Search results for query: *

1. SP Native [WB] Swadian Interregnum 1387 [WIP] (3 Mirrors)

I've just tried the beta of this mod and it looks really promising. Loving the look of the new armours, and I really like the basic idea of focusing on one kingdom.

What would be nice to see would be:

1) More bandits - the map is quite sparse and there's little to do in the early game, so more and varied bandit parties would be brilliant.

2) Troops need to use their polearms more often - this is a problem with the native game as far as I can tell. If a troop type has a one handed weapon and a polearm the will usually equip the one handed weapon, so you get a lot of troops running around fighting with clubs and daggers with bills strapped to their backs. I think if you want them to have polearms you have to make sure that's the only weapon they have.

3) Some slight differences in troop trees for different factions - for example, it's fairly usual for particular areas of medieval countries to be famous for producing particular types of troops. In England for instance the Welsh marches were known to produce excellent archers, while the Scottish marches in the north tended to supply light cavalry (hobilars or scurrers).

Anyway, good luck with your work, and thanks!
  2. Help me... This is terrible... [changing faith]

Abyrvalg said:
    I wonder how often such things happened by then.
    I mean, changing sides or religion. I know it was not unusual for some leader to change sides in the War of the Roses, or convert from Catholicism to Protestantism (or vice versa) during French Wars of Religion, but what about VII century Britain?

PS Nice pic you have in your sig Sarmatian_warrior  :smile:

Lots of kings and other people converted from paganism to Christianity in this period, usually under the influence of a powerful Christian King. For instance Peada son of Penda of Mercia is converted to Christianity when he wants to marry the daughter of Oswiu of Northumbria. Some also convert back to Paganism in times of trouble. Off the top of my head I think the Kings of Sussex do this...
  3. Why is this mod dead?

I think the reason is basically just that this was a massively over ambitious project with one guy working on it!
  4. B Native Musket Era [WB] Renaissance Mod - Beta Released

That picture must be the cleanest interpretation of Tudor England I've ever seen! Even the contents of the woman's latrine that she's throwing out of the window are totally clear. I think if you covered everyone in that picture in more ****, and the streets, you would have a pretty accurate view of renaissance England! :wink:
  5. Fiction about Dark Ages - Novels. What read

These are great books - they're sort of alternate history works if I remember rightly, where the protagonist invents all sorts of relatively advanced siege engines like trebuchets, and the pagan vikings get themselves organised to wage a full on war against the Church.
  6. what to do about Connaught?

Also, it's only historically accurate because that's what actually happened in the real world - there were a number of points where things could easily have gone the other way, and in an alternate timeline, I think that's fair enough.
  7. The Dictionary - what do the words mean?

MangoMeerkat said:
    wild guess here but does Crafu=Cheshire

It's the origin of the place name Craven, though not the one in Yorkshire in this case!
  8. Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation

Yup he doesn't like those Britons. He was prbably one of the cleverest men this Island has ever produced though. Very smart guy, great writer,  massively influential intellectual throughout the middle ages.
  9. News 1.36: RELEASE 19/08/2011

Cool photos! Hope you enjoyed your visit!
  10. New scenes (update 30/12/2011: Saxon Village p. 32)

Brilliant! Soon there'll be no native scenes left!
  11. I'm really tired with "Honor" !!!

About atrocities committed against other cultures, from Bede, an Angle:

"In the year of our Lord's incarnation 684, Ecgfrith, King of the Northumbrians, sending Beohrt, his general, with an army into Ireland miserably wasted that harmless nation which had always been most friendly to the Englisc; insomuch that in their hostile rage they spared not even the churches and monasteries...those that were justly cursed on account of their impiety did soon suffer the penalty of their guilt from the avenging hand of God."

I think King Ecgfrith definately lost some honour points there.
  12. Are there any plate mail or full plate armors?

cpkuntz said:
    This is the main complaint I had with the film Excalibur.  Of course, the film doesn't pretend to be an exploration of the historical Arthur, and is more of a fantasy film, but I think they could have shot the same film and had the knights wearing glimmering suits of mail rather than plate and had a somewhat more authentic effect while retaining the fantasy.

It's based on Malory's Morte D'Arthur which was written in the 15th century. Throughout the middle ages Arthur an his knights were dressed in contemprary costume. Anyway, it's just iconic for Arthur to be the original "knight in shining armour", which to most people is plate armour.
  13. Obtaining pregnancy....

In Irish law you're allowed to have several different spouses. There were even different "grades" of husbands and wives. The first wife, as a point of interest, was allowed to beat up second and subsequent wives for a period after the marriage.
  14. Please Consider Idibil

UnholyNighmare said:
    So feasting with your gods in Valhalla is miserable? Everyone had a chance to reach Valhalla through their thoughts and actions on earth. Oh, wait, that sounds vaguely familiar :neutral:
    Christianity did not start as a slave religion in the Roman Empire. It started as an off-branch to Judaism which is one of the oldest religions of the world. Naturally, it would spread to other parts of the empire, but at that time it consisted of poor and rich alike already.

There's no evidence that Anglo-Saxon pagans had any concept similar to Valhalla. Some sort of ancestor worship or veneration may have been practiced, but beyond that we don't know what sort of afterlife they believed in. Also, Valhalla in later Viking belief is a paradise designed for and reserved for the warrior aristocracy, not really for the ordinary "man on the farm."
  15. SUGGESTIONS (read 1 post before replying)

Stitch74 said:
    I hear it rains a lot in the British Isles.

Actually we only tell people that to keep them from visiting us. Really it's a tropical paradise here where we all sit on the bezch all day sipping daquiris!  :wink:
  16. Mead and cattle: suggestions for our warrior societies

Most estimates I've read for Britain's population in this period hover around the 2 million mark, so 3 million including Ireland doesn't sound too ridiculous.
  17. BUG Reports v 1.34

JHaukewood said:
    For some reason, the lamellar textures always show up as though they weren't uvmapped, so that the texture is splashed over the model. The same thing happened with the previous patch, not just 1.34. I don't know what causes this, or if anyone else is experiencing the same issue, but any advice would be appreciated.

I've had this since the early release of Brytenwalda - the lamellar textres have never worked properly for me. Very weird, and I would love to see it fixed, since they look like nice models.
  18. SP Antiquity [WB] SUMO PARS - STARTING OVER

Oooh! Excitement! Also, have you contacted the Brytenwalda team? You might be able to use a few of those items. The less models you have to make, after all, the more you can concentrate on coding in lovely new gaming features...
  19. Why so many elite men?

Lamias said:
    Is so many elite men historically accurate? I thought that in the Dark Ages the armies consisted mainly from peasants and the likes, and only a few soldiers (usually lesser nobles) were able to afford top training and gear.

So i find it strange that Cyning Cynegils has 300 soldiers of whom the 200 are Hearthweru Seaxe (elite unit). Is there anyway to change it or we have to wait for fix?

There's actually very little evidence that peasants took part in warfare during this period. Lords also regularly seem to have had hearthwerods of 80 men or thereabouts, so it may not be entirely realistic, although it would make playing the game a bit difficult...

But Bede tells a story about a Northumbrian warrior who gets captured by the Mercians and tries to ge away by claiming to be a peasant(rusticus), not a warrior (miles), but they recognise him by his accent! It sort of suggests that peasants only travelled with armies to fetch and carry and were regarded as non-combatants.
Back
Top Bottom