depends if you take peasants from the village or 'his' serfs..

Lords recruiting landless peasants from another lords village is not historical inaccuracy. The period of circa 1100 to the early 14th century saw a large growth of the population. Making it often impossible for not-firstborn to gain a modal property. Most of them therefore either had to work on the property of a lord or a farmer, specialize in a trade or go to the city to become a laborer. The High-Medieval population growth effectively created a social underclass of cheap laborers.

The best of these people were recruited by other lords as hospites tot colonize previously savage grounds. In return these colonists received farmland and certain rights as long as they payed the tithe. Some did not have to pay the tithe but in return did military service or had to be military reserve. Huge parts of Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and Sweden were cultivated by this way. The same accounts for large areas in Eastern Europe. Most known are probably the Transylvanian Saxons.

Some however had chosen another pathway. The emergence of f.i. Brabancon, Genuese, Iberian and Flemish professional soldiers was not only created by the demand for professional soldiers in the mid 12th to late 13th century. It was also by the rapid population boom in these areas that had young landless peasants search for opportunities in war.
  20. Frisicus

0.13 Testing Thread

Cèsar de Quart said:
    Korinov said:
    However, lowering the Guard Helmet to 40 and upgrading the Kettle Hat a little (38 maybe?) would do no harm  :wink:

Thinks like these are all up to the rest of you, I haven't even played the game for months.
    It would be fine with me to upgrade the kettle hat a bit and downgrade the guard helmet a little.:smile:
Back
Top Bottom