Search results for query: *

• Users: TYR
  • Order by date
  1. TYR

Greedy, Selfish, Jerks

You can also hold a smybel if you are married. Lords that attend will get a relationship boost. I do have the issue though that the lords hardly respond to my commands or invitations, on the battlefield and off it :/
  2. TYR

Need advice capturing Dun Taruo

I roleplayed as a viking in the current playthorugh which means negative relation with every chrisitian faction, that limits the number of enterprises to 5. Dont get me wrong I can handle anything M6B is throwing at me but it takes planninf and time, for the average player who does not have a thousand hours plus expirience this is very difficult.
  3. TYR

Cannot learn to read, companions run away, cheat for learning reading?

After some further research someone found the codeline for the latest version: 2.028

In  triggers.txt search and change in case someone needs it.

24.500000 0.000000 0.000000  0  147 2133 2 1224979098644774912 0 2133 2 1224979098644774913 100 6 3

and changing the 100 to 96969
  4. TYR

Thanks but that information seems to be outdated, the referred numbers are not be found in my triggers.txt.
  5. TYR

Well the curse of M&B the companion bubble hits me again, due to the forced 1 week wait to learn reading the happiness of one or two companions drops and I cannot prevent them from leaving. Since they turn into adventurers now these days I already lost 3 companions permanently. I cannot afford...
  6. TYR

what kind of formations do you use? do they matter?

The shieldwall in a tightened formation is best imo, the idea to mix in spearmen like suggested is not bad either. Most of the ai troops are spearmen and the ai usually uses a square formation, therefor it is an advantage to have more men in the melee line than your opponent, having some elite spearmen in the rows means they will hit their oponents earlier while in close quarters the swordsmen will destroy the spearmen. To fully utilize this it is nessecary to avoid a full contact. If the enemies are getting close step back and let them come. In the meanwhile pepper the flank with either skirmishers or archers.

To fully destroy an enemy infantry line you can flank them with a 2nd group of men, when the enemy turns their attention to them charge in the main line, they will get encircled by your in relation extended infantry main line and die like flies. I havent yet used cavalry in VQ, but skirmisher cavalry would be a tremendous asset if used well, as they can easily circle around the enemy main line and pepper their exposed backs.

As a general rule, a kill death ratio of 1/10 is what I get. Anything beyond that means I screwed up in command. In a perfect battle I lose less than 10 men 150 vs. ~250

7. TYR

Need advice capturing Dun Taruo

This is the most unbalanced quest in the storymode in my opinion. The task to take a castle in the enemies hinterland and hold it for roughly a month while not having an economic power base is quite tricky. The general strategy is to establish a hideout next to the castle at the coast, and upgrade it preferably to tier 3. There you can store your troops while you make loot runs i. e. killing caravans or small lords to even out the high costs of maintaining an army of 200+. Having a few farmsteads helps alot as well.

Once ou have a hardened force of about 120 men + some rabble like archers, you can assault the fortress, a quick solution is preferable as there is a high chance of an enemy response, if our unlucky you get swarmed by the marshal with 3+parties. Taking the fortress is quite easy, rush in with your shocktroops and massacre the garrison. Preferably wait until the lord is away, and you face about 300 men.

Once taken, transfer all your refuge troops into the holding, tier 1 or 2 troops will do. There is al ot of rabble running around in scotland you can recruit those guys. Now it depends on luck again if Alban will respond or not. Sometimes they attack the castle with 800+ men sometimes they dont. If  they do, Id rather run away and save the troops to attack it right after they left again. The timer wil be reset though.

You could also ask a friendly lord of your faction for help and hew will follow you. Its quite tricky to get him up there though, might try over the searoute.
  8. TYR

Battle of Aescendun

Depends on your performance but 30 Minutes I would estimate. There are about 1500 men in total, the battle will last as long as it takes to kill them. I would recommend to hold back your men and throw them into the enemys flank when they are engaged and are worn down to maximize the impact and minimize the losses. Once they fall back disengage, regroup and repeat. I played the battle about 3-4 times usually with a group of 90 men mostly heavy infantry and took out about 300 more men then our side lost. Btw you need to stay alive so no berserker runs.
  9. TYR

Reforged Edition news: Join the open beta!

Looking forward to it!  :cool:
  10. TYR

Story Siege Issues (Minor Spoilers)

lyingprophet said:
    The lord currently residing in Din Bych does not move away from the fort at all, even when I approach it in an attempt to bait him out. I quickly realized that my small party of forty men will never be able to overcome the 600 soldiers garrisoned within the fort

Did you import your character? If you did, it totally screws up the game difficulty, resulting in much larger parties and stronger garrisons.

I had on some ocasions big trouble to hold the castle, attacking 600 men isnt the real problem, holding it against multiple waves of 800+ attackers is. Heres an idea how to solve this:

1. Build your refuge next to the castle, so you can store your troops there, you will have to upgrade it to tier 3 in order to gather enough men.
    2. Attack and loot the corresponding village, keep that village looted at all times, it should dimish the strength of the castle defense.
    3. Build up your force, I suggest to train lots of archers, cheap ukpeep and in the attack they can decimate the enemy.
    4. Wait for your chance, at some point the lord will leave the castle, then you should have little trouble in taking it.
    5. Take the damn thing and ask for the castle. The best way is to put your heavies in charge while the archers harras the enemy, you need to break through their lines solo and then start attacking the men holding the breach to increase the space for your men. Once your heavies take more ground they will obliberate the enemy.

If you refused a fief or already got one, there is a chance that you do not get the castle, in that case your screwed, and its probably best to redo the whole thing by reatreating and taking it back once the enemy sieged it.

6. Once you have it, quickly move all your troops into the castle from your refuge. You need alot of troops to keep the enemy from attacking, 400+ would be good. Thats no garantuee but in my expirience it is quite discouraging.
    A good way to get more men quickly is to recruit the marauding bandit parties around, the footpads are quite cheap in upkeep and make up the bulk of these parties. You need to bring some cash though, expect 50k+ expenses.
    7. Beat up the enemy lords and reduce their forces, if they already launch an attack you have to draw one away and defeat him, repeat until they give up or launch the siege in case you join.

In general there is no garantee that you can hold it for 30 days, the mission is quite unfair and the difficulty can be easy to retarded depending on the overall game, it happened to me that I lost it with 300 men garrison while I was away, and so I had to redo the whole process.

11. TYR

Mission help [spoiler]

Depening on the game difficulty your player level and skill, you may need alot more men than 160, unless they are all danish elites / svear warriors or equivalent and your a level 50 berserkr called Rollo.

After Ascendun you are usually rewarded with 2 castles in the east angle area, these castles will have a garrison of over 100 men each, take those and with the additional 50 men you get before you attack the hideout you should have at least a chance.If you play on normal settings, you may need more men, as sven can field over 200 vikings, including 80 danish elites, that means you need >300 men.

Now it depends on your difficulty setting and player skill. When the battle starts there is not enough time to arrange troops, especially since sven attacks from the rear, the savest option is to order a full charge immidiately, most of your men will focus on the rear, you have to get behind those guys and attack from the rear and kill as many danish elites as possible. Depending on the player skill and level of the character you should be able to kill at least 50 men turning the tide in your favor. When you see that your men have the upper hand rush to the front and repeat. There it will be more difficult as you will get attacked so you cannot dish out as much but have to be more careful picking targets preferably stay on the flank and decimate them so your men can flank as well increasing the damage output.

Be careful once you won the battle outside, as there will be more to do inside, dont die.
  12. TYR

Question: Storyline Readingum. (Spoiler, only if you have finished SL)

And I wondered why noone mentioned this fight before  :mrgreen: On usual circumstances the battle is not winnable, by the time you would get there in the storyline. The only way to win is by taking the troops from ceded castles and let them be lost, and / or recruiting as many as you can before you attack. I have been playing this in 3 different playthroughs, on a normal difficulty of ~70% which means full damage to everybody and a battlesize of ~400. Iirc sven has 80 danish elite vikings and 120 vikings plus a few captains ~250 men, I attack with about 300, the 50 vikings you are given, the remaining forces from ascendun, roughly 60 heavies and your companions, plus any troops from the castles, propably another 150 spearman including elites.

The general tactic which has proofen most effective is a full assult, anything else isnt working. The key is to destroy the force in the back as fast as possible, with the player in the flank hitting the elites on their unprotected heads, which results in about 1 kill every 2 seconds. Still its a meatgrinder, this and the fortress taking are the worst. Infact holding the fortress for 30 days is even more difficult with an imported character, as the lord parties grow in size, I usually have to use 100k in cash to buy all the bandits around to quickly bolster the numbers so an attack is less likely, resulting in only 3 sieges with a thousand men or so  :razz:
  13. TYR

How to use formations?

Depends on the faction your playing and the faction you are fighting, as well as the terrain.

The most common way to beat an oposing force of a lordparty is to use flanking even if they outnumber you.

A common battle situation for me as playing viking faction against any lordparty roughly 150 vs 300:

Infantry: 50% ~ 60-80 men heavy infantry, consisting of as many svear warriors as you can get, veteran rekr and other heavy infantry units you gathered.
    Archers/Skirmishers: 50% Warrior Archers
    Shocktroops: ~20 men including your companions in a seperate group. You may want to add additional shocktroopers like elite vikings, ship captains, bandit leaders and alike, in general I use christian troops for this job as they will have a high probability to die  :twisted:

Not that I hardly ever use spearman, they are inferior in many ways, useful in defense but unless you want to micromanage even more using different stack sets, stick to heavies.

The formation looks like this at the start of the battle:
    Archers on the left, heavy in the centre shocktroops on the right flank, note that the infantry is deployed ahead to make sure it draws the attention.
    All units are in hold fire mode.

HHHHHHHHHHHHH
    AAAAAAAAAAAA                            SSS

When the enemy formation is approaching ~ 100m or less the archers are ordered to open fire, while the infantry slowly falls back

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AAAAAAAAAAA    HHHHHHHHHHHHH SSS

And further....

AAAAAAAAAA    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

HHHHHHHHHHHHHH  SSS

When the enemy closes in, all units open fire, javelins 20m or less. The archers are now firing into the unproteced flank and rear, the shocktroops engage, the enemy formation either rotates towards them completely exposes them or they suffer heavy casualities on both flanks, The infantry is allowed to engage, depending on the damage dealt and the total strength of the enemy but it does not charge until the odds are clearly in your favor. This usually happens when the enemy lost a considerable number of men, when the enemy falls back to regroup with its reinforcements the infantry charges them, while the archers hold fire to preserve arrows.

Using this tactic I beat enemy stacks twice as large or bigger with less than 6 casualities inflicting 300+

Archers are pretty gimped in this mod, javelins are much more effective but require precise timing and a source for this type of troops. So far I havent tested it on large scale but imagine having 50 skilled javelin throwers on the left flank throwing at close range into the ranks, it will be like a machine gun. Highwayman are particularly deadly in this role. And they are not shabby in mele as well.

14. TYR

Viking Conquest: Reforged Edition (Lastest features added, page 1) - 31/05/2015

Love everything so far, just one thing, please add the inventory box to all sieges, or alternatively the ammo reload feature from the sea battles. Its not uncommon for me to kill own people to get ammo  :twisted:
  15. TYR

saving village from bandits

ThorsHammer said:
    Must be your game, Ive cleared the bandits out countless times and I always tell my troops to stand back and sacrifice the farmers. Cost effective slaughter!

I would rather consider to tell everyone to stand back and let the companions do the work. Experience effective training especially for low level companions.
  16. TYR

Viking Conquest issues

I tryd to ransom a prisoner lord of my kingdom but it fails all the time imidiately, as well as a "default message" (gothi of the neutrtal) referring to a party the message was sent to.

[img=http://s15.postimg.org/q5xzcusxj/2015_05_12_00004.jpg]

The prison break in ceal cainnigh also seems to be bugged, the lord is hostile at the breakout as well as the citizens attack the guards. Has not happened anywhere else yet.
  17. TYR

Viking Conquest issues

Camp Warfare:
    The camp always gets looted at the start of the battle in camp defense battles resulting in the loss of a few hundred pennies.

The fortifified camp does not provide enough room to properly deploy the troops. The wooden pikes should be deployed about 20m in front of the tents in order to provide enough room to place the units.

The refuge is especially difficult to handle, more space would also improve the usability of fighting in this position rather than having the troops running around the wall outside.

Also the attacker spawns too close, leaving not enough time to arrange the troops.

Coastal attack:
    Coastal attacks do not trigger a war even when the city is occupied.

Dublin coastal attack needs a fix for the pathfinding of the defenders, they try to run through the closed wall/door towards the beach, leaving them in a zombielike state waiting to be slaughtered from behind.
  18. TYR

one of my companion disappeared

Same problem here, I have sent 2 companions on diplomatic missions and they havent returned since. The report says 3 days, it has been weeks. They are not held in prison either, as I tryd to ask to ransom a companion. Where exactly can I edit the savegame to unstuck them?

Ok, after quite abit of fiddling I figured it out.

Setting the occupation to 0 removed the companion from the party, however the current center must also be set to a defined number i.e. 27 for Dublin. After I did these 2 changes, my lost companion was waiting for me in the Pub in Dublin  :grin: Still leaves the issue with the stuck missions open.
  19. TYR

Largest Stable Companion parties chart please?

kraggrim said:

Thank you, that worked well, I played a couple of hours without any harrasment  :grin:
  20. TYR

Are you kidding me?

Not exactly on topic but the garrison unit types could take a look as well. Theres a hell alot of tier 1 units, a rich city like dublin should not be defended by 1200+ peasants and maybe 40 tier 3 and 4 troops. Made a coastal assault with three skeids and lost only 9 men  :roll:
Back
Top Bottom